• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug/Sep16| NUDE GIRLS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moaradin

I really enjoyed Michiko & Hatchin. Not every episode was a hit, but I think it had far more hits than misses.

Plus it was pretty cool to go in blind with a show I've never heard of beforehand. Most anime Toonami airs are things I've probably already seen or at least known about, so that was cool.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
M&H was nowhere near one of the worst things Toonami has aired, but it sadly was probably one of the most disappointing. Though that's not to say I dislike it, it was just "eeh, it was okay" on the grounds there were a few more misses than hits. I'm still glad I saw certain episodes.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
If the main thing you care about in a show is what happens first, what happens second, why is the bad guy bad, etc, then I can see why Gundam may not be doing it for you, but I am really, really appreciating it. Honestly, it /kinda/ feels like Michiko & Hatchin to me (another show I liked more than most) where character interactions felt more genuine, more real, and the storyline flowed more naturally out of that dialogue rather than having it shoved in your face.

It gives a sophistication to the show. We get blunt stuff like "Gon learned how to hit a moving target!" as an episode in HxH, or "Here's an entire 45 min dedicated to how not to hurt a father's inflated pride!" in DBZ, and then you turn around, and Gundam spends episodes upon episodes building up Naze as "The Mature leader with many of the answers!" and within the first 10 episodes, tears down our trope-led expectations and shows us he's only an adult within his own group; he's just as much a youth as everyone else, in the real world.

The show gives you time to form your own thoughts based on breadcrumbs, and then it affirms them through a believable progression. I personally feel this is also something I love in Bebop; The character stories often feel like natural situations that not only teach us why, say, Jet has a mechanical arm, but also tell us why he's so jaded in many ways, or why he thinks Spike shouldn't hedge all his bets on Julia, going off to die just for her, etc, etc. The characters never say "Jets relationship with his wife, and Faye's with Gren, are all parallels to how Spike deals with Julia! This is a hint to over-dedication often leading to tragedy!" But you can work through it yourself.

I don't feel like Iron Blood's characterization or dialogue is too foreign to Gundam as a series, though; there's a reason people love Char and Amuro so endlessly, or why seeing Bright grow between different series and crews is so cool. The best of Gundam isn't just in space mecha action, but also in character drama that is often a bit more nuanced than your average Shonen.

And we really need that kind of stuff to make Toonami feel like more than a Kid's block running at Adult Hours. Characters need to be more than the WYSIWYG types that are so prevalent as the inhabitants of youthful action shows.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Dammit I fell asleep during the Hunter x Hunter commercial break.

Must be getting old.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The characters in IBO are believable and relateable, not a common trait in a lot of media but especially rare in shonen. It feels like real people acting rationally in an unreal situation.

Line_HTX

I too, am only truly looking forward to Iron Blooded Orphans out of the entire block. The way the characters mature over time, albeit short, is very unique and I really love their development. Sure, the block is at its best with better things to come in the Fall, but as I said many times, I wish there were shorter shows like these because the long running shonen tropes just does not do it for me anymore. I'm only watching because it's a group setting, but no way in hell would I go and watch them on my own because frankly, shonen's outside of YYH are complete doo-doo. Hunter Hunter to me is probably the best of the bunch, but that's not really saying much in the shonen genre because sometimes even I get frustrated at it.

That being said, I'll accept the fact that that's what the block is aiming for for the ratings that we have and that there's stability for a long while. I'll take that trade-off. Maybe my mind may change once I actually legitimately start watching Jojo's, haha.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
One Piece is the real reason I still watch TOONAMI. I mean sure, I've got most of the dvd's right behind me but I love the live viewing experience.

I also dig long running shonen in general though. wish the Block had Bleach as well!

Missed the reactions to most shows last night though I watched them all. Did people like Hunter x Hunter?

ckohler

Some quicky reviews. This week's theme was "power-ups".

DBZ: Kai - This episode was mostly spinning the typical DBZ wheels of increasing power levels. Cell going Aizen on Vegeta was great, however, Krillin was the pot calling the kettle black. He allowed this to happen more than Vegeta did!!

One Punch Man - Siatama's voice still isn't 100% working for me. It's like 50/50. Some lines are great but his monotone stuff just sounds forced. Gotta love Mumen Rider. Sonic is kinda annoying, imo. Now that the Hero Association part has begun, I think the series starts having a clearer focus.

Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans - For all the jokes we made about harems and Brando impersonations, I really can't complain about this episode. It's well done with characters having meaningful conversations and goals. Atra is still stuck being a waifu character but the rest of the cast are more nuanced and interesting. Even Kudelia is learning to become a strong, female leader. All the politics talk still bores me but I can let that slide as just being a "Gundam-ism".

Hunger x Hunter - I liked this episode for several reasons. 1) Watching Tonpa get beaten. 2) Crazy Pinhead guy's bizarre transformation and behavior. 3) The tension with Gon, showing he can get scared. 4) Watching Tonpa get beaten. 5) Watching Tonpa get beaten.

Naruto: Shippuden - This show really likes its talking dogs. It was funny watching them speak for the audience and tear down Sakura's shallow characterization. I just can't take Kabuto seriously even when he's now part snake. At least it seems like a big battle is about to happen.

One Piece - Hora Hora Hora Hora Hora! My favorite fight in One Piece (so far) is just starting. Captain Usopp vs. Ghost Princess Perona! By the way, I'm pretty sure her cheering for Usopp wasn't a rouse to try and make him vulnerable. She was legit feeling sorry for him. The idea that someone could have such a negative outlook on life that her ghosts were ineffective really made her feel sorry. It's part of her playful nature.
She's one of the few enemies in One Piece that isn't actually pure evil, which is a big reason I like her.
My only complaint about this episode would be the that Luffy was stopped by plates and that Absalom is still a thing. Don't miss next episode. Not only is it a great episode story wise but the animation is downright film quality. It's kinda shocking how good it looks for almost no reason and for just that episode. I don't think I've seen an episode since that looks as good.

Mizerman

HxH is missing the raw sexual magnetism of Sword Art Online. Basically it needs Kirito.

giphy.gif

Regiruler

Something feels off with IBO. I just can't get into it.

Kabuto being a creepy evil version of Naruto's incredibly desperate one-track mind is off-putting, yet at the same time a bit fitting? It does seem like that he's intentionally played off as being crazy and desperate.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
2 things about Persona that surprised / seemed odd to me:

1. So her Ghost pretty much have 100% accuracy. I'm surprised none of our highly-skilled fighters could dodge it at all. (Which is why it's funny she thought she missed Usopp. ) I expected Zoro to be able to outpace it, at least for a few moves.
  2. I... don't really buy that Usopp is THAT negative. I feel like this point of his negativity is more a comedy point rather than a legit smart story beat. Makes it sound like Usoppu has to combat the desire to commit suicide ever 7 seconds or something.

NeGaTiiiii...

ckohler

I... don't really buy that Usopp is THAT negative. I feel like this point of his negativity is more a comedy point rather than a legit smart story beat. Makes it sound like Usoppu has to combat the desire to commit suicide ever 7 seconds or something.

I agree they are stretching the concept a bit . Basically, Usopp is not negative in an emo "I want to die" sense. It's more like extreme pessimism in a "we're totally screwed!" sense. The story is saying that being overly pessimistic like Usopp usually is equates to him having an unusually high, negative personality.

Line_HTX

I find it slightly entertaining that Sanji, Goro, and Franky say such depression dialogue after getting hit with the ghosts.

I've always seen it less as complete and total negativity and more like he knows what he's capable of. Next to the monsters that are his crewmates and all the people they've dealt with so far, Usopp acknowledges that he's weak. He's a realist who knows what he can and can't do. He doesn't see himself as the invincible hero that can beat anyone like Luffy and Zoro. That's why he's able to resist Perona's attacks. Someone who is hit by her Negative Hollow suddenly believes they can't do anything and Usopp already feels like that all the time.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I agree they are stretching the concept a bit . Basically, Usopp is not negative in an emo "I want to die" sense. It's more like extreme pessimism in a "we're totally screwed!" sense. The story is saying that being overly pessimistic like Usopp usually is equates to him having an unusually high, negative personality.
Aye. I keep hoping there's some superior reason to this (Like the Star Usopp was born under is the unluckiest in the Chinese Zodiac, or the Kanji to form his name can be re-arranged to say "Luck unto death" or something), because it feels too convenient and empty as it is now.

I'd have liked it story-wise, if Pre-CP9 Robin got hit by this, and was largely unaffected, since she's never had any hope for anything or anyone else, before being saved. Much like all of her rescue arch, it would have felt like we were learning something new about the character, that let me see their actions in a deeper light.

But the Usopp example just makes it feel like Perona's never used her power on a pessimistic person before. It leaves me with the impression that her 能力 are a joke, if you already think a few self-depreciating thoughts.

%E3%83%9A%E3%83%AD%E3%83%BC%E3%83%8A.jpg

I've always seen it less as complete and total negativity and more like he knows what he's capable of. Next to the monsters that are his crewmates and all the people they've dealt with so far, Usopp acknowledges that he's weak. He's a realist who knows what he can and can't do. He doesn't see himself as the invincible hero that can beat anyone like Luffy and Zoro. That's why he's able to resist Perona's attacks. Someone who is hit by her Negative Hollow suddenly believes they can't do anything and Usopp already feels like that all the time.

I think you get this across better than the show has. A power that cripples those who believe themselves able, making them feel anything but; every opponent a person gets into combat with in any Asian media generally feels they have a chance to win. Usopp never thinks he does until... he... does, so that wouldn't work on him.

ckohler

But the Usopp example just makes it feel like Perona's never used her power on a pessimistic person before. It leaves me with the impression that her 能力 are a joke, if you already think a few self-depreciating thoughts

The joke is that the Usopp is WAY more pessimistic than the average person. Average people with a moderate but healthy level of pessimism are still struck down by Perona's ghosts but Usopp is simply operating on another level. That's why she's so surprised he withstood it.

Schadenfreude's idea is certainly interesting but if you think about it, it would render Perona's ghosts ineffective against virtually every random person who isn't a Luffy or Zoro. She certainly shouldn't be surprised a goofy looking, long-nosed guy crying like a coward should be unaffected.

Btw, I liked your pics as usual.

Jarate

Banned
Usop;p might still be affected by peronas ghost, but due to his constant negativity, he masy abe able to withstand it a lot better then all the other crewmates

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Now I can't help but wonder how it'd affect someone who's full of despair.....like Monokuma from Danganronpa.

Usop;p might still be affected by peronas ghost, but due to his constant negativity, he masy abe able to withstand it a lot better then all the other crewmates
This is what I figured. He's always the one that doesn't think the crew will be able to do something or defeat the newest villain & such, so it makes sense to me.

Rather just have the real Shippuden openings

i think it'd be nice if they played those a handful of times whenever they change up but tbh i'd rather have the music videos since those are at least something new every couple weeks and that helps break up the monotony that Naruto Shippuden often brings.

i'm kinda not sure why we have to pick between one or the other honestly; like, they don't play music videos EVERY week

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Heh, so Sonic from OPM is the same voice actor (Erik Kimerer) as Biscuit from IBO.

Hoping there's gonna more "perfect choice" casting like with the first episode.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I recently replayed Shadow Hearts: From the New World, and Sean Schemmel voices a Mexican mariachi dude.
I need to replay that one of these days. Considering there's almost no chance of the trilogy getting ported to PSN, let alone HD versions, I might as well own them on PS2. I got the 3rd game again (which was the one that got me into the series), need to rebuy 2 & then finally try the first game in the series.

I remember my copy of SH2 had a weird glitch or something where there was no sound during the CGI cutscenes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom