• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb14| We Kick Ass for the LORD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I should mention that dismissing someones argument because of their avatar has lead to bans in the past.
Glad to hear that type of behavior is frowned upon. It's rather annoying when I see something like a thread about a game getting censored & a person or two respond with "oh, it's the people with the *insert franchise/form of media* avatars, of course they have that opinion" or whatever. Adds nothing to the conversation and just further derails the thread, especially when others on both sides of the argument are trying to be rational.

...oh, & uh, I was hoping to stay up for Brotherhood's finale, but I doze off again & had to watch it this morning. I liked how the final episode felt like an actual epilogue instead of just "stopping".

Blue exorcist is replacing SAO correct?
Yes, then Black Lagoon will replace Soul Eater in March.

...okay, NOW I'm going back to studying java programming for a test & quiz this week. Need to take advantage of the fact I have a quiet house to myself for a few hours.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Man I underestimated how long this arc of Naruto filler is (more importantly, how long it takes to get where it is going)

The payoff later this week is going to be special though. Prepare to be...LEGIT SHOOK.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I understand that though I think what Mustang truly lost was his chance to be the Fuher not his eyesight, Hhd he not gone blind he would have become the Fuher right then. Even if his blindness ended up being temporary, it probably set him back another 10-15 years on his way to becoming Fuher which is his established goal from the first time he appears in all 3 versions (manga, 03, Brotherhood).

This is actually quite a good way to look at it; even though Grummen mentiones he's not planning to let go of the Fuher seat for a long while... I never took the idea that Mustang might have competition to actually MEAN anything. "He got his eyes back now, he's a shoe-IN! Everything ends happy, and he gets to see Riza in a miniskirt! THIS IS THE WAY!"

That is one of the few changes Brotherhood made from the manga that is kind of ehh, in the manga Roy isn't studying to change Ishval, he's discussing with the doctor how a blind guy must retire and can't become Fuher and how it'll go to Grummen. Roy mentions his wish to do what Ed did but realizes it won't work for him, this is when Marcoh shows up with the stone, offering to heal him only if he agrees to reverse the policies on Ishval and help to restore it. This makes a bit more sense with how the scene plays out then how it did in the anime, both are still really good though.

Yeah, that does sounds better, though both get the point across. Never knew the difference, so Thanks!

Great work SAB

And thanks to you as well! :)

Had I saw this series when I was a teenager in high school, I think I would have not noticed more of the flaws & really liked this show, but now that I'm older and have a wider range of reference, I'm more enjoying this in the fact that 1.) the reactions to what happens in the show, because oh my god they're funny at times, & 2.) it's fun analyzing just what exactly doesn't work. It's one of those shows that's fascinating to watch and discuss WHY the execution doesn't work for some people.

Yeah, SAO is really like that. Anime has always been, to the greater world, animation full of "Edgy for the sake of Edgy" material, and it doesn't hit me much worse than the service moments in Ninja Scroll back in the day: These pandering moments slice into the quality of the show, and make a lot of the decent moments seem stupid, because.. well "THAT" happened, and some of us are so disgusted that the creators / staff even went there. So the whole thing is ruined!

But just like how a lot of people don't really mind the blatant sexuality and overt attempts to do things in pervy ways, I'm sure much of SAO's modern fanbase looks over the creep elements in SAO in the same way. And the moments of action, and relevant-to-the-audience style romance can really deliver to those who like SAO's brand of those things.

Basically, let the fanbases enjoy their shows, games, whatever. As long as someone isn't pushing their opinion into my face, like what you like & dislike what you don't like.

Hopefully I got my point across, since I tend to have trouble finding the right words. I think Gucci said it best:

Yeah, I think this is something all should be accustomed to on an internationally-accepted Gaming forum. Talk about an umbrella that houses all types of individuals!

And I think you did a fine job at getting your point across! :)

While we're at it I'm also tired of people dismissing an opinion just because you like a certain show, I hope that stops. Saying 'well you like _____' in response to a post is not a good argument.

To add on to that, "you have an avatar of *whatever* therefore argument invalid!" is also rather tiresome at times.

It really isn't, but I never take those comments seriously. It's the equivalent to how my friend and I would end pointless conversations with hollow jabs like "Well you have funny hair!" or "Your mother.... is a revered and respected member of the community!" or something equally flat in severity.

I feel like this thread has brought out some more anger in me towards SAO then I had the first 2 times I watched it. I knew it was god awful and hilariously bad but I feel like I've had a bit more vitriol in my post during the group watch. I apologize if I've put anyone off for things I've posted here.

I don't know what to say or where to start. I can say that obviously i've called out and expressed discomfort in the past about such things , particularly with the K-on thing. As for SAO yea sure a lot of its bad perverse elements are indeed, very much common, especially in anime and many people *cannot* or *do not* have any awareness of how such things can be a problem. But I don't feel that is an excuse, I understand there are many who for a number of things separate stuff like "what effect such things have on society,creators intent (not just the original in this case but the whole animation team) , the messages the convey (it's easy to say something is mindless and isn't conveying a message, but thats almost never the case, be it good or bad) " from the internal workings of "character motivations, what is happening in story, in-story logic , etc" , but like, I can't and I wholly refuse to. So last night when I for , not the first, not the second, but for the third time, see a dude smell the hair of a chained up girl, and then lick her tears, I cannot just internalize that as "Man, that Dio/Oberon dude is a fucked up piece of shit" but instead laugh for 5 minutes in pure derision , which yes is somewhat of an overreaction, that this is not only a scene, but a scene in a *popular* anime with no care or responsibility taken in what is actually being portrayed. I can also say as a woman, that not only was this scene ridiculous but just a tad uncomfortable. But uh getting back to being less hostile...

Uh even in all that I said above, I will say that I don't particularly care to direct any of my displeasure towards fans,If you take anyone to task about something, it should be the creators and the work itself. But I would implore them to please, be bit more critical and understanding.'cause look I can understand a lot of reasons why this is popular, heck I may have even *liked it* 7-8 years ago (not intended as a jab at anyones maturity) and I feel sometimes many fans of stuff can't take the time to understand why *I* personally find something uncomfortable or not that great (just the yesterday I unfollowed someone cause they continue to just dismiss criticisms as just people being "hyperbolic" and "bitching"). As for more general cases like Bleach, Naruto or something else where something may not be outright "culturally reprehensible/irresponsible" , all I can say is well uh , still be critical and voice your opinions and don't be dismissive of others perspectives.

Tenumi

Banned
I know at one point I posted that I could not understand how people actually like SAO. I don't really mean it as against the fans. After all, I'm well versed in being a fan of shows that are disliked by many. I meant it because of the content, not the fans.

Nevertheless, fanbases are fanbases. They are free to enjoy what they like, and they shouldn't let others prevent them from enjoying themselves. I'm learning that now, definitely.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Despite making GTO jokes I'm also glad we're putting the squash on pre block talk here. It could be dangerous to the health of the thread in general and that's way more important than more group activities available on SAOturdays.

Rankings for the week

1. Brotherhood

Wow, what an ending! Edward proposing to Winry on the train platform was easily my favorite moment, I about DIED when he started talking about equivalent exchange in regards to marriage. That scene was just too cute, I always thought he had the inside track to Winry's heart over his brother. May is a great consolation prize but it is a little jarring to imagine that little girl with Alphonse, isn't he much older than her? Eh, no big deal. I'm just glad that he's happy and healthy again, I never realized just how tall Alphonse really is!

Mustang is still a boss even while blind, I'm glad to see him finally facing the demons of his past head on and work to make the world a better place. I don't get what happened to Scar though, is he going to work for Armstrong now? Were his killings pardoned? I'm sure somebody here can fill me in. It was also kind of a swerve to see that old general with the glasses become Fuhrer, I thought he was a morally ambiguous character...too bad Roy didn't get the job.

Brotherhood was certainly one hell of a ride, I'm still trying to process all my thoughts on the series but it's in my top 10 of all time for sure.

2. Soul Eater

Based Star vs Mifune round 3, FIGHT! These are my two favorite characters in Soul Eater so I was absolutely enthralled by this fight. I love when we get to watch Black Star walk this tightrope between the path his father took and the one he currently lives; those brief glimpses we get into his psyche help gives the character a little more depth.

3. Samurai Jack

What the heck was I thinking as a kid not watching this show? It's incredible! The music, atmosphere, art, and simplistic story telling elements all gel together extremely well making this the PERFECT 4AM show for the block.

I had no idea 'Jack' wasn't his real name; finding that out really blew my mind. Those dogs were hilarious and Aku is a heartless jerk. Loving this show so much.

3. Naruto

Sasuke is so dreamy and Sakura actually did something useful! Well...kinda. Naruto wussing out is a big turning point in the OG series for his character development. That whole scene was executed perfectly, believe it!

Kakashi the boss with the save at the end, can't wait for Zabuza to make his move. I'm a big fan of this arc, Naruto just keeps getting better from here on out.

4. Inuyasha

I had absolutely no idea what was going on but I like what I saw. That little green guy with the staff was HILARIOUS; I think I'll be staying up late to watch this more often!

5. One Piece

Betrayaltron, Robin is gone. The straw hats are shook.

I was multi-tasking during this episode so I don't really have much to say.

6. Sword Art Online

Where do I even start? After countless episodes of hearing Yui pine for her virtual mommy and daddy I've finally reached the breaking point and want to wring that annoying AI's little neck. How did she even know where to go nside the world tree? It was like the power of love led her and Kirito to Asuna, blegh.

The whole rape scene made me feel extremely uncomfortable. I know it's just a cartoon but I still couldn't help feeling sick to my stomach watching this grown man molest an adolescent girl. I had to turn away from the TV a couple of times, it almost became too much for me at times. The tear licking, hair smelling, clothes ripping, and inappropriate touching just really got to me...

Of course Kirito saves the day after getting an encouraging pep talk from his mass murdering buddy, what a good guy! On a serious note though that whole exchange was laughable, are we really supposed to sympathize with some sick fuck who just killed thousands of innocent people for no good reason!? He literally said he forgot why he did it all in the first place during season 1. Jesus.

The whole episode started to redeem itself when Kirito predictably went hax on the rapey bad guy. That whole sequence was hilarious and the voice acting was superb. The 'OH MY GOD, KAYABA!?' line delivery was perfect, I'm still laughing thinking about it.

And for those confused, rape guy didn't die. His physical body felt extreme pain since the limiter was turned off but it's fine in the real world, Kirito didn't murder him.

One episode left.

7. Clone Wars

This show has some great shots and the CG keeps impressing me. I usually dislike Clone Wars but last night was entertaining. Ashoka is annoying though.

8. Space Dandy

I hated this episode. Space Dandy has been up and down for me but this was one of the worst ones.

So Dandy and Meow get caught up in a battle between two aliens over underwear? Okay...this plotline was incredibly weak and referenced a bunch of other material (star wars, rocky, eureka 7) in an effort to skate by.

I didn't find the jokes funny; I only laughed when the two aliens dropped rocks on their heads and started to bleed out because I was glad they were finally dying. The last 5 minutes of space surfing wasn't enough to make up for the 18 minutes of pure bullshit we had to get through to get there. It was incredibly unmemorable and I have a hard time believing people would praise Dandy so much if it didn't have a big name attached to it or was a toonami world premiere each week. I'm all about supporting the block but this show has some serious flaws and is teetering between being mediocre and bad in my opinion.

Dandy is a show that is very reliant on comedy, I think that's why it's so polarizing. If you don't like the jokes, you're gonna have a bad time. I just don't understand why the poor characterization and weak plotlines get a pass. At this point the show is all style and little to no substance.

To make an analogy, Dandy is like McDonalds for me. I crave it once a week and think it looks incredibly appetizing based off of the previews of the food shown on the menu. However, once I consume the product, I usually end up feeling terrible and crapping it out because there's simply not much substance to it. I'm left feeling bitter and wanting more from the experience but keep coming back again each week.

9. Bleach

The first half of this episode was as terrible as last week but the Ikkaku v Clonepachi fight barelt dragged it out of the unwatchable tier. I'm tired of Kon's terrible comic relief, Yumichika should have done us all a favor and killed Nozomi. Kageroza obviously needs her to complete his plan, just get rid of her already. She's a mod soul, it'll be like throwing away a candy bar wrapper for goodness sake.

10. Ghost in the Shell

Tachikoma's becoming self aware? An interesting premise that touched on the questions of what exactly is a soul and how do we define humanity. Apparently this will be important to remember as the series goes on but last night I was left kind of scratching my head.

11. IGPX

A boring race and some cool tunes...are you guys ready for emo Takeshi!?

12. Shippuden

This pacing is awful. These fights are awful. Sakura is awful. The sand villagers are awful. That guy with the venus flytrap hand is awful.

Shippuden is awful.

FYI Gucchi Al was 14-15 during the story and 17 at the end, May was 11-12 though the story and 14 at the end. There is also the assumption that the final shot of Ed/Winry with kids probably takes 5+ years after the story's completion where Al would be 22 and she would be 19

Man now this thread is heavy :/

Why are things so heavy in the future is there something wrong with the moons gravitational pull?

Oh god, I had forgotten about the clothes ripping in all of the licking and sniffing cause those things are just out and out ridiculous and not like, triggery and realistic and ugh.

Also, I don't mind heaviness as much as I enjoy lightheaded nature of stuff here, I refuse to "turn my head off" and not criticize things, lets just try to not be vitriolic to each other about our tastes or obnoxious.

Edit: I was gonna say something about fma:b but now I forgot.

Seda

Less heavy comment.

I'm seriously not sure what to do with the March thread. It's not going to last five weeks if the last six are any indication.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
10. Ghost in the Shell

Tachikoma's becoming self aware? An interesting premise that touched on the questions of what exactly is a soul and how do we define humanity. Apparently this will be important to remember as the series goes on but last night I was left kind of scratching my head..
Uhh, it's important because the Tachikomas just got fired. How did you miss that? :D

Amikami

Banned
Seda laying down the rules!

It's a good thing Seda brought some things up though, Though I've never meant harm, I've made some comments about SAO, a lot being in fun, but I don't want to make anyone feel unwelcome in this thread. We're kinda used to each other so we know when we're serious, joking, and even exaggerating, which may be part of the fun sometimes, but when our comments become first impressions, I can see why people would feel uncomfortable. So if I ever made someone feel that way, I apologize. Though I can't remember too often speaking about fans rather than just dogging on the show itself, I'm sure I have in one way or another without realizing.

Less heavy comment.

I'm seriously not sure what to do with the March thread. It's not going to last five weeks if the last six are any indication.

Well we could make a new thread once Blue Exorcist starts even if it means killing this one a bit prematurely, that would give us the 4-5 weeks for a full thread and start another one when Black Lagoon starts

oh damn we are already on like 200/100 pages and its the second week of this thread, so yea not sure how 5 weeks can be handled.

Also, I will agree that I Space Dandy last night was pretty EH but I feel Dandy as had as much lowpoints and high points now and isnt necessarily veered towards the low .

Rape is a serious topic, as is attempted rape and sexual assault. It's unfortunate that a lot of fiction has molestation or characters just generally trying to force themselves onto others as a shortcut to get the audience to hate them, but it's something I've generally come to accept. Hell, InuYasha's even done it. The thing that makes these moments tolerable is that they're usually brief.

In Sword Art Online, it isn't brief. It goes on for a long fucking time as the villain chains Asuna up, rips off her clothes, licks her face, starts touching her, and goes on about what he's going to do to her. If you're going to put rape or attempted rape in a story, you give the topic the serious consideration it deserves. It doesn't matter if this is in character, you don't bring up this subject as just another reason to hate the villain, especially in your little "Trapped In a Video Game!" show that's meant purely for entertainment. It's trashy and in poor taste, to put it lightly. This is not a serious portrayal of rape, this is throwaway hero motivation, and it goddamn shouldn't be. Rape is such a heavy topic that when it pops up, it derails the proceedings. Everything becomes about how rape is in the story. The only way to offset this is to treat it properly, to focus on it as this heinous crime. Otherwise you just look like a hack.

There is no defense for this episode.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I never really got the idea we're suppose to Sympathize with Kayaba, actually. I just felt like his "Ghost" being in the AI was a small way to flesh out his "I forgot" ambition just one last time.

I don't mind SAO and ALO being used as parallels to shock a bunch of youths into quick maturation, and then being used as a seemingly impossible, difficult trial, that is then put into it's place by "Well, it's still not life or death! Once you've survived that, everything else is surmountable!"

... This is possibly giving it more credit than needed or deserved. Yet I like the fact that it feels like a "Reverse JRPG" ideal. Noramlly, you conquer something REALLY bad.. or it seems bad at first... until the stakes raise, and now your town-centric quest involved the entire world / universe. In SAO, they started off with the worse fate anyone could have in a game (dying in game = dying IRL!), and everything else, even if on a larger in-game scale, pales in comparison to the finality that SAO's situations offered VS our worse fates in ALO.

Oberon's attempts on Asuna show what happens when you grow up with easy access to dirty Doujin. I imagine the author got through with all that and then thought "... still not as bad as ____! Man, I could have done more!", ha.

Why are things so heavy in the future is there something wrong with the moons gravitational pull?

Lines like this... make me think about the gravity of earth holding ones soul down in Gundam. SIEG ZEON!

May's a cute little "19" year old then, ha. I still wanted to think of her as young in that last pic, but she's actually a bit taller than Winry, from how it looked! I was always impressed they used time on Ageing up May, and that they even remembered Paninya and Garfield.

Seda

Well we could make a new thread once Blue Exorcist starts even if it means killing this one a bit prematurely, that would give us the 4-5 weeks for a full thread and start another one when Black Lagoon starts

This is probably best I suppose. Perhaps I should have just kept the numbers, haha. I didn't think monthly threads could be too infrequent.

LOLDSFAN

Ok then.

I just feel like it could die out since new ToonamiGAF people will never hear about it. It's like if we have 8 people watching now, only those 8 will watch it. Then if one of them looses interest we'll only have 7. There won't be a replacement.

But anyway that's just my 2 cents on the subject.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
best course of action would be to just PM kayos each Saturday asking whether it's happening or not

No. Because that's me not being very considerate of people's times. I will just make a post here once a week if it's happening and when on Sunday.

There's no preshow this week.

Can someone post the updated list of end dates again? I've been meaning to Copy/Paste it into a document for quick reference

If Dandy is really only 13 episode then we'd need a new show to replace it on April 5th.

kayos90

Can someone post the updated list of end dates again? I've been meaning to Copy/Paste it into a document for quick reference

If Dandy is really only 13 episode then we'd need a new show to replace it on April 5th.

They COULD reair dandy at the timeslot

They COULD reair dandy at the timeslot

I could see that happening if there is confirmed season 2 happening in the Summer and they're repeating while waiting for the second season, but if these 13 episode are it they might look to get another show to take over that slot if they don't outright lose it to AS again.

kayos90

I could see that happening if there is confirmed season 2 happening in the Summer and they're repeating while waiting for the second season, but if these 13 episode are it they might look to get another show to take over that slot if they don't outright lose it to AS again.

I'm sure Toonami has the rights to this for a while. If they ARE replacing something Funi-related they should totally get Steins;Gate =D

I'm sure Toonami has the rights to this for a while. If they ARE replacing something Funi-related they should totally get Steins;Gate =D

As much as I <3333333 Steins Gate I don't think it's actiony enough for the general AS audience, I imagine most people would get bored and quit before we got to the point where it really picks up. I imagine if AoT dub is ready to go from Funi (which they confirmed last year and have been silent on since) I could see that sliding into that slot and being hugely successful.

Aquarion Evol coming to toonami!!!!

tumblr_mxsreqva9z1sf4lrpo4_500.gif

kayos90

As much as I <3333333 Steins Gate I don't think it's actiony enough for the general AS audience, I imagine most people would get bored and quit before we got to the point where it really picks up. I imagine if AoT dub is ready to go from Funi (which they confirmed last year and have been silent on since) I could see that sliding into that slot and being hugely successful.

It's not doubtful that AoT is ready to go especially considering the fact that it's supposed to see a physical release in Spring iirc. I think it'd be sort of cool if they do 13 episodes of AoT and then resume Dandy and then resume AoT again.

FUCKING NO!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Steins;Gate would have fit better during the era when Adult Swim showed stuff like Death Note, where it wasn't as actiony, but there was a good sense of mystery & suspense. & while I do really enjoy it, it's one of those where it takes a while to pick up (which is why I'm conflicted on Jojo getting dubbed & put on there since Part 2 is when the series gets so much better).

I thought you were serious for a moment, since I never heard of it aside from the fact it'll be represented in the newest Super Robot Wars game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom