• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug15| You know, Luffy, we really are One Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Okay, so this is where Shippuden actually gets good.

Oooh, you're right. This is where the arc finally shift into a higher gear. From here until the end of the arc is good storytelling and well worth watching. I just wish Kishi had stuck to the more personal type of story arcs because he is really good at those. Had Naruto been entirely in the style of this arc no one would complain about shit.

Grexeno

Between KLK and SAO on the fun scale, where does AGK fall?
It's probably going to be a bit above SAO as a "this is so amazingly bad" show.

Oooh, you're right. This is where the arc finally shift into a higher gear. From here until the end of the arc is good storytelling and well worth watching. I just wish Kishi had stuck to the more personal type of story arcs because he is really good at those. Had Naruto been entirely in the style of this arc no one would complain about shit.
Well, unfortunately Kishi is just not a great writer.

Seda

(not really a spoiler just some vague thoughts on things that havent aired yet)

One of the reason I like this arc is simply how Shikamaru approaches things. He can, like, actually hold a conversation with other characters (something not many in this series do). He considers options, contemplates. He's also observant of things around him and we can get a little glimpse of his thought processes. It's unalike most shonen and while there's a little less 'energy' perhaps, I really appreciate it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Well, unfortunately Kishi is just not a great writer.

The thing is he can be though, when he does very focused personal stories with a solid emotional core. All the parts that people like in Naruto have that basic thing in common. His problem is that he's constantly not doing that and doing other shit he isn't good at instead. It's like if Steven King tried to write a romance novel instead of a horror novel. It just wouldn't work because that isn't what he's good at.

Man I never realized how much I used my phone for communication and keeping up to date on things until I no longer had it. Hopefully the insurance doesn't take to long to send me a new one. Anyone else have experience using insurance in this kind of situation?

Between KLK and SAO on the fun scale, where does AGK fall?

Depends on who you ask, but I'll at least say it's a FAR more competent story than SAO.

I'd put AGK closer to Deadman Wonderland than either of those. In terms of presentation, they're pretty damn close. Lots of insane faces and hyperviolence/gore.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Life becomes easier when you realize Naruto was always kind of bad

Of course compared to the later Shippuden arcs the earlier ones looked amazing

I always felt that Naruto needed a few more arcs between Zabuza and the Chunin Exams.
Introducing the other members of Naruto's class in team-up missions, give more character development, not waste so much time of the Chunin Exams on flashbacks

I'd say Deadman Wonderland is the closest show that Toonami GAF has scene that compares to Akame Ga Kill as others above have mentioned.

Grexeno

I always felt that Naruto needed a few more arcs between Zabuza and the Chunin Exams.
Introducing the other members of Naruto's class in team-up missions, give more character development, not waste so much time of the Chunin Exams on flashbacks
It always weirds me out comparing Volume 10 of Naruto vs. Volume 10 of One Piece. Volume 10 of Naruto is Rock Lee vs. Gaara, in the tournament section of the Chuunin Exams. Volume 10 of One Piece is the Arlong Arc. Naruto covers way too much ground way too fast.

Seda

The Naruto/Sasuke dynamic never feels genuine and becomes the focus of the entire series. It's quite problematic yeah.

Well, Now that I've got a replacement laptop (In case you were wondering, got myself a Dell XPS 13) I can watch Toonami and comment on it at the same time!
AW YEAH!

Ready for tonight.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ugh, the Family Guy episode where he confuses a Prostate exam for "rape". Just... why.

The Naruto/Sasuke dynamic never feels genuine and becomes the focus of the entire series. It's quite problematic yeah.

Yep, when you start retconning in scenes of Naruto/Sasuke's before they become team 7 to try and give your main characters some kind of deeper connection it's not hard to see why people find the writing laughable

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh god, is the scene where Stewie says like 10 variations of "mom" 20 times on? I showed that scene to my dad's gf because I was gettin' real annoyed at her kids always asking for stuff & now it's her damn ringtone if one of her sons call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom