• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Apr16| Here today, Gon for three years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dumb question: If I don't renew Amazon Prime, do I still get all the benefits for pre-orders? My subscription expires in a little over a week and I can't get the student discount anymore. I'm wondering if I should just pre-order a bunch of things before it expires and then cancel if I don't have the money when they release.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Dumb question: If I don't renew Amazon Prime, do I still get all the benefits for pre-orders? My subscription expires in a little over a week and I can't get the student discount anymore. I'm wondering if I should just pre-order a bunch of things before it expires and then cancel if I don't have the money when they release.
Yes, if you pre-order items but then have your trial or membership expire, then you'll keep those benefits as long as you don't mess with the order's shipping & such.

I did a bunch of pre-orders with my Prime trial & I still had them arrive in one or two days & kept the 20% off.

Yes, if you pre-order items but then have your trial or membership expire, then you'll keep those benefits as long as you don't mess with the order's shipping & such.

I did a bunch of pre-orders with my Prime trial & I still had them arrive in one or two days & kept the 20% off.

Ok doing that then. Should I put everything in separate orders?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
If you want, I guess. I just did them separately so I could easy keep track of each date of when they'd ship, but I guess it's fine to do them in one order. Just remember to have it so each item ships on its own instead of having it be done where you'd have to wait for all of them to be shipped together in one package.

Mizerman

On Topic:

Despite my lack of enthusiasm for Dimension W, I'd take it any day over mind numbing junk like SAO or AGK. Toonami seems to be in a pretty good place right now with shows and ratings.

Off Topic:

There are a lot of games coming out soon I'm really looking forward to even though I don't have the time to play them. One that doesn't have a ton of hype around it is Xanadu Next, which I've heard good things about for a while and wanted to play for years - it's great that XSEED is doing an official release sometime soonish. On a superficial level, it kinda stinks that 2016 seems to be so loaded when I'm finishing up my degree, but talking with my advisor about 'when I get my PhD' and such, now having a defense date, seeing a light at the end of the tunnel, it's all pretty exciting and satisfying.

Sorry I just needed some positivity :)

Seda, you must summon every ounce of your shonen willpower.

If you want, I guess. I just did them separately so I could easy keep track of each date of when they'd ship, but I guess it's fine to do them in one order. Just remember to have it so each item ships on its own instead of having it be done where you'd have to wait for all of them to be shipped together in one package.

When Amazon had the 15% off of pre-orders around Cyber Monday I had issues cancelling it. I wanted to cancel one of the games, but they said if I cancelled one of them it would remove the discount from all of them. Not sure if I'll have that issue again.

Jarate

Banned
I am currently in Nebraska on my way to San Fran after driving around 10ish hours today

The first hotel I went too said they were charging 110$ for a room. No fucking way I'm spending 110 dollars to stay in Nebraska. Hotel across the street only cost 70$

Also, I tried to pick up a lead in post count before next months thread, but I think Line is gonna catch up to me :/

Seda

I am currently in Nebraska on my way to San Fran after driving around 10ish hours today

The first hotel I went too said they were charging 110$ for a room. No fucking way I'm spending 110 dollars to stay in Nebraska. Hotel across the street only cost 70$

Also, I tried to pick up a lead in post count before next months thread, but I think Line is gonna catch up to me :/

Driving all the way across the country?

and Line's PPD count is pretty nuts.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
OPM is a gag batle manga with typically incredibly short chapters consisting of 1 or 2 jokes. Some chapters consist of a single punch or attack sequence drawn in incredible detail

Dimension W is a plot/exposition heavy series.

bigkrev

Dude, get the fuck out of Nebraska!

Jarate

Banned
Driving all the way across the country?

and Line's PPD count is pretty nuts.

Yeah, my mom didn't want to rent a car, and I've got some friends to visit in Colorado on my way back

I've done this drive before. Its like 31 hours total. I really like driving through Utah and most states in the southwest. Really beautiful scenery and no billboards too. Plus, I get to listen to podcasts and books on tape which is generally the only time I listen to stuff like that.

Jarate

Banned
So I decided that I wanted to try manga for the first time. I downloaded the Manga Starter Pack off of Amazon for my Kindle. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B012PHRF5I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It comes with five different series. Naruto, Bleach, Food Wars, All You Need is Kill, and One Piece. Which one would you recommend as a good starting point?

One Piece manga is better then the Anime as long as you can handle some translation oddities like "Zolo"

If you're generally looking for recommendations, I think the 2 best manga I've ever read were Berserk and Vagabond, although I haven't read too much Manga (really expensive to get into series)

I'm reading fist of the north star currently, and its weird to say that in a lot of ways I prefer the anime's pacing and style, although the manga has some really awesome gore and is basically the most metal manga on earth

So I decided that I wanted to try manga for the first time. I downloaded the Manga Starter Pack off of Amazon for my Kindle. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B012PHRF5I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It comes with five different series. Naruto, Bleach, Food Wars, All You Need is Kill, and One Piece. Which one would you recommend as a good starting point?

Food Wars to start off with something light, All You Need is Kill since it's short and sweet, then Naruto since it's pretty good in the beginning and already done and One Piece to finish it off so you can get started on your lifelong fandom. Bleach never because although it was good in the beginning it quickly spirals downward and Kubo hasn't put it out of its misery yet.

Jarate

Banned
If by become Hokage you mean take the Leaf down from within, then maybe.

It is most certainly Naruto related. A hero will come back. Gonna still do one Trigun a week with more detail.

Are you going to review that Rock Lee chibi show?

Or are you going to bring back Ino gif spam

I shall wait for this day

Moaradin

We're almost out of Naruto filler hell in both Toonami and the Japanese airing. Toonami has a pretty good stretch of decent Naruto. Hopefully they don't fuck up the final stretch!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Are you going to review that Rock Lee chibi show?

Or are you going to bring back Ino gif spam

I shall wait for this day

I've decided to do all my review projects that I left incomplete. So you could sift through my post history and figure out what I intend to do, or you can just wait until Monday. I won't gif spam anymore, but link stuff instead. If a review only has 1-2 gifs then I'll post them because why not.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Real Talk: This is probably the fourth time I've seen Samurai Champloo, and it still really hasn't grown on me. I appreciate it a lot, the music is great, some of the episodes stuck with me (mainly the comedy ones) but I think M&H does an all around better job telling this type of story.

Soulflarz

Banned
Real Talk: This is probably the fourth time I've seen Samurai Champloo, and it still really hasn't grown on me. I appreciate it a lot, the music is great, some of the episodes stuck with me (mainly the comedy ones) but I think M&H does an all around better job telling this type of story.

I dunno TUSR, I feel like while SC isn't 10/10, M&H has some odd characterization at times which is a real let down for me.

Just pre-ordered a bunch of games on Amazon before my Prime membership runs out. The games I have pre-ordered are:

No Man's Sky - Limited Edition (already had it pre-ordered)
Kirby: Planet Robobot
The Legend of Zelda Wii U
The Last Guardian
Pokémon Moon
Horizon: Zero Dawn
Final Fantasy XV (will probably end up cancelling since I didn't like the demo)
Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue
Kingdom Hearts 3

Line_HTX

On Topic:

Despite my lack of enthusiasm for Dimension W, I'd take it any day over mind numbing junk like SAO or AGK. Toonami seems to be in a pretty good place right now with shows and ratings.

YES, thank you! I acknowledge all of the dumb flaws and weird logic explanations in Dimension W, but nothing can ever be worse than Akame ga Shit. Nothing.

And best of luck to you Seda! Keep up the positivity and you are almost there! I'm cheerin for ya, so go get it!!

I've only watched One Piece the last 2 weeks. DBZ is boring for another episode (although I'll probably watch it), lost interest in Dimension W and nothing else really interests me, at least until Naruto gets out of filler hell.

Raxus

I've only watched One Piece the last 2 weeks. DBZ is boring for another episode (although I'll probably watch it), lost interest in Dimension W and nothing else really interests me, at least until Naruto gets out of filler hell.

Really? Not even Champloo or HxH?

Timey Wimey stuff aside I really love the arc DBZ is getting into.

Jarate

Banned
Dimension Wumbo has some really good moments, but a lot of really dull and poorly explained moments. I think it would stand up better in a different environment from our group watch because paying attention to two things can be tough, and Dimension W doesn't always explain things well

It also has an issue of showing characters I don't really care about all that much, and to be honest, I don't really care for Kyoma too much, Mira kind of sucks too.

But I'd rate it about a 5/10 from my experience as a media viewer which is my default average score. I think I'd be a lot more harsh if Loser wasn't in the show, he's by far the best character and really the only one I honestly care to see. His motivations are actually interesting.

zulux21

of those naruto likely starts off the strongest. Bleach has a decent intro as well. I don't actually know all you need is kill but one piece has a weak opening and food wars is just downright bad to start with (and I say this as someone who actively reads the manga and is pumped for the next season of anime) the first 4 chapters of food wars or so are just garbage tier. same with the anime as it's a close adaption the first bit is just bad. really bad. The artist was a hentai drawer before soma and the start clearly feels like someone who doesn't think their work will stand on its own at all. luckily that gets fixed after a bit but I just want to be clear that the start is really really bad. (and then it gets much much better)

One Piece manga is better then the Anime as long as you can handle some translation oddities like "Zolo"

I vastly prefer the one piece anime through the halloween arc.
after that they both are quite flawed but in general I prefer to watch shounen series animated.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wow, I heard the new PPG was bad but jesus. What happened? Did these episodes leak with rough drafts of the footage?
It took me a minute to realize what was wrong, but damn.

Cg67oNuWgAAzISc.jpg:large

At least with animation errors in the '80s & early '90s, it was all hand-drawn & such, so it was more understandable, especially when you had a popular show & had to crank out a ton of episodes.

Raxus

The person uploading has a gif of a dog's leash just up and disappearing.

I really want to know if these are the final edits of the episodes cause....wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom