• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb14| We Kick Ass for the LORD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Clover's not tsundere
nor yandere
. She's just... Clover.

999/VLR kind of overrides archetypical traits. Though Clover is probably the one that skews closest to cliche.

Jintor

I dunno... I just can't think of applying standard behaviour-based labels in a high-stakes death game situation.
Clover's dere only comes out really when she's sure that she and her brother are safe, after all, which is a natural reaction to have in a death game, so...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I dunno... I just can't think of applying standard behaviour-based labels in a high-stakes death game situation.
Clover's dere only comes out really when she's sure that she and her brother are safe, after all, which is a natural reaction to have in a death game, so...

Quite true.
Clover leaves the impression that she's like that 24/7 though and that the crazy situations only enhance the mood swings.

yCHWXCE.gif
I'm out.

BBboy20

why we never got that chaos theroy anime we may never know o r mstick with that.

now imagine IGPOX being like Ender's Game..y ikes.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Good morning everyone. Are you all okay?

Oh my god that SAO image Zonic posted. Hilarious.

Space Dandy
Great animation with a really bizarre premise. You can tell Funimation had a ton of fun writing and dubbing this one. At first I thought they were going to be like Jar Jar, but then I realized they were just using Google Translate and became hilarious.
Also, chesticles.

Bleach
Filler girl one-shot Clone Kenpachi. Now I'm starting to understand the Sue accusations.

Shippuden
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

One Piece
Chills all over. Robin telling off Sanji and Chopper like that, oh man. Plus the first look at the mysterious CP9.

SAO
Here we go...
To be honest, the attempted rape scene isn't what pushed me over the edge. It dragged me there first, but it didn't shove me off. No, the fucking deus ex machina defeat of the villain is what did it. Kirito defeats him with help from the villain of the first arc. The villain that murdered THOUSANDS of innocent people! And instead of Kirito being angry that he's "alive", he just casually accepts and takes that Seed that was given to him without hesitation. If you want us to sympathize with fucking Heathcliff, YOU'RE DOING A BAD JOB!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Time to spend some time before studying reading SAO reactions again.

Seriously, every other Sunday, going back & reading the posts after the show has finished makes them even more hilarious.

Edit: OMG we had a member (Loco4Coco) going in fresh & having THAT be the first ever episode of the series that they saw. Best episode for meltdowns, or bestest episode?!

Time to spend some time before studying reading SAO reactions again.

Seriously, every other Sunday, going back & reading the posts after the show has finished makes them even more hilarious.

Edit: OMG we had a member (Loco4Coco) going in fresh & having THAT be the first ever episode of the series that they saw. Best episode for meltdowns, or bestest episode?!

I saw that last night and was grinning like an idiot

So, how did #intruder2 do?

LICH KING DEMARCO ‏@Clarknova1 1h
(Clears throat) #toonami fans, you are amazing. Thanks so much for working to trend #intruder2 last night. You kicked ass!

We're gonna go dark on this for a while now, and the next time you hear about #intruder2, we'll be teasing it!

In the meantime, thanks for your help. You gave us more than enough of a display of your interest, to help us make the story bigger.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The line delivery of "OH MY GOD! KAYABA?!" was fucking perfect. The voice actor totally went HAM when playing Sugou lol.

So now that the second arc is basically over I reiterate that I enjoyed the second arc over the first arc for several reasons

1- the villain while ridiculous was the perfect antagonist to perfect beater Kirito and was hilariously comical that I wanted to see Kirito punch his lights out more then boring old Heathcliff

2- I like the more story focused plot as opposed to the all over the place story telling approach of S1, I actually get a sense of progression in Fairy dance I never got in SAO

3- fairy dance seems to acknowledge just how insane things are and just continues to try and one up with self with hilarious over the top shit

SAO was a way better game and had a way better set up, but in terms of how this anime handled it I preferred the second arc. Both are god awful though so it's basically like saying I like a kick in the ass over a punch to the gutt

Conan-san

So now that the second arc is basically over I reiterate that I enjoyed the second arc over the first arc for several reasons

1- the villain while ridiculous was the perfect antagonist to perfect beater Kirito and was hilariously comical that I wanted to see Kirito punch his lights out more then boring old Heathcliff

2- I like the more story focused plot as opposed to the all over the place story telling approach of S1, I actually get a sense of progression in Fairy dance I never got in SAO

3- fairy dance seems to acknowledge just how insane things are and just continues to try and one up with self with hilarious over the top shit

SAO was a way better game and had a way better set up, but in terms of how this anime handled it I preferred the second arc. Both are god awful though so it's basically like saying I like a kick in the ass over a punch to the gutt

I could never get over how they chose what scenes to animate. DIO being an asshole and being DIO there? I'm more or less fine with it, we've established he's a complete piece of shit and is in dire need of getting his face rearranged so him doing that is, if nothing else, in character for him.

That scene from a few weeks back and what wasn't animated on Kirito/Leafa's side? I'm still rather annoyed about that given it's only given more ammo to the clowns.

Raxus

Toonami |Feb14| Swapping one Oni-Chan for another
Toonami |Feb14| Kirito spreads his seed all over Toonami'
Toonami |Feb14| Feeling Blue SAO is gone

Hey Sugu, why you feeling so blue? Just cuz'(in)?

I have a million of these.

Toonami |Feb14| SAO is done, call an Exorcist

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
As if to Troll Toonami Fans, everyones favorite harem incestuous GAT-LIKE Hero gets announced as a playable character in Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax!

Love the Bleach , Samurai Jack, FMA, Gits, ones and colored Inuyasha and Soul Eater are great.
But I believe the Space Dandy artwork is the best yet. :p

It BETTER BE! LoL. I enjoyed the GiTS one too, so glad to see t mentioned, too. I imagine Batou's reaction to the Tachikoma was shared by many a person on this block in a variety of situations...

Seda

I'll never get the whole "buu buu too clean" bitching about FMA:B like crap did you pay attention to the themes or story at all or did you just expect more dark angst cause of fma03? What on Earth would you change? Have Mustang not get his eyes back despite it being established earlier about Marcoh's philosopher's stone? Have ed/winry not together despite all the build up to it? Have ed and al not go on another adventure? Its the perfect ending for the way the story was written and the ultimate lesson of

"Nothing can be gained without pain and sacrifice, but if you endure that pain and walk away, you'll become a stronger person" this even ties back to the first chapter of the manga (3rd or 4th episode of brotherhood) the whole "stand on your own two legs" that Ed tells Rose

This too clean crap just needs to stop, it's almost as bad as SAO fans defending SAO as being anything but crap. It makes me feel like you didn't watch the series at all and just read the ending synopsis online without experiencing the journey.

It does NOT need to stop just because someone disagrees with you. Personally, I love of lot of what I call the 'structure' of the show. How and when plot points are presented, and how the narrative builds from beginning to end. Nothing is introduced too randomly, and the plot twists and turns are generally paced well. Almost every scene feels important and adds something to the show, it's efficient that way. It's probably my favorite anime (and I've always preferred it to 03 even though I generally liked 2003 /outside/ of the ending). But when the plot gets to the last ten episodes or so, to me, it feels like the narrative starts going through a checklist. Each character gets their moment, the Homunculus start to fall one-by-one, have Mustang get revenge on Envy, have Scar accept his brother's method (and arm), Ling gets 'immortality', Hohenheim gets to be with Trisha in death, finally have Ed/Al get their bodies back. It's just a tad too pro forma, to the extent it feels rigid and a little unbelievable. I wouldn't say any of the individual 'bows' that tie up these things are bad resolutions or anything like that, it's more how things are all wrapped up so....successively.

Let me stress one thing. I don't think the ending in place is poor or unfitting. It just feels too exacting to me.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
i generally try not to do the whole "Your favourite anime is shiiiiiiit" thing, but if you like Sword Art Online for anything other than how terrible it is there is something wrong with you. I don't just mean you enjoy weird shit or something, hell, I enjoy a lot of weird shit. You've just got to be missing something in your head if you can't see how horrendously flawed it is.

It's the equivalent of humans willingly eating pig shit.

Whoa now. I like SAO. I guess I eat pig shit.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Toonami |Feb14| SAO is done, call an Exorcist
Perfect.

& holy crap, I LOVE the coincidence of Kirito being confirmed playable for Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax after last night's episode. I can use Team Durarara to take down Team SAO in Green Hill Zone.

It does NOT need to stop just because someone disagrees with you. Personally, I love of lot of what I call the 'structure' of the show. How and when plot points are presented, and how the narrative builds from beginning to end. Nothing is introduced too randomly, and the plot twists and turns are generally paced well. Almost every scene feels important and adds something to the show, it's efficient that way. It's probably my favorite anime (and I've always preferred it to 03 even though I generally liked 2003 /outside/ of the ending). But when the plot gets to the last ten episodes or so, to me, it feels like the narrative starts going through a checklist. Each character gets their moment, the Homunculus start to fall one-by-one, have Mustang get revenge on Envy, have Scar accept his brother's method (and arm), Ling gets 'immortality', Hohenheim gets to be with Trisha in death, finally have Ed/Al get their bodies back. It's just a tad too pro forma, to the extent it feels rigid and a little unbelievable. I wouldn't say any of the individual 'bows' that tie up these things are bad resolutions or anything like that, it's more how things are all wrapped up so....successively.

Let me stress one thing. I don't think the ending in place is poor or unfitting. It just feels too exacting to me.

But isn't that exactly how a well planned out and structured story should end? How is the story ending how it should end a problem? "Its too much of a checklist" what should have happened? Should someone not have achieved what they wanted? What did you want different out of the ending? For it not to have "checklisted" like you claim? Should it have just dropped some characters? Or had someone besides the villains have a bad end for the sake of everything not tying up neatly? Everyone gains something in the end after great hardship but still is forced to give something up for it. That doesn't make it unbelievable it makes it well planned from the beginning.

Seda

I've gotten a pair of PMs in the last weeks, exclaiming how some members of ToonamiGAF has been behaving with respect to criticizing shows. Sword Art Online is one but not just that, so this statement is more general.

Criticizing shows is one thing, insulting fans of the show is something else entirely. People will read those comments and will be offended by them. To them, you are coming across as assholes. Even the K-on thread found some of you guys as mean-spirited during that tangent last week (unrelated to the pms). I'd like to think I know some of your guys' personalities, and I'd like to think that some of the comments made are exaggerated ribbing (playground teasing for fun) but clearly that's not how some people are reading it. I'm probably not blameless here either. I /really/ don't like Sword Art Online, and maybe I've said assholish things without realizing it. Even though I may not acknowledge it initially, I've probably offended somebody.

People feel unwelcomed, are afraid to post, and are uneasy simply reading the thread. I don't want to be a part of a unwelcoming group of people. There are lots of shows on the block, and no one is going to enjoy every one. There are going to be disagreements. There might be some shows that you are in the minority opinion, and you probably don't want to feel ostracized because you aren't falling in line.

This thread doesn't need to be an echo chamber, and you are free to point out what doesn't gel with you. But when it comes down to comments that /aren't/ talking about the fiction and more on the fanbase, you crossed a line.

Raxus

While I can't speak for everyone I can say I may come across as bullish some times but I always try to articulate my points clearly. I know I did a huge rant earlier about why I have such a distaste for SAO and I hope others would chime in if they disagree in some fashion.

The last 'mean' comment I can recall was to the K-On people which I should apologize for since I don't hate k-on as much as I am indifferent to it. I usually ignore it even if it tends to creep into threads here and there.

I hope I don't scare people away from PMing me. I enjoy talking to other GAF'ers one on one.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
ToonamiGAF VS outsiders: Really, I feel like a lot of the "THIS SHOW IS CRAP AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD!" stuff gets exaggerated quite often. There's very little I find contemptable enough to go to such lengths of outright insults to the watchers over.

It's EXTREMLY EASY to see why someone could like SAO, just by being a little less cynical on some of it's elements. Most of my dislike for things in the show deal with my dislike at the direction anime in general is moving in now-a-days, rather than anything central to the show itself.

But to take that out on fans who look at the show in a different light is just poor form, and starts to speak to that "out of touch old audience hates everything new, goes to great lengths to prove such" mentality. A lot of objectionable stuff in SAO is pretty much par-the-course for much of it's viewers, and instead of being a bullet point that sticks out and insults their intelligence, it's just an expected show element that is being fulfilled in an author-unique way. Hardly something to flame over and scream about for weeks on end. I'm always happy to see someone join in on the thread that brings a well-presented, nicely worded counter-point to the usual overwhelming opinions. It's those moments, and those people that really get the conversations going, to me.

So to casual passer-bys: You're all welcome here! Come and join in with the ToonamiGAF family! It's a lot nicer and warmer than you might think on FIST OF THE FIRST GLANCE. We've really got all types in here.

FMA's Ending: I understand that the "Checklist!" ideal feels a bit too perfect, but it's hilarious to complain about a story actually sealing up it's plotholes, and giving each and every character a real resolution.

The only part I had issue with was the curing of Mustang's eyes so quickly. As much as every other character in loss goes through, Mustang gets a cure after just a short amount of time.

Perfect.

& holy crap, I LOVE the coincidence of Kirito being confirmed playable for Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax after last night's episode. I can use Team Durarara to take down Team SAO in Green Hill Zone.

Yeah, it was so perfectly timed, I first thought it was a troll photoshop, haha. But... really, such a timing! That's actually just cool.

If I could play this and J Stars Victory VS, I'd be pretty happy in my "Anime crazy fanservicey games" list, in a way that I normally don't get to experience outside of Koei Musou games now-a-days.

Seda

To bounce off your point, Raxus, a board general comment:

Don't be afraid to PM mods on anything. Questionable posts, questionable moderation, if you want clarification - heck point out obviously banworthy posts too. We get PMs all the time, don't feel like you're complaining or snitching. Even if it's unrelated to where the mod typically posts. Someone yesterday asked me to fix a malware issue (bad image host) in a thread I've never visited. It's not bothersome at all. Obviously this is a thread I post in a lot, so feel free to talk with me on anything, you guys know me more than most on the board.

The point is Seda is trying to make is to attack the show, not the fanbase. Just because you find it morally repugnant doesn't mean that it's okay to go on an abusive tirade against people who enjoy the show overall. It's in bad taste and just plain mean.

FMA's Ending: I understand that the "Checklist!" ideal feels a bit too perfect, but it's hilarious to complain about a story actually sealing up it's plotholes, and giving each and every character a real resolution.

The only part I had issue with was the curing of Mustang's eyes so quickly. As much as every other character in loss goes through, Mustang gets a cure after just a short amount of time.

I understand that though I think what Mustang truly lost was his chance to be the Fuher not his eyesight, Hhd he not gone blind he would have become the Fuher right then. Even if his blindness ended up being temporary, it probably set him back another 10-15 years on his way to becoming Fuher which is his established goal from the first time he appears in all 3 versions (manga, 03, Brotherhood).

That is one of the few changes Brotherhood made from the manga that is kind of ehh, in the manga Roy isn't studying to change Ishval, he's discussing with the doctor how a blind guy must retire and can't become Fuher and how it'll go to Grummen. Roy mentions his wish to do what Ed did but realizes it won't work for him, this is when Marcoh shows up with the stone, offering to heal him only if he agrees to reverse the policies on Ishval and help to restore it. This makes a bit more sense with how the scene plays out then how it did in the anime, both are still really good though.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Might as well post my quick thoughts so I can get back to studying java programming.

ToonamiGAF VS outsiders: Really, I feel like a lot of the "THIS SHOW IS CRAP AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD!" stuff gets exaggerated quite often. There's very little I find contemptable enough to go to such lengths of outright insults to the watchers over.

It's EXTREMLY EASY to see why someone could like SAO, just by being a little less cynical on some of it's elements. Most of my dislike for things in the show deal with my dislike at the direction anime in general is moving in now-a-days, rather than anything central to the show itself.

But to take that out on fans who look at the show in a different light is just poor form, and starts to speak to that "out of touch old audience hates everything new, goes to great lengths to prove such" mentality. A lot of objectionable stuff in SAO is pretty much par-the-course for much of it's viewers, and instead of being a bullet point that sticks out and insults their intelligence, it's just an expected show element that is being fulfilled in an author-unique way. Hardly something to flame over and scream about for weeks on end. I'm always happy to see someone join in on the thread that brings a well-presented, nicely worded counter-point to the usual overwhelming opinions. It's those moments, and those people that really get the conversations going, to me.
Had I saw this series when I was a teenager in high school, I think I would have not noticed more of the flaws & really liked this show, but now that I'm older and have a wider range of reference, I'm more enjoying this in the fact that 1.) the reactions to what happens in the show, because oh my god they're funny at times, & 2.) it's fun analyzing just what exactly doesn't work. It's one of those shows that's fascinating to watch and discuss WHY the execution doesn't work for some people.

But yes, basically, to get right to the point, I see no reason in blaming the fanbase for liking something that I don't. I don't want to stereotype/generalize a fanbase the same way I don't want people thinking I behave/believe something because I like something that they don't. If a person doesn't shove their opinion in my face "NO, YOU SHOULD/N'T LIKE THIS & YOU'RE WRONG", then that's completely fine. As long as we agree to disagree, I'm perfectly open to discuss the pros & cons of something and why one person may like it while another may not. Heck, it's really much more interesting diving into what makes a show work or not when you're more detailed.

Basically, let the fanbases enjoy their shows, games, whatever. As long as someone isn't pushing their opinion into my face, like what you like & dislike what you don't like.

Hopefully I got my point across, since I tend to have trouble finding the right words. I think Gucci said it best:

The point is Seda is trying to make is to attack the show, not the fanbase. Just because you find it morally repugnant doesn't mean that it's okay to go on an abusive tirade against people who enjoy the show overall. It's in bad taste and just plain mean.

While we're at it I'm also tired of people dismissing an opinion just because you like a certain show, I hope that stops. Saying 'well you like _____' in response to a post is not a good argument. We all have different opinions and tastes when it comes to anime but putting somebody down or judging them based off of the enjoyment they derive from a certain program seems small minded. It kind of reinforces this 'us' vs 'them' mentality I see at times in the thread which makes it hard to have a dissenting opinion for fear of ridicule/not being taken seriously. I struggle with it sometimes even though I'm one of the more outspoken regulars that generally goes against the grain. I guess this kind of ties back into the whole 'attack the argument not the fanbase' point Seda was trying to make, I hope this place doesn't seem unwelcoming to outsiders wanting to post.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
To add on to that, "you have an avatar of *whatever* therefore argument invalid!" is also rather tiresome at times. Granted, I think that happens way more outside of this thread/community than it does inside, but it goes with the whole stereotyping/generalization deal.

To add on to that, "you have an avatar of *whatever* therefore argument invalid!" is also rather tiresome at times. Granted, I think that happens way more outside of this thread/community than it does inside, but it goes with the whole stereotyping/generalization deal.

You have a FLCL avatar, you have good taste!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I hope I haven't made anyone uncomfortable!

What do I even vehemently hate to the point of berating people about it? I guess GXP...

Seda

I suppose I should clarify another thing:

Keep 'pre-block' talk in PMs. You can mention other shows when appropriate ('this plot point is similar to that one in JJBA!') but the activity itself should no longer be discussed here.

Thanks.

More hilarious SAO Twitter reactions:

Sketch ‏@Sketch1984 Jan 19
This is your brain. This is your brain on #SwordArtOnline

Caleb Payne ‏@CalebReidPayne 11h
so #SwordArtOnline is next. It is actually like top 5 of my anime favorites. SO FUCKEN EXITED! but please no incest... #Toonami #Intruder2

Sketch ‏@Sketch1984 11h
It's like a really stupid imitation of Beserk's anime ending - SwordArtOnline #Intruder2

BlackHawkOmega ‏@BlackHawkOmega 11h
MEGATRON is a despicable villain. DR. EGGMAN is a despicable villain. Sugou is a goddamn sex criminal. #SwordArtOnline

LordTerminal ‏@Lordofthesuplex 11h
KIRITO! GET OFF YOUR SPRIGGAN ASS AND WASTE THIS BITCH! #SwordArtOnline

DigiRanma ‏@DigiRanma 11h
Ok, look, rape happens and yes, there are creeps like the big bad, I get it. This is NOT how to handle the subject! #SwordArtOnline

YAMATO ‏@YAMATO_English 11h
Recording a rape.... unfortunately (or fortunately), there are people this dumb in real life. #intruder2 #SwordArtOnline

The One & Only ‏@Zezlemet 11h
And feminism marches on... #intruder2 #SwordArtOnline #Toonami

Abigail Carvajal ‏@StrawHatPirate9 11h
#SwordArtOnline NOOOO HE FUCKING DIDN'T!!!!! THAT IS IT MOTHER FUCKING BASTARD NEEDS TO DIIIIIIIE!!!!!

Shadow(human) ‏@BlackFoxness2 11h
Oh ain't no big shot now huh u basterd kirito gonna shread you basterd #SwordArtOnline

Yajirobe did WHAT?! ‏@DatDamnPR 11h
You let your naked g/f log out but you took that man's SEED?!?!?! YOU FOOL!!! #SwordArtOnline

Brett (ブレット) ‏@I3rok3n_Sword 11h
STOP CALLING HER MOMMY! YOU'RE A FUCKING AI!!! #SwordArtOnline

Metaking ‏@metaking64x 11h
WHY THE FUCK ARE WE GLORIFYING KAYABA HE BASICALLY SLAUGHTERED THOUSANDS. #SwordArtOnline Toonami

Matthew McKenzie ‏@NarcissicMe 11h
Kayaba would have fit in Marvel. He is literally a comic book evil genius. Oh, and Deus Ex Machina #SwordArtOnline #Toonami #Intruder2

Ace Trainer Chris ‏@Tsukento 11h
Remember - one episode left of #SwordArtOnline. And you don't die in real life if you died in ALO. Remember that.

Tenumi

Banned

Amen!

I hung out with friends last night and was too tired to stay up for Toonami, so I'm watching my recordings (Space Dandy through SAO, minus Bleach and Naruto S. which I didn't record). Not looking forward to SAO, though I am looking forward to it being finished. A nice, new show to get excited about should be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom