• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug/Sep16| NUDE GIRLS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarate

Banned
To be fair they basically released two dynasty warriors games a year for about a decade. These giant, review proof games would end up on your desk every six months, and that's before they started the other franchise collaboration games.

DW games are a reviewers nightmare.

tbf those games were generally expansions. Xtreme Legends (which by the way they can't name it that anymore due to a Capcom lawsuit) and Empires are very much expacs. (Empires is kind of its own thing though). I understand it sucks as a reviewer, but like, that's part of your job is too play these games. I would feel it would be better to mindlessly run through Dynasty Warriors for a bit rather then play through a shit ton of licensed garbage.

The PS2 days were weird for game reviewers anyway, it was right at the start where I think western game reviewers got sick of Japanese games (IGN's infamous God Hand review is the most famous example) which came to the western dominated last gen, which, Ive seen is that reviewers kind of got sick of western game design and are starting to appreciate Japanese games a lot more. Monster Hunter is another game that was despised by game reviewers.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'd assume it's like trying to review another Madden game each year. There's very few changes made, how you review the game yet again when most of the core elements are the same? Man God also makes a good point as well.

It's just a shame more of those games aren't made portable or run well on portable devices. I feel like it'd make for a better "play one or two stages, then put it in sleep mode" game than consoles, but I understand it's a tech thing having to display all those enemies at once & remember everything going on at the background. Hyrule Warriors Legends is the closest, & even then, it took the DLC to realize that the adventure maps work better when they don't take 15 damn minutes to finish.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'd assume it's like trying to review another Madden game each year. There's very few changes made, how you review the game yet again when most of the core elements are the same? Man God also makes a good point as well.

It's just a shame more of those games aren't made portable or run well on portable devices. I feel like it'd make for a better "play one or two stages, then put it in sleep mode" game than consoles, but I understand it's a tech thing having to display all those enemies at once & remember everything going on at the background. Hyrule Warriors Legends is the closest, & even then, it took the DLC to realize that the adventure maps work better when they don't take 15 damn minutes to finish.

You can do your due diligence on a PS2 era Madden game in a few hours. If you actually want to beat DW it takes FOREVER. I would take Madden any day of the week.

Jarate

Banned

The Vita port of One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 might be the best port job on the system. I havent tried out the SW4-2 one yet, but ive heard decent things about it.

But the issue is, is that those Madden games consistently scored high.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-2/madden-nfl-2005

Madden 2005 (which might be the best game in the series tbf) scored consistently incredibly well. It wasnt until last gen when the games started to not do as well review wise.Madden 2005 is literally Madden 2004 with a hit stick added in.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-2/madden-nfl-2003

This was never a problem for game journos. Having the same game get released over and over again was never a problem for western games. This was just in a really weird time period of western game journos

You can do your due diligence on a PS2 era Madden game in a few hours. If you actually want to beat DW it takes FOREVER. I would take Madden any day of the week.

100% Madden games, being able to play the hardest difficulty, and b eating all the modes they generally offer will take about the same as Dynasty Warriors. These games have always had a shit ton of mindless grinding involved with them too. Madden Cards especially were such a pain in the ass to get when I played them. Im a fan of Madden games too, but they are both pretty mindless tbh. Madden is one of the easiest games to break. Dynasty Warriors has a lot of stuff that you wont get to experience unless you get to the hardest difficulties. I think that's the main issue. I doubt game journos spent more then 5-10 hours on these games. Meaty games that dont present themselves until later, or difficult games tend to piss of game journos a lot.

Mizerman

The Vita port of One Piece Pirate Warriors 3 might be the best port job on the system. I havent tried out the SW4-2 one yet, but ive heard decent things about it.

But the issue is, is that those Madden games consistently scored high.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-2/madden-nfl-2005

Madden 2005 (which might be the best game in the series tbf) scored consistently incredibly well. It wasnt until last gen when the games started to not do as well review wise.Madden 2005 is literally Madden 2004 with a hit stick added in.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-2/madden-nfl-2003

This was never a problem for game journos. Having the same game get released over and over again was never a problem for western games. This was just in a really weird time period of western game journos

American Football (or any sports game) tends to get a pass by journalists. It is what it is.

Eh, it only takes a long time if you're actually trying to max out every character.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
American Football (or any sports game) tends to get a pass by journalists. It is what it is.

Eh, it only takes a long time if you're actually trying to max out every character.

Even the shorter campaigns are 20 hours. Plus if you're doing a review you have to at least try out the other modes, which later DW games are full of.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well in that case, Americans are bias towards football & don't tend to care about Chinese history, I don't know.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
TOONAMI should be good tonight. Great even. Doubt I will post much as I think I'll have company, but I'll definitely be watching.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
My only other guess is the "dominant strategy" kicks in when playing, meaning people don't feel the need to use the other button combinations because they find the one attack that works perfectly fine for them, hence "button masher" tends to get thrown around.

Though I won't lie, I honestly only care about DW when it's based on franchises I like, such as One Piece & Zelda. I feel as though I won't get the same enjoyment out of, say, the Gundam ones.

........also, I'm sure this won't be a while since we're only 1/3rd into One Punch Man, but I wonder when we'll get promos for Jojo & if they'll make ones promoting Part 2.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight on Toonami, Vegeta lays it all on the line against Cell with his Final Flash, Saitama vows for vengeance after a new cadre of villains called the Paradisers steal his trademark bald look, the boys of Tekkadan begin their negotiations with Teiwaz directly, Gon hones in on Hisoka while Leorio has to protect his own badge from his hunter, Hebi searches for information on Itachi while Naruto's team runs afoul of a now-masterless Kabuto, Chopper resolves to take down Hogback while the rest of the Straw Hats take a turn for the negative when they run into Perona, and Shinichi has his first run in with Miki.

11:30 - Dragonball Z Kai - 81 - Vegeta's Final Push! Defeat the Invincible Cell!
12:00 - One-Punch Man - 4 - The Modern Ninja
12:30 - Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans - 9 - Sakazuki
1:00 - HUNTER×HUNTER - 15 - Scramble × Of × Deception
1:30 - Naruto Shippuden - 122 - The Hunt
2:00 - One Piece - 356 - Usopp's the Strongest? Leave Anything Negative to Him
2:30 - Parasyte -the maxim- - 15 - Something Wicked This Way Comes

Now time to fire up some more No Man's Sky.

........also, I'm sure this won't be a while since we're only 1/3rd into One Punch Man, but I wonder when we'll get promos for Jojo & if they'll make ones promoting Part 2.

I hope the first promo shows the fact that there are multiple Jojos, or at least has a line like, "This is a battle that will last generations."

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I hope the first promo shows the fact that there are multiple Jojos, or at least has a line like, "This is a battle that will last generations."
Yeah, I'm curious if they'll only promote Part 1 or show both.

I'm kind of hoping they'll show parts of Part 1, then later in the promo, show Part 2, & then once Part 1 finishes, make a new promo that focuses solely on Part 2.

Regiruler

Do you remember those two Naruto Shippuden episodes back in the Immortals arc that were decent and kinda well animated? Same director dude is back for not tonight's episode, but next week's.
You mean the Team Ten episode that was filler and no action sequences yet the best episode of the night?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Hebi searches for information on Itachi while Naruto's team runs afoul of a now-masterless Kabuto

OcDqmCn.gif

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Why does he need a mask when we saw in THE VERY FIRST EPISODE ninjas have the ability to completely change what they look like, including their gender?

Regiruler

Why does he need a mask when we saw in THE VERY FIRST EPISODE ninjas have the ability to completely change what they look like, including their gender?

Have they even used transformation jutsu in Shippuden outside of the anbu in the immortals arc (aka one of the only instances of actual ninja shit).

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Transformation Jutsu is long lasting, doesn't take a ton of chakra, is almost undetectable by jutsu...and yet almost never employed for anything besides comedy. Granted, a lot of this has to do with the fact that these gigantic ninja clans never do ANYTHING STEALTHY AT ALL, just fight in the open wearing bright ass clothes spamming loud and flashy attacks.

Mizerman

Transformation Jutsu is long lasting, doesn't take a ton of chakra, is almost undetectable by jutsu...and yet almost never employed for anything besides comedy. Granted, a lot of this has to do with the fact that these gigantic ninja clans never do ANYTHING STEALTHY AT ALL, just fight in the open wearing bright ass clothes spamming loud and flashy attacks.

Don't you know? Ninja only have to rely on guts! And the Will of Fire!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Funny thing is they're usually doing ninja shit in these old timey flashbacks. They're trained to do ninja shit but never actually do any of it.

I've said this before; the premise and very early direction of Naruto is great. Raising children to be assassins/spies/counter ops for a world of nations great and small in need of their services. The struggle between always completing your mission/not leaving your clanmates behind. The regret and pain and triumph of it all. Hard work and sacrifice.

Yet it just eventually becomes a backdrop for your standard shonen junk. This is what it always had over Bleach (which Naruto is better than) and One Piece (which it is much worse than) because One Piece takes a fairly interesting idea of following pirates, who are notorious outlaws and generally bad apples and does the classic dumbing down of them as a group. Most of them are goody two shoe vagabond hero types. It isn't just the Strawhats who don't pillage and plunder and smuggle, most of the pirates depicted are just "free spirits" who choose to fly the Jolly Roger out of a sense of rebellion, ignoring all the usual reasons one would choose.

Naruto was starting down the path of being interesting early on yet just gives up on it. HxH is a better depiction of what that could have been like.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Same. The world of Naruto is interesting and full of potential.

The characters that inhabit it? Eh.

It really says something when Sasuke
is a waaaay better character in the Boruto sequel than he is almost all of Naruto. He's actually a decent person and not a revenge-driven tool

Suicide Squad is the best dccu film

LoweredExpectations.jpg

The first 45 minutes are boring, poorly edited, poorly written, and somehow forgot to introduce one of the key members of the team

The last 30 minutes only happen because everyone collectively stops thinking

But that middle 45 was solid if sloppy, it was the most competent and enjoyable stretch in this universe so far.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*watches trailer of God Eater 2*

Man, I still have no idea if I want to try to get into this series. I downloaded the Japanese demo for Resurrection, so I'll give that a try eventually. I'm not a fan of MH due to how slow & "clunky" it feels, but I also didn't mind Freedom Wars because it felt a bit faster & areas were more confined instead of constantly having to run around multiple areas. GE2 looks more action RPG, which should be a plus.

I'm trying to be more selective with my game purchases since I won't have the same amount of disposable income once I have to start paying rent, but the pre-order costumes & the fact you get a free code for a $20 game is tempting...

Edit: I guess to make this post more appropriate for this thread, what do you guys do about games you're not sure on but want to try? Just wait for a sale?

Seda

I play most games waaaaaay after release, unless I'm reviewing it.

I played Dragon Quest 1-6 this year, for example. I just finished Final Fantasy 2.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm gonna have to start waiting for certain games to go on sale before buying them, despite having Prime & Best Buy's GCU. Just annoying when there's a tempting pre-order bonus & I want to take advantage of getting 20% off the launch price.

If anything, I need to start splitting the cost with my friend, or one of us buys it, then the other buys it for half the price. World of Final Fantasy is slightly tempting, but I told myself my next two big RPGs would be FF15 (which is out a few weeks before WoFF) & then Persona 5, but my friend wants to get it, so maybe I'll just borrow it from him once he's done...or I just get the Vita version.

Jarate

Banned
I play most games waaaaaay after release, unless I'm reviewing it.

I played Dragon Quest 1-6 this year, for example. I just finished Final Fantasy 2.
just wait till Seda plays Portal in 20years, he'll be screaming the cake is a lie at us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom