• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug14| Melodrama Marathon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

This is what people said about SAO.
True. It's been a while since a show drew as much ire as Beware the Batman, Blue Exorcist had its moments but it still had legit good episodes. Beware would be a great hate watch if it wasn't so deep into the night. The only reason it gets as much comments as it does is because Black Lagoon airs right after it.

I need to watch Jack since several shows bored me to sleep (NARUTO!!!!). I caught most everything tonight. The next few nights should be great with BL coming to a close and Gurran Lagaan. It is just a shame so much shit is sandwiched between the quality.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Good job SAB CA

Thanks Ya! *bow* And I have no idea why I'm already awake. RIght before Toonami started last night, someone commented on one of the old Dumps, saying they'd love to see Final Act hit Toonami... you sent them, didn't you?! :) It's rare enough for me to get comments, even rarer for such a particular show... but it definitely made me smile.

We really appreciate it SAB, it wouldnt be a good saturday night without ya

Wohoo, wouldn't even be GOOD! AWEOSME! *devours the pressure like SaltyTears* Really appreciate the appreciation! I wanna think one day the dumps might mean something to more than GAF and Miiverse, but for now, I'm just happy both sides respond so well!

Looks like Demarco has some early results.

https://twitter.com/Clarknova1

Wow, such response, much fast. The "commentators hate it, ratings say otherwise" reminds me so much of GAF on games, haha.

I really wonder what will come of this. If we got 1 new truly nostalgic show out of it, I'd be kinda hyped. A friend of mind suggested Macross / Robotech, the convo started with Kenichi Sonoda style shows.... that'd be some fun stuff to DUMP.

Most people claim darker, but yet our darkest show in ages seems like anti viewer-spray? :/

Another great drawing SAB

Will catch up on Clone Wars and Jack after work

Thanks, and enjoy! I'm so "Meh, whatever" by the time Clone Wars comes on (Sketch Dump CRUNCH TIME!), I probably should go back and rewatch it every once in a while too... Oddly enough, I got into the final phases of the pic solidly within Jack's airtime last night, so I got to really appreciate the final fight for once!

Morning

Commentating Again :
Like your selection.
A variety of funny and cool looking pics. :)

Thanks a lot again! It's so odd to try and BALANCE anything when you have no idea what's going to stick out or even happen over the night. I get to cherry-pick more early on (hence why Bleach pics normally come out very nicely), and by night's end, I'm thinking "what the heck can I fit in, I have 4 shows left to do in an hour!", haha.

Fuck... I woke up so late today (10:35). My internal clock is all messy these days.
Anywho...

Oy, I know that feeling...~ Blitz commentary on commentary!

~ Hanji makes everything better!

~ "Orihime was cute tonight!" leaves me feeling satisfied enough. Oh, and watching her confidently deflect something Strawberry would have had issues dealing with was pretty nice.

~ How did LeLouche start working with Brittania again?! The character was MADE to be JOHNNY Y.B. That felt pretty cool!

~ A friend in the MiiDump joked at PaintTool SAI. I am amused. I should really like a drawing based character, but...

~ I actually rather enjoy the idea of the big people squashing loads of underlings. I prefer this side of the "Aniki!" wimps that flood all of O.P, than their constant child-like idolization and dependence on their betters. Kinda reminds me of how Hercule/Satan in DBZ shows us what a solid human warrior is like... to make the Saiya-jin's appear even more impressive.

~ Though I've seen the show, I rarely ever remember episode 1. The first time it premiered, I missed the first few minutes, too. I like hearing "Teen Gohan" in a motivator's role, really. He's not what I'd expect as Kamina, but he gives this "I picked the manliness handbook up off the street, but I'm ALL ABOUT THAT LIFE NOW!" kinda goofball earnest-ness that feels kinda fresh for the role.

~ Alfred left so the animators can spend the budget on other characters, DUH! If him being one less Katana/Bats interpreter means that Kata has to develop a real personality, I'm all for it, really.

~ I like how Ball-Buster Rock got the favor returned this episode. A taste of his own medicine. I enjoy Yukio as a foil to Rock, and she handles this role she's placed herself in much differently than most females in anime would. Chaka's the kinda guy you just wanna see DIE. The idea that he called Ginji "Evil" after what he was suggesting / participating in with Yukio and his own subordinates is so... wow. What a loser moron.

Does it make sense that the scene of Tukio and Ginji that I referenced for the Dump reminds me of something out of Metal Gear?! It felt extra-cool to me for that reason...​

Idk if it was posted but the "give give " line from lagoon last night was also a bit funny in the subs
http://youtu.be/9F5p1_hR2Ws

Engrish all up in that

I can deal with that, lol. I actually kinda regret not having an obvious equivalent in the dub, because it added more gravity to the moment.

Missed last night due to be on vacation and not having CN for some reason.

Only watched the 3 shows I haven't seen before.

Bleach
Still not buying that Ginjo isn't evil...also talk about a roundabout fucking way to get powers...

Space Dandy
Based Bosch is Based. Also those JoJo poses were gdlk. Really good song. Sinclair is a damn good VO.

Black Lagoon: The Goofining.
Those guys getting what they deserve was awesome. Revy also was in rare form. Too bad things are about to get realer than real. This show is so good. Constantly will hate younger me for dropping it. Hope the same goes for GL (saw the first few episodes, then dropped it...also some douche spoiled THAT moment for me).

Roundabout you say? *Hums JoJo ending theme* I kinda liked it. Good way to use a game world to inflict silly damage you'd normally never be able to get away with in "training". Slashing a man's EYES is pretty vile.

I totally wanted to Johnny "KONO DIO GA" in the dump, but I think I'll save that for the Dandy Megapic... I need to actually do a GOOD job drawing Johnny, lol.

You dropped Gurren? WHAT THE HELL DID YOU THINK~ *AHEM* well, it was all a way to make it more impactful when the show came to Toonami! All according to Keikaku! Even with that moment spoiled... it'll be worth seeing it live. EVERY. TIME.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
SAO was fun to hate while BtB is abysmal on all levels and end up being nothing but a constant cycle of failure.

SAO at least has moments where it's funny bad. Like Episode 3 with the most obvious trap ever, or Suguha's breakdown near the end of the series (that was meant to be comedic right?)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Looks like Demarco has some early results.

https://twitter.com/Clarknova1
I kind of gotta agree with the people who're saying that what Toonami's doing right now is good. I like the mixture of comedy, newer shows, older shows, & darker stuff. Rather have variety instead of just one genre, even if I like said genre.

& sounds like my friend might come over and watch the AoT marathon since he doesn't have satellite (or internet, though he might move soon to an apartment that does), so this will be the one time he'll be able to watch the first season. Probably won't have any trouble staying up considering he works the 3rd shift at the movie theater.

How do you guys feel about the less American animated shows part? I actually like them sometimes. They're good for variety I think.

Want very much.

Unless it's newly made for the Adult Swim timeslot, I don't want it on Toonami. Anything that was able to air on regular CN feels out of place next to the uncut anime. Kids should be in bed by 1 AM on a Saturday/Sunday!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
How do you guys feel about the less American animated shows part? I actually like them sometimes. They're good for variety I think.

I feel kinda bad for thinking that much of the American animation on the block is strongly within my "nothing to see here, take a break!" mood of the night. I think that's less to do with them being American / Western, and more with the shows themselves.

Genndy shows are a nice thing for the block. I like them because they feel like the product of someone who loves anime, similar to Toonami's audience. But shows that have none of that appreciation, edginess, or complexity... don't really belong in the same company.

Star Wars is weird for me. I generally dislike the CG animation shows for this block, even if I had no problem with ReBoot being there in the past.

I kind of gotta agree with the people who're saying that what Toonami's doing right now is good. I like the mixture of comedy, newer shows, older shows, & darker stuff. Rather have variety instead of just one genre, even if I like said genre.

Yeah, the mix is pretty good, overall. Bats and Lagoon clash like nothing ever paired up before, but Toonami does a good job working with a wide variety of things that are otherwise massively unrelated.

I really think Dandy does a great job of being a show that feels like it IS the essence of Toonami. Not always pure action, but always with enough to count for the block. Just the right amount of Fan-service, immature comedy, meaningful moments, and self-aware, audience-aware commentary. As long as Bleach has been a part of Adult Swim action, I don't think it defines Toonami nearly as well. And even One Piece I feel is a bit too slow at times, and pulls too many punches in ways that seems like they betray the gravity of what I SHOULD be feeling.

I actually really like the darkness Black Lagoon brings to things. Some of it is more vile than I'd normally watch, sure, but for one, I like that, because it means I wouldn't have seen it yet, and two, it sets the bar at a place that truly feels "adult", due to it's complexity and subject maturity. I think it does a better job at this than CashSins or Deadman Wonderland, actually. It's more like a less-refined, more cynical Bebop.

All that said, I think there's place for at least 1 more real comedy on the block. Something more FLCL or Excel Saga-ish. Or maybe kinda Slayer's-ish? Yet I have no idea what that is.

And I kinda miss my overly-deep philosophy of GiTS. Having something of a Thinking-man's anime on the block was a great way to wash down the Shonen overload.

MikeMyers

Thanks Ya! *bow* And I have no idea why I'm already awake. RIght before Toonami started last night, someone commented on one of the old Dumps, saying they'd love to see Final Act hit Toonami... you sent them, didn't you?! :) It's rare enough for me to get comments, even rarer for such a particular show... but it definitely made me smile.

I didn't even know there was a place to comment on your older dumps.

Maybe the Shikon No Tama is acting on its own?

Well it just the reality of the situation. No one is ever going to commission an action series ever again and sooner or later Toonami is going to run out of ones that are available to them. Its a sad time to be an American animator that doesn't just want to make comedy, there's nothing for them to do besides maybe work for Warner Bros Animation.

ckohler

I agree with Slamtastic.

Toonami should embrace its Adult Swim affiliation and avoid shows that could air on CN during the day. This block is for adults.

Comedy or drama doesn't matter as long as action features prominently and the show isn't insulting to our intelligence (which kids shows are).

This highlights why BtB is not a good fit. It has action and drama bit the show is obviously written only for children so it is insulting to the adult audience of Toonami.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Part of the issue is that not counting the ones from the '80s & '90s, there really isn't a ton of US animated action shows anymore, unless they have a ton of comedy mixed in. A shame, because stuff like Megas XLR was pretty good (though I need to rewatch that to make sure I'm not just seeing that series through nostalgia glasses). Now, most of the action shows that actually exist are based on comics (i.e all those Marvel shows on Disney) or whatever, like hehateme said.

Meanwhile, Japan has a huge variety of genres for their anime so it's easier to find something from a specific genre. That's part of the reason why I got into anime in the first place.

Edit: Also agree with ckohler. If this is on at night, I wanna have shows that aren't able to air on CN due to its content. Not saying it needs to be full-on 17+ stuff, just something that feels a bit more age appropriate to us. Again, part of the reason why I was turning to anime was because as a teenager, US cartoons to me were either for kids or adult comedies with very little in between.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I'd watch anything that's good. The real problem is that there AREN'T any action shows coming out of the U.S. anymore.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Part of the issue is that not counting the ones from the '80s & '90s, there really isn't a ton of US animated action shows anymore, unless they have a ton of comedy mixed in. A shame, because stuff like Megas XLR was pretty good (though I need to rewatch that to make sure I'm not just seeing that series through nostalgia glasses). Now, most of the action shows that actually exist are based on comics (i.e all those Marvel shows on Disney) or whatever, like hehateme said.

Meanwhile, Japan has a huge variety of genres for their anime so it's easier to find something from a specific genre. That's part of the reason why I got into anime in the first place.

It's not nostalgia, Megas holds up as one of the two greatest giant robot shows ever.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's not nostalgia, Megas holds up as one of the two greatest giant robot shows ever.
Just a shame it's a pain to get the episodes legally. I think the only place you can get it is via Xbox Video & it's $2 per episode, so it's over $50 to get all the episodes. No bonuses, not even on DVD. Just to have it digitally on your 360 or X1.

Unless it's now on Netflix or Hulu or something & I just don't know it. Wasn't it because of legal reasons or something it hasn't gotten a DVD release, or was that just for re-airing it on TV?

Amikami

Banned
zlCfzSUq_QANUtuBG5

zlCfzSUlZa8xUk4h68

LATER.

Cool. I like this collage-like take on Toonami night. Great job.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Just a shame it's a pain to get the episodes legally. I think the only place you can get it is via Xbox Video & it's $2 per episode, so it's over $50 to get all the episodes. No bonuses, not even on DVD. Just to have it digitally on your 360 or X1.

Unless it's now on Netflix or Hulu or something & I just don't know it. Wasn't it because of legal reasons or something it hasn't gotten a DVD release, or was that just for re-airing it on TV?

Apparently it did have a short-lived DVD release as a google search showed this: http://www.ioffer.com/i/megas-xlr-seasons-one-and-two-complete-series-on-dvd-164134165

No idea how legit it is though.

EDIT: It's also available on iTunes, so you can burn it to DVD.

ckohler

I only saw an episode or two so all I remember about Megas was that is was kinda crudely animated and seemed really corny. It seemed like Swat Kats except with junkyard robots. Did it have real depth beyond jokes?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Doesn't appear on Amazon, so I don't think it's an actual release. Though at least it's on iTunes. Only see those packs that have an episode with other shows on the disc.

& damn it, Amazon, I didn't need to know I can get Steins;Gate for $30 on DVD/BD combo on Sept. 30th. I can't buy any anime with my current budget.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I only saw an episode or two so all I remember about Megas was that is was kinda crudely animated and seemed really corny. It seemed like Swat Kats except with junkyard robots. Did it have real depth beyond jokes?

It wasn't really an overarching story type series, it's closer to Dandy than Naruto. Coop and co go riding around in their giant robot and shit happens, it's usually all his fault. When I say usually I mean "all the damn time."

It makes fun of giant robot series, parodying every single trope you can think of.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I didn't even know there was a place to comment on your older dumps.

Maybe the Shikon No Tama is acting on its own?

I have a few up on my Pinterest, which I really need to update... it's months behind. Same with Tumblr and occasional Deviantart.

I love how there's an item called "Sacred Jewel" in Brave Frontier on tablets. I can't look at it without making some references... and it's a really good item too! Come to me, those who seek the power of this, the Jewel of Four Souls! We'll all... have lunch or something.

Brother and I still get a bit quiet when the FMA:B Battle music starts... those familiar war trumpets...

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Cool. I like this collage-like take on Toonami night. Great job.

Thanks! At the end of last night I felt "there's no way I'm ever doing this in one night again!", lol. Everyone makes me think "well... ok, once every once in a while!"; gotta keep that variety flowing! It's probably one of my best received on Miiverse itself in a while... Every art community loves big, colorful pictures...

Oh nice, show me the Final Act comment.

The most basic comment possible, here! I don't GET comments on my Pinterest basically at all, so I was pleasantly surprised.

The thing about kids shows is that they're free. They're not the alternatives to more new shows, they're the alternatives to more ASA reruns. So in that regard I have no problem with them, and really if they can get Young Justice or any DCAU show on here they'd be showing something better than a lot of what's currently on the block.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Is it weird that I'd possibly be more OK with Teen Titans GO! Being on the block than Beware the Bat? I'm always pleasantly surprised when TTG has odd moments that make me question who the heck the show is being made for, much like how much of old Toonami felt like it was skewing a bit higher / shockingly appropriate than the expected age ranges.

1389877301701.gif
tumblr_n74ofzifX81rkmmnxo1_500.gif

I'd probably never ASK for it to be on the block... but... I wouldn't be as annoyed seeing it as I would be for many other "not quite right" series... It kinda seems like a western kiddy Dandy in the way it pokes fun at it's fans inner-thoughts.

Does make me wonder how making a "Midnight Run" Edition of an otherwise normal kids show would work for them now a days. A show made for normal Cartoon Network, but with a Toonami-ified version might actually be a way to get a western show that'd be fitting. Or how about something like non-censored & kidified Yugioh or certain Digimon?

Some light hearted but could still feel like a Toonami show? Gundam Build Fighters could be that, but I doubt that would ever happen.
Edit :TTG is exposing my lewd thoughts about Raven.

Korigama

Some light hearted but could still feel like a Toonami show? Gundam Build Fighters could be that, but I doubt that would ever happen.
Edit :TTG is exposing my lewd thoughts about Raven.
Log Horizon. But, being licensed by Sentai Filmworks, it's also something unlikely to happen.

Ponn

Banned
I have been playing Pirate Warriors 2 since 10am and it is such a blast. Im doing Luffy proud

Objective: Defeat this general and support Chopper and blah blah

Me: Yarrr whatever SMASH everything!

Loving the customization options and I havent unlocked alot of people yet but loving Smoker so far.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
It wasn't really an overarching story type series, it's closer to Dandy than Naruto. Coop and co go riding around in their giant robot and shit happens, it's usually all his fault. When I say usually I mean "all the damn time."

It makes fun of giant robot series, parodying every single trope you can think of.

Not just giant robots, but anime in general.
Two episodes feature a Gatchaman parody
One has the Sailor Scouts.
One has Captain Harlock

Of course, there's plenty of giant robot parodies too.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Not just giant robots, but anime in general.
Two episodes feature a Gatchaman parody
One has the Sailor Scouts.
One has Captain Harlock

Of course, there's plenty of giant robot parodies too.

Also some Godzilla parodies, a couple of wrestling ones and a great time travel one.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I have been playing Pirate Warriors 2 since 10am and it is such a blast. Im doing Luffy proud

Objective: Defeat this general and support Chopper and blah blah

Me: Yarrr whatever SMASH everything!

Loving the customization options and I havent unlocked alot of people yet but loving Smoker so far.

Smoke-yan feels so good in that game. Makes me feel more bummed when he gets kicked around like an underling in the show, haha. Everyone is just so satisfyingly OP.

Really, Kaizoku Musou is everything I love about OP in game form. It's the perfect way to chase away the "Nothing happened this episode and these characters are IDIOTS" feels that certain over-padded sections of the show leave me with.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So what was the place to leave feedback online? Just their tumblr?

& HOLY CRAP, another damn full-page ad on Neogaf. This is the 3rd time this month. Why have the ads been so annoying lately?

Crocodile

I'd watch anything that's good. The real problem is that there AREN'T any action shows coming out of the U.S. anymore.

Pretty much. If someone is opposed to American animation in general they are a weeboo and should be ignored. However, most of the legacy American action shows of note are in limbo or exclusive to Disney/Marvel/Nick/etc. and the number of new action shows on the air or to be made in the future can probably be counted on one hand. Contrast this to Japan who make maybe 20 or so action shows a year. Most are crap (law of averages and whatnot) but you only need a few good/great ones a year to keep something like Toonami running for a good long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom