• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Dec14| Watch the reruns, Shinji

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Honestly, I think I'd be more annoyed with the eyecatches being removed, but I understand the fact they're there to indicate that the commercial break is done, & we have TOM doing that, so I'm fine with it since I understand if they were to cut something due to time, it'd be the things that aren't actually part of the episode.

Soulflarz

Banned
Honestly, I think I'd be more annoyed with the eyecatches being removed, but I understand the fact they're there to indicate that the commercial break is done, & we have TOM doing that, so I'm fine with it since I understand if they were to cut something due to time, it'd be the things that aren't actually part of the episode.

He has a point, a double bump seems odd

Jarate

Banned
Eyecatch should only exist for Gurren Lagann anyway.

Whats a short good series that could replace GL. That timeslot has had good shows for a while

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I have to give AS/Toonami credit for actually respecting their viewers.
By that I mean, they won't do something as stupid as airing Dragonball Evolution.
See, Nickelodeon and Nicktoons regularly air Shyamalan's The Last Airbender. Whoever is running Nickelodeon's scheduling, is a total sadist. No kid should be subjected to that movie.

I have to give AS/Toonami credit for actually respecting their viewers.
By that I mean, they won't do something as stupid as airing Dragonball Evolution.
See, Nickelodeon and Nicktoons regularly air Shyamalan's The Last Airbender. Whoever is running Nickelodeon's scheduling, is a total sadist. No kid should be subjected to that movie.

Dragonball evolution would be a fantastic group watch with Toonamigaf and the Toonami Tumblr tag.

Whats a short good series that could replace GL. That timeslot has had good shows for a while

If only Aniplex USA had another dubbed show made by the creators of Gurren Lagann...

Eyecatch should only exist for Gurren Lagann anyway.

I've said it before, but Jormungand will be the perfect Toonami. Of course that may be better suited for the Hellsing/Black Lagoon spot.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Theres ANOTHER version?!

.......OPENING SPOILERS FOR DBZ KAI.

Each boxset has an opening sung by a different member of the cast and the final one is an ensemble of all of them. Nick wisely only used the best one, the one sung by Ed Elric.

Soulflarz

Banned
.......OPENING SPOILERS FOR DBZ KAI.

Each boxset has an opening sung by a different member of the cast and the final one is an ensemble of all of them. Nick wisely only used the best one, the one sung by Ed Elric.

So youre telling me nick outdid toonami. what

BBboy20

Jesus, self-mutilation; you know, for kids! But god, how risky and ballsy would it be if somebody thought of just airing this on US prime-time then do the usual censor for kids route in 2004?

But god, why isn't this show buried in Emmys, especially for something that appears to be that early in the series(or just for that Theater Piece)? If this was a much somber show, Luffy would have just went to the big cheese then also yell out his feelings first. Somehow Oda made a goofy concept and somehow Legitimized it without sacrificing the wackiness of it all.

Standing with your arms are cross-tucked when badass shit happens is the most baller thing you can do. My 20 year old self didn't realize this back then, sadly. Also, before Bayonetta 2 wallpapers came around, I've basically been collecting those eyecatches and making them my wallpapers thanks to Windows 7's slideshow option for the desktop screen.

Yeah, when did Sango and Miraku switch roles?

I'll admit, Ground Zeroes would be a good base for a SAC game, though probably more limited in scope but being much more capable all while wearing a sneaking suit in the rain and sneaking around while equiped with a BIG ASS RAILGUN on the roof tops of Neo-Tokyo would be pretty dope. Oh yeah, apparently there a FPS free-to-play GITS game that uses the SAC title despite not appearing to be from SAC. Shooting looks intense but maybe it plays like shit...and now I'm reminded of Neo-Tokyo the mod game...

I'll admit, I do miss Bayonetta 2 commercials while all these bloated AAA games keep staying in the spotlight. ;-;

SAC was about refuges which then gave to Big O which then transferred rain to Jack. Also,I really liked that Jack episode. Though, going back to O: I'm a bit surprised Alex let go then like defeated or behind bars or the fact Roger is allowing Foul to be rebuilt. Maybe he can't or something but usually the plot would have to make the villain earn his/her way back to villainy.

Also, apparently the WiiU uses the mobile version of GAF and apparently it often make added quotes disappear. Not like it mattered tonight as the thread closed. >_>

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hah, imagine if at the end, they actually did get married.

Even better, Miroku is all "HEY so Naraku's finally defeated, so you wanna actually bare my child now" & Miroku Jr. is born because Sango actually let him do it.

Hah, imagine if at the end, they actually did get married.

Even better, Miroku is all "HEY so Naraku's finally defeated, so you wanna actually bare my child now" & Miroku Jr. is born because Sango actually let him do it.

Miroku Jr. turns out to look like Kohaku

daveo42

Banned
BRING s-CRY-d BACK TO TOONAMI!

This would be a fun rewatch.

tumblr_mgklhaV4po1qfsvizo1_500.gif

Soulflarz

Banned
Persona Q has Jojo poses >.>

Andd got to 249 in OP :D
I made a significant dent tonight, needless to say. I just wish that the pacing was better. Not much at all has happened for the amount of the show I saw today. Anyways, about half a day of runtime left. Thank God. Then I can watch shorter anime again. Oh, and watch OP with you guys!

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
It just means true companions, the fansubbers tried to pass the word off as something that could not be translated into Enlgish conceptually when that just was not the case.

I think the problem is there's nothing that you can put in that particular scene, with the way the line is structured, that adequately matches what "nakama" actually means (which doesn't mean it should be left as is, just that it's the sort of thing that does change meaning a little bit in translation, and you basically just have to be ok with the fact that you're conveying a slightly different meaning from what was said in the native language).

The word nakama itself doesn't mean "friend" at all really (or, rather, it CAN mean "friend" but does not necessarily have to). Nakama is a fairly generic word that implies that you belong to the same small group of people who are bound together by something. The kanji used for naka in this context means "relationship" while the ma means "space" or "interval." So if you're looking at it written, it essentially means "the space within which a relationship between two people takes place." Two people who happen to work for the same company are "nakama." Two people who play on the same baseball team are "nakama." Two people who are both police officers are "nakama." Two people who are lifelong best friends are also "nakama."

Luffy uses the word in a very specific manner, though, and when he uses it, he does intend to imply a particularly close relaionship between people. That's why official translations tend to use "YOU ARE MY FRIEND" for the translation of that line, even though Luffy uses the word nakama and not, say, tomodachi, mainly because any other one word translation of "nakama" comes off far too stand-offish in English. "YOU ARE MY COMRADE" just doesn't sound right, "YOU ARE MY MATE" has all kinds of connotations, and "WE ARE COLLEAGUES" is just ridiculous in context, just as a few examples.

The actual best translations I've seen of that line tend to go along the lines of "YOU'RE ONE OF US," which probably comes the closest to actually capturing the essence of what's being said, but that also changes the meaning a bit too. For one, it's less personal, as it implies a larger group than just Luffy and Nami ("You are my friend" is Luffy indicating what Nami specifically means to him, whereas "you're one of us" would be addressing what Nami means to the Straw Hat Pirates). It also sounds weirdly aggressive in English, more than it really ought to. Even though it's pretty accurate to what the word means, it doesn't really sound like something Luffy would say when phrased that way.

So...I don't really blame Kaizoku for not wanting to just translate it out as "friends." They definitely could have done a better job than just simply forcing everybody to use a relatively vague and unremarkable Japanese word, though.

tl;dr: "You are my friend" is the simplest and most natural sounding way of translating that line into English, but it doesn't necessarily address fully what's being said in the native language.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon R: Episode 59:

Not even going to pretend I cared about anything pertaining to this dull and tedious arc, I am just glad it is over, even in spite of the dark times. Just going to recommend avoid the first 13 episodes of Sailor Moon R, what a waste of time.

Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon R: Episode 60

So, we have reached this point, an episode I have been dreading since this project started and if you have been paying attention I have not hidden my feelings about this well. Indeed we have reached the debut of the cosmic nightmare given pink hair, Chibiusa, harbinger of doom, ruiner of Sailor Moon R. I suppose your feelings on Mini Yog-Solgoth is dependent on when you encountered her in the franchise, as later seasons and indeed the manga don't depict her as this bloody awful. I encountered her first in the DiC dub which actually achieved the impossible and made her even more of a little monster. I had also been wondering if my memories had been exaggerated and I am dismayed to say that, no, no they are not, at least not for the first appearance. Anyway, I am pretty sure I could ramble on for a good half hour about how The Spore is just the worst thing ever but aside from that we are introduced to the new villain group who seeks Chibiusa and indeed the Silver Crystal. This also means we are back to canon since the Silver Crystal is back into play and the villains are a group once again. Also, this episode establishes the grand tradition of Mamoru wearing terrible and hideous shirts. Right, since this the beginning of what you could call the true arc of Sailor Moon R this episode is a must watch, though try not to destroy your screen in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom