• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Apr16| Here today, Gon for three years

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckohler

Time for sleep.

I hope I didn't piss off Regiruler earlier. He sounded kinda upset. :/
I was just poking a little fun at Shippuden.

After I read through the entire Hunter X Hunter manga, I was left with an overwhelming mixed feeling on it. Especially after the Chimera Ant arc which thoroughly exhausted me with it's length and consistent downer feel. I ended up not liking that arc in particular. I thought the Hunter Exam was where it peaked in enjoyment for me.

So after coming off of that and coming to realize just how many people like it and enjoy it, I realized that I understand the appeal but also get that there's just some things about it that don't click with me as well.

So I thought watching the new anime would give me a better opinion on it. I watched some of it and now I'm left regretting that a bit since I couldn't have forseen Toonami getting it. Oh well. At least with it dubbed it'll be an interesting contrast.

Korigama

More or less missed the entirety of the EDT schedule (only half-awake during One Piece)...oh well, recorded what I usually do, and will just continue watching the Western broadcast.

Line_HTX

WVW69jElPx4xPUUeBv

WVW69jEnUSkrBv6WMy

WVW69jEneHc5KaV9x9

Interstate Toonami, haha.

Elena outfit... God, I bet those store employees wanted that fitted on.

That wall of monologue looks like freaking Nietzsche quotes. Something something abyss stares back at you.

Korigama

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought boy Elena with the younger prince. The Blue Mary nod in the Kai panel isn't lost on me, either.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Interstate Toonami, haha.

Elena outfit... God, I bet those store employees wanted that fitted on.

That wall of monologue looks like freaking Nietzsche quotes. Something something abyss stares back at you.

The interstatey-lookign sign is actually one of like... 4 different logos for the old "You're Under Arrest" manga series (of which one of the cover people is suppose to be Miyuki Kobayashi). I think I kinda failed at that myself, though, lol. Though I always have fun trying to draw Kōsuke Fujishima style.

JAMBO! Beats in beats in beats...

It made me feel as if I was looking at some creepy cultish webpage from the 90s, ha. Mission accomplished?

Lol @ Elena.

Rashido's assistant also reminded me of Aila from Suikoden Series:

suikoden3_aila_profile.jpg

Save for the Blonde Beach babe type, this episode just celebrated every dark-skin Anime character from the past 20 years!

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought boy Elena with the younger prince. The Blue Mary nod in the Kai panel isn't lost on me, either.

*highfives*

Also, fail on me for not recognizing Blue Mary, SAB. :X

Mary's a bit non-descript without the color and seeing the big star on her leg, I totally understand, heh. I tried to put a few nods in to help!

I'll probably find a way to sneak in an SNK nod each week until KoF XIV releases, lol.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I will say this right now, I really hope MHA waits to get onto Toonami, the series is shonen as fuck and I am getting exhausted at the thought of more shonen as fuck series on the block.

Jarate

Banned
Yeah, I think the only show that isn't basically "shonen as fuck" is Parasyte, and even that is pretty much Shonen as fuck, unless you specifically dislike "started from the bottom now we here"

Also, the first episode covers only half the first chapter while maintaining an excellent pace. God I hope this does well in Japan so we can get a lot more of it

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Yeah, I think the only show that isn't basically "shonen as fuck" is Parasyte, and even that is pretty much Shonen as fuck, unless you specifically dislike "started from the bottom now we here"

Also, the first episode covers only half the first chapter while maintaining an excellent pace. God I hope this does well in Japan so we can get a lot more of it

Well, there is Samurai Champloo and Dimension W, though both will be ending soon enough.

Jarate

Banned
Well, there is Samurai Champloo and Dimension W, though both will be ending soon enough.

Both of which are pretty shonen as fuck tbh just not in the modern sense. Dimension Wumbo kind of reminds me of Fist of the North Star in a way

I get where you're coming from, but I think most shonens kind of deviate from each other enough in terms of storytelling, world building and stylization that it shouldn't be a problem. One Piece and Naruto are both shonen as fuck, but both are so wildly different in terms of how they approach their storytelling and character building that they don't seem like similar shows.

Also, My Hero Academy is way more slice of life. Its more like Harry Potter then it is about battle shonen like other shonen are. A lot of what makes it good are the fantastic characters, and considering the first episode really introduces so few of an absolute monster of a cast, that your opinion might change

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I hope so, it is the first episode, I just can't get over the fact that it felt like Naruto Superhero Edition in its first outing.

Jarate

Banned
I hope so, it is the first episode, I just can't get over the fact that it felt like Naruto Superhero Edition in its first outing.
Its similar to Blue Excorsist in a lot of ways (but actually good)

Also, it does share some similarities to Naruto, but you'll see how heavily that changes. MHA is very much derivative of Harry Potter, and I can't really say the same about Naruto as being similar to that

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Morning everyone. I see people are enjoying My Hero Academia. I'll get to that soon.

Dragon Ball Z Kai:
When Toriyama's editors said the first Androids sucked, he made three new ones that looked more human. Hence we have the cybernetic & sarcastic 17 and 18, and the fully robotic and focused 16. Yeah it's kind of confusing as 17 and 18 are more cyborgs than androids.
Also, Vegeta and Trunks being crazy. Runs in the family.

Dimension W:
More Ian Sinclair baby! This time playing an African prince looking to start a war. He comes with a weeaboo robot too. Plus some Kyoma backstory so that's useful.

Parasyte:
You know, this show was alright. It had issues but it was enjoyable. But this fucking episode. Did we need long ass monologues about the environment? On top of a short "humans are the real monsters" spiel? I have to wonder if the Studio Ghibli version would have been this hamfisted if it was ever made.
Final next week. Let's see how it all wraps up.

Samurai Champloo:
Mugen's backstory! Screwed over by that asshole, but then screwed over by someone he thought was a friend. That ending though, ice fucking cold. A real Watanabe ending.

Naruto Shipp-zzzzzzzzzzzzz:
How are there six more episodes of this?

One Piece:
Thriller Bark gets spookier, the trees are alive, and ZOMBIES! Talking zombies too. But Chopper gets to meet the legendary Dr. Hogback, and his plate hating servant Cindry. Fos fos fos fos!

Seda

It'll be nice when Naruto is out of filler. I don't like the next canon set as much as the Immortals stuff, but it's still probably better than anything in the first ~50 episodes of Shippuden and like 1000% better that what we are seeing currently. Also, Naruto''s presence is dramatically reduced throughout, which is typically a good thing.

Rashido's assistant also reminded me of Aila from Suikoden Series:

suikoden3_aila_profile.jpg

I knew that hair/design reminded me of /something/. While I'm sure there are other characters that are also similar, this was what I thinking of.

Dragon Ball Z Kai:
Also, Vegeta and Trunks being crazy. Runs in the family.

I don't think Future Trunks is crazy. Usually his decisions/actions feel the most grounded to me when compared to the other Saiyans (besides Gohan). Buu-saga Kid Trunks is a little shit, though.

My Hero Academia - Episode 1 a.k.a. All Might Greatness

HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!
HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!

Bones hit the ground running. I'm glad they didn't blitz through the emotional character building flashback.

On another note, as much as I do enjoy MHA, I have a feeling all the hype Funimation/others are putting on it may do it more harm than good. Especially if they're trying to compare it to other popular shonen.

Line_HTX

On another note, as much as I do enjoy MHA, I have a feeling all the hype Funimation/others are putting on it may do it more harm than good. Especially if they're trying to compare it to other popular shonen.

I didn't watch the entire stream, but one part that caught my attention was when they had another Funimation staff on for a brief interview of sorts, and I liked that Justin Rojas was also going in completely blind and asking that guy what makes it stand out from other shonen. I think that he did a better job at convincing me to be into this show than many people on GAF, because he went into specifics without spoiling and actually telling me why instead of "OMG THIS'LL BE THE BEST THING EVER JUST BECAUSE!" and without being so vague about its uniqueness.

I didn't watch the entire stream, but one part that caught my attention was when they had another Funimation staff on for a brief interview of sorts, and I liked that Justin Rojas was also going in completely blind and asking that guy what makes it stand out from other shonen. I think that he did a better job at convincing me to be into this show than many people on GAF, because he went into specifics without spoiling and actually telling me why instead of "OMG THIS'LL BE THE BEST THING EVER JUST BECAUSE!" and without being so vague about its uniqueness.

People overhyping stuff has become a problem in general. It's why I'll never personally push stuff on people unless they're genuinely curious what I think about it and ask if I'd recommend it, or if I know the person's tastes well enough that they'd definitely really enjoy it.

Also I'd never explain it as "This is the best thing ever just watch it" because that adds nothing to the conversation or recommendation.

Those don't really taste good though :<

And you can get spicier and such

If you're getting BWW, Spicy Garlic/Asian Zing/Mango Habanero please

I'm a sweet BBQ/Lemon Pepper kinda guy. Spicy Garlic is also real good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom