• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Dec14| Watch the reruns, Shinji

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alucard's powers are repeatedly explained by the fact that he's a vampire, and even then he rarely does anything that's too difficult to buy. Vampires can shapeshift. Vampires keep all the people they've eaten within them. Vampires are borderline unkillable. None of this begs an explanation since it all boils down to "because he's a vampire."

Schrodinger is exactly the opposite of all of that. What am I supposed to say for him? "Because he's a catboy?"

Because his powers are based upon the Scheodinger cat principle, thats literally all the explanation it needs. They established this back in his introduction in episode 4 that he's everywhere and nowhere, that sometimes he's alive and sometimes he's dead. They shoot him at the meeting and the next scene he's back with the major. The bigger problem was that he proceedes to not do anything relevant until the finale when he intentionally lets himself get absorbed into Alucard. IIRC the only other scenes he's in are comedic scenes.

Soulflarz

Banned
Because his powers are based upon the Scheodinger cat principle, thats literally all the explanation it needs. They established this back in his introduction in episode 4 that he's everywhere and nowhere, that sometimes he's alive and sometimes he's dead. They shoot him at the meeting and the next scene he's back with the major. The bigger problem was that he proceedes to not do anything relevant until the finale when he intentionally lets himself get absorbed into Alucard. IIRC the only other scenes he's in are comedic scenes.

I think his issue is moreso that its supposed to be realistic in the world of vampires and instead its "oh yeah these people can do X/Y dont think about it please" rather than any logic reason Schrodinger can possibly exist.

That is not all the explanation it needs, because there is no reason for him to have those powers at all. You can say everyone else is a crazy experimental vampire because that's what they are. Schrodinger is just there because the writer needed a way to kill Alucard, and it's bullshit.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
That is not all the explanation it needs, because there is no reason for him to have those powers at all. You can say everyone else is a crazy experimental vampire because that's what they are. Schrodinger is just there because the writer needed a way to kill Alucard, and it's bullshit.

Yeah. Pretty much everyone else has some kind of reason why they have a certain power, be it experimental vampire or "I trained really hard" or ate some other character or whatever the fuck Anderson's explanation was (I don't even remember anymore), but Schrodinger's is literally just "I'm Schrodinger's Cat because fuck you."

The real problem is killing Alucard accomplished nothing, by the point Alucard "died" the only people left were

Walter, who was already dying
Church girl, who wasn't on the nazi's side
The scientist, who Walter would have killed anyway
The Major, who would have probably been destroyed by Integra in the end even if Seras wasn't there
Seras/Integra, where one or the other could have killed the Major

That's really the bigger problem, the Nazi's go to all this trouble to kill Alucard... and then have no real plan after this fact. Eliminate Schrodinger and eliminate Alucard's death and the ending plays out exactly the same minus the need for Alucard to disappear for 30 years.

Grexeno

That's really the bigger problem, the Nazi's go to all this trouble to kill Alucard... and then have no real plan after this fact. Eliminate Schrodinger and eliminate Alucard's death and the ending plays out exactly the same minus the need for Alucard to disappear for 30 years.
The Major didn't care what happened after killing Alucard. He just wanted his war.

They could have just gone the X-Men route ans say Schrodinger is a mutant or something.

But then you still have the problem of being the most underwhelming trump card ever because it still just boils down to, "So we found this mutant catboy somewhere who can do this."

The real problem is killing Alucard accomplished nothing, by the point Alucard "died" the only people left were

Walter, who was already dying
Church girl, who wasn't on the nazi's side
The scientist, who Walter would have killed anyway
The Major, who would have probably been destroyed by Integra in the end even if Seras wasn't there
Seras/Integra, where one or the other could have killed the Major

I said that was a problem as well. The whole thing is pointless. There are no consequences outside of Walter dying and Integra losing her eye.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Probably the lamest Sketch Dump of the Year, so I'm thankful to those who took the time to show any appreciation! :) You might have spent more time with that. than I spent drawing this one, haha. (Though Comedy Seras took me all night for some reason...)

------+++++++-------

On the Subject of Hellsing... I'm kinda surprised anyone is taking any time to try and figure out Schrodinger's story. WHO. REALLY. CARES. The whole thing was a throw-away goofball excuse to place Alucard against supposedly stronger enemies, which really ended up not being exciting for him to fight at all, as he ALWAYS seemed to be in control of nearly everything.

Even his defeat felt like he just kinda... let it happen.

Really, SAO's story was more interesting and driven, with more levels and shifts of emotion. At least I can feel like it had "arcs" to it's tale. Hellsing just felt like an excuse to show us awesome imagery, let the Mangaka try his hand at low-cost comedy, and take a whole series to build up to one Pantyshot.

Why was Schrodinger's power any more BS than Alucard's infinite familiars, Walter's Wires, evil vampire chick's Illusion abilities, Seras being the only one with a still-talking weaponized familiar, Anderson being a Vampire in all but class description power-wise, or the ONE Wolfman we saw in the entire series? There was no build up for barely anything, every ability and type was a single-opponent's quirk, and they had no interesting past or future beyond their moment of use in the story.

I also don't know why anyone is asking "why did they want to kill Alucard"? The last episode threw us the "life sucks, we just wanna die in a blaze of glory" excuse, and that seems to apply for basically everything in the series. Undeath is boring. Might as well go out with a bang.

MILLIONS were pawns in nothing more than 2 great forces fighting in "an exchange of bullets", as I think Integra put it. The stage was grand, London basically doesn't exist anymore, and this was all for some petty desire for supreme powers to cure boredom.

Possibly one of the most uselessly stupid things to run on New Toonami, but it looked real nice, and that's really all it needed to do.

I found myself really enjoying Seras' voice work, though. She basically did a great job at hamming it up in a perfect way, just like Crispin.

ckohler

After further thought, I don't really have a problem with Shrodinger's abilities or even his existence in the story. Like others have said, if you can believe that vampires and werewolves can exist in this world, then why not this anthropomorphized version of the Schrodinger's Cat thought experiment? It at least fits that he would be an ageless cat-boy and you can infer by his German name that he could be a product of Nazi experimentation thus sympathetic to their cause.

Also, I don't so much get the impression that he is a master of time and space. If anything, his only ability appeared to be that he could "be anywhere or everywhere". You could kill him and he would just continue to exist somewhere else. Creepy and useful for reconnaissance and long distance communication but he's not really a threat to anyone except for Alucard who absorbs people's souls/abilities and even then it was just a 30 year-long annoyance for the vampire.

Akame ga Kill! - Episode 24 (END)

PzrVNq0.gif

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Cat boy being involved in the ending and having no explanation for his powers...so what.

They don't explain anyone else's powers or why they work for whom they work for. I still have no clue what Anderson's powers were before his Jesus upgrade and I don't care. The series was always silly.

Soulflarz

Banned
Cat boy being involved in the ending and having no explanation for his powers...so what.

They don't explain anyone else's powers or why they work for whom they work for. I still have no clue what Anderson's powers were before his Jesus upgrade and I don't care. The series was always silly.
I think thats where it throws people off though- if you disregard the comedy anime styled scenes, the series doesnt present itself in a silly way most of the time.

Raxus

Akame ga Kill! - Episode 24 (END)

PzrVNq0.gif

I dunno what you were expecting. At least the final fight was a good one. I love how *AKAME FINALE SPOILERS*
Esdeath peaced out. Still it is lame they killed members just for shits and giggles at the end. Really, Leone went solo to kill the minister?

Overall it is lame they opted for an anime only finale but that said it isn't Bones Eater bad.

It wasn't as bad as Bones Eater ( it's difficult to top that BS), but it was still pretty terrible. I don't even read the manga, and even I could tell that some things weren't right.

Moaradin

Honestly, the best episode of Akame was after the show already went off the rails
(the akame vs kurome one)
The show was never that great to begin with. It was a dumb fun show but it had very little character development and the story didn't really go anywhere. Pretty much the only thing that the show had going for it was how they killed off characters, and even that got old because of how predictable it became. I'm not exactly sad that the anime is ending for good. It was starting to wear a little thin for me about halfway through.

Raxus

It wasn't as bad as Bones Eater ( it's difficult to top that BS), but it was still pretty terrible. I don't even read the manga, and even I could tell that some things weren't right.

I think it goes without saying nearly everyone that died past a certain point is non-canon. Hell some characters that are dead in the manga survived in the anime for some reason.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Something Something, Two Months from Today, Narto Shippuden, Something Something.

I don't know why I'm promoting this.
Noone cares about Shippuden Non-Canon™ material.
Only some weirdos.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I have faith that the four worst series on Nu-Toonami won't ever reair.

Thundercats, Tenchi Muyo GXP, Beware the Batman, Samurai 7. Gone forever.

I wouldn't mind S7 that much truth be told but I'm sure it's never coming back.

Grexeno

I have faith that the four worst series on Nu-Toonami won't ever reair.

Thundercats, Tenchi Muyo GXP, Beware the Batman, Samurai 7. Gone forever.

I wouldn't mind S7 that much truth be told but I'm sure it's never coming back.
I don't know if I would discount Thundercats or Samurai 7 showing up in the back half of the block sometime at random.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I am confident we will never ever see any of the western shows that lapsed again. No Clone Wars, T-Cats, BtB, Symbionic Titan ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom