• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug/Sep16| NUDE GIRLS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I am crushingly disappointed with the Kalos league outcome, I still really enjoyed XY and XYZ.

Had a lot of fun watching them, even with this outcome.

Crocodile

Can you blame them though? In the past 5 years all they've gotten is other M which is universally panned and a spin off that while probably fun is not the only game that should have celebrated Metroid's anniversary. Yes the people sending death threats are going to far but I think most people have a right to be upset at Nintendo's handling of the situation.

The only way I don't agree with their anger is over Nintendo C&D on the Metroid 2 Fan Remake. Nintendo handled it the best possible way they could as a corportation (ignored it till it was out then sent the c&d). Esepcially when the free metroid 2 remake is in conflict with their paid metroid spin off game coming out soon.

Also lets not hivemind all metroid fans the same way we shouldn't hivemind all of GAF.

I mean I don't think I was using "fanbase" in a way any more monolithic than you were. I assumed, maybe erroneously, you were primarily referring to the fallout with Federation Force and A2MR. Other M was bad but it was actually more than 5 years ago. Series have bad entries. Sometimes they even "end" on bad entries. It sucks but I wouldn't call it the end times. I'm still waiting for Crono Break but I'm not unreasonably upset the series has been dead since 1999.

Federation Force is a game that doesn't interest me in the slightest but I'm not mad it exists. I would have preferred that Nintendo left AM2R alone but if they HAD to mess with it, they did so after release. I feel confident that if I care enough I can find a copy online in six months. Like I think it legit sucks we haven't had a good entry in the Metroid series in years and I understand why people are not happy about that. That being said, I feel some people are unreasonably upset about this fact and use what I would consider language or preform actions not in accordance to the nature of the slight. Vocal Minority? Perhaps but boy are they loud and boy is it rarely a good look. Like I just can't afford to muster up the sense of rage about this that many others are able to do. It's not worth it.

I mean I don't think I was using "fanbase" in a way any more monolithic than you were. I assumed, maybe erroneously, you were primarily referring to the fallout with Federation Force and A2MR. Other M was bad but it was actually more than 5 years ago. Series have bad entries. Sometimes they even "end" on bad entries. It sucks but I wouldn't call it the end times. I'm still waiting for Crono Break but I'm not unreasonably upset the series has been dead since 1999.

Federation Force is a game that doesn't interest me in the slightest but I'm not mad it exists. I would have preferred that Nintendo left AM2R alone but if they HAD to mess with it, they did so after release. I feel confident that if I care enough I can find a copy online in six months. Like I think it legit sucks we haven't had a good entry in the Metroid series in years and I understand why people are not happy about that. That being said, I feel some people are unreasonably upset about this fact and use what I would consider language or preform actions not in accordance to the nature of the slight. Vocal Minority? Perhaps but boy are they loud and boy is it rarely a good look. Like I just can't afford to muster up the sense of rage about this that many others are able to do. It's not worth it.

That's the same mindset that made everyone who didn't like the new ghosbusters a raging sexist. The haters/lovers are always the loudest look at final fantasy 15's delay and No Man's sky reactions as well. Its why you see so many "neogaf/reddit/twitter/etc are cesspool" comments because the loudest nastiest critics or blind fanboys get more attention then they deserve. Going back to Metroid there are plenty of fans like the two of us who have no interest in FF said our piece and moved on to things we want to do with our free time, the crazies with nothing better to do just hit that ignore button and move on. 99% of the time its the same crazy fan boys or haters in every thread and ignoring them just makes things a lot smoother.

A lot of the outrage around Federation Force seems based around this idea that the game exists in place of an actual Metroid when...that is not remotely how that works.

And while I do sympathize a bit with people who don't want Konami to prop up the corpse of the MGS franchise and stuff it full of the bullshit they hear kids are into these days, I'm...also not sure what anyone expected. Anything they were gonna do with it after Kojima left was probably gonna be some bullshit, whether it was pachinko or Survive, which is one of the saddest, most obvious grabs at easy mass appeal I have ever seen.

But there are no sacred brands being forever tarnished here. Both Metroid and MGS have had some silly shit associated with them in the past, and it feels like people are using these games as targets to blow off steam about the state of those franchises in general.

Guys, Bleach ended on a note where Kubo could pick it up again at any point.

And if it does continue, we could potentially see another anime...

Be afraid.

Be very afraid.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
bbS2vyU.gif

Crocodile

That's the same mindset that made everyone who didn't like the new ghosbusters a raging sexist. The haters/lovers are always the loudest look at final fantasy 15's delay and No Man's sky reactions as well. Its why you see so many "neogaf/reddit/twitter/etc are cesspool" comments because the loudest nastiest critics or blind fanboys get more attention then they deserve. Going back to Metroid there are plenty of fans like the two of us who have no interest in FF said our piece and moved on to things we want to do with our free time, the crazies with nothing better to do just hit that ignore button and move on. 99% of the time its the same crazy fan boys or haters in every thread and ignoring them just makes things a lot smoother.

Do I really need to put a "Not all ______" disclaimer in front of my descriptions? Like its true all fanbases have less than ideal aspects to them or dumbasses as members. However there are still elements unique to those fanbases, even if they don't represent the majority of its members. Not all criticism of Ghostbusters 2016 was routed in sexism (and it could be annoying when some would try to deflect any sort of criticism to that). That doesn't change the fact that a non-insignificant amount of it was routed in sexism. The entirety of the Steven Universe fanbase isn't filled with legit SJWs - most people in the fanbase are cool. That doesn't change the fact that people from that fanbase have repeatedly harassed and abused others in the name of progressive ideals - that's not something you see often in other fanbases even if its not something the vast majority of SU fans do. The Sonic fanbase has a lot of furries =/= the Sonic fanbase are all/majority furries. I could go on and on.

To that end, as someone who considers themselves part of the Metroid fanbase, because I really like most of the games and I really like Samus (yes even Zero Suit Samus which I think is a good design),I consider a non-insignificant number of Metroid fans (even if they are the minority) to be whiny as all hell. Whiny to a degree and frequency I don't see in a lot of other fanbases.

Do I really need to put a "Not all ______" disclaimer in front of my descriptions? Like its true all fanbases have less than ideal aspects to them or dumbasses as members. However there are still elements unique to those fanbases, even if they don't represent the majority of its members. Not all criticism of Ghostbusters 2016 was routed in sexism (and it could be annoying when some would try to deflect any sort of criticism to that). That doesn't change the fact that a non-insignificant amount of it was routed in sexism. The entirety of the Steven Universe fanbase isn't filled with legit SJWs - most people in the fanbase are cool. That doesn't change the fact that people from that fanbase have repeatedly harassed and abused others in the name of progressive ideals - that's not something you see often in other fanbases even if its not something the vast majority of SU fans do. The Sonic fanbase has a lot of furries =/= the Sonic fanbase are all/majority furries. I could go on and on.

To that end, as someone who considers themselves part of the Metroid fanbase, because I really like most of the games and I really like Samus (yes even Zero Suit Samus which I think is a good design),I consider a non-insignificant number of Metroid fans (even if they are the minority) to be whiny as all hell. Whiny to a degree and frequency I don't see in a lot of other fanbases.

Is it that the metroid fanbase is more whiny or that they have something to whine about? I feel that by posting on an enthusaist board were naturally surrounding ourselves with people extremely passionate about video games. The same enthusiast that are going to complain and upset when you disrepect a franchise they love, but will also be the first in line to support something they want. Also I'm gonna have to call you out when we have the nonsense with a section final fantasy fans who seemingly want FF15 to fail, the 15 headed hydra that is the sonic fanbase and they're inability to decide what they want, pokemon fans who go out of there way to shit on anything that wasn't in gen 1, that smash fan base that has a small melt down everytime someone new is confirmed or not confirmed or when the argument over melee vs smash 4 competitive happens, etc etc etc. The Metroid fan base isn't any more or less whiny then any of the above, they're just at a peak because FF is about to come out. In a month nobody will care anymore.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*sees Funimation is releasing a LE to go with the dub for Shimoneta* Oh, Funimation, you're so silly.

*sees there's a feature called "Moms watch Shimoneta* *sigh* Oh, Funimation.....if it didn't work for EA & Dead Space, why would you think it'd work for this?

Also, was at Goodwill & saw a boxed set of the first 25 episodes of Yu Yu Hakusho. Was kind of tempted, but then saw it was clearly advertised as being the "edited" episodes, so I decided to pass on it. I also saw the complete Blood Lad series at Walmart for $10, could've sworn one or two people here talked about it before.

*sees Funimation is releasing a LE to go with the dub for Shimoneta* Oh, Funimation, you're so silly.

*sees there's a feature called "Moms watch Shimoneta* *sigh* Oh, Funimation.....if it didn't work for EA & Dead Space, why would you think it'd work for this?

Also, was at Goodwill & saw a boxed set of the first 25 episodes of Yu Yu Hakusho. Was kind of tempted, but then saw it was clearly advertised as being the "edited" episodes, so I decided to pass on it. I also saw the complete Blood Lad series at Walmart for $10, could've sworn one or two people here talked about it before.

Blood Lad is pretty fun liked it short but sweet

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Blood Lad is pretty fun liked it short but sweet
Yeah, I recall hearing decent things about it, & for $10, seems like a good series to pick up & then let my friend borrow. I wish I could remember who said it, but they said it almost felt like a parody of otakus with how the main character has a crush on the main female, but once she becomes a zombie or something, he instantly loses all interest. But other than that, I recall hearing it had some decent humor.

That Yu Yu Hakusho set I saw was only $9, but again, the fact it was advertised as the edited versions turned me off.

Yeah, I recall hearing decent things about it, & for $10, seems like a good series to pick up & then let my friend borrow. I wish I could remember who said it, but they said it almost felt like a parody of otakus with how the main character has a crush on the main female, but once she becomes a zombie or something, he instantly loses all interest. But other than that, I recall hearing it had some decent humor.

That Yu Yu Hakusho set I saw was only $9, but again, the fact it was advertised as the edited versions turned me off.

Yeah the series has some good action, fun gags, and a fairly likable cast even if every girl over the age of 16 is drawn with ballistics

Crocodile

Is it that the metroid fanbase is more whiny or that they have something to whine about? I feel that by posting on an enthusaist board were naturally surrounding ourselves with people extremely passionate about video games. The same enthusiast that are going to complain and upset when you disrepect a franchise they love, but will also be the first in line to support something they want. Also I'm gonna have to call you out when we have the nonsense with a section final fantasy fans who seemingly want FF15 to fail, the 15 headed hydra that is the sonic fanbase and they're inability to decide what they want, pokemon fans who go out of there way to shit on anything that wasn't in gen 1, that smash fan base that has a small melt down everytime someone new is confirmed or not confirmed or when the argument over melee vs smash 4 competitive happens, etc etc etc. The Metroid fan base isn't any more or less whiny then any of the above, they're just at a peak because FF is about to come out. In a month nobody will care anymore.

A) I'm comparing fanbases (using anecdotes and what I personally observe or read about) as I see them online on places like NeoGaf, Tumblr, Twitter, Deviantart, etc. So I don't think "enthusiast space" is really a relevant variable. I'm comparing samples from various "enthusiast" online spaces against each other. I don't go to fanbase specific sites frequently/almost ever though like Sonic forums or SU forms, etc.

B) If your point is that every fanbase has its characteristic flaws I don't disagree. Most of those things you've listed aren't what I would call "whinyness" or a frequent sense they've been "betrayed" because there hasn't been a standard game in the series for a long time. They are all for the most part (maybe the "Sakurai hates competitive players" meme in the Smash fanbase is similar) different maladies.

Wow, Capcom is gonna kill Dead Rising with how they're treating the new game...

Getting rid of Frank's VA, giving the game pointless regenerating health, and getting rid of the time limit is an interesting strategy to be sure.

zulux21

blood lad was a decent show BUT! it ends just as it gets started.

basically they do all the set up for an arc, and it ends.
at least the manga is now slowly coming out in english, back when the anime aired the manga wasn't being translated either.
the manga is also just about to end, so if there is any hope of a second season (close to zero) it will likely be announced next month.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

No, they're definitely more whiny.

Metroid is one of my favorite game series and I can barely stand to open Metroid-related threads anymore because people are being so ridiculous.

https://archive.org/details/showdown1

Okay, so part 1 of the Toonami Show Rundown's Toonami Showdown (it's not confusing) is up, which ranks 13 shows from 2012. Sketch from the Toonami Faithful joined us for this whole thing.

The video version with like timestamps and images stuff is gonna be up...either tonight or tomorrow. That's when I'll post our ranked list for 2012, so people can jump to that segment of the podcast if they wanna hear our arguments for its place on the list.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Alright it's that time of the month. Only I'm doing things a little differently.

Time to pick my Avatar until September 1st. Updated rules are as follows.

1. Must be properly formatted.
2. Must not get me banned. No nudity. Nothing racist/sexist/against TOS of this site in general.
3. The best submission that is posted here between now and the beginning of Family Guy on Saturday Night right before TOONAMI will be chosen and used for the rest of the month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom