• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Aug15| You know, Luffy, we really are One Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

Uh, Netflix just added the second Persona 3 animated movie.

What the hell is going on with Netflix and anime licensing?!?

bigkrev

"Here is a market we can dominate with our wads and wads of cash."

I'm more talking about just how strange some of the stuff they do is. They have the second movie only for example, but not the first one (meaning that if you haven't played the game, your missing the first 25% of the story), the first 100 episodes only of Hunter x Hunter (so it ends in the middle of a story), ect.

Crocodile

Here is an interesting read.

Why Isn't More Anime Made For Americans?

-------

RIP Grexeno's harddrive.

The bit at the end "don't you like being part of an exclusive club" made me cringe a bit. As to the topic at hand, yeah the big issue is that if you aren't _________, you're going to have to do some guessing as to what _________ actually likes which can be hard as fuck. Many of those "made for America" animes they talk about were flawed in one way or the other (though I think I'm one of the few people online who legit loved Heat Guy J). Shame to hear the Trigun movie was apparently a flop. Also lack of exposure opportunities and inability to outspend Hollywood or American companies can make things hard.

A more interesting read is their hilarious defense of FMA 2003, which doesn't actually address the issues commonly cited for that show and uses the positives for THE FRANCHISE AS A WHOLE as a defense of FMA03 specifically.

I mean I still think overall FMA 2003 is a great show but the way some people will stan for it or ignore its flaws make me question if they saw the same show I did LOL.

Anime shouldn't be made for Americans because we already have American things made for Americans

the end

Eh, I'm not so sure I agree with that. I can't tell you how frustrating it is that its impossible to get a home-grown action show to stick. Or how there has been a general trend of character design homogenization and simplification in American cartoons. On the flip side, the insane/cheap production schedules many anime are made on turns them into slideshows. Or how many times have we watched an anime and been forced to say "FFS Japan SMH!" even in shows that were overall good (to say nothing of the bad ones). I think both schools leave things on the table so to speak, it would be nice if the best qualities of both schools of thought could be combined or encouraged. A good example would be the Avatar cartoon series that is still beloved. Korra could have been up there too but unfortunately nobody who knew how to write worth a damn worked on that show :/

Line_HTX

Yeah, despite the obvious flaws, FMA 2003 was pretty enjoyable. I remember the first time it aired on Adult Swim Action and was pretty psyched about it most of the way through. Eventually I was like... Ehh, fuck this. This doesn't make any sense, lol.

I wish some really old ASA shows came back. Witch Hunter Robin, Wolf's Rain, s-CRY-ed, Kikaider... Those were the awesome shit.

I'm not against a defense of FMA03. I will probably completely oppose it, but I'm open to one.

That article barely qualifies as a defense and it actually feels like they used the dispute about its quality for hits on an article that's actually just some random shit they enjoy about Fullmetal Alchemist.

I need to rewatch the first half of FMA03. Because I remember it being really good before it went off the deep end.

But that was a long time ago.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Anyone who thinks that FMA:B has a better score than FMA is wrong. Yes I know about musical taste, opinion and all that. No, FMA:B still has fantastic music. Yes, I'm sure of it.

Better coloring too.

DBZ Resurrection of F Grosses 4 million in Three Days

May not sound impressive but -

American distributor Funimation, in partnership with Fathom Events (which is owned by theater chains AMC, Cinemark and Regal), rolled out the film on Tuesday for a one-week theatrical run, and the film has grossed over $4 million in its first three days. Amazingly, this was achieved with just one showtime per day at a relatively modest 900 theaters.

Dragon Ball ranked in fifth place at the American box office on Tuesday and Wednesday. According to industry reports, that’s the first time an event-style release has cracked the top 10 and its per-screen average is the best among all movies currently in theaters.

I'll defend the few clever/good ideas FMA 03 had even if their execution was botched. Stuff like the homonculi being evil versions of the people alchemist attempted to bring back with human transmutation, expanding upon the boys time with Nina and Shou, expanding upon Lust's character, animating the Roy vs Ed gaiden chapter, the idea that Ed and Al's father left because his body was deteriorating due to body jumping to keep his life going and tying it into the villains motivation.

Obviously we've addressed for the most part why a lot of these fail or don't hold up under scrutiny, but FMA 03 does have plenty of points that you could defend to some extend.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Also hilariously enough given that the second series's name in the English version is Brotherhood the first show focuses quite a bit more on Ed and Al's relationship.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I do remember that amazing graveyard warehouse 13 episode.

Another all time classic, especially the special opening they did for it.

EDIT: I can't find a good clip of the opening. It's episode 37 and the whole series is on Netflix. Unlike Brotherhood, which is missing everything with the 5th opening. Possibly in an effort to spare us from having to hear it.

Grexeno

Unlike Brotherhood, which is missing everything with the 5th opening. Possibly in an effort to spare us from having to hear it.
yN3LuK4.gif

Seda

Golden Time is an opening I wasn't fond of at first, then it kinda grew on me, and is now probably my favorite for FMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom