• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Apr16| Here today, Gon for three years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
SamPv5J.gif

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Kirito made the cloud of darkness and stole her sword because even though his dual wielding skill doesn't work in Alfheim he can still dual wield for reasons unknown.

Jarate

Banned
Kirito also came back to life with the power of h̶i̶s̶ ̶p̶e̶n̶i̶s̶ friendship. Should we give a shit at all about him breaking another game due to anime bullshit?

Mizerman

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Damn, was able to get about 10 hours of sleep today. Must've been that random stomach ache I had not long before going to bed.

Can't believe Parasyte's final episode is happening, not to mention Kill la Kill is leaving the block.

Seda

still find it amusing that sao's main character is literally a duel wielding swordman in what is basically a black trenchcoat, complete with black sword. That's middle school fanfiction tier.

I had 3 Crown and Colas while watching the game and was basically shitting a brick the entire game.

Thankful Tommorrow doesn't mean anything!

Well that's not entirely true. After all, the Isles could be playing to determine if they face the Pens or the Panthers in the first round.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
still find it amusing that sao's main character is literally a duel wielding swordman in what is basically a black trenchcoat, complete with black sword. That's middle school fanfiction tier.

He's a secret dual wielder too! In fact the only one in Aincrad because he's the fastest.

Hey man if I was told to write middle school level fan fiction that made a bazillion dollars I'd do it without a second thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbfTb8X98TI&feature=youtu.be

Storytime:

We originally recorded this podcast with everyone present, but given that I spilled soup on my old laptop, my new laptop did not have the right audio settings and I forgot to check so the whole thing turned out to be crap.

I then decided to do a solo episode to make up for it because I didn't wanna just give this week a miss since we did that a few weeks ago, so I recorded this episode once and had entirely different audio issues.

I tried again for a second time and while the audio was fixed, I was so tired at this point that I managed to accidentally delete the file without saving it.

What's in this podcast is the THIRD TIME recording solo and the FOURTH TIME trying to make this episode in general.

Kill me.

At least I'm pretty happy with the Black Hole Megamix music cues I'm using.

bigkrev

It wouldn't shock me if th character/story was designed when th author was very young

Well that's not entirely true. After all, the Isles could be playing to determine if they face the Pens or the Panthers in the first round.

Don't care it means I can be at peace all day tomorrow. We can get Neuvirth a game before the start of the playoffs so he can get his legs back in case he is needed.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Someone told me that the author was writing SAO before .hack even came out.

The author started putting out chapters in 2002 online, but the actual printed version wasn't out until 2009.

.........I still feel like .hack technically came out first when you consider the first .hack game & anime were in development since 2000. Though those came out in 2002 as well, so I don't know which one was actually released first.

So I think I've talked about it, here or there, that I love platformers. Platformers are my jam. So when a platformer comes out, even if it doesn't receive great reviews, I tend to take a risk and play them. Sadly, in the case of a recent game I find myself regretting it.
250px-ChibiRoboZipLash3DSboxart.png

Chibi-Robo Zip Lash is a game that really doesn't do anything with its core idea beyond the basics. Where as good platformers build off solid foundations and gradually raises the difficulty, Zip Lash starts slow and honestly stays slow.
There's nothing here that you haven't seen in other platformers, and when it does throw a new sort of challenge, it's often just for one level, and then never used again.

But Chibi-Robo does have one aspect that genuinely took me by surprise, because it's one of the most baffling game design choices I've seen in a long time. You see, you don't go from level to level like you do in a traditional platformer. The game still has worlds, with 6 levels each, but you spin a wheel to decide which level you go to after you beat the first stage of a world.
ofQHv2I.png

WHHHHYYYY?
Now you're probably thinking, oh, that means you can skip levels right? To which I'd answer, no, you can't. You have to do all 6 stages, before you can go to the boss stage of a world.
What happens if you land on a stage you've already beaten? You have to play it again! You have no choice!
Bear in mind Chibi-Robo is using his own ship to travel.

Now you can switch out the numbers on the destination wheel, meaning if you need to go three levels ahead, you can buy some threes, put them on the wheel, and then spin.

Which means that I immediately bought a bunch of ones so I could just go through the game like a normal platformer, and not risk missing any stages.
But I still need to spin the wheel every time I beat a stage.
So I am effectively just "fixing" something that should have never needed "fixing" in the first place.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The destination wheel was nowhere near as bad as I originally thought it'd be when hearing it (I never had to replay a stage due to the wheel, & it goes away when you beat all the stages of that world), but yes, what a terrible idea that shouldn't have been added into the game.

Grexeno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbfT...ature=youtu.be

Storytime:

We originally recorded this podcast with everyone present, but given that I spilled soup on my old laptop, my new laptop did not have the right audio settings and I forgot to check so the whole thing turned out to be crap.

I then decided to do a solo episode to make up for it because I didn't wanna just give this week a miss since we did that a few weeks ago, so I recorded this episode once and had entirely different audio issues.

I tried again for a second time and while the audio was fixed, I was so tired at this point that I managed to accidentally delete the file without saving it.

What's in this podcast is the THIRD TIME recording solo and the FOURTH TIME trying to make this episode in general.

Kill me.

At least I'm pretty happy with the Black Hole Megamix music cues I'm using.
Meanwhile I'm over here just doing a Google Hangout On Air.

idk if I'll be home in time to see the live Toonami viewing party with you guys. Really want to show my disgust on how Parasyte ends. idk how it ends but I'm thinking it won't be pretty. Maybe I'll make it back in time for Thriller Barc.

Raxus

One more thing, why are you guys harping on SAO when we are getting

Hunter

fucking

x

fucking

Hunter!

Let's get the hype train rolling!

Allow me to start.

Hunter_x_Hunter_cover_-_vol1.jpg

Man has it been a while since I hyped a series but I gotta say this one is one I back fully even at a whopping 148 episodes (Kai before the Buu saga stands at 98). I feel this series as something special in the shonen world, fitting it's author Yoshiro Togashi to a T. For the 1 to 2 not in the know Togashi is also the author of Yu Yu Hakusho, the wildly popular anime way back in the heyday of Toonami. Hunter x Hunter is based on an ongoing manga of the same name about Gon, a young boy who sets off from his island in search of his father who is a Hunter. A Hunter in this world is a licensed profession for those who specialize in fantastic pursuits such as locating rare or unidentified animal species, treasure hunting, surveying unexplored enclaves, or hunting down lawless individuals (Thanks wikipedia!). During his journey he makes new friends and blah blah blah shonen bullshit. But is it? Hunter x Hunter has various subversions of shonen that I can't get because fear of

Spoilers%2BNo%2521.gif

But it should be stated this series can pack an emotional whollop. On top of that it is animated by studio Madhouse so it is gorgeous to boot. It is kind of amazing the stars aligned so well to get such a great adaptation of a shonen series. It features no filler aside from 1 episode and when it catches up to the manga it ends at a perfect point, for which I can't say because gif above. I will get more into the series as we go forward but I sincerely hope everyone going into the show goes in fresh and will remain unspoiled for the majority of its run.

You guys can smiiiiiile again and you can fly faaaaaar away from SAO talk in one week when the show premieres! Now can I get a hands up for newbies for Hunter x Hunter? Anyone vets have something to add about the series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom