• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Dec14| Watch the reruns, Shinji

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Wait, explain 'nakama' to me again. I thought it was loosely translated to mean friend?

It just means true companions, the fansubbers tried to pass the word off as something that could not be translated into Enlgish conceptually when that just was not the case.

Soulflarz

Banned
I see in SAO2 theyre back to NOT using the switch mechanic whatsoever. I swear it doesnt exist in the series other than in name.

ckohler

Really funny, SAB! I especially like the Buy 1 Get 3 Free (Sango's expression is great) and the May Plushie. Also, $99 is a steal for the GL boxset in the US!

This week’s theme was: Eyecatches! So many eyecatches! If only this was a normal thing. I don’t think DeMarco realizes how much we love those little bits of animation and miss them when they’re gone. Now, on with the reviews:

Attack on Titan - Another good episode (and mildly funny) before the show went total doom and gloom. Potato Girl (Sasha) adds some much appreciated, light-hearted comedy. I can’t remember what eventually happened to her. We also got a lot of character introductions; Annie in particular. That final two minutes was as epic as the first viewing. I’m looking forward to next episode’s action.

DBZ: Kai - I’m really enjoying this. The pacing feels perfect. It’s been so long since I’ve seen this show that it actually feels new to me. For example, I remember that Piccolo trained Gohan and that Goku had to run along Snake Way but I have long forgotten the actual details of what happens. So, it’s a lot more fun to watch again than I was expecting. Will King Kai still have the same voice as before or is it different?

Naruto: Shippuden - Most of the episode was typical, bland Shippuden with some added “oh look at how awesome the Sauce is”. The last five minutes, however, was actually pretty interesting. It’s rare to see them behaving like actual ninjas and sneaking around. Yamato’s wood power is crazy versatile (seems almost OP). So much I wonder why he even brought the others.

One Piece - A fantastic flashback. I never saw these old episodes (I knew about Arlong and knew Luffy rescued Nami). So even though I’m only getting little bits and pieces I still found it very engaging and moving when Nami was crying. Once Luffy showed up and put his hat on her, it was so manly and epic. Arlong was more of a dick that I expected him to be. Loved it. That ending short though, I don’t get it. :/ It was just too bizarre.

Gurren Lagann - One of the best episodes. Probably my favorite shot in the whole series is when Gurren Lagann turns around to face Lordgenome’s city sized mecha to see it looming over with a sky full of gunman just as the music vocals kick in. It’s was just too epic. Almost every character had a moment to shine in this episode… well… except for Viral. Lol, poor Viral.

Inuyasha: Final Act - The pacing seems to have slowed to a good pace now. I’m a sucker for comedy episodes and this was really fun. I’m really surprised that Sango is now so attracted to Miroku enough for a butt grab and a blush while surrounded by a makeshift Miroku harem. Did he win her over at some point? Don’t feel bad Shippo, I too was fooled by that old-man fox demon who disguised himself as a young girl. A fun episode.

Raxus

Surprised I made the top 20 considering how bogged down with tests I have been as of late.

Great stuff SAB I love the bargins! I think I will have one of GL and Shippuden. You'd have to pay me to get Eren (stay losing Eren).

Soulflarz

Banned
Please use tags or keep the SAO II talk in that thread

B-but this isnt a spoiler whatsoever.
I'm trying to think of a single time in the entire SAO series (I think they did it twice in the toonami run, but thats it? The fight where they introduced switching, and once in the ice cave I think- And i cant say they stuck to it) where they used the switch mechanics they claim existed in aincrad.

B-but this isnt a spoiler whatsoever.
I'm trying to think of a single time in the entire SAO series (I think they did it twice in the toonami run, but thats it? The fight where they introduced switching, and once in the ice cave I think- And i cant say they stuck to it) where they used the switch mechanics they claim existed in aincrad.

What isn't a spoiler to you might be to somebody else. The rule of thumb is to use tags when discussing future events in a show we all know is going to come to toonami or to just talk about it in the official thread, especially for a new series. I don't think
the lack of a switch mechanic
in part 2 ruins anything in the story but at the same time there's already a dedicated thread you can talk about that stuff in untagged.

Soulflarz

Banned
What isn't a spoiler to you might be to somebody else. The rule of thumb is to use tags when discussing future events in a show we all know is going to come to toonami or to just talk about it in the official thread, especially for a new series. I don't think
the lack of a switch mechanic
in part 2 ruins anything in the story but at the same time there's already a dedicated thread you can talk about that stuff in untagged.

Err I wasnt meaning it as a reference to any specific part of the show. You can change my post to read "The switch mechanics never used in SAO, is it -_-"

Anywaaays, got it. Dont see a point in dragging this out :p

The fact there isn't a switching mechanic in SAO s2 isn't really a spoiler when the mechanic itself was basically dropped in season 1. Anyone crying about that being a spoiler are the same kind of fools who cried spoiler about Thanos being in Guardians of the Galaxy or saying InuYasha gets a new sword upgrade in Final Act when you can see it clearly in the OP every single episode on Toonami. If someone went into actual detail like saying what the scene was where Soul-Chan realized switching had been completely removed or what Thanos did in GotG or what the sword upgrade is/how InuYasha gets it, that's a spoiler that should be tagged. People cry spoiler way too much in this day and age to the point where discussion can be hampered because everyone wants to cry about spoilers, this is doubly annoying when the spoiler is properly tagged and people get upset by them just existing.

The fact there isn't a switching mechanic in SAO s2 isn't really a spoiler when the mechanic itself was basically dropped in season 1. Anyone crying about that being a spoiler are the same kind of fools who cried spoiler about Thanos being in Guardians of the Galaxy or saying InuYasha gets a new sword upgrade in Final Act when you can see it clearly in the OP every single episode on Toonami. If someone went into actual detail like saying what the scene was where Soul-Chan realized switching had been completely removed or what Thanos did in GotG or what the sword upgrade is/how InuYasha gets it, that's a spoiler that should be tagged. People cry spoiler way too much in this day and age to the point where discussion can be hampered because everyone wants to cry about spoilers, this is doubly annoying when the spoiler is properly tagged and people get upset by them just existing.

1. There was no 'crying,' just making a point to remind people to use tags but if that's not going to be enforced I won't even worry about it.

2. Chill out with calling people fools. The condecending attitude and stealth jabs are getting annoying. Thanks.

1. There was no 'crying,' just making a point to remind people to use tags but if that's not going to be enforced I won't even worry about it.

2. Chill out with calling people fools. The condecending attitude and stealth jabs are getting annoying. Thanks.

tumblr_nfksvdjT6A1sgux3io1_1280.png

The people who cried spoiler for Thanos in GotG were foolish and that thread was a microcosm of everything that is wrong with spoiler culture and people who cry about it.

todd360

We haven't seen Hellsing Ultimate 9.

or Hellsing Ultimate 10.

or Sacred Star of Milos.

or that Broly movie.

Half the month, sure, but not the entire month. & at the very least, they're the good movies. We could've been unlucky to have Shamballa double up with Milos for a night like with Eva 1.11 & 2.22.

Oh I thought full metal was the crappy older movie for some reason. Didn't realize that the dbz movie wasn't already shown too.

Levyne

Banned
The prevailing theory is that Hellsing 9 and 10 were really expensive (just released dubbed last month, right?) and sapped whatever funds they had set aside for movies. Plus it will be neat to see Milos again with toonamigaf this time. It wasn't an excellent movie but certainly better than the alternative.

Broly I guess is...broly. Eh. It will do fine in the ratings and was likely fairly cheap so I can deal. Not the worst dbz movie.

Oh I thought full metal was the crappy older movie for some reason. Didn't realize that the dbz movie wasn't already shown too.

Broly and Milos I think have shown on Adult Swim before but never on the new Toonami block (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and I imagine both were fairly cheap to get so it works for me.

daveo42

Banned
The prevailing theory is that Hellsing 9 and 10 were really expensive (just released dubbed last month, right?) and sapped whatever funds they had set aside for movies. Plus it will be neat to see Milos again with toonamigaf this time. It wasn't an excellent movie but certainly better than the alternative.

Broly I guess is...broly. Eh. It will do fine in the ratings and was likely fairly cheap so I can deal. Not the worst dbz movie.

Broly is one of the better action oriented DBZ films, while the 2nd is a bit more rounded. I wouldn't be surprised that Hellsing 9 and 10 were a bit more expensive, though the last few episodes were just recently dubbed right?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Broly and Milos I think have shown on Adult Swim before but never on the new Toonami block (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and I imagine both were fairly cheap to get so it works for me.
I never recall Milos airing on Adult Swim (hell, neither of the FMA movies from what I recall) & from what I'm seeing, neither did Broly. Cooler's Revenge was the first DBZ movie/special that aired on Adult Swim/Toonami. We did get FOUR Inuyasha movies & two Bleach ones on Adult Swim, though.

I feel like it's time for a new Q&A. Maybe we'll get another before the end of the year or DeMarco will hop on reddit to answer questions again. I want an update on the intruder and am curious to see what they'll be rotating into the back end of the block.

I never recall Milos airing on Adult Swim (hell, neither of the FMA movies from what I recall) & from what I'm seeing, neither did Broly. Cooler's Revenge was the first DBZ movie/special that aired on Adult Swim/Toonami. We did get FOUR Inuyasha movies & two Bleach ones on Adult Swim, though.

Aren't there only 4 InuYasha movies? And I really thought Broly had aired either as part of Toonami or on AS at some point in the past considering it's for whatever reason the most popular film.

I feel like it's time for a new Q&A. Maybe we'll get another before the end of the year or DeMarco will hop on reddit to answer questions again. I want an update on the intruder and am curious to see what they'll be rotating into the back end of the block.

What else do they have that they can rotate in? IGPX is like the only show I can think of that they have to air that isn't currently on the block. I feel like we'll see FMA:B, Samurai Jack, Cowboy Bebop, and Space Dandy rerun for a long time, probably the same with Gits SAC and Gits 2nd gig. Switch out Big O S2 for IGPX makes sense after that unless they can get something SUPER cheap I can't see any of the other back half shows leaving. FMA:B is the only one they don't actually own in some capacity so I guess that could eventually leave for a cheaper show.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Nah, we got Shamballa last year because DeMarco said it was "unfinished business" or something. Thankfully, I think they knew everyone wanted Milos since we're getting it this year. But yes, both Eva movies, Summer Wars, & Akira are repeats, but I don't mind. Aside from maybe Akira, I'll rewatch them all. This'll be about the 4th time I've seen Summer Wars.

Only movie from last year that didn't repeat is Trigun: Badlands Rumble, which is strange because that's also Funimation so they most likely still could've gotten the rights.

Aren't there only 4 InuYasha movies? And I really thought Broly had aired either as part of Toonami or on AS at some point in the past considering it's for whatever reason the most popular film.
Yup, so I guess AS aired ALL the films. & as for DBZ, from what I'm seeing, these were the movies that aired back in the old Toonami days:

- Bardock – The Father of Goku
- Cooler's Revenge (only old DBZ movie to re-air on new Toonami)
- Dead Zone
- Fusion Reborn
- Lord Slug
- Return of Cooler
- History of Trunks
- The Tree of Might
- The World's Strongest
- Wrath of the Dragon

Nah, we got Shamballa last year because DeMarco said it was "unfinished business" or something. Thankfully, I think they knew everyone wanted Milos since we're getting it this year. But yes, both Eva movies, Summer Wars, & Akira are repeats, but I don't mind. Aside from maybe Akira, I'll rewatch them all. This'll be about the 4th time I've seen Summer Wars.

Only movie from last year that didn't repeat is Trigun: Badlands Rumble, which is strange because that's also Funimation so they most likely still could've gotten the rights.

I think it's also because it did the worst ratings wise (Gucci correct me if I'm wrong) and it's actually the newest movie of the bunch so perhaps it cost the most?

Badlands Rumble 2010
Summer Wars 2009
Eva 2.22 2009
FMA: CoS 2005
Akira 1988

Sacred Star of Milos is actually now the newest movie having come out originally in 2011 if we ignore Hellsing Ultimate 9/10. I wonder if Milos is actually a more expensive movie then we give it credit for with how new it is.

LOLDSFAN

Eh if that's the case then they should have just passed on movie month. I'd rather have One Piece and Shippuden catch up than have old movies just for the sake of a one year tradition.

Anyway I'll most likely have a low post count in December since I'll probably skip Summer Wars, Akira, etc...

Levyne

Banned
Eh if that's the case then they should have just passed on movie month. I'd rather have One Piece and Shippuden catch up than have old movies just for the sake of a one year tradition.

Anyway I'll most likely have a low post count in December since I'll probably skip Summer Wars, Akira, etc...

Movie month also serves as a buffer of sorts for low winter holiday ratings. More than just held for sake of tradition.

Seda

Who hasn't seen Summer Wars? I know ckohler said he didn't.

The One Piece episode last week ... Arlong Park might have been better than I remembered it even.

Gurren Lagann definitely felt like a finale - good episode. I think I see Cwarrior was talking about when he said the cast felt bloated and that there might be an excessive amount of focus on Simon. Not saying it's necessarily an issue, but I see where he's coming from anyway. Still curious what / if they are going to do anything with Viral - he's gotten a fair amount of screen-time separate from the main group only to be a joke once and again.

What else do they have that they can rotate in? IGPX is like the only show I can think of that they have to air that isn't currently on the block.

FLCL

I think it's also because it did the worst ratings wise (Gucci correct me if I'm wrong) and it's actually the newest movie of the bunch so perhaps it cost the most?

Badlands Rumble 2010
Summer Wars 2009
Eva 2.22 2009
FMA: CoS 2005
Akira 1988

Sacred Star of Milos is actually now the newest movie having come out originally in 2011 if we ignore Hellsing Ultimate 9/10. I wonder if Milos is actually a more expensive movie then we give it credit for with how new it is.

Trigun actually did the second best going by averages, but it was also the shortest. i think it probably just boils down to Summer Wars doing the best and them really liking Akira, while having new movies available and wanting to play the Evangelion movies again since they play on 3.33 airing eventually. Trigun just kinda got the short end of the stick, i imagine.

daveo42

Banned

They don't usually air new episodes and default to movies because ratings drop off in December usually. Plus, you can get more viewers by default by showing a one off movie as opposed to running something episodic over a time with historically low viewership.

It's also the fact that a lot of people are busy/not around during the holidays (late november/december). By doing a month of movies you can help alleviate lost ratings for people being away for the holidays. It also prevents people from falling 2-4 weeks behind on shows where they'll give up and become permanently lost viewers.

Also Hellsing Ultimate 9/10 dub came out last month, so I imagine they had to pay a pretty penny for Funimation to yield and let them air the two episodes so close to it's release date. If they still have access to the other films as reruns to try and help alleviate the cost of Hellsing Ultimate 9/10 I'm all for it. Akira in particular was such a "wait... what is happening" film that I'd gladly see it again.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh yeah, so I think this is a given & most of us know, but just because some of the movies are repeats from last year, we should still be careful on spoilers & such for those who haven't this year.

Same goes for the new movies. I won't spoil/hint at Milos, but I haven't seen Broly, so equivalent exchange, please.

Also yes Dec. is movie month since ratings tend to be lower so they play it safe by not losing fans by airing the episodes during the month which people might not be able to watch, then be lost when they come back in Jan, like Bass said.

That would also explain why both Eva movies are playing during the final week, since people will probably still be on holiday break/recovering from Xmas, so might as well show repeat movies instead of something new.

Raxus

It's been a while but I have finally watched the whole block minus some repeats.

DBZ Kai

We have the opening out of the way now behold how fast this series can really move with filler out of the way. Lots of set up episodes tonight.

Naruto Shippuden

Yamato stuck his seed into Naruto and Sakura and started poking his wood into cracks. If it wasn't for you guys I would have been bored to tears by this episode.

One Piece

It was recap so it is more or less disqualified this week but the straw hat theater was amusing albeit the weakest of the bunch so far IMO. Arlong Park holds up strong to this day even if it had to cut some great moments out of the arc.

Gurren Lagaan

The hype is real. Fuck your mech I am going to punch you in the face. DRILL TO THE CHEST! Everyone got a great moment in this episode and the fight was fantastic. I consider 3 episodes of GL godlike status this, Kamina's death, and a future episode. Not going to lie though. Next few episodes are going to be rough if memory serves.

Final Act

I have mix feelings on this one. On one hand it gives us some breathing room after GOTTA GO FAST episodes 1 and 2 but man what a shitty episode to go out on after the emotional gut punch that is episode 2. Secretly I was hoping Shippo would get a power up to be useful in the final act, alas. At least this didn't get stretched out several episodes. I did laugh at some of the gags so at least there is that. Okay episode.

Ghost in the Shell

Another exposition dump episode albeit a somewhat more entertaining one than DBZ thanks to suicide bombers. Batou is at his best here, heck most of my favorite GitS episodes involve him. We learn more about the individual eleven but I imagine for most newbies (like myself) it will take a while to unpack all the information.

Samurai Jack

On one hand the art in this episode is beautiful. On the other, what is this a blaxploitation film? It was a tad too jarring for my taste. I was half expecting the other Samurai to call Jack a 'Jive Turkey'. The action was pretty good and we even got a bit of Aku although he quite literally phoned this one in. Another alright episode that could have been better if they just got rid of the annoying side character. I do agree that towards the end a ton of what Jack was saying was nonsense and not advice.

Rankings!

DRILLED TO THE HEAVENS
Gurran Lagaan

Good
Ghost in the Shell

Okay
DBZ Kai
Final Act
Samurai Jack
Naruto Shippuden (with commentary)

Bad

Naruto Shippuden (without commentary)

Old Lady tier?

One Piece
Halo the Master Chief Collection Online

See you all for a month of movies!

Gurren Lagann definitely felt like a finale - good episode. I think I see Cwarrior was talking about when he said the cast felt bloated and that there might be an excessive amount of focus on Simon. Not saying it's necessarily an issue, but I see where he's coming from anyway. Still curious what / if they are going to do anything with Viral - he's gotten a fair amount of screen-time separate from the main group only to be a joke once and again.

FLCL

If anything I'm kind of surprised at how under utilized the cast is in Gurren Lagann, Yoko in particular is supposedly the female lead of the series but she's been completely eclipsed by Nia to the fact where she feels like a minor character who hasn't done anything significant since the beach episode. Outside of Kitan and the black siblings none of the other supporting characters really get any kind of significant screen time outside of doing there token role on the main ship like you'd see in these kinds of mech series (engineer, turret guy, etc). We really mostly focus on Simon, Nia, and JYB and JYB is only there because someone has to pilot GL with Simon. Also the reason there are so many minor support character is clearly so they can make the finale a bigger mech battle spectacle. Maybe if they tried to give every minor character a 1 on 1 fight scene ala Bleach I'd complain about bloating.

And FLCL is only 6 episodes (12 if you reair it once) it really doesn't fix the issue of "what do they have to show in the bottom half of the block". Say what you will about Beware the Batman but it could have joined SBT in the rotation of cheap/old shows to give the bottom of the line up some spice but both are gone forever :|

Trigun actually did the second best going by averages, but it was also the shortest. i think it probably just boils down to Summer Wars doing the best and them really liking Akira, while having new movies available and wanting to play the Evangelion movies again since they play on 3.33 airing eventually

Hmm, probably because it cost so much because it was new/short is why they didn't pay to replay it. I do agree 100% that they're probably replaying the eva films to get us ready for the inevitable airing of 3.33 next year.

Watched half and fell asleep last year so I'm in the new camp I guess

EDIT: As for the back end, I'd like to see Brotherhood retired while they bring back IGPX. Re-run Big O and GitS. Replace Bebop with SBT or run it again, I don't really care.

daveo42

Banned

The One Piece episode last week ... Arlong Park might have been better than I remembered it even.

I haven't seen Summer Wars either. Loved the art style from the preview they showed last night.

Arlong Park is the best East Blue arc and one of the best arcs in the entire series up to this point. It was also one of the major points in the story that showed One Piece was something more than a regular shounen manga/anime. Personally, it's one arc that is always as good, if not better than I originally remembered.

Also wanted to comment on how stupid the whole seed plot line was in Naruto Shippuden last night

So Yamato didn't trust Sai because of what the Hokage said, okay I can follow that so far, so he decided to bug his food and his clothing with seeds when he stopped at hot springs as a precaution. First problem with this is unless this seed is super strong it's going to digest in Sai's stomach, and even if it was strong enough not to it's been multiple days since he swallowed the seed he's probably pooped it out at this point. Further putting seeds in his clothing with how fast they move and how little Sai wears would have probably fallen out during any of the high speed ninja stuff or if Sai felt something weird and threw it away. So already this power is completely stupid and makes no sense, but when why does he need Naruto or Sakura to eat the seed? I guess so that they don't accidentally drop/lose them but it was clearly good enough that it let you track Sai down so why not just put it in Naruto/Sakura's clothing as well instead of having them eat it? Also you know the bad guys want Naruto and that Naruto is a lose cannon with the 9 tails chakra so why no bug his meal/clothing as well back at the hot springs in case something goes wrong. Also if he had already bugged Sai and could track him with chakra alone why the need to have a wood clone follow them? Also why was the wood clone fooled by the fake Sai bomb if he knew it couldn't possibly be Sai as the seed wasn't in that one? On the flip if the seed was on that fake ones clothing then he would have lost Sai after that point. Heck why bother with the wood clone at all just follow them once everyone has recovered the bad guys won't have any idea you're tracking them with the magic locating seeds until it's too late.

God this series is stupid

Watched half and fell asleep last year so I'm in the new camp I guess

EDIT: As for the back end, I'd like to see Brotherhood retired while they bring back IGPX. Re-run Big O and GitS. Replace Bebop with SBT or run it again, I don't really care.

They lost the rights to air SBT at the same time they lost the rights to air Beware the Bat so it's never coming back. Really all they have left that they could reair that we know of is FLCL and IGPX.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I wish I had the time to rewatch Arlong Park so I could see it un-4Kids-ified.

*checks to see how many episodes it is* 15 episodes? That's not TOO bad, I guess. Maybe I was thinking it was longer on the grounds I had to watch the entire damn Skypiea arc.

Anyone have a link to the halo review?

There was no review it was basically 4 scenes of "hey we're playing Halo 1/2/3/4 campaign co-op and it's a lot of fun" with footage of the two characters slowly walking forward doing nothing. It was so bizarre that Microsoft would pay Toonami to basically advertise their game and show NOTHING of the game. Outside of seeing Halo 2 switch from classic graphics to new graphics there was nothing to be gained from it.

Also wanted to comment on how stupid the whole seed plot line was in Naruto Shippuden last night

So Yamato didn't trust Sai because of what the Hokage said, okay I can follow that so far, so he decided to bug his food and his clothing with seeds when he stopped at hot springs as a precaution. First problem with this is unless this seed is super strong it's going to digest in Sai's stomach, and even if it was strong enough not to it's been multiple days since he swallowed the seed he's probably pooped it out at this point. Further putting seeds in his clothing with how fast they move and how little Sai wears would have probably fallen out during any of the high speed ninja stuff or if Sai felt something weird and threw it away. So already this power is completely stupid and makes no sense, but when why does he need Naruto or Sakura to eat the seed? I guess so that they don't accidentally drop/lose them but it was clearly good enough that it let you track Sai down so why not just put it in Naruto/Sakura's clothing as well instead of having them eat it? Also you know the bad guys want Naruto and that Naruto is a lose cannon with the 9 tails chakra so why no bug his meal/clothing as well back at the hot springs in case something goes wrong. Also if he had already bugged Sai and could track him with chakra alone why the need to have a wood clone follow them? Also why was the wood clone fooled by the fake Sai bomb if he knew it couldn't possibly be Sai as the seed wasn't in that one? On the flip if the seed was on that fake ones clothing then he would have lost Sai after that point. Heck why bother with the wood clone at all just follow them once everyone has recovered the bad guys won't have any idea you're tracking them with the magic locating seeds until it's too late.

God this series is stupid

I think it does at least make sense to have the wood clone follow so it can actually see what's going on.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah, it was really bad. Using toonami bumpers to advertise seems like it could be great, if mildly scummy, but they didn't use the format well at all.

On the plus side I think the fact that a 6.5 hour late night action cartoon block is being targeted by MS for advertising purposes shows that toonami is doing very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom