• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug15| You know, Luffy, we really are One Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an interesting tidbit from that podcast.

When Sean Schemmel asked Masako Nozawa how she got to continue voicing Goku, she said that they were originally going to replace her with a different seiyuu, but she asked the producer and Toriyama if she could re-audition for the role. They liked her audition so much that they decided to keep her on as older Goku.

Here's an interesting tidbit from that podcast.

When Sean Schemmel asked Masako Nozawa how she got to continue voicing Goku, she said that they were originally going to replace her with a different seiyuu, but she asked the producer and Toriyama if she could re-audition for the role. They liked her audition so much that they decided to keep her on as older Goku.

Those motherfuckers. Masako Nozawa needed to stop being a jerk and go out gracefully. DBZ in japanese is forever ruined for me.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Japanese Goku is one of the very, very few voices who I absolutely prefer dubbed over subbed. Like, I get they wanted to keep the cheerful, carefree side of Goku from the original DB, & it most likely worked when Goku was a kid, but as a full-grown male adult, it just...doesn't sound right.

Especially considering she's played roles like Doraemon from the '73 anime, Doctor Kureha in One Piece, & Tetsuro in Galaxy Express 999. Hell, her first role was back in 1963 in Astro Boy.

Also, Goku isn't her only role in DBZ. She ALSO plays Gohan, Bardock, Goten, Vegeto, & Gotenks. SHE PLAYS THE ENTIRE DAMN GOKU FAMILY TREE.....excluding Raditz.

Fun fact: Her husband plays Wassabu in Black Lagoon, Shigekuni in Bleach, &...I guess Toto from One Piece.

Edit: I wanna ask, what do others think of Ninja Slayer? I'm catching up with episodes 17 & then maybe 18 to 20, but I just can't bring myself to enjoy it compared to the first few episodes.

huSYMN2.gif

HFIL is better than HELL, it's more insulting.

I still call it HFIL. Sounds cooler than hell too.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Super S: Episode 136:

Holy Jesus Fuck, this season has been quite the pile of mediocrity but this episode might be one of the worst episodes of Sailor Moon period. The jealousy streak of Usagi has always been an obnoxious character flaw no matter what the medium and it is especially pronounced in the anime but the episode ratchets it up to, well, cartoonish proportions for the sake of a situation right our of a terrible sit com. Though in reality this was like many terrible sit com episode tropes tied into one boring monstrosity. It is pretty damning when Chibiusa has to point out how psychotically clingy she is being even for her. Strongest recommendation to avoid and burn all evidence of existence.

Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Super S: Episode 137:

There we are, after the black hole of suck that was the last episode this was a refreshing return to form even though it is a very Chibiusa heavy episode. Indeed this involves her interacting with an author of a fantasy book she is really into instead of her begin a jealous brat which is good. Anyway, this is the grand debut of Fish Eye as the field general and he plays up his androgyny to the hilt in order to charm this guy and I am pretty sure he already stated he was gay but I guess his cohorts must have not been paying attention but they are learning what The Kinsey Scale is. Not really much else to say about this one, mild recommendation to watch.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Always hope for the best. At one time I was really looking forward to the E7 movie and sequel series....at one time.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'd fear Canti & the other robots would be CGI. & honestly, FLCL has aged fine, it doesn't need a remake. Now if you want to, say, upscale it for Blu-Ray, I guess that would be fine, but the fact it wouldn't have any of the creative team on it just means it doesn't even stand a chance to be as memorable.

I don't know why anyone would attempt a FLCL remake, it's perfect as is and the amount of work that went into it is seriously commendable. Anime industry isn't too big on remakes save for classic series like Gatchaman or Gundam and Matsumoto/Nagai/Tezuka works.

I wouldn't consider DP's JoJo or HxH 2011 to be remakes for example.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I don't know why anyone would attempt a FLCL remake, it's perfect as is and the amount of work that went into it is seriously commendable. Anime industry isn't too big on remakes save for classic series like Gatchaman or Gundam and Matsumoto/Nagai/Tezuka works.

They're both arguably remakes, as is Sailor Moon Crystal and FMA:B.

HxH 2011 is definitely a remake no questions asked, JoJo 2012 is a bit more in the gray as part 1 and part 2 never got anime adaptations (minus that apparently awful part 1 film that never saw the light of day outside of theaters) and part 3 got an ova that covered a very small section of a bigger story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F86cYaCGyw

Yes they aren't far from it. HxH 99/11 are a bit different since they go over the same material and neither skipped around or went into original territory.

The fact is covers the same material is exactly what makes it a remake... even if a remake changes things or takes the material in a different direction or continues past where the original adaptation ended it's still a remake

I guess so. I wouldn't consider it a remake in the same vein as Gatchaman Crowds just because of JoJo/HxH having a source material and being an adaptation. But I guess adaptations can be remade.

In any case the need to frantically remake all the classics doesn't seem to be as prevalent as in video games/film.

I guess so. I wouldn't consider it a remake in the same vein as Gatchaman Crowds just because of JoJo/HxH having a source material and being an adaptation. But I guess adaptations can be remade.

In any case the need to frantically remake all the classics doesn't seem to be as prevalent as in video games/film.

We are starting to see more readaptations/remakes of older series, in the past 5 years we've gotten HxH, JJBA, Parastye, Ushio & Tora, and Sailor Moon Crystal. I'll admit my knowledge of anime history isn't as good as some of the mega nerds in anime gaf but it does feel like we're seeing more and more of these.

Crocodile

why would anyone want this

I'm sure Production I.G. is aware FLCL is an IP with a lot if mindshare in the West. Just as we remember that Adult Swim tried to get more of it made, I'm sure they do as well since they were there. I'm sure if you told a lot of current/lapsed Western anime fans "more FLCL is on the way", they would shout "how much?!"

Anime remakes shit all the time, you just don't always know about it because it's under the radar/new to you.

We are starting to see more readaptations/remakes of older series, in the past 5 years we've gotten HxH, JJBA, Parastye, Ushio & Tora, and Sailor Moon Crystal. I'll admit my knowledge of anime history isn't as good as some of the mega nerds in anime gaf but it does feel like we're seeing more and more of these.

Parasyte never had an adaptation in the first place but yes you are correct.

I feel it's typical that instead of a remake series just get continued instead. Ancient series like Saint Seiya, Dragon Ball and Captain Tsubasa are still running in some for via a continuation.

I'm sure Production I.G. is aware FLCL is an IP with a lot if mindshare in the West. Just as we remember that Adult Swim tried to get more of it made, I'm sure they do as well since they were there. I'm sure if you told a lot of current/lapsed Western anime fans "more FLCL is on the way", they would shout "how much?!"

Production IG has partnered with AS in the past for GitS:SAC and IGPX so maybe that's something IG was thinking about when they acquired the rights. As much as I hesitate on an FLCL remake/sequel made years later if we had a chance to watch it simuldubbed because AS helped fund it I'd be there.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Casshern Sins was a reimagining. The Gundam series is famous for doing movie versions of the TV series years later.

Pretty sure Cyborg 009 was a remake. Astro Boy definitely had one. Like 9/10 of the shows with character representation in Tatsunoko versus Capcom had remakes or second remakes around the time that game released.

Casshern Sins was a reimagining. The Gundam series is famous for doing movie versions of the TV series years later.

Pretty sure Cyborg 009 was a remake. Astro Boy definitely had one. Like 9/10 of the shows with character representation in Tatsunoko versus Capcom had remakes or second remakes around the time that game released.

Those were the series I was referring to that do get remakes and re imaginings. Tatsunoko properties (the classics) and products by the big 3 (Tezuka, Matsumoto and Nagai) do receive remakes fairly regularly. Even right now there is a new Black Jack thing (not a remake) a new Astro Boy thing (remake) a new Devilman adaptation and the continuation of the Space Battleship Yamato 2199 remake.

I wasn't here when it played on Toonami, so I'm curious.

What did you guys think of Casshern Sins?

I never finished it but it was enjoyable. Gatchaman Crowds > Casshern Sins > Yatterman of the Night. I hope Tekkaman Blade or Speed Racer is next, it will probably be Speed Racer since Yatterman had a huge cameo to it

let me rephrase:

why would anyone want this from Production IG

Line_HTX

I heard it was an original spam of...

"KILL CASSHERN! DEVOUR CASSHERN!"

Also, at one point I was pissed at missing out the one night only showing of the E7 movie at my local AMC. Boy am I glad I missed out on it when I found out later what happened.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They stop with the whole Kill Casshew, Devour Casshew thing about 5 episodes in. Every once in awhile someone will remind a mob of people that if they ate Casshew it would cure them.
Friender is basically proof that this will in fact happen.
But its not like the early episodes.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I guess the only way a FLCL remake could "work" is if they decided to adapt more from the manga considering the 2nd half/volume is very different from what I remember. Should re-read it eventually.

Imaishi or bust. With Production I.G we're gonna get a competently animated show with little to no style or soul, like SAO.

Imaishi is already my least favorite anime director, but if he came along and started fucking up FLCL, he'd go to the top of my all time shit list. That's nightmare fuel.

I'm not really interested in any more FLCL at all, because the original was so perfect as it was. And definitely not anything without Tsurumaki's involvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom