• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug15| You know, Luffy, we really are One Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
OH GOD NO NOT A RECAP. PLEASE 。・゚・(`Д`)・゚・。

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
And I'm sure he hasn't, your comment means nothing without any evidence. His comment is clearly about losing Sasuke nothing in the series indicates any other answer

How could you pin it on sasuke? He said himself other than the mission and the village at hand, he didnt care about sasuke personally, its more like "so what" that sasuke left to him.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So like, why didn't they take the head of the Merry & put it on the new boat? I mean, we know they're getting a new one, why not bring a part of the old Merry so they can have a piece of it so they can always have a part of it with them? It's not like the goat head was the main part that was unrepairable.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
4WqqPHx.gif

foxuzamaki

Asuma's death doesn't really bother me. It's more about Shikamaru loosing his mentor and dealing with it. There's a really great episode coming up about that and it's more emotional than this was.

Yea thi really, its all about how shikamaru takes it and what happens afterwards.

So like, why didn't they take the head of the Merry & put it on the new boat? I mean, we know they're getting a new one, why not bring a part of the old Merry so they can have a piece of it so they can always have a part of it with them? It's not like the goat head was the main part that was unrepairable.

That's barbaric. Putting a ship's head on another ship's body. Like some kind of Frankenstein ship?

I dont give a shit about a boat that suddenly learned to talk with all its cheese.
spoilers:
they get a much cooler boat afterwards. I cried when ace died, since he was my favorite OP character.

Agree with what the other guy above said
Ace was so poorly handled across the board and his death was so horribly telegraphed it had no impact on me at all, the Luffy/Ace/Sabo flash back needed to happen earlier, and Ace needed to be around more for his death to have the impact Oda wanted it to.

The only reason the death "impacted" you is because Ace is a cool character, even if the Merry didn't gain a voice her death is still sadder because of everything the crew went with her to get this far

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Actually the head was part of the same piece as the keel.

Of course, it had also broken off in the past, so it's not like it couldn't be removed. But with Merry being treated as a full on crew member, that's sort of like cutting off your comrade's head and carrying it around, right?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
That's barbaric. Putting a ship's head on another ship's body. Like some kind of Frankenstein ship?
Well, considering Franky is a cyborg, it isn't all that farfetched...Wouldn't HE be considered a bit of a frankenstein?

Actually the head was part of the same piece as the keel.

Of course, it had also broken off in the past, so it's not like it couldn't be removed. But with Merry being treated as a full on crew member, that's sort of like cutting off your comrade's head and carrying it around, right?
Alright, I guess I'll accept this.

I generally agree with this, though I feel it still doesn't have the impact it should because Shikamaru is a b-tier character losing his c-tier mentor. Neither has had the screen time individually or together to make these scenes have the impact they should.

Nah, Shikamaru has had a pretty good amount of screen time considering the large cast, and we've seen what kind of character he is (a character that manages to stay calm/cool/collected through any situation). I do agree with the Asuma thing not having much of an impact to us, but seeing how Shikamaru has to deal with this situation he really isn't familiar with will have much more of an impact than we generally get from the show.

Agree with what the other guy above said
Ace was so poorly handled across the board and his death was so horribly telegraphed it had no impact on me at all, the Luffy/Ace/Sabo flash back needed to happen earlier, and Ace needed to be around more for his death to have the impact Oda wanted it to.

The only reason the death "impacted" you is because Ace is a cool character, even if the Merry didn't gain a voice her death is still sadder because of everything the crew went with her to get this far

If they showed that flashback, the death flags for Ace would have been much more apparent. I agree that Ace needed more screen time in the story though.

How could you pin it on sasuke? He said himself other than the mission and the village at hand, he didnt care about sasuke personally, its more like "so what" that sasuke left to him.

Shikamaru takes the taste of failure from that mission pretty hard, the fact that he not only failed to retrieve Sasuke but got nearly his entire team killed. Shikamaru saying he "knows what it means to lose a comrade" isn't about some close friend, Sasuke was a comrade of the leaf village and Shikamaru was responsible for retrieving him and failed.

foxuzamaki

Major One Piece Spoilers
Conversely, Ace dying didn't do anything to me at all since he was literally used as a plot point and his character development came after the fact. (Yes, the flashback made me then care somewhat about him, but I personally think Oda mishandled Ace overall. Then again, I dislike the Whitebeard War stuff as a whole...)

Yeah I do feel he should have done a lil more with ace and i didnt read the whitebeard war arc in the manga, but in the anime you can tell they were really stretching it, I remember most is alot of sweeping shots of the sea and alot of shots of guys running towards the place, even reusing a scene I believe.Also with the new awakening ability, it downplays whitebeard a little as he didnt show any kind of awakening and still lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom