• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb15| Giraffes are awesome, I love giraffes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Inuyasha is somewhere just behind Bleach and likely ahead Cowboy Bebop and original FMA for most popular ASA show of all time.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Is it on crunchy roll or hulu?

Yes it is on Hulu. Only the first two episodes are dubbed though. You gotta post reactions, probably not outside of spoiler tags, but I do wanna know what you're thinking after each episode.

Wow I didn't even think about the crossover appeal. Does (Did?) the manga sell gangbusters? I'm trying to get a grip on just how popular it was. YGO and Pokemon had the advantage of TCG/annual video games but I don't recall Inuyasha being big with kids when I was in middle/high school.

That I couldn't tell you. I do know if a girl was into anime when I was growing up, she was definitely watching it. Same with dudes, but we tended to be more secretive about it due to the mushy stuff.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
lttp but this is high tier .gif usage

step it up man god

Who says I haven't been dogging it this whole time?

url_zpsmjrt8vyk.gif

Jarate

Banned
I ended up picking up Hunter X Hunter where I left off

I'm now two episodes into this stupidbbattle tower

Why do they refuse to show any fights in this damn show. I just want to see maybe a fight between equally skilled opponents. Everything has been so lame so far

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Why do they refuse to show any fights in this damn show. I just want to see maybe a fight between equally skilled opponents. Everything has been so lame so far

You'll get that after Nen is introduced. The whole point of that arc is to introduce nen, you'll see soon enough.

I'll never see anyone loose their minds from Level E :(

Jarate

Banned
You'll get that after Nen is introduced. The whole point of that arc is to introduce nen, you'll see soon enough.
It shouldn't take 30+ episodes to get a decent fight. Everybody has told me to keep waiting but like nothing has happened and nothing in the world is ever explained and bahh

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It shouldn't take 30+ episodes to get a decent fight. Everybody has told me to keep waiting but like nothing has happened and nothing in the world is ever explained and bahh

Don't worry, everything up to this point is still set up. Togashi's taking that shit slow so when it gets good he won't have to spend 3 hours explaining shit, it'll already be explained.

TheChits

If you are just watching for fights, the show is not for you.

Jarate

Banned
If you are just watching for fights, the show is not for you.
I mean, I'm not just watching for the fights, but there needs to be a pay off in a high energy fighting shonen

There's either been mountains or piles so far with hardly any in between

Heroman

Banned
I mean, I'm not just watching for the fights, but there needs to be a pay off in a high energy fighting shonen

There's either been mountains or piles so far with hardly any in between

Just wait, when there are fight in hunter xhunter they are pretty dope,

Hunter X Hunter is an adventure shonen for the first few arcs ala Dragon Ball. HxH doesn't really transition into a battle shonen ala Dragon Ball Z until the Yorknew Arc

Jarate

Banned
Hunter X Hunter is an adventure shonen for the first few arcs ala Dragon Ball. HxH doesn't really transition into a battle shonen ala Dragon Ball Z until the Yorknew Arc
Goku at least fought people who were his equal, and the adventure and world building were a lot better

I'll keep watching it because what else am I gonna do, but man there's some struggle

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
That I couldn't tell you. I do know if a girl was into anime when I was growing up, she was definitely watching it. Same with dudes, but we tended to be more secretive about it due to the mushy stuff.
Pretty much the very few girls that I knew in high school, if they were into anime, Inuyasha was one of their top 3 or whatever. One girl in class would wear an Inuyasha shirt about once a week or so....then it was funny to hear how much she hated the final episode when it finished on Adutl Swim.

Goku at least fought people who were his equal, and the adventure and world building were a lot better

I'll keep watching it because what else am I gonna do, but man there's some struggle

There really weren't that many fight early on in Dragon Ball and most of those fights are more comedic in tone. HxH fights also run the gambit of hot blooded shonen to more YGO esque logic fights like you saw during the exam arc's tower challenge

Heroman

Banned

Hunter x hunter isnt like db, goku was in the top teir while gon isnt even in the top 1000.

Also I've been meaning to say, if they have the rights to Bleach they should air it once Deadman ends unless they can get something new for cheap. No other rerun will pull in the ratings like Bleach its the smartest move as it'll probably keep people up through the whole block.

Jarate

Banned
Hunter x hunter isnt like db, goku was in the top teir while gon isnt even in the top 1000.

Meh, at the beggining of the show, Gokus power level was 10 if I remember correctly. He was super strong, but he wasn't anything special until Roshi trained him and he went on adventures. And Hell, even n Dragonball, Toriyama had a really awesome battle with Yancha within the first 5

I'll keep watching HxH but nothing has been impressive other then the animation and the music. At least its better then other shows I guess

Jarate

Banned
Confirmed: whiny teenagers killed voiceover in promos
I honestly don't think kids are used to it. We know the hype it builds up, but when is the last time there has been a modern action cartoon that's aimed at kids that dies this type of stuff. A lot of this stuff would be "new" to them

Heroman

Banned
Meh, at the beggining of the show, Gokus power level was 10 if I remember correctly. He was super strong, but he wasn't anything special until Roshi trained him and he went on adventures. And Hell, even n Dragonball, Toriyama had a really awesome battle with Yancha within the first 5

I'll keep watching HxH but nothing has been impressive other then the animation and the music. At least its better then other shows I guess

Goku was always pretty special in db the dude learn the Kamehameha after seeing it once, while in hunter x hunter gon is special it different in that world than it is in db.

Jarate

Banned
Goku was always pretty special in db the dude learn the Kamehameha after seeing it once, while in hunter x hunter gon is special it different in that world than it is in db.
Gone learned his Anime bullshit in like 2 hours. Hell half the show is them talking about how special gone is. Goku didn't become broken until he met Master Roshi and trained under him. Gon is just as broken as Goku

Heroman

Banned
Gone learned his Anime bullshit in like 2 hours. Hell half the show is them talking about how special gone is. Goku didn't become broken until he met Master Roshi and trained under him. Gon is just as broken as Goku

what do you mean by anime bs?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Inuyasha is somewhere just behind Bleach and likely ahead Cowboy Bebop and original FMA for most popular ASA show of all time.

Bleach's absolute best numbers were just a shade below Inuyasha's and FMA's bests.

All of them were way ahead of Bebop, at least for any particular individual airing. Bebop had a lot of external issues preventing it from drawing numbers, though. For one, it was the one and only anime show on the block during its initial airing, so it's not like it was packaged with complimentary programming, and it was the last show on the block. Also, 9/11 happened about a week into its premiere run, disrupting things immensely, causing episodes to be skipped entirely, and creating just all around scheduling weirdness. After that and by the time an action block really got going, Bebop was already in reruns.

I would guess the VAST majority of people who have been introduced to Bebop via Adult Swim first saw it on some random repeat run, unlike just about all of the other series on the block.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Nen

He hasn't learned shit about that, all he got were the very basics. I do mean very basics. His learning of
nen just means he's passed the hunter exam, yes the exam hasn't been over yet. This entire arc has been part of the exam, a hunter only really passes the exam when he learns nen
. Wait until you see what everyone else does with this before you start talking about Gon being special, he ain't shit compared to anyone.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Also, Hunter X Hunter is awesome because about 98% of the fights aren't about RAARRRRR I'M THE STRONGEST. They're about who's the smartest.

Its only real weakness is that Gon is the lamest character in the series (at least among the mains), but whatever. The rest is more than strong enough to make up for it, and Gon's blandness works super well as a foil for the other more dynamic characters.

I'll take that over guys standing in the sky shitting their pants while shouting exposition at each other any day of the week.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Also, Hunter X Hunter is awesome because about 98% of the fights aren't about RAARRRRR I'M THE STRONGEST. They're about who's the smartest.

Yep. They're about careful planning, figuring out your opponent's ability and how to counter it. A weak ability used in the right way can literally take down some of the strongest fighters in that universe.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Bleach's absolute best numbers were just a shade below Inuyasha's and FMA's bests.

All of them were way ahead of Bebop, at least for any particular individual airing. Bebop had a lot of external issues preventing it from drawing numbers, though. For one, it was the one and only anime show on the block during its initial airing, so it's not like it was packaged with complimentary programming, and it was the last show on the block. Also, 9/11 happened about a week into its premiere run, disrupting things immensely, causing episodes to be skipped entirely, and creating just all around scheduling weirdness. After that and by the time an action block really got going, Bebop was already in reruns.

I would guess the VAST majority of people who have been introduced to Bebop via Adult Swim first saw it on some random repeat run, unlike just about all of the other series on the block.

I know, I watched the first run of Bebop (and the second, and the third...all the way up to the first run that actually had every single episode in it.) I was giving Bebop credit for its stability as you are right, it is nowhere near the absolute high. I did think that Bleach had surpassed Inuyasha and FMA at their peak but I guess not.

FMA:B's disappearance by the way looks to be something from Japan as it disappeared the same month from Netflix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom