• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb14| We Kick Ass for the LORD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me the first few episodes were like "huh... wut's going on" as it established the characters, then once times hopping shenanigans really took over it got better and better. While I do love the series I think the average AS/Toonami audience member would be turned off before it got to that point.

I think I watched like 8 episodes and then stopped watching.

Seda

Adapted from grandjedi6's list

Sword Art Online: February 15th 2014
Soul Eater: March 15th 2014
Space Dandy (13 episodes): March 29th, 2014
IGPX: April 19th, 2014
GitS (1st GIG only): April 26th, 2014
Blue Exorcist: August 9th, 2014
Black Lagoon: August 30th, 2014
Bleach: October 11th 2014
GitS (2nd GIG): October 25th, 2014
Inuyasha:December 6th, 2014
Naruto (1st 52 episodes): December 28th, 2014
Samurai Jack: January 24th, 2015
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood: May 16th, 2015
Clone Wars: September 12th, 2015
Naruto Shippuden: AHAHAHA....
One Piece: ....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Adapted from grandjedi6's list

Space Dandy: June 28th, 2014

We probably should mark Space Dandy as March 29th for as far as we know the show is only 13 episodes and will be ending then unless it reruns. LIst also needs FMA:B which I believe is May 16th 2015 for an end date currently

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I need scene context is that actually rape?

Shiiiiiiiit Sorry Bravely Default you will have to be pushed back another week because I gotta get Romance Dawn first

Unless it's getting a digital release, is it getting a digital release?

It is. But I'm getting retail because I'm a luddite.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Can't wait for Final Act to start on December 13 this year.
OcSX5P2.png

IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN

It is. But I'm getting retail because I'm a luddite.

Okay, well then Thursday if I can't walk into my local Gamestop and get a copy of RD or buy it off Amazon I'll DL it. Still need to get Pirate Warriors 2 :X

Can't wait for Final Act to start on December 13 this year.
OcSX5P2.png

IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN

Most likely, I just dunno what'll happen to the line up as I don't think you can premier Final Act at 5:30AM

Seda

We probably should mark Space Dandy as March 29th for as far as we know the show is only 13 episodes and will be ending then unless it reruns. LIst also needs FMA:B which I believe is May 16th 2015 for an end date currently

yeah

Space Dandy (13 episodes): March 29th, 2014
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood: May 16th, 2015

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wait, Durarara in a fighting game? What?
Shizuo is a playable character with Celty as support. You can see a trailer featuring the first set of confirmed characters here along with screenshots of the newest revealed ones. Full list of playable & support so far is here.

Also, Akira from Virtua Fighter is gonna be in as a boss character, though no word if he'll actually be playable & there's no footage of him yet.

...still waiting on Dokuro-chan to be playable with her spiked bat....& someone from Baccano....& S-Cry-Ed....& Ladies Vs. Butlers....& Toradora.....& Okami-San......and Valvrave (no really, SAO & Valvrave are both owned by Dengeki Bunko)...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Random: I thought Vale's performance yesterday as Sanji when he confronted Robin was very good.
Yeah, he does a good job of Sanji. I remember I was rather "eeehhh" hearing the Funimation voices for the first time, but I've grown to like them, especially Eric Vale.

*checks to see what else he's done* WOW, I completely forgot he was Casshern....& hhahahaha, Keiichi Kanejo from B Gata H Kei, another womanizing character.

FYI Gucchi Al was 14-15 during the story and 17 at the end, May was 11-12 though the story and 14 at the end. There is also the assumption that the final shot of Ed/Winry with kids probably takes 5+ years after the story's completion where Al would be 22 and she would be 19

Ah, ok. May's character design really threw off my perception of her age, I assumed she was 7 or 8!

Uhh, it's important because the Tachikomas just got fired. How did you miss that? :D

I didn't miss that part but I guess I glossed over it in my comments, sorry! I'm guessing this will have major implications down the line even though this was a SA episode?

Also, I will agree that I Space Dandy last night was pretty EH but I feel Dandy as had as much lowpoints and high points now and isnt necessarily veered towards the low .

I've only enjoyed the zombie episode and ramen pops bit; everything else has been meh to bad from a story telling perspective in my opinion. I'm just really struggling with the one demensional characters and humor which I largely perceive to be juvenile. I'm not trying to sound like I'm above toilet/sexualized humor but it's cringeworthy in large quantities, that's just how I feel. Dandy's beauty is only skin deep thus far, it hasn't really delivered the type of experience I was hoping for.

Tenumi

Banned
By the time this Bleach filler ends, I'll basically be a senior in college. Canon starts up on May 3rd. :|

When Bleach began airing on Adult Swim Action, I was 16, in the beginning of my Junior year of High School. When it finishes, I'll be 24, several years removed from college.

Ain't life grand?

I've liked at least half of the Space Dandy episodes and am not really caring that the characters lacking depth because it isnt that kinda show I feel, and its just meant to be a comedy/bizzare/random, which means whether its good or not is dependent on how much you like the particular jokes of each episodes skit or randomness. I mean it's sorta hard to find depth in a show that disregards continuity and where the characters have died like 2-3 times each already.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Steins;Gate >>>>>>>>.

I love both, honeslty as ive gotten older, I have grown to really love the sappy stuff in anime, I actually really like when people actually get in relationships now and even moreso act on it, its actually one thing I hate alot about alot of harem animes today, at the end nothing happens, moments like in FMA and SG are rare and are appreciated. I enjoy the boy in summer wars getting the girl cause he earned it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Asuma and Mumrah explain why they got beat by Muzuki. They got jumped and couldn't do anything because the Chunin guards were hostages.

In a fair fight they'd probably own the crap out of the idiot brothers and Mizuki.

In a dark future where late 2012 and early 2013 didn't go well for Toonami we'd have probably seen a lot more shows like Aquarion and even some good but very down the Toonami card shows like Desert Punk and other old Funimation sends these off to every streaming site imaginable shows.

I love both, honeslty as ive gotten older, I have grown to really love the sappy stuff in anime, I actually really like when people actually get in relationships now and even moreso act on it, its actually one thing I hate alot about alot of harem animes today, at the end nothing happens, moments like in FMA and SG are rare and are appreciated. I enjoy the boy in summer wars getting the girl cause he earned it.

it kind of annoys me when i see stuff like "people aren't interested in that, so i won't put it in my manga/anime."

of course, it could also basically ruin the entire show like it did with Thundercats, so there's that to consider.

Levyne

Banned
Ed-Winry is one of the better anime pairings. There's enough time leading up to it that it fits. You see the characters interact many times, in many circumstances, over the course of a long period of time. Even the pairing in summer wars feels like it's just there because that's how movies with single male and female leads are expected to end. Maybe if it had been longer or a series. I don't know if that makes sense. Probably not.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Random: I thought Vale's performance yesterday as Sanji when he confronted Robin was very good.

He's probably pound for pound the strongest regular male VA for Funimation. There are better actors who work with Funi but are more special occasion guys who do work for everyone.

this is what one of the guys behind the Toonami Faithful Podcast said:

"FUCKING RICK AND MORTY HANDLED ATTEMPTED SEXUAL ASSAULT BETTER THAN THIS SHOW."

i am in awe of how true this statement is

Crocodile

I've only enjoyed the zombie episode and ramen pops bit; everything else has been meh to bad from a story telling perspective in my opinion. I'm just really struggling with the one demensional characters and humor which I largely perceive to be juvenile. I'm not trying to sound like I'm above toilet/sexualized humor but it's cringeworthy in large quantities, that's just how I feel. Dandy's beauty is only skin deep thus far, it hasn't really delivered the type of experience I was hoping for.

Honest question, what sort of experience were you expecting? Like we knew going in that this was going to be a silly. We were promised "Mushroom Samba every episode" and "Dude goes on wacky adventures in Space" and that's pretty much what we have gotten. I understand if you don't like the characters but I don't entirely understand your issues with a lack of characterization. Characters don't need to be particularly deep or nuanced (though I certainly appreciated Episode 5) to be enjoyable or star in an enjoyable show. I know the comparison has been brought up before but this show is structured very similar to Johnny Bravo - a show about a macho doofus and his friends and the crazy adventures they got themselves into. I thought that show was very enjoyable and what it was trying to accomplish very deliberate - my experiences with Dandy have mirrored this sentiment.

As for humor, that's so subjective that I don't think I can construct a good objective argument for or against the humor in any particular Dandy episode. If you aren't finding it funny that's unfortunate but I can't fault you at all. I think the inherent structure of the show's development (different team for each episode) is going to result in a lot of divisive opinions with different people loving/hating the same episode for different reasons. As for plot lines, some have definitely been cliche but I don't see significant issues with how they've been structured or written other than maybe a better balance could have been achieved between halves. Again I think that comes down to humor and how well it may or may not have been executed.

On another note: I feel saying it's beauty is only skin deep might be fair to some extent (I don't entirely agree but I don't think such a statement is entirely outrageous) but also a tiny bit disingenuous or a slight I don't feel is appropriate. As an animated medium, the animation itself is more than a legit reason to enjoy something just as one can enjoy a movie for its cinematography, etc (as long as one is willing to admit to its other faults if they exist). Space Dandy is one of the BEST animated TV series in years - I don't think this is even a contestable point. As someone who is a huge fan of animation itself, large portions of multiple episodes have just been orgasmic (not literally of course but you get the idea) to watch for me. I don't think it's wrong at all to enjoy the show for its production values (again assuming the rest of show isn't a horrible trainwreck).

P.S. - If you are looking for a Watanabe show of a more serious direction, note that he's working on another series that I think will be premiering late this year. I definitely feel Dandy is as silly as it is as a contrast to the other stuff Watanabe is working on.

foxuzamaki

Honest question, what sort of experience were you expecting? Like we knew going in that this was going to be a silly. We were promised "Mushroom Samba every episode" and "Dude goes on wacky adventures in Space" and that's pretty much what we have gotten. I understand if you don't like the characters but I don't entirely understand your issues with a lack of characterization. Characters don't need to be particularly deep or nuanced (though I certainly appreciated Episode 5) to be enjoyable or star in an enjoyable show. I know the comparison has been brought up before but this show is structured very similar to Johnny Bravo - a show about a macho doofus and his friends and the crazy adventures they got themselves into. I thought that show was very enjoyable and what it was trying to accomplish very deliberate - my experiences with Dandy have mirrored this sentiment.

As for humor, that's so subjective that I don't think I can construct a good objective argument for or against the humor in any particular Dandy episode. If you aren't finding it funny that's unfortunate but I can't fault you at all. I think the inherent structure of the show's development (different team for each episode) is going to result in a lot of divisive opinions with different people loving/hating the same episode for different reasons. As for plot lines, some have definitely been cliche but I don't see significant issues with how they've been structured or written other than maybe a better balance could have been achieved between halves. Again I think that comes down to humor and how well it may or may not have been executed.

On another note: I feel saying it's beauty is only skin deep might be fair to some extent (I don't entirely agree but I don't think such a statement is entirely outrageous) but also a tiny bit disingenuous or a slight I don't feel is appropriate. As an animated medium, the animation itself is more than a legit reason to enjoy something just as one can enjoy a movie for its cinematography, etc (as long as one is willing to admit to its other faults if they exist). Space Dandy is one of the BEST animated TV series in years - I don't think this is even a contestable point. As someone who is a huge fan of animation itself, large portions of multiple episodes have just been orgasmic (not literally of course but you get the idea) to watch for me. I don't think it's wrong at all to enjoy the show for its production values (again assuming the rest of show isn't a horrible trainwreck).

P.S. - If you are looking for a Watanabe show of a more serious direction, note that he's working on another series that I think will be premiering late this year. I definitely feel Dandy is as silly as it is as a contrast to the other stuff Watanabe is working on.

Yeah really, ive seen some movie quality animation from space dandy, its incredible, being funded by a american network helps anime in wonders and needs to happen more often.

this is what one of the guys behind the Toonami Faithful Podcast said:

"FUCKING RICK AND MORTY HANDLED ATTEMPTED SEXUAL ASSAULT BETTER THAN THIS SHOW."

i am in awe of how true this statement is
Why awe? Morty was treated like an actual person in that scenario instead of motivation for someone else.

Jintor

I want to offer a little more thoughts on Episode 24.

The rape stuff, while... egregious... isn't actually what offends me. At least, contextually, it makes sense. Rapey McRaper is a McRaper Creeper McRaper who Rapes, cardboard cutout or not, so sadistic-ass NTR-triggering sexual assault is at least within his general wheelhouse. And Asuna has been damsel'd for so long at this point I could even forgive that she basically spent the entire episode either comforting Kirito or being sexually assaulted (maybe both at once, who knows). I mean, okay, it's still pretty fucking bad in terms of taste but it's not the worst element of the episode by far.

No, what really pissed me off, like BatDan, is the complete Deus Ex Machina ending. It's a fucking triple doozy. Not only does Kirito not put any effort whatsoever into the ending - he doesn't demonstrate exceptional strength, or some intense measure of courage, or some amazing secret strategem. Not only is he saved through a completely implausible but luckily timed intervention from a third party that was never even mentioned as a possibility beforehand, let alone teased or foreshadowed. But this fucking dumbshit beater, this idiot moron fucking jackass gary sue story-bending dipcrotch, is saved by the fucking mass-murdering douchebag from the first game with no callouts to the fact that he is a mass-murdering douchebag.

And how is he saved? By dramatically logging into an admin account and haxing his way to victory. He basically makes Oberon into a lvl 1 slime and proceeds to stomp on him, to literally cut the jackass to pieces and then fatality his spine. It's about as satisfying as watching a man with a chaingun murder a kindergardener, which is odd, because this is Rapist McRaper we're talking about here. But Kirito does it without a fucking thought - not even a hint of awareness re: "oh maybe I'm losing my human instincts as a person even if this is a virtual world/fantasy" - and, at least in my eyes, it renders false all the bullshit emotional suffering crap he immediately lapses into afterwards.

---

I'd also like to take this chance to apologise to anybody I insulted yesterday with that post I made. I made it with no malice aforethought, but frankly, I fucked up and put it in anyway, and for that I'd like to apologise. I don't really think you eat pig shit if you like SAO. If you know me, you know I don't attack fans of a thing even if I don't like it, and I'd like to believe that holds true; but what I posted more or less amounts to personal insults and for that I apologise. I'm sorry, I truly am.

What I meant to convey was that liking SAO is beyond my personal comprehension. It is something completely alien to me, the Great Old One of enjoying an animated series. It's like eating a lemon and telling me it's sweet, or perhaps more accurately like squeezing lemon juice into your eyes and telling me you enjoy the sensation. I don't understand it, but if that's your jam, go right ahead.

because of how deeply pathetic it is that a silly Adult Swim comedy handled sexual assault better than Sword Art Online is actually true.
Ehhhhh true, but I think Rick & Morty is more enjoyable and better written than SAO so seeing it handle sexual assault better than SAO is fine by me.

foxuzamaki

Theres one thing I have to say about SAO, its one of the only super mainstream animes that has attempted what it did, when I originally watched it ,which was up to only episode 13 or so, there were some fanservicey bits, which don't bother me at all because of all the stuff ive watched, but it was rather tame and nothing was offensive, but this is the first anime ive seen that has this much public attention and fanbase, that attempted the things it did in the later half, straight up NTR groping fanservice is stuff you see from series that doesnt have the tone SAO usually portrays, so it actually kinda shocks me in that regard.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
"Well, got nothing else to do, might as well finally see what that whole DATABASE DATABASE LIVING IN THE DATABASE thing from Log Horizon is from....*google*...oh, the OP? Let's hear it....*listens to it*"

Holy crap, talk about a music style I don't hear often. If I can convince myself, I think I'll give the first episode or so a watch after all the positive feedback.

Jintor

"Well, got nothing else to do, might as well finally see what that whole DATABASE DATABASE LIVING IN THE DATABASE thing from Log Horizon is from....*google*...oh, the OP? Let's hear it....*listens to it*"

Holy crap, talk about a music style I don't hear often. If I can convince myself, I think I'll give the first episode or so a watch after all the positive feedback.

database database really grows on you. I never skip the OP anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom