• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug/Sep16| NUDE GIRLS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

to make him feel good, so her ghosts work on him.

She couldn't negative ray him because he's a sad soul so you know, gotta cheer him up first to do it!

Ok that makes sense and is pretty hilarious. The music that was playing was standard "flashback" music so I thought there was some character development moment for Perona or Usopp I missed.

Congratulations on missing the climax of the episode.

Well fuck you too *pouts*

Gundam has my favorite cast on the block.

Aside from some oddities with the Turbans, and Atra.

It's hard to explain, but I feel like the characters are talking with each other rather than at each other. I dunno, I'm really drawn into the dialogue.

Ehh OPM captures that crown. Followed by Hunter x Hunter. Then I guess Gundam IBO only because of Mikazuki. I only like Robin from One Piece.

ckohler

This upcoming Perona vs Usopp fight is probably my favorite in the show so far.

Also, next week's episode is beautifully animated. Like, a completely different studio than Toei animated it or something. It's crazy good. You'll be surprised.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Ok that makes sense and is pretty hilarious. The music that was playing was standard "flashback" music so I thought there was some character development moment for Perona or Usopp I missed.

Well fuck you too *pouts*

Don't worry,
he has an even better moment in a few episodes

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
oh, was this the episode where we meet that one dude who turns out to have like 3 parasytes in his body?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
wait, how did this guy convince this woman to come to a secluded underground garage?

GOOD JOB, SHINICHI.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Edit the tape to not show your face, then.

......ah crap, think this is the episode where detective dude's life goes down the drain.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
oh, right

I think this is the episode with the dude in his underwear playing the piano because.....................um..........

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Next week on Toonami:

11:30 - Dragonball Z Kai - 82 - The Strongest Super Saiyan! Trunks' Power Unleashed!
12:00 - One-Punch Man - 5 - The Ultimate Master
12:30 - Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans - 10 - A Letter from Tomorrow
1:00 - HUNTER×HUNTER - 16 - Defeat × And × Disgrace
1:30 - Naruto Shippuden - 123 - Clash!
2:00 - One Piece - 357 - The General Zombies Are Down in a Flash!! Oars Feels Like an Adventure!!
2:30 - Parasyte -the maxim- - 16 - Happy Family

Later.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
WVW69jfNM30ms9SKoC

In said new pixel program, I actually was able to draw the small images separately, and paste them into this one... I thought the small ones would be a lot bigger, lol. Oh well...

EDIT: Hmm, lets try this:

WVW69jfNPSILYCXV0y

WVW69jfNP6wIz5Fypt

WVW69jfNQhYvZGY5FZ

WVW69jfNQ_08MYcA9f

LATER!

Seda

I want to try to explain why I'm digging Gundam so much. Maybe trying to write it down will help me round out my thoughts.

In most of the shows that Toonami airs, the characters don't really feel, like, an actual person you'd meet. Sometimes very intentional, sure, but oftentimes they feel like cutouts you'd stick a trope into, add some over-the-top quirks and there you go. Further, most dialogue spoken between most characters doesn't feel like sentences you'd actually expect to hear between two people conversing with each other. Really, most "dialogue" is just spoonfeeding the audience with plot details. Explaining motivations or story beats bluntly to an audience. 'Hey, viewers! Here's happening and why it's happening! This is the emotion I'm feeling! Here's what I'm gonna do!'

Take One Piece or example. When one character is talking to another character, 95% of the time, they are usually talking about something in front of them, something we see, oftentimes something that doesn't need verbalization but is given it anyway. They are explaining a plot point, telling us what they are about to do, expressly explaining their emotions, basically giving exposition. Sure, backstory dumps can still be have emotional weight, but it's still just explaining the plot, pretty cut and dry. Most shonen fall to this, so don't think I'm singling out One Piece here.

Let me say I don't want to place Gundam as some bastion of character interaction, but it's distinct enough from other shows that we've seen that I do think it stands out in a way. We've had several dialogues between characters that, honestly, may not have to do directly with any plotline, but still showcase character personalities and growth. Orga, in talking with Naze a few episodes back, was really the first time I saw him as more than just the 'group leader'. I saw a person thrust into a position he put on a brave face in, but he still had insecurities about how he should go about things. The fact that Naze treated him like a child was also refreshing, because it felt really appropriate for someone like Orga to have some naivete considering the circumstances. Orga has also talked to Biscuit about the situations they are in, even just asking him for advice. When's the last time in any other show, a character has asked another for input? It doesn't happen very often, I feel.

Kudelia is somewhat of a 'naive princess' trope, but I give the show props in how they are portraying it. Rather than having some character explain to her the audience how she's a fish out of water and doesn't have experience, we can just see how she's starting to cope with a new environment and how she's learning about the world and things she hasn't given much consideration to before. We can start to see how she may be realizing her limitations, her shortcomings even if she doesn't say this explicitly.

Mika has gone out of his way to reassure Kudelia in their decision masking, putting his faith in them while offering his own input (based on his own experiences). Earlier Mika reassured Atra of his well-being, giving specific mention of the bracelet she gave him (because he knew she would appreciate it). It feels, like, an acknowledgement of the other person, not just as some character who can do <something> to move the plot along, but as an actual person - with thoughts and feelings. I feel there's a pretty stark difference between Luffy basically saying to the audience's face "I trust Robin" back in Water 7, than the /actual/ feeling of trust I get between the characters in Gundam, you know? I'm not sure it's been said outright, but the dialogue has clearly shown the level of faith these guys have put in each other.

I'm not sure this is the right way to put it, but I feel like there is some inefficiency to the dialogue in Gundam, and I mean that in the best possible way. In shonen, essentially everything anyone says basically has something to do with the plot, unless it's a comedy bit. By having characters actually converse with one-another, sure, it may not be moving the plot forward, but it's giving me more natural insight into their character and motivations.

If the main thing you care about in a show is what happens first, what happens second, why is the bad guy bad, etc, then I can see why Gundam may not be doing it for you, but I am really, really appreciating it. Honestly, it /kinda/ feels like Michiko & Hatchin to me (another show I liked more than most) where character interactions felt more genuine, more real, and the storyline flowed more naturally out of that dialogue rather than having it shoved in your face.

Korigama

You lost me at the comparison to Michiko & Hatchin (there's not really much of anything I'm willing to give that show credit for), but I more or less agree with the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom