• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug15| You know, Luffy, we really are One Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I know you guys don't really care about Asuma but try to think about how your favorite character Shikamaru just lost his mentor. Time for One Piece.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Maybe not but storywise losing a friend to the 'darkside' is just as bad if not worse then them dying altogether since it can
and does
come back to bite them in the ass.

Guys shikamaru himself said he doesnt even really like sasuke, its been 2 years, im sure he has lost some comrades on missions.

So...did Asuma's death really change the world in hindsight?

Because back when it happened, I remember Naruto fans lost their shit.

When I first read the series I wasn't phased at all... Asuma was a c-tier character who just happened to train the best of the b-teams (Team Ino/Shika/Cho) and suddenly got a huge push attached with death flags, his death was not surprising at all.

The fact that Asuma a minor Naruto character dies made you more upset then the Merry dying in one Piece greatly concerns me

Finally.

Anime telegraphed that HUGELY compared to the manga (and it was glaringly obvious what was gonna befall Asuma in the manga to begin with - dude suddenly got a background, screentime, and what's-her-face waiting for him back home...I knew he was doomed back then).

Guys shikamaru himself said he doesnt even really like sasuke, its been 2 years, im sure he has lost some comrades on missions.

And I'm sure he hasn't, your comment means nothing without any evidence. His comment is clearly about losing Sasuke nothing in the series indicates any other answer

Crocodile

Er yeah GaimeGuy if you've got rectal bleeding, I'd stop watching Toonami and seek medical help ASAP. Too many causes for something like that are SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Moaradin

Asuma's death doesn't really bother me. It's more about Shikamaru loosing his mentor and dealing with it. There's a really great episode coming up about that and it's more emotional than this was.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
k06wrsY.jpg

k06wrsY.jpg

PrA8nBP.jpg

k06wrsY.jpg

PrA8nBP.jpg

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
When I first read the series I wasn't phased at all... Asuma was a c-tier character who just happened to train the best of the b-teams (Team Ino/Shika/Cho) and suddenly got a huge push attached with death flags, his death was not surprising at all.

The fact that Asuma a minor Naruto character dies made you more upset then the Merry dying in one Piece greatly concerns me

I dont give a shit about a boat that suddenly learned to talk with all its cheese.
spoilers:
they get a much cooler boat afterwards. I cried when ace died, since he was my favorite OP character.

Didn't feel much for Asuma. Him dying is really supposed to further develop Shikamaru's character who I felt much for throughout the duration of this arc, and in the show in general.

Merry tho ;_;

I dont give a shit about a boat that suddenly learned to talk with all its cheese.
spoilers:
they get a much cooler boat afterwards. I cried when ace died, since he was my favorite OP character.

Major One Piece Spoilers
Conversely, Ace dying didn't do anything to me at all since he was literally used as a plot point and his character development came after the fact. (Yes, the flashback made me then care somewhat about him, but I personally think Oda mishandled Ace overall. Then again, I dislike the Whitebeard War stuff as a whole...)

Er yeah GaimeGuy if you've got rectal bleeding, I'd stop watching Toonami and seek medical help ASAP. Too many causes for something like that are SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Hopefully it's just light hemorrhoids like what I had, just some of those butt cream pill things fixes that right up.

Asuma's death doesn't really bother me. It's more about Shikamaru loosing his mentor and dealing with it. There's a really great episode coming up about that and it's more emotional than this was.

I generally agree with this, though I feel it still doesn't have the impact it should because Shikamaru is a b-tier character losing his c-tier mentor. Neither has had the screen time individually or together to make these scenes have the impact they should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom