• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb14| We Kick Ass for the LORD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Another thing I find amusing about Casshern Sins so far
The various good guys he meets have nothing better to do than follow Casshern around all day but the villains who really want to get at him only show up a few times.

Speaking of tales, I bought Xilla and I still need to play it.

I spent some time a few months ago playing through that after having it since release (got the big ol' Collector's edition box).

It was fun and though I didn't like Jude not having a weapon (really? Fisticuffs?), the characters were good and I would recommend the game. There are a few boneheaded story moments too that...don't seem to make sense. Things that you will go "That added nothing to the story. Why did they even include that?" but otherwise it is a fun game overall I thought.

Definitely set aside some time for it, my friend.

Edit: Oh and for anime related video gaming stuff, to keep this chain going, I just pre-ordered J-Stars Victory! (Anison sound edition. I gotta have my pOP's)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
One Piece future spoilers

So I finally got
the backstory I've finally been waiting to see (Goddamn, the World Govt. showed no mercy on Ohara. But Robin should have kept her mouth shut)
and then I get
four episodes of needless showings of SD-era episodes.
What a fucking waste

And Straw Hat Theater just makes me go "Huh?" more than making me laugh
Those
flashback episodes
coincided with One Piece moving to a new day and time (its current spot on Sunday mornings), and the fact that it was getting way too close to the manga at the time. I think it also had a month off the air right before them as well, if I remember right.

That's basically the end of decent pacing in One Piece, though. The series gets new directors at that point and really slows down to its current 1 chapter to 1 episode pace (thankfully One Piece chapters have way more content per capita than most weekly shounen series or it would be super unbearable).

daveo42

Banned
One Piece future spoilers

So I finally got
the backstory I've finally been waiting to see (Goddamn, the World Govt. showed no mercy on Ohara. But Robin should have kept her mouth shut)
and then I get
four episodes of needless showings of SD-era episodes.
What a fucking waste

And Straw Hat Theater just makes me go "Huh?" more than making me laugh

Yeah, the pacing at this point really slides after this point and you get extended recaps every episode as well to help buffer the episode length. Watching all the way through the arc is worth it though, even if everything slows down a bit.

I think One Piece could use some additional filler that isn't that bad, like the G5 arc after the end of Skypiea instead of stretching out each episode and adding filler into canon. The next filler arc is actually pretty bad though and happens after the end of the current arc. .

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'm not going to lie, it feels weird seeing all these James Avery faces around considering the man died pretty recently :(

I know, talk about an unexpected death. I always knew he played Shredder in TMNT, but I'm surprised he played Fang in Fist of the North Star. He's throwin' Jazz out the front door in a better place now...

Really, just a few weeks back, I was talking with my mother, and she thought she had died ages ago.

zlCfzRMVlk0YZKyn4z

"...monkies and rabbits, loop de loop..."

It was fun and though I didn't like Jude not having a weapon (really? Fisticuffs?), the characters were good and I would recommend the game.

Hey, the lsat time we had a main tales hero who fought with Fist, it was Senel in Legendia, who often seems forgotten... I'm always glad to see a Tales Hero who does something far removed from Sword and Shield, the most common lazy weapon to learn of all, haha.

The weirdest thing about Jude fighting that way is that Doctors normally respect their hands more...

Edit: Oh and for anime related video gaming stuff, to keep this chain going, I just pre-ordered J-Stars Victory! (Anison sound edition. I gotta have my pOP's)

Anisound is not in the cards for me at the moment, and I have such a hard time wondering if I'd even WANT the game without the music, lol. There is no doubt I'd hum YOU WA SHOCK everytime Ken pops up, and to hear some generic nothing fill the air when he pops up... sacrilege!

Now if only they'd offer anisound upgrades to normal editions over PSN... I'd totally be up for that.

Lol, I dunno, Jude using his fists just felt so off to me. I haven't played Legendia in a long time but when I saw Jude, all I could think of was Zell from FFVIII. I wish that was a costume he could have had. Make him look like he should be frontman for The Offspring.

Anisound is not in the cards for me at the moment, and I have such a hard time wondering if I'd even WANT the game without the music, lol. There is no doubt I'd hum YOU WA SHOCK everytime Ken pops up, and to hear some generic nothing fill the air when he pops up... sacrilege!

Now if only they'd offer anisound upgrades to normal editions over PSN... I'd totally be up for that.

Yeah, that really was the clincher for me. When my fiancee told me that non-pre order versions wouldn't have it, I just had to bite the bullet and go for it. So many good songs to go with good characters on there. I'm fairly partial to singing head-cha-la by myself though =p

March is going to be a mother f'ing expensive month. Diablo 3 xpac, Blazblue and J-stars all within a week of each other. That's even with me deciding to hold off on Witch and the hundred knights.

bigkrev

Welp, just wrote a 3 page essay length post about SAO and personal attacks, and deleted it after realizing that there was no way to edit it down into any form that would both convey my thoughts and keep me from getting banned. It might just be a lost cause for me.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Sometimes, it's just best to write the equivalent of an "angry letter", except typing up a post & not posting it. Let out what you want to say, but not posting it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Welp, just wrote a 3 page essay length post about SAO and personal attacks, and deleted it after realizing that there was no way to edit it down into any form that would both convey my thoughts and keep me from getting banned. It might just be a lost cause for me.

Put it on pastebin and PM me. ;D

bigkrev

Sometimes, it's just best to write the equivalent of an "angry letter", except typing up a post & not posting it. Let out what you want to say, but not posting it.

I know, I know....

Sometimes, I feel like the SAO defense force is just an elaborate rib on me, but there can't be hundreds of thousands of Skip Baylesses out there, right?

You should just post it and eat the ban.

Put it on pastebin and PM me. ;D

I deleted it!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Lol, I dunno, Jude using his fists just felt so off to me. I haven't played Legendia in a long time but when I saw Jude, all I could think of was Zell from FFVIII. I wish that was a costume he could have had. Make him look like he should be frontman for The Offspring.

Haha, mystery crossover out of nowhere... as many costumes as the game did offer... sure, why not! FFVIII is far from my mind beyond "Man with the Machinegun" and Quistis, so I was safe from that comparison, haha.

My brother loves playing barehands users, and I'll always have an affinity towards them as a Beat 'em Up / Fighting game Fan, so it was an insta RealBro-Fist moment for us. I think I go through every FPS wishing I had a punch combo, sooo...

Yeah, that really was the clincher for me. When my fiancee told me that non-pre order versions wouldn't have it, I just had to bite the bullet and go for it. So many good songs to go with good characters on there. I'm fairly partial to singing head-cha-la by myself though =p

March is going to be a mother f'ing expensive month. Diablo 3 xpac, Blazblue and J-stars all within a week of each other. That's even with me deciding to hold off on Witch and the hundred knights.

I'm blowing my gaming dollars Through Feb so far, so I'm trying not to think about March, lol. Witch and the Hundred Knight seems like a game I always forget exist, but I'm looking forward to NISA announcing Battle Princess of Arcadia at some point in the future... hopefully in a non-crowded month of releases.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
BD:FF will probably keep me busy until March. Might buy Tropical Freeze and then not play it for half a year because I'll probably give the PS3 one last go and give FFX and X-2 a shot. Which will probably carry me all the way to fiesta season (with Pokémon and MH3U still played on the sly, plus other releases like Shantae 3DS, Yumi's Odyssey and whatever else I throw on top of my gargantuan 3DS backlog.

As soon as BD:FF is complete though I'm going to make a concerted effort to play one of my backlog games at least twice a week though.

Then there's always the remote possibility that one of the big Wii U games scheduled for 2014 just drops in that time frame like X or SSB 4. Either one of those would destroy my schedule.

Time to buy every Shirley Temple dvd that Adult Swim is always trying to sell us.

Are the other two Philip Seymour Hoffman and James Avery?
I thought James Avery was already dead, I simply had no idea who Phillip Seymour Hoffmann is , so 2 outta 3 with the other one being someone I just didn't know . Also RIP Shirley Temple.

Ratings are in

11:30PM Space Dandy 0.9 HH, 1.464 million
12:00AM Bleach 0.9 HH, 1.343 million
12:30AM Shippuden 0.8 HH, 1.141 million
1:00AM One Piece 0.7 HH, 944,000
1:30AM Soul Eater 0.6 HH, 852,000
2:00AM Sword Art Online 0.6 HH, 906,000
2:30AM Naruto 0.5 HH, 679,000
3:00AM Ghost in the Shell 0.4 HH, 567,000
3:30AM FMA Brotherhood 0.5 HH, 638,000
4:00AM Samurai Jack 0.5 HH, 568,000
4:30AM IGPX 0.4 HH, 492,000
5:00AM Star Wars: TCW 0.5 HH, 670,000
5:30AM Inuyasha 0.4 HH, 519,000

For its entire week in Total Day (9 p.m. to 5:59 a.m.), Adult Swim is up 1 percent in total viewership (1.260 million vs. 1.252 million) and down 1 percent in viewers Adults 18-49 (731,000 vs. 738,000) from one week earlier; the network is also down 7 percent in total viewership (1.260 million vs. 1.351 million) and down 3 percent in viewers Adults 18-49 (731,000 vs. 755,000) from the same week one year ago (Feb. 4-10, 2013).

http://www.tvmediainsights.com/tvratings/40379/adult-swim-ratings-scorecard-week-of-feb-3-2014/

Premiers all doing really well, not surprised SAO saw a bump due to it being the climax. Naruto drops off like a rock though damn, though I imagine thats more due to SAO over performing this week. Imagine the same thing happened with FMA:B beating Gits.

Clone Wars is doing well at 5, InuYasha seems to be suffering for it though. Wonder if Toonami would be better off switching Clone Wars with InuYasha
that way I could go to bed at 5:30

Ratings are in

h34685333

daveo42

Banned
All around good with numbers up from last week, especially since the Olympics are in full swing now. That's hilariously bad that SAO beat out Soul Eater in a later timeslot.

I guess Adult Swim picked the right night to do the intruder 2 stuff.

Soul Eater being the weak link is sad but we are neck deep in Bones Eater.

Here are some of my thoughts for the week.

WOW at the Space Dandy ratings, I don't think anyone has realized just how impressive that number is yet. The 1.464 MILLION viewers it pulled in ranks 3rd highest all-time since the toonami block returned in 2012, here's the top 5 for reference:

1. Bleach (8/3/13) 1,599,000
2. Bleach (8/17/13) 1,485,000
3. Space Dandy (2/7/14) 1,464,000 NEW
4. Bleach (1/26/13) 1,428,000
5. Bleach (9/28/13) 1,414,000

Bleach and Shippuden are doing great, they should continue to pull in 1M+ every week as long as they keep airing in their current slots.

One Piece is starting to slowly bounce back as we get deeper into Water 7. It averaged 950K viewers per week in 2013 and only managed to pull in 905K in January of this year; I'm glad things are starting to trend upwards. Don't expect quad-mils until late spring at the earliest though.

I'm not surprised to see SAO and Brotherhood get a bump but Kirito and friends gained an extra 150K viewers for the penultimate episode...that's impressive. Soul Eater being beaten out shouldn't be a surprise nor does it indicate that the show is a weak link, it's doing great.

OG Naruto is doing well at the 2:30AM spot. The SAO bump makes it look bad but it's performing where it should be.

Remember folks: Inuyasha is the lowest rated show to ever grace the new toonami. Yes, GXP, IGPX, and GitS have put up better numbers on average. That being said it's doing fine at the 5:30AM spot, don't panic. Clone Wars gets a bump because more children are recording it, DVR views count as long as the show is watched within 24 hours of airing on television.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
so, Neon Alley is basically getting absorbed by Hulu

On one hand I hate Hulu. I use it when I have to (if I'm late on watching One Piece, catching up on these Toonami shows I missed) but on the other hand I liked Neon Alley when I tried it out...

i thought Neon Alley was kinda useless, honestly. they had a catch up feature, but there was a cut off. if i didn't start watching a show within a few weeks of it starting, i was basically out of luck. and when you have a 24 hour, 7 days a week livestream, the fact that they don't ever play older episodes was pretty ridiculous.

Goddamn at them ratings. Space Dandy is killing it. I'm really glad this is working out for AS. The rest of the block seems to have gotten a huge boost too. Bleach and Shippuden did fantastic. Ouch at that SAO to Naruto block. I'm just gonna chalk up the drop to the higher than usual amount of viewers on at the time as opposed to people just hating that one particular episode. Aside from that, the rest of the block did pretty okay. Well, except for IGPX which is apparently ratings poison. Best not repeat it, AS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom