• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug/Sep16| NUDE GIRLS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
fVbv7Xv.gif

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The joke is that the Usopp is WAY more pessimistic than the average person. Average people with a moderate but healthy level of pessimism are still struck down by Perona's ghosts but Usopp is simply operating on another level. That's why she's so surprised he withstood it.

Oh, I get it... I just think the joke sucks, lol. OP's humor can just be really... eh... sometimes, I like the TecmoKoei-verse condensed version better, lol. One Piece leave me feeling so weird at times; I enjoyed what I saw from the timeskip all the way to near modern times (just a few eps behind) well enough, but it often leaves me feeling as if I want something a little more that I didn't get.. *shrug*

Schadenfreude's idea is certainly interesting but if you think about it, it would render Perona's ghosts ineffective against virtually every random person who isn't a Luffy or Zoro. She certainly shouldn't be surprised a goofy looking, long-nosed guy crying like a coward should be unaffected.

Oh, that'd be fine, it'd still make Usopp a more interesting exception than whatever else they're trying to sell me on, lol. The cliffnotes version of my knowledge of what happens felt much cooler than the actual scene, heh.

Btw, I liked your pics as usual.

Thanks, I tried to squeeze some One Piece in there with Man-on-Fire Oni Sanji, see! But... *shrug* maybe it wasn't obvious enough? Was gonna do Oars too, but had more fun just drawing and coloring that Sanji. Perona will probably make the cover next week, heh.

Regiruler

Wait, Sean Schemmel is Yugioh GX's Dr. Crowler?

I honestly thought Crowler's VA died because he never returned to yugioh to my knowledge. I had no idea it was Goku.

I'm now hoping that he's available next year for a Scripted Duel when Ancient Gears get their stuff.

Jarate

Banned
What on earth does the composer want?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf7uJDhVZIE

It's been a while since we had thread about a game losing content for a western release. This time it's about Dragon Quest 7 and us not getting the orchestral music

Although this time it's appears to be more on the original composer being an ass than something done by Nintendo and SE.

While it sucks, this is one of the few times im fine with a company cutting content, although im generally fine if they replace it with something else

it's only going to be a matter of time before a group releases a hack with the orchestrated music

Oh, I get it... I just think the joke sucks, lol. OP's humor can just be really... eh... sometimes, I like the TecmoKoei-verse condensed version better, lol. One Piece leave me feeling so weird at times; I enjoyed what I saw from the timeskip all the way to near modern times (just a few eps behind) well enough, but it often leaves me feeling as if I want something a little more that I didn't get.. *shrug*

Have you gone back and watched it from the start? Just curious.
There's some characterization in the earlier sagas that fleshes out some of the characters and the tone for the arcs that aired on Toonami. I think the Pirate Warriors games might have given you the wrong impression.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Have you gone back and watched it from the start? Just curious.
There's some characterization in the earlier sagas that fleshes out some of the characters and the tone for the arcs that aired on Toonami. I think the Pirate Warriors games might have given you the wrong impression.

Thriller Bark to... Marineford I guess, is pretty much my darkest watch times for Once Piece Anime. Everything else I've either seen in some form of English, Japanese, read up on, seen clips of, or have played through in various games quite a few times.

I love KoeiTecmo's style of story telling, they take the good stuff and make it better. I just think a lot of the chaff OP presents isn't nearly as good or as interesting as my expectations WANT them to be. It's one of few shows where my good humor gets burned out, and I just wish they'd get on with things. I feel like a lot of expanded cast could keep things interesting, but they rely on certain jokes and stupidity for too long, that's not as interesting as they think it is.

That and the female character designs start to suck compared to the variety of males. Rail-skinny waist with big boobs over and over and over... I'd expect, say, Tashigi, Nami, Robin, and Rebecca to all be pretty different looking women by the ways they live, their origins, etc. Even Chopper's Doctor Granny Kureha pretty much has the generic OP female body with an old ladies head stuck onto it. There's more variety on Naze's Harem ship than all of OP as a 700+ episode animation series, lol. Minus the monstrous weird looking older women and cross-dressers.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Why subs tho? I remember watching this dubbed on AS years ago.

Beats me. Also, I was always a bit depressed none of the other books were ever adapted into a series. Hell, only the second book was ever translated into English. That sort of thing always pisses me off.

Beats me. Also, I was always a bit depressed none of the other books were ever adapted into a series. Hell, only the second book was ever translated into English. That sort of thing always pisses me off.

At least now we're seeing more and more series from the past getting full anime adaptations often dubbed and with the old volumes getting English releases if we never got them before. Its way better now then it was 10 years ago.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
At least now we're seeing more and more series from the past getting full anime adaptations often dubbed and with the old volumes getting English releases if we never got them before. Its way better now then it was 10 years ago.

I suppose, I just always liked the world and characters in Moribito specifically and would like to see more of it. It was a really well put together series and I do wonder why it never got a sequel. I mean studios struggle to put together shows that are total crap and then there's a bunch of good stuff that no one even looks at for some reason.

I suppose, I just always liked the world and characters in Moribito specifically and would like to see more of it. It was a really well put together series and I do wonder why it never got a sequel. I mean studios struggle to put together shows that are total crap and then there's a bunch of good stuff that no one even looks at for some reason.

Needs more shameless pandering and waifu see re:zero

Sadly. Well maybe down the line the tastes will change and something like Psyren could get an anime (which would be a great fit for Toonami).

Wouldn't psyren also need a shaman king esque sequel to finish its plot? Or did it have a Bleach esque rush finale?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wouldn't psyren also need a shaman king esque sequel to finish its plot? Or did it have a Bleach esque rush finale?

Nah, it was fine. It got canned most of the way through it's final arc, if anything it needed a handful of extra chapters at the very most and considering it's finished up they could account for the slight rush in the adaptation. If you didn't know it got canned you couldn't really tell.

It's got a sort of Bleach feel in the art, only with backgrounds, and pretty solid storytelling. The action sequences would be crazy to see animated too, always wondered why no one ever bothered with it.

Thriller Bark to... Marineford I guess, is pretty much my darkest watch times for Once Piece Anime. Everything else I've either seen in some form of English, Japanese, read up on, seen clips of, or have played through in various games quite a few times.
If I'm reading that correctly, it seems like you've only experienced most of One Piece through a frankenstein-like combo of different media.
Not really the best way to experience the story due to the lost context and broken narrative.

I love KoeiTecmo's style of story telling, they take the good stuff and make it better. I just think a lot of the chaff OP presents isn't nearly as good or as interesting as my expectations WANT them to be. It's one of few shows where my good humor gets burned out, and I just wish they'd get on with things. I feel like a lot of expanded cast could keep things interesting, but they rely on certain jokes and stupidity for too long, that's not as interesting as they think it is.
The humor in OP isn't for everyone. It's very rooted in Japanese style of humor with various puns and wordplay, much like early Dragon Ball. It's still amazing that Funimation can make most of it work in the dub.

But I will say, as someone who has played every Pirate Warriors game, even the best title (PW3) was still a watered-down, cliffs note adaptation of the story. Key details and characters are missing and it misses the big draw of One Piece which is the world-building. The history of all those unique islands are lost in those games.
The manga is still the best route, since the reader can control the speed at which they can read it and there's just more consistency in tone and style.

That and the female character designs start to suck compared to the variety of males. Rail-skinny waist with big boobs over and over and over... I'd expect, say, Tashigi, Nami, Robin, and Rebecca to all be pretty different looking women by the ways they live, their origins, etc. Even Chopper's Doctor Granny Kureha pretty much has the generic OP female body with an old ladies head stuck onto it. There's more variety on Naze's Harem ship than all of OP as a 700+ episode animation series, lol. Minus the monstrous weird looking older women and cross-dressers.
It's not as bad as in the manga (lol I'm starting to sound like a manga elitist, but it's true). The anime has a few animators who really enjoy...um...."enhancing" certain parts of the female anatomy.
Wait til we get to the next filler arc. lol
It sucks and it gets more noticeable and worse as the anime progresses.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
If I'm reading that correctly, it seems like you've only experienced most of One Piece through a frankenstein-like combo of different media.
Not really the best way to experience the story due to the lost context and broken narrative.

It's not as bad as it sounds, haha. Just purely watching 700+ Episodes in English and Japanese for something that's almost guaranteed to be on TV eventually (HAHAHAHA!) isn't the way I spend much of my other-than-Toonami-anime watching time. Naa, I end up watching old stuff like City Hunter!

It hasn't harmed the story for me, though; if anything, it's why I end up going back to the anime and story more than I would, because the impression the "Kai" version of events leaves is much stronger than the day-by-day stretch.

The humor in OP isn't for everyone. It's very rooted in Japanese style of humor with various puns and wordplay, much like early Dragon Ball. It's still amazing that Funimation can make most of it work in the dub.

I gel pretty well with odd Japanese Humor, I just don't think OP is good at it, heh. I like the drawn exaggeration, surely, but I always feel like the art style is strong and different enough that it's comedy feels like a lamer point that brings the coolness of other moments. down.

But I will say, as someone who has played every Pirate Warriors game, even the best title (PW3) was still a watered-down, cliffs note adaptation of the story.

Eh, I don't know about watered down; like I said, I love the way KoeiTecmo / Omega Force tell stories in their warriors games. They make the awesome moments feel great, with nice solid production value for what they are. Similar to how the Ninja Storm series of games actually make the anime feel a bit less impressive, but not on such a ridiculous scale.

It gives the laser focus that I sometimes wish OP had, and that I appreciate in some of the filler stories the anime tells; It feels like the tale is suddenly moving at the pace it's suppose to, rather than stretched for the sake of production.

Key details and characters are missing and it misses the big draw of One Piece which is the world-building. The history of all those unique islands are lost in those games.

The manga is still the best route, since the reader can control the speed at which they can read it and there's just more consistency in tone and style.

Just interesting stuff to find out about and appreciate later, lol. While I'm not a battle fiend while watching a show, I love how well the games focus on making the entirety of the cast look battle competent. I'll trade that for world-building any day in a game, because so many characters feel kinda wasted as 1-move assist in the anime story normally. Like, Brook was so un-important in Dressrosa and during the whole Dr. Vegapunk stuff, but in the games, I can enjoy the fact that the Bard/Swordman and the ships main Swordsman Zoro actually bring unique things to the table. I was SO looking forward to Timeskip Usopp being awesome... and he is in the games! I love playing him there. But he really keeps disappointing me in the animation, still being a bit wimpier than I'd like at times, and his nice array of tech seems kinda underplayed.

It's not as bad as in the manga (lol I'm starting to sound like a manga elitist, but it's true). The anime has a few animators who really enjoy...um...."enhancing" certain parts of the female anatomy.
Wait til we get to the next filler arc. lol
It sucks and it gets more noticeable and worse as the anime progresses.

It's just so... ugh, lol. Rebecca's boobs and tiny warriors "armor" had some moments of looking incredibly dumb in Dressrosa, and if every frickin' woman basically has Nami's proportions and looks, what makes our beautiful navigator stick out, physically? I mean, that's great for Sanji, I guess... but it just seems so low-quality and desperate.

As an aside, I love how much time they put into Tashigi's animation in Pirate Warriors 3, lol. She has "fail" and "Success!" motion for like... all her combo strings. You really get the idea from even her sword draw animation that she's a person whose not born into combat, but yet is putting forth a lot of effort and hard work to fight. And then taking off her glasses actually blurs the screen while you play... someone on the production team cared WAY too much about her inclusion, and it's kinda awesome. I actually like playing her more than Smoke-yan...

ANYway, I somehow now own One Piece: Burning Blood as of today too, so... err... I guess this is my One Piece day somehow.
Is this Film Gold Robin DLC's fault? Mayyybe...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Usopp is a genius of negativity just like Rock Lee is a genius of hard work, Goku is a genius of training, and Naruto is a genius of cheat hax training.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Guys I need Mob Psycho.

NEED IT
Here's how they'll cut the OP.

>Starts at "ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR...."
>fades out just before the "MOB, MOB, WHAT DO YOU WANT"

Speaking of which, when the hell is the full version getting released.

Edit: Watching ep. 5 now & okay, yeah, I'm convinced this might work on Toonami now.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yeah, episode 5 has convinced me there's a good amount of action to qualify for Toonami. I like the show, but at first, I figured it was more of a character piece of Mob trying to figure out his place in life & such with it being an action show 2nd, but daaammmnnn, now I'm totally wanting this so we can all watch it together.

Hell, have this be the short runner after Jojo Part 2's done so then after MP100, Part 3 can air.

Surprised we still don't have any news of Viz or Funimation or whoever getting the US rights.

Crocodile

I watched the first episode of Mob Psycho and I appreciated the animation but I didn't really feel compelled to continue. Maybe I'll got back to it later.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I watched the first episode of Mob Psycho and I appreciated the animation but I didn't really feel compelled to continue. Maybe I'll got back to it later.
In all fairness, it doesn't seem to have the same "grabbing power" that One Punch Man has, it might take another episode or two to fully click/determine if the series is for you, especially since it has some of the deadpan humor/main character that ONE seems to use.

5 eps in and my mob psycho OT only has 390 posts. my OPM OT had over 1000 at that point, and over 10,000 when the show was done, so it blew up.

MP100 doesn't have an immediate hook like OPM. Also not about superheroes and fighting so will be less popular in the West

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom