• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Dec14| Watch the reruns, Shinji

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Samurai Jack has a ton of "filler" episodes that are fun in of themselves but then you remember the show went 52 episodes without resolving anything and you get sad :(

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Next week on Toonami:

11:30 - Attack on Titan - 7 - Small Blade: The Struggle for Trost, Part 3
12:00 - Dragon Ball Z: Broly – The Legendary Super Saiyan
1:30 - AKIRA
4:00 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 42 - Signs of a Counteroffensive
4:30 - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG - 12 - SELECON
5:00 - Big O - 25 - The War of Paradigm City
5:30 - Samurai Jack - 45 - The Scotsman Saves Jack: Part I

Later.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
zlCfzSv_LdUEHTb5nV

zlCfzSwBcA4CDppfrW
Later. I just saved you 6.5 Hours!

Seda

Next week on Toonami:

11:30 - Attack on Titan - 7 - Small Blade: The Struggle for Trost, Part 3
12:00 - Dragon Ball Z: Broly – The Legendary Super Saiyan
1:30 - AKIRA
4:00 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 42 - Signs of a Counteroffensive
4:30 - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG - 12 - SELECON
5:00 - Big O - 25 - The War of Paradigm City
5:30 - Samurai Jack - 45 - The Scotsman Saves Jack: Part I

Later.

Should Brotherhood be red-texted? It's the last airing.

BBboy20

Did Hellsing ever get a video game?

Because I would love a game where you switch between Alucard & Seras.

....& have Platinum make it.
I almost already thought of a debut trailer with Oppenheimer's famous speech.

Alright folks... I got my snacks ready.

Time for Honey-from-Space-Dandy voiced Sacred Star of Milos. WILL SHE SWALLOW THE STONE?

It's showtime!
Expains why she sounded familiar. =D

why does the caped guy sound like a southern prosecution lawyer
Pretty sure that is suppose to be Val Kilmer's depiction of Doc Holiday.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Good morning everyone.

And thus, Hellsing has ended. We're lucky to get it over a few months, fans in Japan waited six years for the whole thing. Half the time it took Hirano to complete the manga.

Overall, Hellsing's story is... rather flimsy. Most of the story is focused on the invasion, leaving very little breathing room for development. Hence, the final episode dropped all the exposition bombs. Like Mina Harker being the source of Millennium's vampires (though she was foreshadowed by people referring to "She").

Also, Alucard getting defeated by Quantum Physics is still bizarre, and the Major being a cyborg was... what?
And Alucard is even more OP at the end of the series. Jeez.

I think Hellsing makes more sense if you look at it as an exploitation series. Minimal plot, major focus on violence and sex.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So did we agree that this week's OT subtitle should be something among the lines of "KAKAROT!!! TETSUO!!!/KANEDA!!! KAGOME!!"?

Tamanon

Banned
I like the fact that Julia was betrayed by her brother twice.

First, the fake one betrayed her, then her actual brother appeared and promptly betrayed her.

Seda

Milos: The movie misses a few swings in putting together a better film. Several of the earlier events do make sense with the full movie context - why not-Ashley waited in jail for nearly five years, why a chimera was trying to kill him, why his story didn't fit with what was shown the viewer at the beginning. So everything kinda of falls into place, but these aren't good foreshadowing and it's largely because Atlas is literally un-introduced until the twist which is kind of a baffling decision. Additionally, there are several other moments that only exist for the convenience factor, like that the Crightons had a philosopher's stone or why the Table city Amestrians trapped Ed/Al. And real-Ashley's motives were comically boring as well.

Julia as a character I don't have as much issue with. While she shows an irritating stubbornness, I think it's pretty clear it's intentionally framed as an imperfect character trait and not something viewers are supposed to be sympathetic to. Her spiel at the end of the movie wasn't a great resolution, but she touches on her mistakes in so strongly desiring some sort of power as a way to overcome her parent's death. Ed even speaks on behalf of the audience in saying that he doesn't approve of the things she did.

The middle of the movie drags a little more than I remembered (adding commercial breaks doesn't help). For a movie that people understand is ultimately inconsequential, it probably went a little bit too far in setting up the conflict, although I think establishing character dynamics between filler characters isn't an issue in and of itself.

The production values are good - music and animation - and I think the general structure is adequate, but a few boneheaded storyline elements certainly prevent this from being a better movie. A silly romp that manages to be entertaining in its own way.

ckohler

Tonight's theme was wolf-men. Lots of guys turning into wolves and what-not. Now, on with the reviews:

Attack on Titan - The first half of this episode is pretty bad with Armin and a bunch of other characters just freaking out and their VAs constantly yelling and hurting my eardrums. Lucky, the scene where Mikasa dispatches the titan and lays down the law was pretty cool. The second half of this episode is some great hard drama showing the origin of how Mikasa lost her family. That's some dark shit. I applaud the show for going that dark even if it does make me cringe with the all the murder revenge and talk of sex slavery. It would be really cool if Mikasa's sudden, unexplained super strength at the end actually was a thing but I just assume that was only for dramatic effect. :/

Hellsing Ultimate - The grand finale was pretty great but it was almost ruined by every character giving endless monologues. In fact, I'd say that the only real problem I have with Hellsing Ultimate as a series was the constant, boring and often confusing monologues. The finale asks more questions than it answered. Like, why was the Major a cyborg? Why was his entire goal to kill Alucard? Where did Schodinger come from? Still, I'll let those things slide. The idea of having Schrodinger sacrifice himself so as to defeat Alucard with quantum mechanics was pretty original and I liked the idea that Alucard had to use this to kill off all 3 million versions of himself for the next 30 years so he could return was pretty epic. I liked seeing Pip return to help Seras and the time skip at the end was neat (although they once again went too far with the "comedy"). All in all, a good ending to a fantastic miniseries that had a lot of creativity and style. Farewell Arucard. Police Girl, you are just the best. I'm so glad she survived. *swoon*

Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos - I throughly enjoyed this. It was a million times better a FMA movie than that Nazi Shambala crap we saw last year. The animation was amazing, better than Brotherhood even. My only complaint about the style was the way hair looked and how everything was drawn "low res" with really thick lines, if that makes sense. Yes, the plot and a few characters go off the rails towards the end with all the swerves and ridiculous motivations but at least it kept me engaged and entertained. Julia wasn't nearly as bad as you guys were warning me and I thought it was pretty cool when she swallowed the stone and became this crazy badass alchemist. This was an enjoyable side-story that neatly fits alongside the cannon without disrupting anything. In fact, I think it would be cool if they visited the other nations surrounding Amestris more often. This was a flawed movie that has more good things going for it than bad. I'm glad they aired it.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - I don't really have much to say other than I don't remember Ed having to make himself into a single-soul philosopher stone the first time I watched this. The whole Al collapsing when Ed is near death "kinda" makes sense, I guess? Maybe not but it's an interesting idea.

While it was a pretty good night overall, I'm already missing the main shows. The only other movie I've not seen is Broly at this point and after that it's all repeats so I may not even watch those. I'm eagerly looking forward to the new year and the return of DBZ, One Piece and Gurren Lagann.

Seda

While it was a pretty good night overall, I'm already missing the main shows. The only other movie I've not seen is Broly at this point and after that it's all repeats so I may not even watch those. I'm eagerly looking forward to the new year and the return of DBZ, One Piece and Gurren Lagann.

I'm probably going to miss the next two (actually....maybe three) weeks due to being home for the holiday/break. So it is nice to know I'm not missing episode premieres, but right, the rest of movie month isn't terribly interesting.

Hellsing has always been stupid. When your first episode has an invincible vampire fighting Frankenpriest with pistols that can't physically exist and never seem to run out of ammo, there's really no other label for it. But on some level, Hellsing always made sense. No matter how outlandish it got, it seemed semi-plausible within its universe. It was the kind of stupidity you could roll with because it felt like the writer was just having fun; there was no need to sit around and question the logic of a bad guy who uses playing cards. But here's where I draw the line: the Nazi catboy who is A FUCKING MASTER OF TIME AND SPACE. Schrodinger didn't bother me so much outside of his obnoxious character design because he wasn't involved in the plot, but now? I need something to go on if I'm going to buy this. How does he have these powers? Why did he join the Major''s cause? At least other stuff could be handwaved with "because vampires and German science is the best in the world", but we don't even get that much here, and Schrodinger's powers are far more difficult to buy into than anything we've seen so far. Someone who can conjure up illusions? Sure. Someone who can manipulate the trajectory of a bullet? Absolutely. Someone who can manipulate time and space? No, fuck you. We're just supposed to accept that Schrodinger is the big trump card because that's what he is. It no longer feels like Hirano having fun, it feels like he wrote himself into a corner. Schrodinger exists solely to kill Alucard, which is exceptionally poor writing. It boils down to this: "Here's a character. He has Alucard's weakness because he does." It's one thing to more or less do this exact thing to introduce antagonists who will put up a good fight, but it's entirely another to introduce people who will have some huge impact on the plot. I hesitate to call this deus ex machina because Schrodinger has been around for quite a long time at this point and his powers are nothing new, but it warrants largely the same reaction.

Even if I could get over all of that, what's left? After Alucard dies, nothing really...changes. The series limps aimlessly for another 30-40 minutes. The Major is killed, having fulfilled his goal, Walter succumbs to the aging after the Nazi dies, and everyone else goes home. Then after 30 years, Alucard just...returns, and it makes the whole thing feel pointless. The Walter/Alucard fight is a bust, and the Seras/Nazi Wolfman fight is rather middling. But most of all, the whole thing is bogged down in rambling monologues that never seem to end. For all the talking that goes on in this last episode, I rarely felt like I gained some real insight into anything. It just felt like it was wasting my time and boring me to death. This is the conclusion American fans waited two years to see in English, and it's a joke. It's wrapped up in crappy storytelling and incessant monologues, with little of the show's visual flair to spice things up. It's boring, and that's probably the worst thing you can say about an episode of Hellsing. An episode of a show with shapeshifting invincible vampires, Nazi werewolves, Nazi cyborgs, London in ruins, and more is fucking boring. What a way to end.

Soulflarz

Banned
I cant tell if I liked the series as a whole or not. I want to say yes but I cant think of a specific episode where I was like "whoa amazing"

Like black lagoon? Hell yes, amazing episodes all around. But these felt dragged on for what they were, and I dont like that our main character actively detracted from my enjoyment since his role was "mysterious badass who cant die and doesnt really have much of his personality explained"

Like there isnt all that much plot to it. It's good for what it is, I just dont know if I like what it is. It reminds me of if someone made an anime adaptation of a short story or something.

Schrodingers powers don't need an explanation nor did a lot of things like how Alucard got his powers, how Hellsing originally bested him, or how the nazi's made nazi vampiress. When a throw away line like "schrodinger was born with these powere from god to best Alucard" would literally have sufficed I think no explanation is fine. The real problem was the mangaka seemed compelled to explain these things at the end and did so very poorly where 90% of things in the final episode came down to "did you read bram stokers dracula? No then fuck you". Less really would have been more in Hellsing Ultimate

Schrodingers powers don't need an explanation nor did a lot of things like how Alucard got his powers, how Hellsing originally bested him, or how the nazi's made nazi vampiress. When a throw away line like "schrodinger was born with these powere from god to best Alucard" would literally have sufficed I think no explanation is fine. The real problem was the mangaka seemed compelled to explain these things at the end and did so very poorly where 90% of things in the final episode came down to "did you read bram stokers dracula? No then fuck you". Less really would have been more in Hellsing Ultimate

Alucard's powers are repeatedly explained by the fact that he's a vampire, and even then he rarely does anything that's too difficult to buy. Vampires can shapeshift. Vampires keep all the people they've eaten within them. Vampires are borderline unkillable. None of this begs an explanation since it all boils down to "because he's a vampire."

Schrodinger is exactly the opposite of all of that. What am I supposed to say for him? "Because he's a catboy?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom