• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug/Sep16| NUDE GIRLS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I feel really weird about E7. I want to like it because it has some neat elements, but I have to agree some characters did some annoying stuff and also THOSE CHILDREN WERE THE FREAKIN' WORST HOLY CRAP IF MICHIKO & HATCHIN SHOWED YOU HOW TO DO KID CHARACTERS CORRECTLY, E7 SHOWED YOU HOW TO MAKE THEM THE MOST ANNOYING SHITS IN THE HISTORY OF ANIME GOOOOOODDDDDDDD

Even when rewatching it on Toonami after originally seeing it on Adult Swim, I still had no idea if I wanted to fall in the "like it" or "hated it" camp

Also, to voice other opinions heard on the showdown, yes, Samurai 7 really should've been trimmed down, because the fact it felt dragged out didn't help the fact it was just so average, & I shouldn't be saying that when you have a freakin' cyborg samurai in a steampunk-esque world.

Sym-Bionic Titan somehow manages to be engaging no matter what's happening; there's high school stuff, sci-fi drama, giant robot fights, fish out of water comedy, and more traditional fight scenes, but focusing on one never leaves you longing for the others. It is one of the most impressive balancing acts on this block because it can and does routinely go wrong in other shows. The action is amazing, it's one of the funniest shows to air on this block, and it manages to get you invested in the characters in a way that only a handful of other shows on this block can claim. Nothing that's good about Sym-Bionic Titan has anything to do with it being 20 episodes long, especially when most of the shows it'll be compared to aren't all that much longer. "People like it because it could've been great" does not hold up as an argument because the vast majority of what people like about it is not its skeleton of a serialized plot, but what happened within its episodic structure.

Also Big O gets ranked in 2013; we just went by Wikipedia.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sym-Bionic Titan somehow manages to be engaging no matter what's happening; there's high school stuff, sci-fi drama, giant robot fights, fish out of water comedy, and more traditional fight scenes, but focusing on one never leaves you longing for the others. It is one of the most impressive balancing acts on this block because it can and does routinely go wrong in other shows. The action is amazing, it's one of the funniest shows to air on this block, and it manages to get you invested in the characters in a way that only a handful of other shows on this block can claim. Nothing that's good about Sym-Bionic Titan has anything to do with it being 20 episodes long, especially when most of the shows it'll be compared to aren't all that much longer. "People like it because it could've been great" does not hold up as an argument because the vast majority of what people like about it is not its skeleton of a serialized plot, but what happened within its episodic structure.

Also Big O gets ranked in 2013; we just went by Wikipedia.

I can and do criticize it for not living up to its potential; the plot doesn't get going until the end and goes nowhere because the show was canceled. Now there's plenty of shows like this on the block, including Cowboy Bebop. In that case I find more of the standalone episodes entertaining and not boring like most of SBT's offerings. Also unlike SBT Cowboy Bebop has a real ending, which always helps.

I find two of the three leads annoying and I don't find the show particularly funny most of the time. The action is mediocre at best, though one or two episodes have incredible visuals.

Also I stand by my theory that people love shows like this because they feel they were unfairly canceled and made by a cult favorite director. I usually call it the Dreamcast effect, but as far as TV goes it goes all the way back to the original Star Trek series.

Regiruler

giphy.gif

Is this sped up?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Going to NXT Brooklyn again tonight, so not sure when I'll get back in. I imagine I should at least be back in time for One Punch Man.

Tonight on Toonami, Cell does the only logical thing and goes on TV to announce his candidacy for the Republican presidential nomination, Saitama goes out on patrol (where are Mahoney and Hightower?!), Tekkadan runs afoul of space pirates but there's nary a metroid in sight, Gon joins up with Leorio and Kurapika again as the three of them decide to focus on Leorio's target Ponzu, Deidara continues his assault on Sasuke and tries to make the Uchiha's death his greatest work yet, Luffy is forced to tangle with Gekko Moriah's Doppelman while Sanji crashes Absalom's wedding plans, and Kuramori goes off the deep end and tries to take out his revenge on Reiko.

11:30 - Dragonball Z Kai - 83 - Cell Invades the Airwaves! Announcing,"The Cell Games"
12:00 - One-Punch Man - 6 - The Terrifying City
12:30 - Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans - 11 - Human Debris
1:00 - HUNTER×HUNTER - 17 - Trap × In × The Hole
1:30 - Naruto Shippuden - 124 - Art
2:00 - One Piece - 358 - Blazing Knight Sanji!! Kick Down the Fake Wedding
2:30 - Parasyte -the maxim- - 17 - The Adventure of the Dying Detective

I can and do criticize it for not living up to its potential; the plot doesn't get going until the end and goes nowhere because the show was canceled. Now there's plenty of shows like this on the block, including Cowboy Bebop. In that case I find more of the standalone episodes entertaining and not boring like most of SBT's offerings. Also unlike SBT Cowboy Bebop has a real ending, which always helps.

I find two of the three leads annoying and I don't find the show particularly funny most of the time. The action is mediocre at best, though one or two episodes have incredible visuals.

Also I stand by my theory that people love shows like this because they feel they were unfairly canceled and made by a cult favorite director. I usually call it the Dreamcast effect, but as far as TV goes it goes all the way back to the original Star Trek series.

Hey, if that's the way you feel about it then cool. I don't agree with any of that, but it's fine. However, if you're gonna tell me the reason I like something then don't be completely wrong about it. There's not enough plot in Sym-Bionic Titan for cutting it short and thus "wasted potential" to be the reason people like it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
One last one, hopefully I'll be back before DBZ Kai.

gq6lSo5.gif

Also Seda is winning the avatar contest so far! Hopefully some more entries will come before 11:00pm!

Sym Biotic Titan is probably the most over hyped show that under delivered that I've seen new on Toonami. Like it's just an okay cartoon that took far too long to get good and got shit canned without resolving much of anything.

The funny thing is there really is no reason Bleach couldn't have had the exact same ending/epilogue after the Aizen arc. Either make Ichigo not lose his powers or some "it'll take x years for your powers to return if they do" and then flash forward to the epilogue we got.

So I've been having a garbage day. Had to deal with a lot of family health related issues throughout the day (Without going into detail, it's been stressful and nerve wracking and has left me on edge) and now my Vita 64GB might be bugging out since it corrupted two game (saves) and I've been informed it's likely dying. I'm expecting to not be able to watch Toonami tonight given how my day has went.

Mizerman

So I've been having a garbage day. Had to deal with a lot of family health related issues throughout the day (Without going into detail, it's been stressful and nerve wracking and has left me on edge) and now my Vita 64GB might be bugging out since it corrupted two game (saves) and I've been informed it's likely dying. I'm expecting to not be able to watch Toonami tonight given how my day has went.

Jeez.

Be sure to take it easy.

Crocodile

Symbiotic Titan

• Fun cast that plays off each other well (starts rough but gets good fast as they become more like family)
  • Interesting base scenario with a lot of room to come up with quality narratives
  • Handles comedy, action, drama all very well
  • Strong art design
  • Strong animation and choreography
  • Strong VA work
  • Booty Dance
Like what is there to hate on? Y'all are weird. Except Doctor Decimate. He's cool <3

I don't know what's going on and its not my business to pry but I wish you and your family well and that y'all can overcome these trying times!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Really hope everything works out for you, especially as someone who's had to deal with family health issues in the past.

If anything, use Toonami (or something else you like) as a way to take your mind off it & hopefully get rid of some of the stress.

Also sucks to hear about your Vita card. I want to upgrade my 32GB, but I hate how damn expensive the 64GB (& all of them in general) is.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Hey dude, I'm really hoping things get better for you guys soon. You got this though, you got this.

Really hope everything works out for you, especially as someone who's had to deal with family health issues in the past.

If anything, use Toonami (or something else you like) as a way to take your mind off it & hopefully get rid of some of the stress.

Also sucks to hear about your Vita card. I want to upgrade my 32GB, but I hate how damn expensive the 64GB (& all of them in general) is.

Thanks for that Zonic. I'm really hoping for a good Toonami watch. And from what I'm hearing about the 64 GB, you might be better off just getting another 32GB.

Hope everything turns out as best it can for your family, Shin.

Thank you, Seda.

Hey dude, I'm really hoping things get better for you guys soon. You got this though, you got this.

Thanks B-Dubs, I'm really hoping so as well. I've been able to handle what transpires on my end without that much trouble. It's just that today was a perfect storm of one thing after another that only finally let up a little while ago. I just want to put today behind me and move on to tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom