• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug14| Melodrama Marathon

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

Why was it terrible?

The matches were terrible (there was a 20 minute long comedy match that killed the crowd in the second slot, to the point where up till the main event people were chanting "Save the show!"), the card was not as advertised (like 5 people no-showed), the show was a total botch fest, ect. I've been to a bunch of CZW shows and always had fun, but man it sucked tonight.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I'll probably be around only for Space Dandy becasue the thought of watching 12 AoT episodes is already putting me to sleep.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The matches were terrible (there was a 20 minute long comedy match that killed the crowd in the second slot, to the point where up till the main event people were chanting "Save the show!"), the card was not as advertised (like 5 people no-showed), the show was a total botch fest, ect. I've been to a bunch of CZW shows and always had fun, but man it sucked tonight.

JEEEEEEEEEZSUS.

Last night was great. BtB was the only thing last night I'd actually call bad. Bleach was hilarious, Shippuden had Ino and my boy Yamato, Clone Wars killed off the worst character and frankly had some impressive (and disturbing) CGI. FMA:B had their crazy recap episode, Cowboy Bebop had its second best episode. Jack had AKU! TTGL was great, always loved this episode. One Piece had it going on, Naruto Uncut killed JYB and Space Dandy was insane.

ckohler

Attack on Titan - Not bad but mostly boring. Too much exposition and forced tension. The scene where 90% of the cadets walked out in fear of graduating really strains logic. What did they expect, a desk job?! I didn’t really mind the music as unexpected as it was. Annie continues to be the most realistic and believable character of the cast. Overall, I want to see titans in my show about titans.

Bleach - One of the better Bleach episodes in a while for two reasons: the training has ended and it was filled with Riruka. Oh Riruka, you’re just so enjoyable to watch as you snoop around town pretending you don’t care when you really do. :) She’s like the only heart beating in this show anymore. Everyone else is just talking in monotones and going through the paces. The big bad has zero charisma and his power is just confusing. Chad is just awful to listen to. Orihime isn’t as bad but it’s hard to connect with a character written to be so deliberately naive.

Captain Murphy - Sorry DeMarco, I didn’t like it. It wasn’t as offensive as KingStarKing but it just wasn’t entertaining either. Why should I care about a bunch of teens waxing poetic about some mythical bearded dude who ultimately melts their faces? It wasn’t that cool. It wasn’t that funny. It just sorta was. I kinda feel bad because I bet DeMarco worked hard on that and was probably proud of the result. :/

Space Dandy - Beautiful. Magical. Mind boggling. That last 10 minutes was amazing. I’m still not entirely sure what transpired but it was wonderfully artistic and lyrical the entire way through. It also ended on a happy note with the planet restoring Dandy to another dimension and the planet getting to keep a copy(?) of him for herself. Was this just another odd planet or did we just witness the afterlife? So many questions that ultimately don’t matter. Because this is Dandy, after all.

Naruto: Shippuden - Not a good episode, I’m afraid. Just too much exposition mostly delivered in a room while sitting on couches. The new pale ninja kid looks like he’ll be a real douchebag while the guy with the head-gear seems nice enough. When Brock’s grandma and Jett showed up and started to yell at Lady Tsunade, I was just shaking my head. She’s the damn Hokage so shut your dumb, old faces!

One Piece - Another great episode in a streak of great episodes! The Enies Lobby arc has been consistently awesome so far. It’s got a ton of action, a ton of good comedy and lots of interesting characters. The dog police are kind of lame but that’s a minor quibble. The best moment was Spandam’s creepy as hell “why are you talking?” gaze over at Robin before punching her to the ground. Up until now he was mostly a comedic character but now he’s crossed over into just pure evil. I can’t wait for Luffy to destroy him.

Gurren Lagann - The crew makes it to Littner Village where they meet its friendly leader Dayakka and flamboyant genius mechanic Leeron voiced by none other than TOM himself! I continue to really enjoy the reactions. :) There was a bit of hinting, Yoko age talk and “see moan” complaints but not as bad as last week. Hopefully that dies down completely. The OP and ED cuts were expected and in typical Aniplex fashion, done pretty well. Too bad we now have to wait two weeks until the next episode. Things are just getting started.

Beware the Batman - This show just isn’t good. Batman is emo because his life-partner Alfred left him. For a moment, I thought they were going to introduce Amanda Waller but it turned out to just be the Mayor of Gotham. What else can I say? The Batmobile got stuck in traffic. Ponder that for a moment. Also, why is Anarchy Batman’s equal both in intelligence and fighting? Just where the hell did Anarchy come from that he would be Batman’s equal in any scenario?!

Black Lagoon - A pretty good episode but I have to admit, the first half was exposition heavy. However, all of that was redeemed with the scene between Rock and Balalaika. That was some seriously intense shit! I love how Rock doesn’t put up with shit even in the face of monsters like Balalaika. So good. It looks like he’s finally accepted his new life. It also seems Revy has truly accepted Rock as an equal.

Naruto - A good episode since it doesn’t focus on Team Kakashi. Garra is pure evil and it’s hard to believe he’s ever considered a good guy. Pretty badass to witness his madness none-the-less. Wait, there are VCRs too? Naruto World is confusing as hell. I never know what does and doesn’t exist.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - One of the better recap episodes out there. Good editing of many episodes together, especially the part when it deals with the mystery of the human sacrifices. All of this is set around a nicely animated dark dream Hohenheim is having. New OPs and EDs this week too which are both great but very short.

That's all I saw before sleep. Overall, a pretty great week! I plan to watch at least the first few episodes of the marathon next week.

I don't really post here as Space Dandy is the only anime I watch in Toonami (the rest I have seen before, own, or watch via Crunchy/Funi) but this episode of Space Dandy deserves it. So I copied what I wrote in the anime thread to get people to watch it:

Space Dandy 21
pMw9Ch4.png

Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
- Psalm 23:4

As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I take a look at my life and realize there's nothing left
-Coolio

Doesn't matter where I go. Whether I'm alive or dead, I'm still pretty Dandy
-Space Dandy

So this might be my favorite episode of Dandy, solely on the visual aspect. And I gotta be honest, it might be my favorite 'mindfuck' episode of Dandy as well. I still don't entirely get what was going on but at face value on first watch looks like
Dandy is entering a planet through a nebula when a sudden movement makes him trip, hit his head on the dashboard and enter limbo/death. That takes him to the planet's surface, filled with 'inhabitants' that are all dead. Most of these are aware of their death and even though they have no sadness they discuss, in a very existentialist fashion, the futility of life if it only leads to death and whether acceptance is realistic.Then Dandy meets the personification of the planet, a lonely girl, who may have discovered that Dandy is special (similar to his special status for the war), and knows that the one she was looking for is Dandy. Dandy claims that she's a beautiful planet and she claims that she can restore him to another dimension

Anybody who has seen the episode who knows what happened at the end care to explain?
Did she not send Dandy back? Or was there a special meaning to him coming back all suited up to meet her again?

But enough about plot discussions, the episode was filled with incredibly relaxing music, and beautiful visuals. One instance of music in particular I loved, with the angel playing the shamisen, her music was evocative to that of Spaghetti westerns which makes complete sense as the particular scene was in a desert and involved a chase. Fucking beautiful.

Whether they were done on purpose or not, I couldn't help but notice some similarities in images in the show and other images in popular stories/mtythologies and culture. For instance:
hycgYOe.png
bgl4qei.jpg

Dandy's outfit and boat, to that of the River Styx and Charon its Ferryman

and

OYBpdME.png
8Cm8f10.jpg

The 'Warden' and the monster in Guillermo Del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth

While there's no guarantee these were the allusions they were going for, I found them very similar. I can't stress how beautiful and stylish this episode was, even if you don't watch Space Dandy do yourself a favor and watch it, even if solely on a technical aspect as it's 100% likely I completely missed the message, metaphors and any other deep meanings behind visual cues on what the episode was about. It was that brilliant of an episode. And the music. Oh that music. I want to make love to it, baby.

God damn I need this blu-ray and OST.

Jarate

Banned
Attack on Titan - Attack on Pacing; Let's talk to set up why the squad Erin was in is joining the scouts. But wait, none of these characters are interesting other then like 2, and most of these characters will probably be fodder for titans other then a select few with plot armor. Also, who the fuck was the dude that everyone was being upset over dying. Mr Writer of Attack on Titan, I know you like killing characters, but to pull them off properly, you have to make it so you feel for said character before he dies. This death reminds me of a generic officers death in Dynasty Warriors.
Jarate Gives it 5/10

Bleach - This show is terrible and boring. All the villians are given incredible powers but are super incompetent with said powers. Chad is terrible, Orihime is terrible, and I hate everyone except for Tsun Tsun, but I only like the tsun just because of how poorly written she is.
2/10

Captain Murphy - It was a nice idea ruined by incredibly flat jokes, unfunny shock moments, and a build up to a character who we see is ultimately irrelevant. I guess I gotta wait to see what it's about, but it looks like it's trying real hard. I guess the colors were nice, and I like the design of Captain Murphy. But nothing really happened and it was really boring.
5/10

Space Dandy - HELLS YES. First of all, the art and music were both incredible, and the animation was absolutely astounding. Dandy might be the best animated show for modern anime. The thematic ideas that this show presents are surprisingly deep on some occasions, even though Space Dandy itself is a comedy. Shows how talented everyone involved in is. Next week looks to be another stellar episode too.
9/10

Naruto: Shippuden - I actually really dont remember this episode that much or what happened. That should give you an idea about how poorly paced this show is. Ive heard good things about the dude that wore the kitty mask, and the other dude seems decent I guess. Other then that, I just remember everyone licking naruto's balls the entire episode which gets really grating. I think one thing that led naruto to be a "decent idea' was the idea behind a protagonist not being liked by anyone, but now everyone wants to lick his sac and give him a reacharound, especially considering Naruto is a pretty annoying douchey person who is incredibly irresponsible.
3/10

One Piece - Enies Lobby is one of the best arcs in an awesome show. Im glad people are starting want to hate Spandam and CP9, Oda is really good at making a villian who you just want to punch in the face. Ive already seen all this, but it was a pretty decent episode, but One Piece is a show that progressively gets more and more hype as the arc goes on. This one is a shining example of that
8/10

Gurren Lagann - Episode 2 is a little bit weirder then episode 1, but it still was awesome. Once again, people who are excited for this show, this show gets progressively better as it goes on. You'll start to understand the genius by Season 2, but Season 1 in itself is incredible too. Im just hyped to watch this shit with everyone
8/10

-I fell asleep during Batman, I had a really long night the night before and was really tired. But I will work my ass off to watch all of the titan marathon. We need to come up with some rules for the drinking game. Im thinking every single time Mikasa has to save Eren.

Great

One Piece
Black Lagoon
Gurren Lagann
Space Dandy
Cowboy Bebop

Good

Uncut Naruto
Fma:B
Samurai Jack

Okay

Bleach
Attack on Titan

Bad

Shippuden

Almost as awful as kickheart tier

Beware the batman
Captain murphy

Man God

Non-Canon Member
No Clone Wars, Bass?

Was I the only one who liked it? Well beyond the space babes which a couple of people liked.

The animation was great, the dialogue was snappy, the story wasn't bad and they KILLED ZIRO THE HUTT.

No Clone Wars, Bass?

Was I the only one who liked it? Well beyond the space babes which a couple of people liked.

The animation was great, the dialogue was snappy, the story wasn't bad and they KILLED ZIRO THE HUTT.

Clone wars was almost as awful as kickheart tier this week

Gorillaz

so

only one Black Lagoon episode left, then?
Hellsing

Maybe Demarco might announce the ova at some point. Stretch it out to an hour maybe, so it could fit in at hellsing spot after its done and powder in commercials

We got an extra week till it so at least there is that. Im gonna miss the htown countdown doe

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Welp, friend now doesn't know if he has to work the night of the AoT marathon now. Have to wait & see if he'll be able to come over to watch the series (despite saying he didn't like the dub of the first two episodes).

.......can I still get something if I marathon the episodes by myself?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
No need to cry, friend. Plenty of Beware the Batman left.

cBN2bl9.png

Welp, friend now doesn't know if he has to work the night of the AoT marathon now. Have to wait & see if he'll be able to come over to watch the series (despite saying he didn't like the dub of the first two episodes).

.......can I still get something if I marathon the episodes by myself?

Not unless you're into masochism.

:lol

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So is anyone actually planning to stay up and watch the attack on titan marathon?
Unless I get something out of it (I like Gucci's idea of a tag), I'll probably only watch about 1/2 of it. Maybe right before the rock moving arc.

Gotta wait until Thursday or Friday to see if my friend's coming over to watch it, because if he does, then I'll endure the marathon.

christine-daaeayyy-how-u-doin

Funimation? More like… you know what I’m not even going to try and make a pun. Funimation in not fun. It sucks. They cut out half of the show if it is gory or puts ridiculous blurs over the things they can’t crop. Not to mention if a show drops the F bomb they change it to damn or crap. In short, Funimation is not fun. It takes all of the blood and profanity out, the two funnest things about anime. Funimation? More like Crumbymation? Cruddymation? GoddamnitFunimationIWantedToSeeThatGuyGetHisIntestinesBrutallyTornOutOfHisAbdomenmation?

ioCRZuZNacBmh.gif

redhood56

Banned
I wanted to see if Gurren Lagann was on blu ray because I want to watch more. The only blu ray I can find of it was the box set for $600. Holy fuck.

Takashi

I might.

At least I'll have something to finally get me to stay for the tail end of the block (rip inuyasha). Despite its issues I still find AoT enjoyable, and having consecutive episodes will make its bad pacing less noticeable. Maybe.

drinking game sounds fun tho

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I wanted to see if Gurren Lagann was on blu ray because I want to watch more. The only blu ray I can find of it was the box set for $600. Holy fuck.

Aniplex hates our guts, which is why we constantly pray they don't get HxH. Imagine how much a +100 episode series would cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom