• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb14| We Kick Ass for the LORD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Space Dandy's numbers are especially impressive considering the primetime Olympic coverage ran right up to its start time.

Although I wonder if the Olympics had the general effect of having more people at home watching TV than normal for a Saturday night.

Space Dandy's numbers are especially impressive considering the primetime Olympic coverage ran right up to its start time.

Although I wonder if the Olympics had the general effect of having more people at home watching TV than normal for a Saturday night.

Dandy is doing just Dandy

@Mcxc
One thing you forget about IGPX is that its first run was at 2/2:30 so if you average all its airings it'll look better then a show thats always been at 5/5:30. I imagine its 4:30 rerun average rating is the lowest ever on the new block

i thought Naruto would be doing better than it is by now. like, noticeably better than the other shows that have been in those timeslots.

It is doing well, SAO over performed this week, on average Naruto has done better rerunning at 2:30 then any other rerunned show at that slot. Plus it has the added benefit of premiers in a year assuming viz is cool with it

Man God

Non-Canon Member
They just aired these episodes last year and that has to be the time where a lot of east coasters go "it's late there are no premieres left"

bigkrev

So I guess we can chalk up last week to UFC- people tend to go out to watch UFC (either to parties or bars), and they probably aren't racing home to watch cartoons.

It is doing well, SAO over performed this week, on average Naruto has done better rerunning at 2:30 then any other rerunned show at that slot. Plus it has the added benefit of premiers in a year assuming viz is cool with it

it's not just this week. reruns of Sym-Bionic Titan did better, and Brotherhood did pretty comparable numbers. i know it hasn't been that long since the episodes aired, but it's Naruto. i feel like it should be doing better than this.

then again FLCL wasn't the best lead-in.

Dandy is doing just Dandy

@Mcxc
One thing you forget about IGPX is that its first run was at 2/2:30 so if you average all its airings it'll look better then a show thats always been at 5/5:30. I imagine its 4:30 rerun average rating is the lowest ever on the new block

This is true

Actually Eureka 7 is the highest rated show to air at 2:30AM. However the Naruto sample size we're dealing with is tiny, we'll have to wait another month or two before being able to say it's over/under performing definitively.

This is true

Actually Eureka 7 is the highest rated show to air at 2:30AM. However the Naruto sample size we're dealing with is tiny, we'll have to wait another month or two before being able to say it's over/under performing definitively.

Are you looking at all of E7's runs at 2:30 or just its rerun?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
jHovUqil.jpg

This was me when I realized I hadn't watched Naruto filler yet today.

I almost knocked it out last night instead.

Ultratech

They just aired these episodes last year and that has to be the time where a lot of east coasters go "it's late there are no premieres left"

That's generally what I do.

Usually at that point, it's like 1:30 in the morning and I'm getting super tired.

And as you mentioned, they just showed that stuff last year.

If you don't mind can you check what its average rating was on its rerun? I think down the line when we compare other 2:30 slot shows we should compare these first 52 of naruto to other reruns like e7 second run and flcl second run. I imagine had Naruto premiered at 2:30 it would have stomped the other 2:30 premiers the way it'll probably life time stomp the other 2:30 reruns

Correct me if I'm wrong but Eureka 7 only got one run on toonami as far as I know. It premiered on August 18th, 2012, taking over for Deadman Wonderland, alongside Samurai 7 and lasted until August 10th 2013. Clone Wars was the replacement but IGPX ended up taking its spot at 2:30AM.

During that run Eureka 7 averaged 689,333 viewers.

It appeared on US television for the first time back in 2006 on Adult Swim Action but I don't have those numbers. I can try to dig them up if you want?

Correct me if I'm wrong but Eureka 7 only got one run on toonami as far as I know. It premiered on August 18th, 2012, taking over for Deadman Wonderland, alongside Samurai 7 and lasted until August 10th 2013. Clone Wars was the replacement but IGPX ended up taking its spot at 2:30AM.

During that run Eureka 7 averaged 689,333 viewers.

It appeared on US television for the first time back in 2006 on Adult Swim Action but I don't have those numbers. I can try to dig them up if you want?

I thought it reran on Toonami? I guess most people saw it on Adult Swim so maybe I'm wrong on that. I joined Toonami gaf when E7 was ending

Man God

Non-Canon Member
"Orochimaru's Shadow"

aAuzRLKl.jpg

No recap, straight to the action. We open on Naruto and Pakkun observing the destruction. What's with the sky did a nuke go off? Pakkun can't smell him either. Naruto promises revengenance.
KibGVFrl.jpg

Some rubble shifts and out pops Iruka. Naruto rushes over. Iruka claims to be fine, he is not. Someone is coming!

eaeAMBil.jpg

It's the filler girl! She patches up Iruka while Pakkun and Naruto speculate on the nature of their relationship. Pakkun clearly thinks they are getting it on. Iruka is clearly worried about what they are talking about. Iruka introduces Tsubaki, Mizuki's fiancée. Iruka wants the scoop on why she showed up. We know that part of the story. He's crazy and she let him go. She's discouraged that she could have done more to stop him. She wants to join the party so I guess now it's a girl, two guys, and a dog.

0uXp1Qbl.jpg

Wait no, Iruka won't let her. She knows where he is going though so she forces her way in tearfully. We cut to Mizuki at a farmhouse in a peaceful quiet section of the leaf village outskirts. Nothing unusual on the outside. Omninous music and lots of poorly drawn animals and test tubes and shit on the inside. It's Orochimaru's Laboratory number five! Or not. It is some sort of medical research lab though. The medical ninjas are talking some nonsense when a shadow appears and quietly dispatches them. It's that damn Mizuki, by god!

QBTZsAEl.jpg

He does a few hand signs and his dumb tattoo starts to glow! He's looking for some compounds but is momentarily frightened when he looks into a tigers eye.
FORESHADOWING INTENSIFIES

A report comes into the Hokage's office. An insurgent has stormed one of the Nara's research lab stealing some of the list components on the potion sheet from a few episodes ago. His physical parameters matched Mizuki (not that that really matters in a world where nearly perfect transformations are taught to seven year olds, but whatever.) She slags Naruto in her head for not getting the job done. Almost no security there because it was so far away. The list is EXACTLY the same, but she ain't shook, what would a colossal fuckup "mere Chunin" be able to do with that stuff? She doesn't know what the materials do exactly but she's getting back to work on it.

Cut to the newly reformed Team Iruka. They ask Tsubaki what she thinks Mizuki is up to. She doesn't know precisely but she knows he is looking for Orochimaru. In a shockingly nice bit of continuity here he wanted the forbidden scroll way back in episode 1 to give to Orochimaru as an offering. She never told the village because she still loved him. She thought he was going to mend his evil ways. Iruka still doesn't get why she joined up with them though. She doesn't want to go alone because she can't beat him alone.

MK4QGsPl.jpg

The storm has broken as we cut back to Tsunade cursing out her former team member. She's cracked the code. This technique could only be pulled off by a master. Prison break update. They've finished catching everyone but the named three. One of the prisoners caught said something...troubling. The three men were running off together. AW HELL NO. Tsunade is going to handle this shit herself.

UfwmArjl.jpg

Cut to Team Ten in a perfectly clear setting (The past? Or has the storm not moved into this area yet?) with Fujin and Raijin flopping around in Choji's grasp like demon possessed fish. Ino says they can't keep this up forever, she's almost out of chakra. Shikamaru has gone over every possible plan but can't think of anything. These two are unreal. Fifty tons of blubber muscle. They're just going to hold the line through the commercial break.

t0JLRCel.jpg

We cut to the sounds of a ninja moving quickly through a wooded stream but from a point of view that obscures them. It's Mizuki. He looks at his sweet prison tat and remembers that time he chocked his squadmate. Survival of the fittest as we hear...Orochimaru laugh? (The squadmate who he just killed had Steve Blum's voice!)

ZukJxU9l.jpg

Orochimaru's music kicks in. He saw the whole thing as the man himself pops out of a tree. Looks like a hologram actually. Orochimaru knows what you did five minutes ago, but he's got no problem with survival of the fittest. Mizuki tries to make excuses but Orochimaru doesn't care. He says that no one from the leaf will praise him for his dedication to the mission and sends a snake after him, he gifted him with that ugly tattoo. Orochimaru says "he'll seek it out when he's ready and also dropped the potion formula!

zKcr6eAl.jpg

Mizuki walking into a dimly lit cave where he finds a clearly man made indention. He sticks a Kunai in (The Naruto version of a sonic screwdriver) and a secret door appears! No footprints in the dust, he must be the first one here. The eighth stone from the right grants access to a chain that when pulled makes a stone table raise up that sort of looks like the pattern on the gate of truth from FMA.

BVZhg2Rl.jpg

Team Iruka is on the case though. What sort of power does Mizuki seek from that madman? Tsubaki doesn't know and she asks Naruto if he's angry about what Mizuki did. Naruto...doesn't give a shit about that but if he knows Orochimaru he might lead him to the Sauce.

j5cbERtl.jpg

Mizuki is mixing the various potions in the ritual table. He hits the switch and the potions begin to mix Forming a glowing red liquid. An incomplete philosopher's stone?!? With this he'll obtain perfection
There's an amazing pun here
Naruto and co. have reached the cave and here Mizuki laughing.
t7c2hb3l.jpg

He comes out of the cave...it's the red...the red liquid! He was going to kill them all anyways. Too little, too late. He drinks it!

DJaMHNml.jpg

Naruto and Iruka are legit shook. Glass breaks. Mizuki claims they should be honored to be his first prey.

7uZBKBP.gif

Then this happens. Naruto has seen this before. Is Mizuki going to turn into a vampire?!? Team Iruka is shook. What has he turned into?!?

DCFw08Fl.jpg

A THUNDERCAT?!? HOOOOO!!!

NEXT EPISODE: "A Clash of Fate: You Can't Bring Me Down"

An interesting thing to look at would be the numbers the 11:30 slot pulled before Space Dandy.

Here are the January numbers for comparison. Space Dandy premiered in 2014, Boondocks numbers are from the same time period a year earlier.

Week 1
Space Dandy: 1,153,000 | 0.8HH
The Boondocks: 1,311,000 | 0.9HH

Week 2
Space Dandy: 1,204,000 | 0.9HH
The Boondocks: 1,163,000 | 0.8HH

Week 3
Space Dandy: 1,411,000 | 1.0HH
The Boondocks: 1,438,000 | 1.0HH

Week 4
Space Dandy: 1,251,000 | 0.9HH
The Boondocks: 1,363,000 | 1.0HH

Here are the January numbers for comparison. Space Dandy premiered in 2014, Boondocks numbers are from the same time period a year earlier.

Week 1
Space Dandy: 1,153,000 | 0.8HH
The Boondocks: 1,311,000 | 0.9HH

Week 2
Space Dandy: 1,204,000 | 0.9HH
The Boondocks: 1,163,000 | 0.8HH

Week 3
Space Dandy: 1,411,000 | 1.0HH
The Boondocks: 1,438,000 | 1.0HH

Week 4
Space Dandy: 1,251,000 | 0.9HH
The Boondocks: 1,363,000 | 1.0HH

Pretty damn close all things considered, would be really surprised if Toonami lost that 11:30 slot, especially with AS getting an extra hour thanks to taking over 8pm

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Its probably gonna be canceled.
Edit: Actually I'm pretty sure CN already canceled it.

Oh man. Wiki hasn't said anything about cancellation, but it's looking likely that it was.

Making it the shortest Batman cartoon ever.

oh god miguzi , though Idk, I remember code lyoko and totally spies and not much else from that era

also fuck cartoon network, I am GLAD AS is taking over that 8 pm slot even if they will fill it with more fox shows

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Dat hunter x hunter
250px-Sweating-Man.jpg

It'll be interesting if it ever hits Toonami. We'll have a bunch of people calling it kiddy and shit for the first 30 eps then HOLY FUCK YORKNEW. Then shit will get real again when HOLY FUCK CHIMERA ANT.

Would be awesome.

Oh man. Wiki hasn't said anything about cancellation, but it's looking likely that it was.

Making it the shortest Batman cartoon ever.

CN hasn't officially cancelled or renewed Beware the Batman yet. Warner just released two previews from episodes that haven't aired on TV.

oh god miguzi , though Idk, I remember code lyoko and totally spies and not much else from that era

I watched Code Lyoko back in high school, it was alright. Teen Titans, TMNT, and Yu-Gi-Oh! GX aired on Miguzi so I'd watch the block occasionally.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
What the hell is beware the batman?

Why does he have a female ninja robin?

What is this art style?

New Batman cartoon done in CGI

The female ninja is Katana, a character from the Outsiders. Metomorpho, another member of the Outsiders, had an episode on Beware the Batman.

The art style is... different.

Beware tried something different by focusing on ultra-obscure villains like Professor Pyg and Magpie instead of staples like The Joker and Two-Face.

To be fair it's not officially. But no ads, being off the air for many months, and the comicbook getting canceled is pointing to it.

There was a comic?
Jeez, that podcast with Paul Dini and Kevin Smith is really painting a scary picture of Cartoon Network...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh god wanted to play some Bravely Default to make up for the crappy day that I had & I cannot unhear Tiz as Kirito now. Wasn't there a second character (female) voiced by someone from SAO?

Raxus

Oh god wanted to play some Bravely Default to make up for the crappy day that I had & I cannot unhear Tiz as Kirito now. Wasn't there a second character (female) voiced by someone from SAO?

Leafa/Sugu is a voice of the female character as well.

You asshat.

Edit: Beaten by Seda, that asshat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom