• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Apr16| Here today, Gon for three years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

So I went back to check out the Dimension W manga and you remember the episode with the water ghosts? Yeah, that is like chapter 30 of the manga.

Although they haven't been published in english yet there is apparently ~70 chapters in all and I am pretty sure the anime wants to cover all of it in 12 episodes. It explains a lot.

One Punch Man almost caught up to its manga material before it ended as well.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So I went back to check out the Dimension W manga and you remember the episode with the water ghosts? Yeah, that is like chapter 30 of the manga.

Although they haven't been published in english yet there is apparently ~70 chapters in all and I am pretty sure the anime wants to cover all of it in 12 episodes. It explains a lot.

What the fuck?!
So did they skip a lot of story or did the first three episodes rush through the manga material like a blitzkrieg? I have to imagine it's the former, Dimension W is a monthly manga and that can cover like one or two chapters in a 23 minute episode.

One Punch Man managed to burn through 7 volumes (out of 10 right now) and kept pretty much everything. Who wrote the Dimension W adaptation?

OPM is also a gag series, its chapters are really short, and ever 5 chapters is just murata gif show off material. I say this as someone who really likes dimension w and hasn't had any issues following the characters or the technobabble. Moe butt bot Mira is the best character by far I really enjoy her.

Raxus

What the fuck?!
So did they skip a lot of story or did the first three episodes rush through the manga material like a blitzkrieg? I have to imagine it's the former, Dimension W is a monthly manga and that can cover like one or two chapters in a 23 minute episode.

I wish I could have more to compare it to but the current english releases seem to stop at 30 although there are images of the Japanese volumes that clearly show characters from the recent episode. I'd have to do a full sit down to see what was left out (if anything) but I'd say up to the ghost episode the anime has stayed pretty loyal to the material.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So it's sounding like it's more of a bad adaptation instead of just a "meh" anime that goes waaaay too fast & dumps too much exposition at once.

Korigama

I am actually trying to think of another Toonami show where I cared less about what was going on then in Dimension W. The dub is decent but I don't really care for the story or world building at all.
Sword Art Online (pretty easy answer for me, anyway). Dimension W is needlessly rushed and condensed in adapting it from its source material, but I still actually like it.

Of course, I could just as easily say Naruto, since I dropped that before getting to Shippuden and couldn't be bothered to return after trying that.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Now I can't help but imagine the fade being applied to other Viz properties like Final Act.

........or One Punch Man oh god the cut for that is gonna suck.......

Moaradin

That HxH edit is so lazy. Especially since they could have just started from the middle of the song and ended at the chorus with minimal effort and achieved pretty much the same runtime.

Hopefully they'll try again for the alternative versions? Viz has been known to randomly re-edit their OPs and EDs before...

Seda

By the way, assuming the recent pattern of show announcements stays intact, we'll hear about Dimension W's replacement on Friday May 6.

Dimension W will be reaired so that we can understand the plot this time around obviously.

I really don't get how so many people are having a hard time following the plot of Dimension W, maybe it's because I've been mostly watching on DVR and not splitting my focus between posting and watching but the series isn't that complicated. The only thing that got remotely complicated was the ghost dimension episode.

Raxus

I really don't get how so many people are having a hard time following the plot of Dimension W, maybe it's because I've been mostly watching on DVR and not splitting my focus between posting and watching but the series isn't that complicated. The only thing that got remotely complicated was the ghost dimension episode.

I can follow the gist of the episodes but when I am trying to read GAF and listen to the show it is difficult.

Seda

I can follow the gist of the episodes but when I am trying to read GAF and listen to the show it is difficult.

Not going to lie, I don't really know what's going on. It's one of those shows where everything is so dense, if you miss out on one small exchange of dialogue if you lose focus for even a moment, and you lose sense of what is happening. Michiko and Hatchin was somewhat similar in how it presented it's narrative, with several non-linear jumps from the past to present to past again. I think a big difference in the inclusion of the supernatural, which adds another layer of understanding world rules on top of character motivations and events. EDIT: Also, M&H episodes were largely standalone anyway, where Dimension W's are not.

I said this before though, the main issue is that Dimension W hasn't earned my interest in its exposition.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think it could be the fact we're trying to split attention to reading & making posts might play a part in it, but I'd say it's also just because there's so much to take in at once. I actually was able to understand episode 5's whole "it was another dimension affected by the lake water" but it took a few minutes for my brain to comprehend it. Same goes for this episode, it's throwing so many details at once, it's hard to let one detail sink in without trying to hear another one.

Again, I think part of the problem is hearing that it's trying to cram so many chapters into the manga into a 12-episode series while also leaving out some details that probably would've made it easier to understand. But instead of spreading the details out over more episodes to let the info sink into the viewer's mind, it's pulling a Final Act & just trying to cram all that it possibly can.

I think it's safe to say the more plot-heavy a show is, the harder it makes for a group watch when your attention is also on seeing what other's are saying.

Yep it's honestly not as complicated as you're making it out to be, but shows like Dimension W and Yamato really don't work for the group watch chat along unless you've already seen the show and don't need to focus on the plot exposition to follow what's going on. When you can you realize it's not really as complex as it appears and the show has basically built the premise by which these story arcs are centered (the numbers which cause extreme abnormalities with dimension w).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Freakin' hell, I lost a bit of a post I had typed up due to my network adapter crapping out.

Basically, I agree with Seda's points & on a rewatch, I feel like we'd be able to catch some details we might've missed due to group watching.

Soulflarz

Banned
Yep it's honestly not as complicated as you're making it out to be, but shows like Dimension W and Yamato really don't work for the group watch chat along unless you've already seen the show and don't need to focus on the plot exposition to follow what's going on. When you can you realize it's not really as complex as it appears and the show has basically built the premise by which these story arcs are centered (the numbers which cause extreme abnormalities with dimension w).

Yamato

I openly said it during the group watch
I didn't like Yamato there, and wasn't willing to finish it tbh.

Theres a diff between a movie you can commentate the first time and one you can't, and this is definitely cannot territory.

While I don't disagree that parts of Dimension W probably get lost in our viewing format, I think that also undersells how it doesn't feel intentionally dense; it feels dense as a result of its often mediocre writing. It's not really complex so much as it is a 30 car pileup of plot points and characters that are not particularly engaging. That may just be because of the decision to cram that many chapters into a small episode count, but I think that one episode with Mira buying a trailer has been the only indication that any of this is interesting beyond a very surface-level "this is sort of cool" thing. There's a lot of stuff going on that just feels like a combination of random Cool Anime Tropes™ rather than anything I would legitimately care about.

Line_HTX

Not going to lie, I don't really know what's going on. It's one of those shows where everything is so dense, if you miss out on one small exchange of dialogue if you lose focus for even a moment, and you lose sense of what is happening. Michiko and Hatchin was somewhat similar in how it presented it's narrative, with several non-linear jumps from the past to present to past again. I think a big difference in the inclusion of the supernatural, which adds another layer of understanding world rules on top of character motivations and events. EDIT: Also, M&H episodes were largely standalone anyway, where Dimension W's are not.

I said this before though, the main issue is that Dimension W hasn't earned my interest in its exposition.

Admittedly, I wish it didn't take my 2nd watch around to finally get what was going on.

I still enjoy the show for both the opening and ending and for Mira's interactions.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Was it said if Viz went to DeMarco or the other way around when it came to HxH? I could've sworn it was DeMarco going to Viz & they agreed. Just wondering if maybe Dimension W will be replaced by another Viz show or if Funimation already had something else lined up (like My Hero Academia hopefully).

Was it said if Viz went to DeMarco or the other way around when it came to HxH? I could've sworn it was DeMarco going to Viz & they agreed. Just wondering if maybe Dimension W will be replaced by another Viz show or if Funimation already had something else lined up (like My Hero Academia hopefully).

I'm not sure where this I saw this and it might not be true, but I think Viz said they actually pitch every show to Toonami.

BatDan

It feels like all Nintendo discussion these days is only two points.
"Where's the NX?"
"Argle Bargle Localziation is the Worst"

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
While looking though DeMarco's ask.fm to see if he mentioned it, he stated there isn't gonna be any more tumblr Q&As since they basically talk about stuff via Pre-Flight. But I can't seem to find who came to who about the show, but I'm just glad Viz is back on board which increases chances of other shows that we really want from possibly happenning.

"Where's the NX?"
"ugh ANOTHER censored game on a Nintendo platform, thanks Nintendobama"

BatDan

You forgot one.

"Nintendo sucks blargle blargle. Doesn't make orginal IP yadda yadda."

Splatoon kind of quashed that one for a while.
And people still ignore Xenoblade and W101

"ugh ANOTHER censored game on a Nintendo platform, thanks Nintendobama"

Is it that hard to talk about the game part of the game?
And really, if less bikinis and tits angers you that much, then you clearly have bigger problems.

Pre-release discussion of anything is basically awful. I'd much rather talk impressions and experiences over speculation and assumptions.

So, that's about 80% of threads I avoid.

That's a wise choice.
There's a lot less heat on Fire Emblem Fates now that it's actually out.

Seda

Pre-release discussion of anything is basically awful. I'd much rather talk impressions and experiences over speculation and assumptions.

Mizerman

You don't hear much of that one lately. Localization seems to be taking precedence over it.

Heh. For now.

It's like a never-ending cycle.

Splatoon kind of quashed that one for a while.
And people still ignore Xenoblade and W101

Oh, it has. And I'm glad for that.

Still, some people will keep bringing it up.

A wise decision.

That's also true. That in mind, I feel like pre-release discussion being largely about what might get gutted in the western release is worse than, say, a game in beta with quite a few major issues that need to be worked out.

Crocodile

It's less that Dimension W is incomprehensible but rather they just kind of throw a million things at you at once and the world is some weird hodge podge of concepts and ideas. It can be confusing because of bad writing and a less than ideal adaptation (which seems to be a function of stuffing a million manga chapters into 12 episodes) not because the material is "so deep".

"Where's the NX?"

You forgot one.

"Nintendo sucks blargle blargle. Doesn't make orginal IP yadda yadda."

I mean the Wii U generation is winding down. There just isn't much left to talk about aside from the future. Maybe the lack of actual Nintendo related topics is the reason localization issues are getting such a light shone on them?

Is it that hard to talk about the game part of the game?
And really, if less bikinis and tits angers you that much, then you clearly have bigger problems.

People are allowed to be annoyed or upset by localization changes. They just aren't allowed to be lunatics or psychopaths about it. Gameplay is always the most important part of a game and it should trump other topics. Still, we aren't playing "Stick Figure Man - The Game". The ancillary stuff matters too :p

Seda

On Topic:

Despite my lack of enthusiasm for Dimension W, I'd take it any day over mind numbing junk like SAO or AGK. Toonami seems to be in a pretty good place right now with shows and ratings.

Off Topic:

There are a lot of games coming out soon I'm really looking forward to even though I don't have the time to play them. One that doesn't have a ton of hype around it is Xanadu Next, which I've heard good things about for a while and wanted to play for years - it's great that XSEED is doing an official release sometime soonish. On a superficial level, it kinda stinks that 2016 seems to be so loaded when I'm finishing up my degree, but talking with my advisor about 'when I get my PhD' and such, now having a defense date, seeing a light at the end of the tunnel, it's all pretty exciting and satisfying.

Sorry I just needed some positivity :)

Soulflarz

Banned
This review is so quotable

he called the male lead a pervert
as a positive aspect of the game

he said the combat is customizable and complex, what the hell.

asgdhjasfk I'm offended

^STAY HAPPY SEDA

BBboy20

That's also true. That in mind, I feel like pre-release discussion being largely about what might get gutted in the western release is worse than, say, a game in beta with quite a few major issues that need to be worked out.
Apparently sex is a much more violent instigator then bad 0s and 1s.

Though, apparently both Fatal Frame 5 and possibly #FE had/have narrative moments that worked best with female characters wearing bikinis to show an vunerable state and social commentary on gravure lifestyles so concerns about dulling out narrative moments is a legit concern...but this isn't what most "CENCORSHIP" peeps are talking (and probably thinking) about and what I just described is most likely a rare occurrence anyways since...well, going by how the new Mirror's Edge story is turning out...most gaming storytellers still have a long ways to go.

Apparently sex is a much more violent instigator then bad 0s and 1s.

Though, apparently both Fatal Frame 5 and possibly #FE had/have narrative moments that worked best with female characters wearing bikinis to show an vulnerable state and social commentary on gravure lifestyles so concerns about dulling out narrative moments is a legit concern...but this isn't what most "CENCORSHIP" peeps are talking (and probably thinking) about and what I just described is most likely a rare occurrence anyways since...well, going by how the new Mirror's Edge story is turning out...most gaming storytellers still have a long ways to go.

The TMS thread actually talked about that quite a bit and how the western release of TMS could do the same thing that Fatal Frame did for what it's worth.

And we're rooting for you Seda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom