• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug14| Melodrama Marathon

Status
Not open for further replies.
SAO is too hilarious of a show to not watch it more then once both subbed and dubbed

Also I really want Akame Ga Kill to air on Toonami, this is such a Toonami/Adult Swim show it's crazy

Two episodes in and I've already laughed my ass off like a maniac. I really hope this comes to toonami again, it did well in the ratings and proved to be a fun hate watch. I won't mind double dipping.

daveo42

Banned
Didn't like Xenoblade Chronicles at all by the time I finished it.

I own it, but haven't touched it in over a month. Felt really bogged down by all of the side quests, though I feel an obligation to complete them even if they aren't essential to the main story.

Pretty awesome Shulk will be in the new Smash game and we'll have a ton of characters to choose from. Looking forward to it.

Jarate

Banned
Yeah, I don't like having the computer control my other characters. I can deal with it in Secret of Mana, but that game has some of the best rpg action mechanics ive ever played with making it a wee bit more bearable.

Xenoblade couldnt grip me like FF12 couldnt grip me. I can appreciate the games, but man, i hate losing control of characters

Squalor

I own it, but haven't touched it in over a month. Felt really bogged down by all of the side quests, though I feel an obligation to complete them even if they aren't essential to the main story.
Honestly, the game isn't even particularly difficult throughout, so there is no necessity to complete the side quests, which are a complete drag on the gameplay and game mechanics.

Also, in case you were wondering if the side quests flesh out the poorly developed characters more, the answer is no.

My biggest problem with the game was the complete dearth of actual character development and the fact that the plot completely falls apart in the last third of the game. It felt as though Monolith had just given up.

So many checked off cliché boxes, it was ridiculous.

daveo42

Banned
Xenoblade couldnt grip me like FF12 couldnt grip me. I can appreciate the games, but man, i hate losing control of characters

I just hate AI-controlled party members in general. It's why I miss more traditional RPGs. Action RPGs can be okay, but they tend to lack the level of control I crave in the combat system. FFXII had a pretty awesome system using gambits and programing your own AI, but I didn't like it because it felt way too much like FFXI for me to enjoy it.

Crocodile

A) I don't know how someone can think Captain Murphy > Kickheart. Y'all are CRAZY!

B) How do you imbed an image into a tweet? Posting the link is clearly not enough

C) OMG SMASH LEAKS!!!!!!!!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
SHULK IN SMASH?!?!

MWtDYTH.gif

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I just hate AI-controlled party members in general. It's why I miss more traditional RPGs. Action RPGs can be okay, but they tend to lack the level of control I crave in the combat system. FFXII had a pretty awesome system using gambits and programing your own AI, but I didn't like it because it felt way too much like FFXI for me to enjoy it.

Xenoblade basically lets you program your own AI too. Not to the specificity of FFXII's gambits, of course, but you still get to choose the abilities your AI allies have. Plus you also have control over the party by issuing orders in battle, and then of course there are the combo attacks. So really the only thing you don't have control over is the menial shit of attacking over and over. Never really understood that complaint, at least when it comes to Xenoblade. Xenoblade's AI does a great job of controlling every character except for Melia.

Anyway, the most important thing about Shulk being playable is Xenoblade stages. And music (but we already knew about that because ACE was included on the soundtrack roster). A Reyn assist trophy would make it perfect.

I just want Smash 4 to be popular with the competitive scene. Melee is great and all, but it's time to move on in my opinion. Nintendo really should have talked to some of the top pro players for input.

Jarate

Banned
I just want Smash 4 to be popular with the competitive scene. Melee is great and all, but it's time to move on in my opinion. Nintendo really should have talked to some of the top pro players for input.

Ive got a funny feeling that Melee is going to be the 1.6 of Smash

where no matter what you do, you'll never be able to please those fans.

Seda

For whatever reason, I'm pretty apathetic towards Smash Bros at the moment.

My only Wii U game, still, is Wind Waker.

Squalor

How long have you had it, the Wii U?

I just don't see the Wii U's moving that many new units. I feel as though that the majority of the people who are going to buy the game already have the system.

Jarate

Banned
How long have you had it, the Wii U?

I just don't see the Wii U's moving that many new units. I feel as though that the majority of the people who are going to buy the game already have the system.

never doubt the power of a smash release, but I think most people will just opt with the 3ds.

Smash is absolutely huge in the casual crowd, and especially with the 3ds version, where going to see it sell a lot. I think the Wii U version will sell still, but I think its being hurt by the 3ds release

Mario 3D World is absolutely worth playing. It's the best game of current gen

Squalor

People are still thinking Nintendo can pull out its glory days.

People thought Kart 8 would push units. It didn't really.

Smash isn't going to, either. Smash sold so well last generation because everyone and their mother already had a Wii.

Battlechili

Banned
Looking forward to Hellsing Ultimate.
I'll definitely make sure to stay up well into the night watching Toonami once it starts airing.

Oh and hi! I actually have been lurking in these threads off and on for about a year now. Finally got my account validated. I love all the talk about the shows as they air.
If Wii U turns into GCN 2.0 that's amazing for us fans, just not Nintendo's bank account.

Its a shame Nintendo has had such a poor time selling some of its consoles. So many good games wind up on them.
Really excited for Xenoblade Chronicles X down the road.

Jarate

Banned
I only hat to wait like 2-3 weeks for my account to be validated

but before those few weeks I lurked the Rock Banned thread like mad.

But welcome to the community bro

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If Wii U turns into GCN 2.0 that's amazing for us fans, just not Nintendo's bank account.

Eventually the lineup of exclusives will make people dip, it's just a matter of which one breaks the camel's back. It won't sell Wii numbers, but it can do better than it is now. I think the main problem is it's hard to sell people on off-TV play, which is the best thing ever, without giving them a console to take home and try it out themselves.

Squalor

Eventually the lineup of exclusives will make people dip, it's just a matter of which one breaks the camel's back. It won't sell Wii numbers, but it can do better than it is now. I think the main problem is it's hard to sell people on off-TV play, which is the best thing ever, without giving them a console to take home and try it out themselves.
I don't like the Wii U's remote play because the range is awful.

People have been saying 'Eventually ______ will make people buy a Wii U' for years now, it's just not gonna happen man. Wii U will sell GCN levels (~22M) by the end of its lifetime if Nintendo gets lucky. They caught lightning in a bottle with the Wii but completely botched their successor with dumb decisions. Overpricing, split SKUs, terrible branding, bad advertising, the gamepad....I could go on. Nintendo isn't going to reach across the aisle to bring in casual fans with the Wii U and your typical high school/college male is going to pick up an Xbox One or PS4 to play Madden/Call of Duty/Destiny/NBA 2K/Assassins Creed.

bigkrev

I still don't think Smash is out this year on WiiU. That said, the 3DS version will sell gangbusters, and I will probably buy it, even though I don't really like Smash

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
People have been saying 'Eventually ______ will make people buy a Wii U' for years now, it's just not gonna happen man. Wii U will sell GCN levels (~22M) by the end of its lifetime if Nintendo gets lucky. They caught lightning in a bottle with the Wii but completely botched their successor with dumb decisions. Overpricing, split SKUs, terrible branding, bad advertising, the gamepad....I could go on. Nintendo isn't going to reach across the aisle to bring in casual fans with the Wii U and your typical high school/college male is going to pick up an Xbox One or PS4 to play Madden/Call of Duty/Destiny/NBA 2K/Assassins Creed.

I never said it's going to be a run away success, just that it'll do better than it's doing now.

Squalor

I never said it's going to be a run away success, just that it'll do better than it's doing now.
It's pretty damn hard to do worse than it's doing now.

Of course it'll boost sales slightly, but like Kart, it won't be too significant, and it won't last long.

And I was never under the impression that you said it was going to be a runaway success. All I did was point out that people have been saying '__________ will save Wii U!!!' for years when in reality they should hope the system does GCN numbers. I mean, obviously the Wii U can do better than it is now, but that isn't saying much. Yeah, it'll sell more units, but if you think any game at this point is going to give the console more than a temporary bump, you're wrong.

EDIT: And by 'you' I don't mean yourself, that was a general statement towards Nintendo fans

LOLDSFAN

People are still thinking Nintendo can pull out its glory days.

People thought Kart 8 would push units. It didn't really.

Smash isn't going to, either. Smash sold so well last generation because everyone and their mother already had a Wii.

Hardly anyone is saying Nintendo can go back to its glory days (Wii sales) with the Wii U.

Mario Kart 8 did push units. Twice as many Wii U units were sold in July this year compared to last year.

Smash will most likely push units too.

It's not going to compete with the PS4 or Xbone but it will be enough to get by for another go next generation.

Squalor

Hardly anyone is saying Nintendo can go back to its glory days (Wii sales) with the Wii U.

Mario Kart 8 did push units. Twice as many Wii U units were sold in July this year compared to last year.

Smash will most likely push units too.

It's not going to compete with the PS4 or Xbone but it will be enough to get by for another go next generation.
The Wii U sold 80,000 in July. That's fucking terrible.

Kart pushed a few consoles in June when the Wii broke 100,000.

Obviously that push didn't last.

Raxus

Man the terrible anime thread made me realize two things.

1) I am really in the mood for a hatewatch anime that isn't SAO II and won't likely air on Toonami
2) I didn't realize Gundam Build Fighters and Log Horizon Season 2 were so close!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Ubisoft is already dropping support for mature titles after Watch_Dogs releases.

I expect others will follow suit.

More like they were the last ones.

Disney Infinity, Just Dance, Sonic, Skylanders, games of that ilk are all you should expect from third parties for the rest of the console's life. Anything else is either indy or a really nice surprise.

On the other topic Xenoblade is a game I absolutely fell in love with. FF XII actually soured me on the idea of a single player MMO with AI companions but Xenoblade did it so damn well. I love everything about the game.

I'm fine with the Smash leak roster. I just thought it was fake because of Dark Pit being a separate character and the leaker doing that classic douchey fake leaker thing of having every screenshot be off center or obscured somehow.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's...not out of the realm of possibility.

It would also be my fifth time through the game. I average around 120 hours each playthrough.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Man the terrible anime thread made me realize two things.

1) I am really in the mood for a hatewatch anime that isn't SAO II and won't likely air on Toonami
2) I didn't realize Gundam Build Fighters and Log Horizon Season 2 were so close!
I was honestly expecting a WHOLE lot worse when I saw the title....Ikki Tousen was nowhere near what I was thinking the thread was gonna be about.

I mean, yeah, it's bad & amazing that it's gotten as many seasons as it has (then again, fanservice sells), but I think it was just an intro to "sexier" anime for some teenagers back in the day. Though I'll stop there before unclephil.jpeg starts appearing during the discussion.

I was half expecting something like Garzey's Wing HD/Remastered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom