• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug14| Melodrama Marathon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
MmMAD7F.gif

everything people say about Evangelion makes me not want to watch Evangelion

Honestly it's a classic that should be aired by everyone who enjoyed anime blemishes and all. Also as someone who's suffered from severe anxiety and attempted suicide due to them in the past, I really related to some of the later scenes in the series and think it's a really good glimpse into the mind of someone suffering from anxiety.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The fact that Eva still sparks this kind of emotion and debate 20 years later should show you that quality aside, its place a an anime classic is much less up for debate.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
no lies there. Especially imperfect cell, that dude goes from L to L and had to beg to get his powerup. 5 characters (Vegeta, Trunks, Android 16 (via suicide bomb), Goku and Gohan) could have whooped his ass. Tien, who hasn't been shit since Piccolo first showed up, holds his ass down for a long time.

no lies there. Especially imperfect cell, that dude goes from L to L and had to beg to get his powerup. 5 characters (Vegeta, Trunks, Android 16 (via suicide bomb), Goku and Gohan) could have whooped his ass. Tien, who hasn't been shit since Piccolo first showed up, holds his ass down for a long time.

That never sat well with me when I was a kid. I was like "uhhhh...okay?"

Saiyan Saga Vegeta was a better villain than Cell.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I do have to admit that having Cell be weaker to begin with than Piccolo and Android 17 but then survive and become stronger than them was neat. Then Imperfect being so outclassed by most of the top stars was a nice change of pace. He even ends the whole thing with one miracle powerup to nearly beat someone who completely outclasses him.

I know this goes against what I just said but hey, I give it points for being different. Goku usually just barely outclasses the villain at the very end or is on par/a bit weaker than them and everyone else isn't even remotely in the picture.

Imperfect Cell though...he might be a bit too weak. Goofy looking too compared to regular old cell who is SCARY AS FUCK. I'm glad I was a teenager when I saw that shit. Dude is creepy!

I do have to admit that having Cell be weaker to begin with than Piccolo and Android 17 but then survive and become stronger than them was neat. Then Imperfect being so outclassed by most of the top stars was a nice change of pace. He even ends the whole thing with one miracle powerup to nearly beat someone who completely outclasses him.

I know this goes against what I just said but hey, I give it points for being different. Goku usually just barely outclasses the villain at the very end or is on par/a bit weaker than them and everyone else isn't even remotely in the picture.

Imperfect Cell though...he might be a bit too weak. Goofy looking too compared to regular old cell who is SCARY AS FUCK. I'm glad I was a teenager when I saw that shit. Dude is creepy!

Being different doesn't automatically make it good

MikeMyers

Cell was easily the coolest villain who got instantly lame as hell the moment he powered up and it all went down hill from there.
Toriyama never actually wanted Cell to absorb the Androids. The Shonen Jump editors told him that his big bad had to have a transformation, so he absorbed 17, and that 2nd form got such a bad reception that he forced to have Cell absorb 18 too. Guess Toriyama just stopped giving a fuck and made Freeza 2.0. Funny thing is he brought back Second Form Cell to kill Goku as fuck you to the people who hated that form.

Raxus

Beware the Batman has taught us this lesson well!

Sad because Batman: The Brave and the Bold came before it had a shit ton of unknown villains and was fantastic.

I love the finale had Ambush Bug.

It also made it cool to like Aquaman again for non-comic readers like myself who saw him as useful as a damp towel outside of water.

Toriyama never actually wanted Cell to absorb the Androids. The Shonen Jump editors told him that his big bad had to have a transformation, so he absorbed 17, and that 2nd form got such a bad reception that he forced to have Cell absorb 18 too. Guess Toriyama just stopped giving a fuck and made Freeza 2.0. Funny thing is he brought back Second Form Cell to kill Goku as fuck you to the people who hated that form.

I know, another classic example of editors messing things up and the author getting a big FU to people who hate something he liked

The reverse has clearly happened with Bleach with Kubo giving a big FU multiple times to fan favorite Toshiro who he clearly doesn't care much about

MikeMyers

I know, another classic example of editors messing things up and the author getting a big FU to people who hate something he liked

The reverse has clearly happened with Bleach with Kubo giving a big FU multiple times to fan favorite Toshiro who he clearly doesn't care much about
I heard Kubo recently
killed him off
too.

Raxus

I heard Kubo recently
killed him off
too.

Bleach Manga spoilers:
The way it has been translated, it seems Kubo gave himself an out to revive him. That being said, fuck that jobber. I hope he dies horribly. I wish more authors had the balls to kill major and minor characters more often. Kubo clearly hated him seeing how much he trolled him throughout the years.

MikeMyers

Bleach Manga spoilers:
The way it has been translated, it seems Kubo gave himself an out to revive him. That being said, fuck that jobber. I hope he dies horribly. I wish more authors had the balls to kill major and minor characters more often. Kubo clearly hated him seeing how much he trolled him throughout the years.

Bleach: The FINAL Bankai spoilers:
If he stays dead then I will give Kubo mad props. You're right, I wish more people had the balls to kill a character and keep them dead.

Concerning Toriyama and how Cell was supposed to be, a couple of things, using this article as the source. First, the impression I get is that his relationship with his editors was far less antagonistic than people like to make it seem. The way the Android and Cell sagas went, the original main villains were Androids 19 and 20, but it was actually one of Toriyama's former editors (as in, someone with no jurisdiction over him) who called him up and said that he was really hyped up about the Androids, but then they turned out to be a boring old man and a fatso. So then Toriyama created 17 and 18, but then the same guy called him up and said that two brats didn't really make for threatening villains. So then he introduced Cell, and Cell's transformations WERE due to his then-current editor, since he thought both imperfect forms looked stupid.

And also, we already know what Dragon Ball turns into when Toriyama has complete control over what happens: the Buu saga. Toriyama freely admits that he barely plans the story out at all and only goes chapter by chapter, which he says in the above link is what led to how convoluted the time travel got in the Cell saga; and would later lead to the incredibly odd pacing and events of the Buu saga. Toriyama is similar to George Lucas in that things can get pretty out of control if he doesn't have anyone to reel him in.

Jarate

Banned
Ive never seen it

I havent watched it because when I told my gf I was going to watch it, she gave me a really bad face, and I haven't bothered trying to watch it again.

Asuka is shit, Rei is the best

it's not that he doesn't look goofy, it's that there's no way in hell he looks goofier than this:

Cell_(Second_Form).jpg

"Imperfect Cell though...he might be a bit too weak. Goofy looking too compared to regular old cell who is SCARY AS FUCK. I'm glad I was a teenager when I saw that shit. Dude is creepy!"

If I'm reading this correctly he's saying

Imperfect Cell aka Cell after absorbing 17 is too weak and goofy looking compared to the original version of Cell aka Cell when he first shows up which is creepy/scary

I think you read his post wrong

"Imperfect Cell though...he might be a bit too weak. Goofy looking too compared to regular old cell who is SCARY AS FUCK. I'm glad I was a teenager when I saw that shit. Dude is creepy!"

If I'm reading this correctly he's saying

Imperfect Cell aka Cell after absorbing 17 is too weak and goofy looking compared to the original version of Cell aka Cell when he first shows up which is creepy/scary

I think you read his post wrong

isn't the first form of Cell generally referred to as Imperfect Cell?

isn't the first form of Cell generally referred to as Imperfect Cell?

Yes, and the second is called semi-perfect, but Man God said in a previous post how cell after absorbing 17 was a massive jobber who lost to everyone including Tien of all people and had to beg for his powerup. The fact that he says "imperfect was too weak/goofy" leads me to think Man-God is calling the second version of Cell Imperfect (which I've done too) and the original version of cell "old". Its the only way his two posts on cell make any sense

"Originally Posted by Man God
no lies there. Especially imperfect cell, that dude goes from L to L and had to beg to get his powerup. 5 characters (Vegeta, Trunks, Android 16 (via suicide bomb), Goku and Gohan) could have whooped his ass. Tien, who hasn't been shit since Piccolo first showed up, holds his ass down for a long time."

Man God is calling Cell's 2nd form imperfect, Cell's 2nd form is the one that gets blasted by Tien

MikeMyers

The only form of Cell I like is the first one. Not only is he strategic and cunning (he got dumber with each transformation) but he reminds me of a horror movie villain.

Yes, and the second is called semi-perfect, but Man God said in a previous post how cell after absorbing 17 was a massive jobber who lost to everyone including Tien of all people and had to beg for his powerup. The fact that he says "imperfect was too weak/goofy" leads me to think Man-God is calling the second version of Cell Imperfect (which I've done too) and the original version of cell "old". Its the only way his two posts on cell make any sense

"Originally Posted by Man God
no lies there. Especially imperfect cell, that dude goes from L to L and had to beg to get his powerup. 5 characters (Vegeta, Trunks, Android 16 (via suicide bomb), Goku and Gohan) could have whooped his ass. Tien, who hasn't been shit since Piccolo first showed up, holds his ass down for a long time."

Man God is calling Cell's 2nd form imperfect, Cell's 2nd form is the one that gets blasted by Tien

Man God redeemed

The only form of Cell I like is the first one. Not only is he strategic and cunning (he got dumber with each transformation) but he reminds me of a horror movie villain.

Yep, Cell was by far the best thing to come out of the Android saga... And then he quickly became awful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom