• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug15| You know, Luffy, we really are One Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

I think I dropped Akame originally because I didn't want to deal with the airing at the time and I did the three episode rule out of obligation more than actually watching. Plus I thought its popularity was overrated similar to Kill la Kill.

Now I can't help but feel very amused and laughing at the individual villains. It definitely was the dub performance. Beast Lady and Mine are my "favorites" so far, haha

Soulflarz

Banned
how do i put this

i'm okay with how asuma's death is handled despite the whole focus being around side characters. tbh the fact that we are giving attention to these guys is one reason why this arc is my favorite.

edit: well some of this statement relies on things not shown yet

I read that as Asuna and was very confused.

ckohler

Reviews:

Dragon Ball Z: Kai - Did anyone else think Freeza looked and sounded a bit like Mark Hamill's Joker from Batman the Animated Series? He’s got the same creepy vibe in his smile. Gohon's fierce attack was awesome and I loved when Freeza said, "That actually hurt." Damn! When Krillin reappeared I was legitimately surprised and it made for a funny moment even if that Namekian healing technique did come out of nowhere. Now that Piccolo has finally arrived, we'll get see if all the buildup pays off. Rating: Another good episode

Akame ga Kill - The exposition scene about the Imperial Arms, while still cliche, was at least somewhat interesting in this otherwise bland show and it finally explains how all their powers work. However, I think this information would have fit much better in an earlier episode. The crazy dude was mildly fun to watch even though he was equally cliche. I laughed at how he used his x-ray vision to fill the show’s per-episode pantsu quota. Overall, not deplorable but still weak and amateur as all get-out and the writing continues to make my eyes roll constantly. Rating: This show 'NEEDS TO GET STRONGER'

Michiko & Hatchin - Flashback upon flashback of boring. At least all these characters who were never properly introduced are now explained. It was still confusing and made worse by having two different characters named “Satoshi” and “Hiroshi”! Thankfully, the episode actually got good towards the end when the double-cross happened. I also liked how kid Hiroshi looked just like Hanna. Still, I'm tired of watching this show shovel depressing scene after depressing scene at the screen. As much as I admire and respect this show’s production values, its tone just isn’t for me. Rating: Full Out Bushy

Sword Art Online II - I hate Kirito so damn much. Thankfully, we only saw that beater but for a brief moment. Klien bringing up the rear was kinda funny and the animation throughout this episode was as stellar as usual. Yuuki is just great. Not only does she have the best smile in all of Toonami, her character has single handedly made SAO watchable for me. Granted, the story is still stupidly pedestrian I none-the-less find myself caring about Yuuki and whatever her newly revealed issues might be. A really good episode. Rating: Major damage

Naruto: Shippuden - Were those ninja skyscrapers I saw? That place looked really cool. Hopefully the story will go there some day. They dragged out Asuma’s death with a lot of cringeworthy and frankly dumb flashbacks but overall it wasn't bad. I liked his character but not nearly enough to get emotional about it. I just hope they don’t keep lingering on his death going forward and get back to the battles. Rating: Hitchcock no Jutsu

One Piece - Revelation upon revelation is revealed! For as little of One Piece I’ve seen, I actually remember some of these early characters! With a series this long, it’s commendable how they still have references to those early episodes. I don’t get why Luffy’s grand-dad is being so nice if he’s the enemy but whatever. He’s funny. This single episode seems to have done more to progress the over-arching story than entire arcs have. Great stuff! Rating: Monkey D. Awesome

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Shonen anime:
Need to get stronger HUSTLE
Project my friends - LOYALTY
Never give up RESPECT

qLFsVeA.gif

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
There was a new Clyde bump?

Also what if the twist was purple-haired girl was actually Asuna's mom all this time?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*watches a video of Top 15 funniest alterations & censoring done to DBZ*

Wow, the original English version had some weird changes. "Beer" was turned to....water that's foamy for some reason, & they removed the fact Gohan had a thought bubble of an apple tree? & Krillin mentions that he would've been extinct like the dinosaurs......despite the fact we've SEEN dinosaurs in the series.

inb4 HELL was changed to HFIL

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I still love some of the lines they'd say to be all "naaah, they're not REALLY dead!" like "LOOK, I CAN SEE THEIR PARACHUTES!" & "Too bad it's Sunday, those buildings would have been full tomorrow".

Also lol they CENSORED nose-picking by digitally removing the pinky & making it look like he's picking his teeth...with his mouth closed or something?

So would HFIL count as ANOTHER DIMENSION?! Seriously, the only time death was sugar-coated in a good/cool way was Yu-Gi-Oh because "Shadow Realm" sounded like a place similar to hell.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well I was joking more about how "death" in DBZ was usually called going to another or the next dimension, & it just reminded me how stupid/silly terms would be when they tried to sugar-coat death in cartoons/English versions of anime back in the '90s.

Again, "Shadow Realm" was probably the only time it worked because sometimes they WOULD travel to what looked like another dimension or realm for some duels & the name actually does sound like some place horrific, if not a place WORSE than death.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Well I was joking more about how "death" in DBZ was usually called going to another or the next dimension, & it just reminded me how stupid/silly terms would be when they tried to sugar-coat death in cartoons/English versions of anime back in the '90s.

Again, "Shadow Realm" was probably the only time it worked because sometimes they WOULD travel to what looked like another dimension or realm for some duels & the name actually does sound like some place horrific, if not a place WORSE than death.

4kids did a really great job making the shadow realm seem like a bad bad place to have your soul exiled to. YGH is probably their best overall product in general, maybe just a bit behind Pokémon.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Well Pokemon was already meant for kids, so it's not like there was a ton to edit out, save for a few infamous moments or episodes being completely cut out. YGO had a bit more censoring going on, but yes, I would argue out of all the shows they did, it's among their top 3....I guess "least butchered" or something.

....to continue my "sugar-coating death" thought process, even as a kid, I found it annoying when they did it in Sonic X & they were retelling some of the events from Sonic Adventure 2 & I knew one of the characters freakin' died during the flashback, why try to hide what was plainly told to me in a game rated E FOR EVERYONE AGES 6 & UP?!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh cool, neat find. I've been trying to find podcasts lately (especially ones over an hour long) since they help pass the time when I'm cleaning the movie theater.

Doesn't someone here (was it Oni?) post a Toonami-related podcast?

BBboy20

I will buy TPP and Mad Max.

Fury Road. On Blu ray.
Same.

WVW69iVvgnIuRSW5or

Why? Because it's quicker to draw

This weekend seems too Busy. SFV Beta, Smite has a bunch of Gem stuff up, Fable Beta, Gigantic Beta, and RIGHT before MGSV... Not to mention PAX stuff. Couldn't the Marathon have been THIS week? XD
I think I'll just focus on nothing but MGS5 next month.

I'll try for the marathon, but considering I have school/work throughout the week, I need all the Metal Gear time I can get.
There is a lot to play next month but watching this http://www.twitch.tv/uknighted all week had me wanting to get 5 sooner then later.

How did he talk with no throat?
That seems to be a thing with this show.

Did he grab his leg or his dick?
Probably a old wound going by the implications of that flashback.

Sequel to Maze Runner.

Put them in ANOTHER MAZE!
But the world is the new maze. :3

It um actually does in this series, remember all the mmos are linked and run on the same system
The legacy of a mass murderer.

This soundtrack continues to be so much better than this show deserves.
That's the Yuki I know and love.

I frequently run into people who remember me, but I never remember them.

That either means they were assholes who I tried to forget, or I'm a dick who never remembers anyone.
Welcome to my world.

That's Big Boss.

Yeah, it's quite apparent Yuukie has become the best thing about SAO.

Line_HTX

I think it was Oni that also has a podcast.

Home For INFINITE Losers is the best alteration. That and Shadow Realm sound like it's a bad place.

Losers forever, lol

I just discovered Rob Paulson's podcast, "Talkin Toons." Rob is the voice of Yakko Warner and a billion other beloved characters. It's a pretty good show and the most recent episode is dedicated to discussing anime.

Best of all, the five guests are all Toonami alumni:

Steve Blum
Todd Haberkorn
Mary Elizabeth McGlynn
Sean Schemmel
Kari Wahlgren

http://techjives.net/2015/08/05/130-anime-night-with-rob-on-talkin-toons-with-rob-paulsen/

This is a great find. Will listen to this effective immediately.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Gotta remember to pick up the amazon box sets of One Piece when they go on sale.

Even not on sale they're a decent deal. for 240 bucks you can have from the first episode to where TOONAMI was at the beginning of summer (1-299)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
There's a DBZ KAI gif I'm actually not going to make right now because, well, I don't want spoilers. I'm pretty sure it's only two episodes/three weeks away though.

Line_HTX

Man, I feel like spoilers at this point is just what was cut out in the Kai version.

I mean, I try to be careful about DBZ, but at the same time I feel like everyone and their family has already watched the original DBZ in its entirety many years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom