• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb14| We Kick Ass for the LORD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
JCubdck.gif

I don't mind adult swim at 8PM because they're most likely going to show King of the Hill at that time and more people should watch King of the Hill.

I didn't realize this was a thing and this is related to both Adult Swim and Toonami. Apparently Adult Swim is taking over the 8pm(EST) hour of Cartoon Network at the end of March.

Conservative parents are up in arms:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/02/09/parents-television-council-targets-cartoon-network-s-adult-swim
Have any of these soccer mom campaigns actually worked in the end? It seems like just them blowing a bunch of hot air because it means that they will actually have to be responsible parents and what not. Besides, Adult Swim has the young adult demo on lock with advertisers every which way paying them for that precious ad time. They wouldn't be stupid enough to buckle to the Conservative Mom groups.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I couldn't believe they had taken that as a same trope. Then Log Horizon did it and while I enjoy the hell out of Log Horizon, I do yearn for a serious fantasy show that doesn't involve being an MMO. This is probably because Record of Lodoss War is my favorite anime of all time. Then again, I also yearn for an art style for said show to be less of a color blast to the face. RoLW had a very muted color palette by comparison to Log Horizon for instance (Quoted for size):

While we're talking about

recordoflodosswarpic.jpg

Have you seen "Legend of Legendary Heroes"? It's closer to a Slayers than a Lodoss, but it's an actual fantasy world, rather than players stuck in a world. And it's available on Netflix streaming.

I'd guess you've probably seen Orphen, too.

As far as colors... I just don't think the artist of these days care to have muted styles like that anymore. It was already trending away from that in Lodoss with Spark's crazy Blue hair in Heroic Knight, not to mention Louie in Rune Soldier. Even the darker looking shows these days have a very color-saturated look to them. It just doesn't seem to work as naturally with digital colors.

As far as story, yeah, I'd like a straight swords and sorcery story from anime studios again. I think that's why I initially liked Attack on Titan; it feels like an old-world fantasy tale, with it's bleak world, fear of overpowering monsters, and rather RPG-Town like settings.

I do appreciate the strong lack of concern for "the modern world" connection in Log Horizon, however. They seem to use it more as a reason for who adventurers are so advanced VS people of the land, rather than an excuse to steamroll over the boring simplicity of the medieval-esque world.

While we're talking about

recordoflodosswarpic.jpg

Have you seen "Legend of Legendary Heroes"? It's closer to a Slayers than a Lodoss, but it's an actual fantasy world, rather than players stuck in a world. And it's available on Netflix streaming.

I'd guess you've probably seen Orphen, too.

As far as colors... I just don't think the artist of these days care to have muted styles like that anymore. It was already trending away from that in Lodoss with Spark's crazy Blue hair in Heroic Knight, not to mention Louie in Rune Soldier. Even the darker looking shows these days have a very color-saturated look to them. It just doesn't seem to work as naturally with digital colors.

As far as story, yeah, I'd like a straight swords and sorcery story from anime studios again. I think that's why I initially liked Attack on Titan; it feels like an old-world fantasy tale, with it's bleak world, fear of overpowering monsters, and rather RPG-Town like settings.

I do appreciate the strong lack of concern for "the modern world" connection in Log Horizon, however. They seem to use it more as a reason for who adventurers are so advanced VS people of the land, rather than an excuse to steamroll over the boring simplicity of the medieval-esque world.

I completely agree on all of your points. No I have not watched Legend of Legendary Heroes and yes I have watched Orphen. I will check out LoLH very soon though.

I agree about Attack on Titan, that has a very old-world fantasy feel and while, still having digital colors that are incredibly sharp and saturated, their color pallete is mostly greys, greens and browns. It wasn't going stark crazy like Log Horizon though. That being said, I am a big fan of Log Horizon. I don't mean to use it as an example to criticize it, but it's color scheme is definitely largely different than the age of anime that RoLW was privvy to.

Lastly, I want to link to this image, quoted for size of course.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I completely agree on all of your points. No I have not watched Legend of Legendary Heroes and yes I have watched Orphen. I will check out LoLH very soon though.

I agree about Attack on Titan, that has a very old-world fantasy feel and while, still having digital colors that are incredibly sharp and saturated, their color pallete is mostly greys, greens and browns. It wasn't going stark crazy like Log Horizon though. That being said, I am a big fan of Log Horizon. I don't mean to use it as an example to criticize it, but it's color scheme is definitely largely different than the age of anime that RoLW was privvy to.

Lastly, I want to link to this image, quoted for size of course.

7066.gif

I'm happy in how much of those I HAVE seen... and how many still remain, ha. Ruin Explorers was one of my first DVDs, for example... though I doubt I'll be watching Queens Blade or Fencer of Minerva, since it's Hentai, ha.

Reminds me that I have this:

Windaria_(film_poster).jpg

Sitting around on VHS, and forgot to watch it.

Gaming and Anime are at odd places for me... I want more games with colors and 16 bit vibrancy, but I do miss anime that tried to go for a more gritty, less computer-colored saturation. Wonder if I could pull off a Toonami Sketch Dump cover that was muted in tone... so many of the colors on the Art Academy program are so lively, but I'll give it a shot sometimes. (Could really fit a Black Lagoon Inspired image).

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
To go with that image, Ixion Saga DT is a funny parody of the whole fantasy setting anime if you want something more comedic.

Plus it's the source of all dem ball busting pics I posted a while back

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
To go with that image, Ixion Saga DT is a funny parody of the whole fantasy setting anime if you want something more comedic.

Plus it's the source of all dem ball busting pics I posted a while back

Wish I knew about that series after marathon'n all of Slayers when it was on Netflix... will have to give this a look if it's readily available somewhere.

Though that might have to wait, since I found a bunch of GTO disk I didn't have yet just last night...

LOLDSFAN

If only there was some way to CHANGE the channel once it switched to Adult Swim...

...oh sorry wait that'd involving knowing what your child was watching. I think the opening statement from the NY Daily News said it best. "It’s a free country, so if you don’t like what you’re watching, change the damn channel."

Too bad it can't be that easy. Then we'd have nothing censored during Toonami. :p

Gaming and Anime are at odd places for me... I want more games with colors and 16 bit vibrancy, but I do miss anime that tried to go for a more gritty, less computer-colored saturation.

But was that gritty look more a result of the production techniques at the time over the desired effect?

I totally get where you're coming from, but I wonder how many creators really wanted that look in the first place.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
But was that gritty look more a result of the production techniques at the time over the desired effect?

I totally get where you're coming from, but I wonder how many creators really wanted that look in the first place.

Yeah, I was thinking that too; but it's become a recognizable element of the style at the time, so I'd think some would try to mimic that part consciously now, same as how retro games still use dithering and purposely insert NES flicker and extra bleed-edges into games.

I just became aware of the Macross Blu-Ray Re-Draw animation shorts the other day, watching them on Youtube. (I'd link them, but as they're a disk extra, not sure if that'd be legit to do?) It's SO WEIRD seeing 80's anime traced in modern animation and coloring techniques, but they did a great job! And they definitely went for the more vibrant colors.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
"A New Formation: Ino-Shika-Cho!"

BhsqrIul.jpg

Granny Tsunade sent Team 10 to back up Naruto. They are going to take on the idiot brothers while Naruto catches up to Mizuki. That's the plan anyways. Pakkun says that Fujin and Raijun are stronger than the Sanin...and Shikamaru starts selling for them. They are trying to break the shadow possession! Team 10 is confident that they can win so Naruto skiddadles with Pakkun.

KFRoZmDl.jpg

Cut to Iruka chasing his boyfriend Mizuki who left an obvious trap trail of blood through the grove which ends abruptly in the middle of a clearing.

cV6gulol.jpg

Oh this can't be good. Iruka is trapped in a genjutsu sinking into the ground while a puppet with a katana advances on him. The ground was fake but the puppet seemingly isn't and it chases after him. He breaks the fuck out of that but he's still slightly shook. Mizuki is the real deal.

4cwzJEBl.jpg

Cut back to the Shadow Possession. No one has ever broken out of that before (it happens all the time. Choji runs up to grab one and hold them down while Ino switches minds with the other one.
Mission complete...

Mizuki is standing in front of this large wooden gate taunting Iruka. He did it all by himself! He's the sole survivor! The Black Hart! Iruka is sad; he's so talented yet he's still a traitor. Mizuki cuts a great tortured heel promo here; He never felt he got any respect, the rules were just getting in the way and we get a FLASHBACK.

pkTDYY8l.jpg

Cut to Mizuki running with two other Chunin, one of which is voiced by Steve Blum (does Orochimaru's machinations know no bounds?) Apparently someone stole the forbidden scroll a few years back and these three recovered it, but Spike got ganked in the back of the knee. He can't feel his leg! He puts his hand down and tells his teammate that he can't go on.

dIET0b5l.jpg

FOR OBVIOUS REASONS... Iruka really was wrong about Mizuki the whole time. What about me, what about Mizuki! Iruka believes in redemption but Mizuki ain't having none of it. He feels everyone is looking down on him, thinks they are better than Two Time Slammy Award Winning Mizuki. It all began on that day...

UwOxFrNl.jpg

FLASHBACK: Mizuki and Iruka are heading to the Ninja Academy Teaching Exam. Iruka thinks Mizuki is a shoe in because of his test scores. They start up the practical part of the test and Iruka falls for a trip wire that shoots kunai at him. He blocks the first few and Mizuki helps him with the last one. Iruka passed! Mizuki did not and runs off! Mizuki is hanging outside of the administration building and overhears the proctors talking with Joekage. They want to "wait and see" with Mizuki. Apparently they don't like how the mission to recover the scroll went and they've filled their quota of obviously evil teachers. The autospy clearly shows that he was suffocated and their report mentioned that the dead partner didn't seem that hobbled. Doesn't matter how brilliant you are if you're evil, well, unless you are Orochimaru I guess.

2l0DET1l.jpg

He was just following orders! His life has been ruined because of that day! He's been suffering this whole time while Iruka was on easy street. He opens the door to...the testing grounds from all those years ago. More taunting. More kunai being thrown.

yJTtnvDl.jpg

Cut back to Choji embracing his real daddy while his uncle looks on. FujIno decks Raijin in the face. Snap out of it big bro.

0KZ29OM.gif

FujIno gets knocked back to her own body. Choji doesn't fare any better. Too dumb to be mind controlled. Shino goes for the Pride special with his Shadow Strangulation.

sY2qxTFl.jpg

Cut to Naruto and Pakkun. Pakkun warns of a trap and Naruto agrees. A Mystery leg appears as we head back to the main event. Much Kunai. Such Clashing. Mizuki cuts a promo about how prison sucks. The darkness made him stronger like a KH villain. He can sense Iruka's energy in the darkness and bamfs in behind him.

b8sOtoNl.jpg

Nice roundhouse followed by more taunting. This ain't going to be a short fight.

4EsKS7ql.jpg

Back to the Shinobi Strangler. Ino is going to mind transfer again, but Shikamaru sees the flaw in that plan; he's gonna end up unintentionally choking a bitch. Ino's ready to bust out her new move though; this ain't the old Ino and tells him to "kiss my ass"!

GesiHB6l.jpg

Shikamaru is LEGIT SHOOK by this revelation. Ninja Art: Mind DESTRUCTION Jutsu.

ZwQ5sxEl.jpg

Ino flashes her gang sign. Raijin is turned into a mindless zombie ala Gluttony in FMA '03 as Ino brags about her new collection.

qJlJQbll.jpg

Back to Naruto and Pakkun who are indeed almost there. A few more steps. The one following them. By god. It's, it's...

naOSEiol.jpg

Who is this again?

QfK6tdil.jpg

Mizuki is hanging from the ceiling cutting a bad ass evil Batman promo. When you live in the light darkness can be a big problem. Iruka keeps throwing Kunai while Mizuki drops down and elbows him in the back of the head, even though in the next shot he's clearly back on the ceiling. Crafty motherfucker. Iruka can't handle this. Mizuki continues the taunting and goes into the Sakura zone with it; When Iruka claimed to be bringing this to an end clearly he meant his own life.

Back to Team 10. Shadow Strangulation. Mind Destruction. Your typical day. Choji is acting like a cheerleader but the two actually doing stuff are buckling. These two are just too damn strong. Shikamaru is trying to plan the next move but Choji finally steps up. Ino wonders if he'll just get knocked out again but Shikamaru has faith in the chubby guy.

t9IWM7al.jpg

He's hulking out! New Expansion Jutsu, both hands from the number one handsome chubby Ninja in the land.

c4yPS7Nl.jpg

Ino is impressed and they've got their mid tier special abilities now in the New Ino-Shika-Cho formation, hence the title of the episode (If you've been paying attention the show has been on quite the losing streak when it comes to the titles being the main point of the episode. This barely qualifies because Mizuki's past is clearly the A plot.)

Iruka is breathing heavily on the ground and can't sense anything. It's too quiet. Heatbearts, his own, a deep chilling sound like a monster's heavy breathing is coming from somewhere as we take a chromatically reversed white and black tour of the facility ending up on a rat for no reason. Behind door number two is it footsteps?

zh3aRWql.jpg

No, it's a bomb. Naruto gets there just as the building blows up. What happened in there indeed, Pakkun, as the episode ends on a cliffhanger.

NEXT EPISODE: "Orochimaru's Shadow"

bigkrev

So i'm playing Bravely Default, and having real issues with the fact that Tiz is Kirito and the Fairy is Yui. Like, "I don't want to play this anymore" issues.

bigkrev

Also, there are tons of really dumb JRPG protag names, but "Tiz" is pretty high up on the list of terrible names

Doesn't the game include the Japanese voices in the game? Just switch over to them

I kinda want an excuse to stop playing and start Danganronpa tommorrow, so shhhhhhhh

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Sugu does a great job in this game. Mrgrgr. Won't even bother playing it in Japanese.

EDIT: I spent no less than twenty minutes tonight trying to come up with a fake MikeMyers post that involves that gif I made and golden showers. Didn't think of allergy. Was going for something like "We all know urine is an antiseptic but it doesn't do anything for swelling."

One Piece future spoilers

So I finally got
the backstory I've finally been waiting to see (Goddamn, the World Govt. showed no mercy on Ohara. But Robin should have kept her mouth shut)
and then I get
four episodes of needless showings of SD-era episodes.
What a fucking waste

And Straw Hat Theater just makes me go "Huh?" more than making me laugh

MikeMyers

So I finally got
the backstory I've finally been waiting to see (Goddamn, the World Govt. showed no mercy on Ohara. But Robin should have kept her mouth shut)
and then I get
four episodes of needless showings of SD-era episodes.
What a fucking waste

And Straw Hat Theater just makes me go "Huh?" more than making me laugh

You should probably specify which show you are spoiling, by the way.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Since its a new day I watched more Casshern.

Episode 11
When is Buraiking Boss gonna show up? It's not Casshern without him.

Episode 12
And we're back to people hitting on Casshern's perfect body.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Braiking Boss doesn't show up for a looooong time. But you'll get some other interesting characters, like Dio and Dune.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom