• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug14| Melodrama Marathon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

Finally got around to watching Jack so review time!

Attack on Titan
Crazy girl is best girl. Lots of world building this episode as we meet the recon corp and Levi's band of misfits. We had a special chapter manga around this time that began to peak my interest on what exactly the titans are. I hear the latter half of the anime has much better pacing than the previous half. Fingers crossed!

Bleach
Back to shit pacing and 10 episodes are left?!?! Ichigo spends the whole episode training and Orihime tries to be relevant but Kubo literally writes her into a corner. Pretty eh episode.

Space Dandy

One of the Holy Trinity for night. Great animation as per usual, being more like JoJo is never a bad thing, and most importantly the jokes landed pretty well. I will never get tired of Meow's deadpan delivery for most of the episode.

Shippuden
Episode put me to sleep and I am not going waste my energy to go back and rewatch it so I am striking it from the rankings this week. I give it an Ambien/10

One Piece

After watching the sub for so long this episode is a breath of fresh air. Luffy is wrecking fools, Rocketman nails a giant in the spine, all according to Sniper King's Keikaku. Pretty fun episode

TTGL
The hype is real, the second of the Holy Trinity. Great opening episode that introduces the three main characters. Dub seems as good as I remember it but I may dig into the dub's VA's after a few more episodes aired. Try and keep spoilers to a minimum you guys! This series should be a fun rewatch with newbies here.

Beware the Badman
Everyone is an idiot this episode. This episode was a chore, plain and simple. At worst it was insufferable and at others it was unintentionally hilarious. The empty city 'in chaos', Ras being killed by ghosts, Katana meeting her father before exploding. I could go on but I rather not dedicate more brain cells to such a stupid episode

Black Lagoon
The last of the Holy Trinity of the night. One of my favorite episode of the series. Some great character development for Rock and his stakes in all this. Revy wanting to go toe to toe with Ginjo. Boogyman gobbling everyone up. That asshole getting his ass handed to him. A BULLET WAS FUCKING SPLIT IN HALF. I expected this episode to be fantastic and it was.

Clone Wars
The second show to put me to sleep. It isn't even about Clone Wars anymore. It is disappointing since I KNOW the show can do better but it decided to save its budget on a string of boring ass episodes which probably tanked its ratings.

Samurai Jack
I am ashamed I missed this. It was actually a pretty good episode. Jack does a great job retelling classic movies/stories in it's settings. I also love fights on trains for some reason. They are always so epic.

Rankings!

Holy Trinity
Black Lagoon
TTGL
Space Dandy

Good
One Piece
Samurai Jack
Attack on Titan

Awful
Clone Wars
Bleach
Beware the Jobber

tumblr_nah9fmlugh1r4idino1_500.jpg

http://www.redbubble.com/people/illestraider/works/12475075-mystified-lonely-nights

WANT. WANT. WANT.

basically i need a new one in the 400-700 range (preferably 500 or 600) because i got a garbage Acer Aspire that decided to shit out on me in a variety of different ways after two years. i'd like to still be able to play games on it, but i tend to just play indie games so it doesn't need to be anything super powerful (though that would be nice). battery life isn't much of a concern either way since i tend to use it exclusively near an outlet of some sort.

Jarate

Banned
basically i need a new one in the 400-700 range (preferably 500 or 600) because i got a garbage Acer Aspire that decided to shit out on me in a variety of different ways after two years. i'd like to still be able to play games on it, but i tend to just play indie games so it doesn't need to be anything super powerful (though that would be nice). battery life isn't much of a concern either way since i tend to use it exclusively near an outlet of some sort.

unfortunately, the laptop scene is quite bad

Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p Ive heard good things about this laptop. You might be able to find it in the 800 range

i hear the latter half of this season is good. problem is we've still got three or four episodes to get there.

how so? they've got new characters and villains, so they're not really stuck with the fact that Grievous can't be captured and Obi-Wan can't die

Its still stuck in the fact these characters aren't in episodes 4-6, so any actions they take can't have any real lasting impact on the story, and the story has to have an explanation for why they aren't helping the rebellion in episodes 4-6.

unfortunately, the laptop scene is quite bad

Lenovo IdeaPad Y510p Ive heard good things about this laptop. You might be able to find it in the 800 range

so i'm screwed ;-;

Its still stuck in the fact these characters aren't in episodes 4-6, so any actions they take can't have any real lasting impact on the story, and the story has to have an explanation for why they aren't helping the rebellion in episodes 4-6.

their actions don't have to be on as huge a scale as taking down the Empire, though. it's like if Clone Wars focused on a squad instead of pretty much every major character on the Republic's side of the conflict.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh yeah, not sure if I mentioned this earlier, but glad to hear so many positive reactions to the first episode of Gurren Lagann. Re-confirms that it's gonna be fun doing a group watch with people who never saw the series. I look forward to hearing a final opinion once the series ends.

Seda

I didn't really comment on Gurren Lagann. It was fun.

The Kamina dub discussion, Yoko unclephilfacing, spoiler issues were annoying/distracting though.

ftr I think Kamina sounds appropriately campy based on his mannerisms and personality, though of course I have no frame of reference to compare to his JPN voice.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Nu Toonami has only had a couple of actual bad dubs. If you include Adult Swim Action and retro Toonami though...the list is long.

And then you have Bleach, which has a dub in its own damn category...The most disappointing misappropriation of talent ever?

Raxus

We have several big Kamina moments coming up and I can then post some sub clips to compare. Personally, I like him for the most part but some line reads are off while others are spot on for what I know about the character. I want to spend more time with him to give him a fair shake. Everyone else is great, especially Simon.

As far as spoilers, I don't think I mentioned any future characters or major spoilers but one doofus in the thread (who I won't point out) spoiled a MAJOR MAJOR part of the series when the first episode aired. Not cool man, not cool. Try to keep comments about the series about the current episode and the episodes that already aired. I tend to make exceptions to long running shonen since it will be YEARS to reach major spoilers (even then I tag them as often as I can) in those series but for a 26 episode series it may be an episode that airs within the next 2 weeks. If you really want to discuss something that badly then for the love of god clearly label, bold, underline tag the spoiler before discussing it. Common sense no?

As far as Yoko unclephil'ing. Apart from the obvious it should cool down after the first episode (I hope). I usually play unclephil and waifus for laughs but I can see it getting annoying when it happens in stereo. The sarcasm is lost on others as well.

And then you have Bleach, which has a dub in its own damn category...The most disappointing misappropriation of talent ever?
It was jarring seeing JYB pop up several times last week actually acting in his roles outside of Bleach. Just 10 more episodes left JYB. 10 more episodes.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Someone should put in the effort and find out exact what percentage of Bass's posts on Saturday have been Uncle Phil in the past few months.

Moaradin

"not as good as the original" is completely subjective. I vastly prefer the English version of TTGL but a lot of that is because that's how I'm used to it. It's the same the other way around for a lot of people.

I just don't like it when people shit up the thread with dub whining when most of the time, they didn't give it a chance.

Raxus

"not as good as the original" is completely subjective. I vastly prefer the English version of TTGL but a lot of that is because that's how I'm used to it. It's the same the other way around for a lot of people.

I just don't like it when people shit up the thread with dub whining when most of the time, they didn't give it a chance.

Much like most drive by posts, if you ask them to explain their opinion 99% of the time you can blow over their strong man arguments. I know I can come in like a hurricane if someone shit talks shows I like since I think I can reasonably explain why I like particular shows.

That said it is becoming harder and harder not to recommend dubs over subs since you can actually focus on the animation and action of a series instead of reading subtitles.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Those people usually are drowned out or change their mind a few episodes in. There was one OP dub hater that lasted quite awhile though...

The Dandy ones in particular were a strange lot considering no one had a history with the sub at that point.

As far as Yoko unclephil'ing. Apart from the obvious it should cool down after the first episode (I hope). I usually play unclephil and waifus for laughs but I can see it getting annoying when it happens in stereo. The sarcasm is lost on others as well.

i don't really have an issue with a few quips here and there, but when it becomes prevalent like it did during Gurren Lagann it gets pretty annoying.

well, all of it's subjective really. i just find it a little silly to put the show in the same camp as some legitimately bad dubs for this particular reason.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Overall, I don't mind the dub despite watching the sub first (I usually prefer the version that I'm exposed to first), but if there's one thing I didn't like, it's that the name of one attack was 1 syllable shorter. Not really a spoiler, but again, because I don't want to hint too much for those who haven't seen it,
"Giga Drill Breaker" sounds so much better than "Giga Drill Break".

Non-spoiler version: No "er" at the end of an attack in the dub, which sounds weird.

ftr I think Kamina sounds appropriately campy based on his mannerisms and personality, though of course I have no frame of reference to compare to his JPN voice.

Kamina is always camp, it's just that his JPN voice is deeper, which I think helps sell the camp.

That said - I had my concerns, but really, the only issue I had was some of the yelling, which I regularly find to be very hit or miss for a lot of English VAs. I can live with this Kamina.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Shit putting aside Bleach's special case are there any bad dubs on Nu TOONAMI besides GXP?

Beware the Batman is technically dubbed into English, I suppose.

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 30:

This may not have been the best episode to watch coming off of watching an episode of Nozaki-Kun as I am pretty sure the "relationships" presented in this episode are exactly the type that this series is mocking with such fervor. Well, at the very least, the shallow and desperate looking for love that Mako and Usagi present. Really though the actual core of this episode is surprisingly on Motoki. Well, this is still the first season in which side character could get a focus episode. Anyway, in between the tedious antics of the middle school girls, and as aside, thank for reminding me that Mamoru is technically a sex offender. I will never understand why they made him a college student in this incarnation. Anyway, Motoki much more adult struggles with his actual girlfriend are about a thousand times more compelling then the wacky antics of the scouts. Overall, another alright episode with thumbs leaning towards the down. Watch it if you want but you are not missing much here.

Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 31:

On the one hand, the rainbow crystal arc is starting to creak and crack over the weight of formula but on the other hand after the dour Sailor Moon Crystal I am much more appreciative the manic comedy of the first series. That being said this episode is notable for introducing useless lump of unkempt hair Yūichirō Kumada as a potential love interest for Rei. It is also nice to see her Grandfather return. Not much else to say really. Yet another alright episode in a series of them.

Yuchiro hate? That's almost as bad as giving these episodes the wrong episode number, which you did.

Also, all side character focus is dead by Stars, what a shame.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Shit putting aside Bleach's special case are there any bad dubs on Nu TOONAMI besides GXP?

Beware the Batman is technically dubbed into English, I suppose.

Nah, Toonami's been pretty good about picking up shows with good dubs. That said most dubs done these days are excellent. It's not like it was even 10 years ago when you were lucky if a dub was well done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom