• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug14| Melodrama Marathon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I already fear how much Kill la Kill is gonna cost. Think part of the main problem is that while it's sometimes nice to get extra stuff, at least OFFER the option for just the Blu-ray/DVD without the extra content.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I already fear how much Kill la Kill is gonna cost. Think part of the main problem is that while it's sometimes nice to get extra stuff, at least OFFER the option for just the Blu-ray/DVD without the extra content.

That's got nothing to do with how Aniplex prices their stuff. They're just greedy, they see people in Japan willing to pay those prices so they figure we must be as well.

daveo42

Banned
So is anyone actually planning to stay up and watch the attack on titan marathon?

I already did a 13 episode marathon last year for AoT. I don't feel like doing another marathon just for that show. I might pop in at point during it though just to see if anyone else is on.

You don't need to sell a lot of copies at those prices to make a profit. Aniplex and sentai are less likely to lose money on a series then Funimation or Viz where both had popular series they gave up on due to low sales (conan and monster)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
You don't need to sell a lot of copies at those prices to make a profit. Aniplex and sentai are less likely to lose money on a series then Funimation or Viz where both had popular series they gave up on due to low sales (conan and monster)

Conan's problem was partly the dub. It was one of those so-so dubs before good dubs became commonplace. Were they to do a redub, with better quality, and maybe cut the filler then it would probably do well.

I'll be around next weekend but I don't see myself watching more than 2 or 3 episodes of Titan, really wish we had gotten a movie instead of this marathon.

Crocodile

Conan's problem was partly the dub. It was one of those so-so dubs before good dubs became commonplace. Were they to do a redub, with better quality, and maybe cut the filler then it would probably do well.

I disagree, the dub was fine. The problem was that it was a show made to be on primetime but no network is going to give a primetime slot to an import and the subject matter (murder on the regular) makes it a tricky sell. The shows stars kids but its hard to sell to kids/families in America. It's not hardcore in the least but it isn't exactly Scooby Doo. To compound that, it was/is an odd fit on new Toonami/Adult Swim which are filled with shonen imports, a few actually dark cartoons and a lot of adult humour - its going to be a hard sell to those who love Bleach and/or Family Guy and little else.

bigkrev

I disagree, the dub was fine. The problem was that it was a show made to be on primetime but no network is going to give a primetime slot to an import and the subject matter (murder on the regular) makes it a tricky sell. The shows stars kids but its hard to sell to kids/families in America. It's not hardcore in the least but it isn't exactly Scooby Doo. To compound that, it was/is an odd fit on new Toonami/Adult Swim which are filled with shonen imports, a few actually dark cartoons and a lot of adult humour - its going to be a hard sell to those who love Bleach and/or Family Guy and little else.

Yeah. I would probably pick someone less "annoying" to voice Conan, but otherwise the dub is fine.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

The voices were fine, it was more the localization. They treated it like a kids show in that regard, god-forbid something be set in Japan. It needed to be treated like animated law and order, which is basically what it is, not a kid's show. The staggering amount of filler doesn't help either, with filler it's 120 episodes until the main plot gets kicked into overdrive without it's only 45-60. Which is basically how long it takes One Piece to get amazing.

All that said it has a few of the best stretches of episodes in anything ever and some of the best specials as well. It could do very well once the plot finds it's footing, the problem is getting to that point. If Funi ever decides to pick it up again they need to cut the filler and treat it like they're lost episodes or something, like how BBC America treats Top Gear prior to season 8 or older episodes of Doctor Who.

BBboy20

"my powers aren't that strong"

TadkV.gif
I literally yelled out "WHO WROTE THAT LINE!?" Seriously, does Steph Sheh even know her character is God? I just...ugh.

This song...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9_p-nhZXLg

No matter what, I can never look away from Bebop from time to time, especially with episodes like that.

Must be the work of the Stand "Money for Nothing"
Was Dire Straits ever referenced in all of Jojo?

Yeah, two weeks from now, when Black Lagoon is over, I and those exposed to BL for the first time really should just start investing in the manga at this point if you haven't already (or least watch Blood Trail). Anyone really gonna' drink some Bacardi in the show's honor? I think I'm going to do that.

May as well just watch Gurren Lagann fully again as I haven't seen it since 2008 on Sci-Fi and that it's one of the best animes of all time as these two weeks have reminded me of such. Also, that's what those commercial break images are called? All these years and I never knew.

I am really curious on how censored Hellsing is going to be considering that gif...yikes! Also: why are they airing two episodes every week? One Piece seems like it would need that.

Man, that could have been a series finale if it was for Samuarai Jack. Such a beastly battle.

Guess I never thought too much about continutiy for Space Dandy since...
well, never cared for it so it's probably why this being the answer to everyone coming back to life flew over my head...and yeah, I never figured everyone was dead until Kyle Hebert's character straight-up told him that. What is worst is that I still didn't catch the Fallen Angel church when watching that Bebop episode later on. -_-

So, Nami proves why she's a Straw Hat herself.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm hanging out with a friend either Friday or Saturday, though I might have to fix the tierod on my car instead. If it's Friday or my wings are clipped I'll be here. Posting alone it seems after Dandy.

SAO is too hilarious of a show to not watch it more then once both subbed and dubbed

Also I really want Akame Ga Kill to air on Toonami, this is such a Toonami/Adult Swim show it's crazy

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's more fun to talk about it fresh on TOONAMI night. I'm sure I could watch it real time when the sub goes up and join a thread about it but its not the same. Also no Smallberries or Bride of Satan.

Moaradin

Also I really want Akame Ga Kill to air on Toonami, this is such a Toonami/Adult Swim show it's crazy

I'm really enjoying it right now. Some people have a problem with the light-hearted to grim dark tonal shifts, but it really works for me. I might get into the manga once the anime is over.

Zero3K

I am really curious on how censored Hellsing is going to be considering that gif...yikes! Also: why are they airing two episodes every week? One Piece seems like it would need that..

The one hour dedicated to it is actually one episode, not two.

Raxus

Review time!

Attack on Titan
We meet up with the rest of the cast as we transition into the next major arc. Marco seemed to be haunting the episode. I think the drama worked...at first until they kept driving the point home and then it became silly. It is one thing to lose someone from the 'top 10' but he wasn't a major character. Meh episode overall. Jean is still a bitch.

Bleach
It is depressing we are so close to the finale and we still haven't reached the end game. Facebook's powers are stupid, he knocked out Chad and Orihime because he invaded their memories? Orihime and Chad are idiots and I am amazed they actually did something (only to find out it was filler -_-). Aside from that there wasn't too much to be offended by. Ichigo's costume still looks dumb as hell

Space Dandy
Finally, the first hit of the night. At first I figured it was a weird episode so I would just sit back and enjoy the gorgeous art but that ending hit me like a truck. This episode demands reviewing and it may even explain the Dandy's apparent deaths in other episodes. Freaky, beautiful, kind of sad. Best episode of the night.

Naruto Shippuden
As much as I harp on the series at least this episode introduced several major players. Sure it was slow as molasses and that is apparently going to be this arcs pace but at least something happened. Up there with Bleach in blandness bordering on bad.

One Piece
Talk about a shot in the arm, we see the power of the perfect Clima Tact and Granny buying time for the storm clouds to move in was kind of funny. Soge King had a couple great moments getting on the Yagata and losing his mask. Luffy continues to mow down marines with his deep skill set of rubber moves. Spandam makes for such a great villain. He is just such an asshole. Great animation on his crazy face as well. If I have my episodes correct then we have a major fight starting next episode. Good episode overall.

TTGL

Now we met the main characters we now begin to meet the rest of the cast starting with Leeron who is one of my favorite characters. The way they animate him is so funny/unsettling as he tries to bait a reaction out of Kamina. Kamina gets shit on yet again as he learns the fate of his father who played a large part in why he wanted to go to the surface, however we will have to wait for next episode to see how that pans out. That curveball was amazing. Even after the premiere the baseline for animation in these episodes is amazing.

Beware the Dumbass

Things happened in this episode because they had to move the plot in a particular direction instead of anything that made sense for the characters. Harvey Dent has a hard on for capturing batman even AFTER he has a bomb strapped to his wrist. Batman kidnaps Dent to lure out the culprit AND IT WORKS SOMEHOW. Katana often shows she is more capable than Batman. Batman is acting like a bigger bitch than usual because Alfred left him. Awful, just awful. I would have dropped this series ages ago if I didn't feel like I had an obligation to watch it. This episode literally sapped the energy from my body.

Black Lagoon
I give this episode a D. For depressing. It is nice Rock gets to show his big balls again but the ball is in his court as the Washimine clan makes a last stand against the Captain. Some great moments between Rock and Revy as they lament their fate. Not as hard hitting or amazing as last week's episode but great none the less. Hi Dutch and Benny.

Star Wars: Clone Wars.

First Half:

I learned a little to much from the overgrown slugs called the hut clan and the lover....ugh, stuff of nightmares. Zero was annoying as shit, good riddance...unless they time skip back again...bleh.
Second half was actually quite entertaining with a well animated all out brawl between the Jedi and Cad Bane. It reinforces my theory that when Clone Wars focuses on the Jedi episodes tend to have a saving grace. First half was god awful but the second half redeemed it so I figured I'd drop this in the average category.

Samurai Jack
Forgive me if I go too easy on Jack but I know this series follows no overarching plot so I tend to be more forgiving and just sit back and see if I enjoy the action and humor. That said I thought this episode was pretty great. It is nice to see Aku enter the frey again. Seeing Jack roundhouse kick zombies' heads off was great and the chase between him and Aku was actually pretty intense for me. I thought the sword gag was pretty funny as well.

Rankings Time!

Great
Space Dandy
Black Lagoon
Samurai Jack
TTGL
One Piece

Okay
Attack on Titan
Star War: Clone Wars
Shippuden
Bleach

Awful:
Beware the Imbecile

Captain Murphy

Captain Murphy

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 31:

Well, I will say this episode did make we laugh at a few points, so it wasn't a total waste. This was still one of the worst episodes of the first season, the Rainbow Crystal arc has been running on fumes as it was but this felt like they had just run out of ideas for the finale of this leg. Watching Luna get into wacky misunderstandings with the ugliest cat in the world lost its charms quickly and Zoicite descended to the competence level of Team Rocket. I suppose we are about to hit another big and dramatic changeover if they are presenting an episode this broadly comedic. Also, something that I hadn't noticed until I started watching these old episode, Anime doesn't seem to use the giant sweat drop anymore, how very curious. Recommendation to avoid.

Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 32:

Okay, this episode is a bit of a quagmire as the story materials are much more important then the last few episodes of rote gem retrieval. Indeed, we get the origins of Luna and some more bits on her mission and a important portent about the near future. With the great monster portion of the arc completed Zoicite gains new powers and the factional warfare continues. Right, I suppose there is no beating around the bush Tuxedo Umino Mask was downright horrible save for the 30 or so seconds he actually stepped up to be some sort of heroish figure. Just a cringe-worthy spectacle that was draped around extreme desperation that became sheer agony to watch. Middling recommendation to watch but have your fast forward button ready.

Bleach
It is depressing we are so close to the finale and we still haven't reached the end game. Facebook's powers are stupid, he knocked out Chad and Orihime because he invaded their memories? Orihime and Chad are idiots and I am amazed they actually did something (only to find out it was filler -_-). Aside from that there wasn't too much to be offended by. Ichigo's costume still looks dumb as hell

I don't think Tsukishima's fullbring is stupid. It's actually a unique power that we haven't seen before in the Bleach universe and makes complete sense if you think about it. Instead of just having a dick waving power up, book end inserts Tsukishima into the past of whomever he cuts, making them believe that he is a close friend or family member. Tsukishima then has the ability to alter his victims memories; however, if they notice any inconsistencies, they are at risk for a mental collapse like we've seen with Orihime. He kills by destroying your mind, not DBZ power level bs.

Also, people aren't the only things he can cut, but I won't go into that because it would spoil things.

I'm kind of curious what they're going to do on a couple of the longer episodes. I think there's one that runs 68 minutes.

Maybe they'll just air Kick-Heart.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Raxus

I've had enough Kick-Heart for a lifetime, would rather watch Captain Murphy again

He doesn't speak for all of us Demarco.

I guess I am being too harsh on Bleach. It is nice Kubo at least tried to put in an interesting power in the universe but I still find the mental collapse thing incredibly stupid. If there was the added effect that they forgot he cut them then it would be a pretty crazy power. As it stands (no pun intended) it just leaves the victim with opposing views of him as an enemy and a friend but knowing they were cut recently by their 'friend' I would think they would fight him anyway.

That is my long winded nitpick.

He doesn't speak for all of us Demarco.

I guess I am being too harsh on Bleach. It is nice Kubo at least tried to put in an interesting power in the universe but I still find the mental collapse thing incredibly stupid. If there was the added effect that they forgot he cut them then it would be a pretty crazy power. As it stands (no pun intended) it just leaves the victim with opposing views of him as an enemy and a friend but knowing they were cut recently by their 'friend' I would think they would fight him anyway.

That is my long winded nitpick.

You keep calling book end stupid but I'm not seeing how it's illogical or an ass pull. Bleach has a lot of things you can complain about, but this just seems like griping. I mean, on one hand you say it's nice that Kubo tried to do something different instead of just making an overpowered villain that pushes Ichigo to become stronger (AKA DBZ syndrome) but then you call it dumb. Tsukishima has revealed two abilities about his sword thus far:

1. It can cut flesh like a normal blade, causing physical pain

2. It can cut a victim and insert Tsukishima into their past. This gives him the ability to alter their memories on the fly; usually he makes the person believe he has been a lifelong friend or family member. However, if the victim starts to notice any inconsistencies, the resulting mental strain will shatter their mind

Tsukishima decides whether or not the victim remembers getting stabbed, that isn't a plot hole. He let Chad and Orihime recall that event to mess with their minds, he's kind of sadistic like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom