• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb15| Giraffes are awesome, I love giraffes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm impressed by how much those actors look like the characters. It'd be better if this was a movie and not a musical, though.

That was the second thing I noticed, how well cast for looks this was.

The first thing I noticed? They all need baths.

QNIWlxz.gif

ckohler

So when Toonami is saying KLK is on Saturday at 12:30AM, apparently they actually mean Sunday 12:30AM.

I suppose you guys are used to this, but CN/Toonami need to learn how to tell time.

Yeah, I think it's confusing too. Makes me worry new viewers tune in on the wrong days sometimes.

Are you going to join us here Saturday night?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So when Toonami is saying KLK is on Saturday at 12:30AM, apparently they actually mean Sunday 12:30AM.

I suppose you guys are used to this, but CN/Toonami need to learn how to tell time.

They've been doing this for 14 years now. It still bugs me if I remember enough to think about it.

Giolon

Yeah, I think it's confusing too. Makes me worry new viewers tune in on the wrong days sometimes.

Are you going to join us here Saturday night?

I'm planning on it. I've seen it, but I'm looking forward to seeing ToonamiGAF's reception to it, plus I don't mind giving them some help in the ratings.

Raxus

Pretty much all of part one is. You can skip the non-canon™ stuff. The next canon arc of Shippuden is very good and we'll be enjoying it later this year.

Actually Shippuden has a pretty good run excluding the non-canon interludes. We have the *FUTURE ARC SPOILERS!*
Shika arc, Itachi arc, and the Pein arc.

They always say Saturday night which I think helps clarify it. You need to stay up late on Saturday to watch even if its technically at 12:30 am on sunday. A lot of us even joke that sunday doesn't start till we wake up after toonami ends

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Oooh the first episode I cover has Opening 2 and the second has Opening 3. I love talking about Naruto openings. Too bad I end the recaps with the absolute worst one.

Eh, that's what they do for their entire schedule, so it doesn't bother me. Toonami is part of the scheduled programming that started at 8pm/7c Saturday, so it makes sense.

http://podcast.toonamifaithful.com/...jason-demarcos-state-of-toonami-address-2015/

Anyone else listen to this, it's an hour long so it's LOL to me

also, getting my blood test back today, hopefully my awful disease will be known by then

This is actually very informative so far, just ~10 minutes in. I recommend.

ETA:
They are not upset about losing the back half, though they are never happy when the fans are not happy.
Mentioned the original schedule and thought that was going to be the norm going forward (3 hours then 3 hours repeated), then the block expanded because the network asked them to, not that they wanted to grow that quickly.
Losing shows like Clone Wars, S-Titan, Thundercats, BtB didn't help with having a library to populate the back-end and "the bottom fell out". Doesn't blame viewers for not wanting to watch the umpteenth repeat of GITS or Bebop, even if it's in HD.
Month of movies definitely killed some momentum.
AoT was not a show that performed well in reruns, but there was the hope that it would.
Prefer the shorter block, as it doesn't effect their budget - now it's a block of all premieres and will likely be that going forward. Little easier to work with a shorter block, i.e. planning and the like.
Were asked if they could make such drastic changes quickly and said yes.
Whereas the network might have rode out a ratings swoon like this in the past, right now they don't feel that way, hence the changes.

Like I said, a lot of stuff in the first bit. I stopped about 15:30 in because I need to go to work.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
In hindsight, I do feel like a shorter block might work to their advantage. Easier to work with, their budget didn't take a hit, they understand some viewers are kind of tired of the same repeats over & over.

Again, if it helps them last longer, then I'm all for it. I do still wonder if Kill la Kill will reair after it finishes, but I imagine due to the schedule being shorter, it won't since they wanna focus on premieres (which I understand).

I do wonder what would replace movie month since they know they don't want to air a new episode during the worst month.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
In hindsight, I do feel like a shorter block might work to their advantage. Easier to work with, their budget didn't take a hit, they understand some viewers are kind of tired of the same repeats over & over.

Again, if it helps them last longer, then I'm all for it. I do still wonder if Kill la Kill will reair after it finishes, but I imagine due to the schedule being shorter, it won't since they wanna focus on premieres (which I understand).

I do wonder what would replace movie month since they know they don't want to air a new episode during the worst month.

I don't think movie month would go anywhere, they know it's the weakest month of the year. They just need to get some new movies, we had already seen most of the movies they showed last year.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I wouldn't be surprised if they aimed for more DBZ movies. Heck, kind of surprised they didn't try to aim for more movies based on Toonami franchises, like last year & Trigun, both FMA films. and Broly (even if it was rather boring).

It's been quite some time since the Bleach & Inuyasha films aired. Maybe they'll try to get those.

Interesting to hear that they were actually ASKED for 6 hours & half of that being reruns. Again, it sounds like the shorter block might work out better in the long run.

& lol "You can't go from Hellsing Ultimate to Adventure Time". Though interesting reason as to why they aired those certain shows at about 5 AM.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hmmm, they said the shirts have sold well. Tried to make a TOM figure with a 3D printer, but didn't turn out very well. They'd make more stuff but they have to wait for someone to come to them.

Kind of wish they could do a Kickstarter, but they probably can't...

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Only about 5 minutes in to the DeMarco podcast, but the most interesting piece of information so far is that there is in fact a Funimation library deal in place. Pretty sure everyone suspected as much since Funimation shows have tended to get replaced by other Funimation shows, but it's interesting to hear it specifically mentioned.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Only about 5 minutes in to the DeMarco podcast, but the most interesting piece of information so far is that there is in fact a Funimation library deal in place. Pretty sure everyone suspected as much since Funimation shows have tended to get replaced by other Funimation shows, but it's interesting to hear it specifically mentioned.
Yeah, no surprise there considering Funimation seems to be the biggest partner in terms of Toonami shows, along with Aniplex and Viz.

Just made it to the part about simudub casts. They'd love to do that again (no surprise there) & kind of make a good point that people probably won't care if it takes a year for a show to get dub after they've seen it on Crunchyroll & such (I so hope Jojo doesn't fall to this).

Edit: Older shows like Yu Yu Hakusho & Outlaw Star (which DeMarco thinks it'd still do well) might still have a chance, but they feel they'd rather use the budget for new shows which would probably bring in the same amount, if not more, viewers. Plus they feel they already have enough long-running shows at the moment.

Edit 2: "Anything's possible" in terms of expanding again, assuming Toonami does well & the non-Toonami shows at stuff like 4 AM isn't doing as well in comparison.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
DeMarco said he really likes the show (he feels it'd do as well as One Piece), but again, he felt there's already enough long-running shows but it's possible if they get a better budget/more time again.

Also, he said that they're still figuring out what'll happen after Deadman Wonderland, so no word on if it'll be a premiere or the rerun slot.

DAMN IT, they lost the rights to Samurai Champloo. DeMarco would like it on Toonami, but it's all down to "what makes sense".

Seems Discotek picked up IGPX? & it seems they only get the rights for DVD release, not for TV.

They're still perusing a Gundam show to put on Toonami, but it's been very hard for them to do so.

Some more stuff from the podcast:

The Intruder 2 "has to happen" in 2015, which I thought was an interesting choice of words. Once again states that Toonami will never be the same after. Expect end of 2015, "not December", but back half of the year.

Toonami remains a viable sponsorship opportunity for advertisers. There's been some interest in sponsoring Intruder 2, hopes that it will happen because it would allow them to increase the scope of the event even more.

Comic was originally a "lark", but when Intruder 2 idea came about, the idea of tying in the comic made sense.

Since it looks like a Toonami panel at Momocon is going to happen, hope is to have something to show at that time about Intruder 2. My impression is that it could be along the lines of what we saw when we got a look at the new Toonami look/TOM 5 in a previous panel.

Creating good CGI takes a "loonnnng time".

Talked more about the block "running of fumes" for a few years, which I took to mean the ASA days as well as Toonami's back half, and thanks those fans who showed up (tip your caps, threaders who stayed up late!). Once again says a shorter block will be a good thing because the network's not going to spend money on the lowest watched hours of television, period, across the board. Salutes those who were watching the umpteenth repeat of whatever at 4am. "Now you can go to sleep! We can all put down our Mountain Dews and go to sleep." (potential thread title?)

Has been reassured that Toonami is not going anywhere, while once again noting that it's TV, things can change quickly, like the schedule change. Bummed that they couldn't give more of a warning to fans, hates when shows just disappear mid-arc, etc.

"Beauty of Toonami...We never win 'em all!"

Could block expand again? Sure, it's mainly down to ratings performance.

Talks about older shows, like Outlaw Star and YYH. Notes that he would prefer OS over YYH because it's a shorter show, because the lineup now has 3 shows with HUNDREDS of episodes - so it's a question of do they want something that would be on the air for six months or something that would be five years. Would YYH do as well as One Piece? Maybe. But we don't have the time/money to try for right now.

Didn't lose the rights for any of the shows in the back half that are going away, to his knowledge.

We have rights to Bleach - for a while, not forever. "Bleach even re-runs well....it's a workhorse....As much as people talk trash about Bleach on the internet, there's a bunch of regular viewers...who loves them some Bleach! And that's why we love it."

Plans for 3am - "Several options are being discussed" if it's reruns or new show. Goal is to have entire block to have premieres or at least slot in shows that haven't been on in a while, like Deadman.

Would ASA shows be part of Toonami? "I dunno, there were a lot of shows on ASA I didn't like."

Samurai Champloo? Would need to make a new deal, should we spend that money on a new show that hasn't aired before? Would like to have that one on Toonami though.

Had not had great discussions with Discotek so far, because they have video rights but not TV rights.

Continue to persue getting a Gundam show, "because we love Gundam", but so far, it's been very hard, and doesn't have a lot of information why. Thinks Bandai America falling apart hurt Sunrise representation in the U.S. and Sunrise right now appears to be focused on Japan. "Gill and I love Gundam" - if it becomes available, and they don't want to charge us an arm and a leg, we want it on Toonami.

While DeMarco gets the beats, week to week the editors choose the music, though DeMarco will occasionally step in and say "I don't like this". But says Johnny and Sara have worked on Toonami for so long that they are on the same wavelength most of the time.

Narration on promos will be more of a "makes thematic sense" decision. Like Dandy, it worked. On Kill la Kill, it didn't. Goes into the AoT promo response, thought he'd make a promo that would work on "old Toonami", but younger viewers didn't understand why there was a guy talking. Voiceovers are a "proud Toonami tradition", but going forward, will do it when it makes sense because "voice of God" promos are a style that's been left behind.

Using Blum as TOM for promos: see TOM as more of a character that doesn't work in that role because TOM's so casual. Didn't care that people thought the TOM pirate voice One Piece promo was corny, because they didn't see that promos as one that needed to be "serious" because OP is a "fun" show.

Hellsing exceeded expectations "at least part of the time". Shocked at how well Final Act did. AoT premieres met and exceeded expectations, considered it a "hit" in its timeslot, so that's why they hoped would perform well in reruns, but it's not a show that people wanted to sit down and watch again like DBZ or Bleach.

Hope that after Intruder 2 Toonami could have a longer intro "like we used to". If we weren't doing Intruder 2, would have probably changed the intro they are using now., but they have the artists focused right now on making assets for Intruder 2.

Intruder's going to be an complete overhaul for the entire block in terms of packaging, look, what you're seeing...."hee hee hee".

.....I should probably do some work now.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm starting to feel like after Intruder 2, we're gonna get some new shows, maybe a big one like Sailor Moon.

Oh, and one more thing, which I think is the most he's ever said about Toonami's 1st cancellation - he blamed it on "neglect".

And bring back the Bad News Barrett podium, darnit.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I still find it bizarre that they consider Inuyasha doing really well "shocking."

Inuyasha IS the Adult Swim Action block. Only Fullmetal Alchemist at its absolute height really competed with it, and even that was only for about a year or two, compared to Inuyasha's like 6 years or so on top. Final Act was always going to do killer numbers.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh, and one more thing, which I think is the most he's ever said about Toonami's 1st cancellation - he blamed it on "neglect".

And bring back the Bad News Barrett podium, darnit.
So the fans neglected to watch Toonami?!?

All seriously, it sounds like he wants Toonami to last a long time, so hopefully it'll last another year or so. I think most of us are now over the initial shock of the repeat block being cut and thinking it's doomnami.

Jarate

Banned
Suck it haters

I love how PC Demarco is about Bleach as he obviously can't talk shit on the show and the show does its job. I'm sure that he's rather see better shows up there, but Bleach and Naruto have that DVR viewership going

Honestly, I think that if Jojo gets a dub, Toonami would get it, new Sailor Moon might bring some nostalgia, but I doubt it covers there target audience well so we might not see it.

There's nothing else that really has that much of a prescence in the west, Rage of Bahamut would be nice for Toonami even after its weird second half. I'd love to see Ping Pong though. Let's all spam Demarco saying we want AOTY Ping Pong to be on toonami

I love how PC Demarco is about Bleach as he obviously can't talk shit on the show and the show does its job. I'm sure that he's rather see better shows up there, but Bleach and Naruto have that DVR viewership going

Honestly, I think that if Jojo gets a dub, Toonami would get it, new Sailor Moon might bring some nostalgia, but I doubt it covers there target audience well so we might not see it.

There's nothing else that really has that much of a prescence in the west, Rage of Bahamut would be nice for Toonami even after its weird second half. I'd love to see Ping Pong though. Let's all spam Demarco saying we want AOTY Ping Pong to be on toonami

They already said no sports shows multiple times, its not gonna happen

Jarate

Banned
They already said no sports shows multiple times, its not gonna happen
Ping Pong ain't a sports show it's a way of life

And he's probably just wanted to cover most long running sports anime with that quip, such as Hajime No Ippo, Prince of Tennis, Eyeshield 21 and others. Ping Pong could be really awesome for Toonami ratings wise as it could be a good litmus test for non action shows in the block

Here's a crazy thought: not everyone is obsessed with hating Bleach! Maybe, just maybe, he isn't being politically correct and actually thinks the show is decent despite what a vocal minority on the internet might say. Naruto and Bleach don't pull most of their numbers from DVR viewers anyway.

I still find it bizarre that they consider Inuyasha doing really well "shocking."

Inuyasha IS the Adult Swim Action block. Only Fullmetal Alchemist at its absolute height really competed with it, and even that was only for about a year or two, compared to Inuyasha's like 6 years or so on top. Final Act was always going to do killer numbers.

Shocking may be too strong of a word, I was typing fast, but either way I don't think they expected a strong response out of the gate so your point stands.

Jarate

Banned
Anyone got a good suggestion for any anime to watch. Ive been practicalky bed ridden the past 3 days and really need something to do. (Video games are too fatiguing at this stage) id love something mindless and something I dont really need to pay attention too. Maybe I should do my DBZ filler reviews

Honestly I'm a little surprised Inu has been killing it week in and week out. I would watch the show once in a blue moon on AS and never realized how popular it was. Thinking back it was probably second tier in terms of North American popularity.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Honestly I'm a little surprised Inu has been killing it week in and week out. I would watch the show once in a blue moon on AS and never realized how popular it was. Thinking back it was probably second tier in terms of North American popularity.

It was basically second only to DBZ. That said Inuyasha had far more crossover appeal, girls liked the romantic subplots and guys liked the giant sword that shot laser beams and fights. I mean shit, that final fight in the Band of Seven arc was awesome.

Anyone got a good suggestion for any anime to watch. Ive been practicalky bed ridden the past 3 days and really need something to do. (Video games are too fatiguing at this stage) id love something mindless and something I dont really need to pay attention too. Maybe I should do my DBZ filler reviews

Level E. It's far from mindless but it's too amazing not to recommend. If you do watch it, and have never seen it before, watch the first three episodes in a row before deciding if you like it or not. The show doesn't take it's final form until that third episode. Also I want reactions each step of the way if you've never seen it.

Jarate

Banned
It was basically second only to DBZ. That said Inuyasha had far more crossover appeal, girls liked the romantic subplots and guys liked the giant sword that shot laser beams and fights. I mean shit, that final fight in the Band of Seven arc was awesome.

Level E. It's far from mindless but it's too amazing not to recommend. If you do watch it, and have never seen it before, watch the first three episodes in a row before deciding if you like it or not. The show doesn't take it's final form until that third episode. Also I want reactions each step of the way if you've never seen it.
Is it on crunchy roll or hulu?

Wow I didn't even think about the crossover appeal. Does (Did?) the manga sell gangbusters? I'm trying to get a grip on just how popular it was. YGO and Pokemon had the advantage of TCG/annual video games but I don't recall Inuyasha being big with kids when I was in middle/high school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom