• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb15| Giraffes are awesome, I love giraffes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulflarz

Banned
I enjoyed DBZ for what it was. Was there "its over X thousand" jokes and I missed them all? If so, I feel sad that i missed that joy. I don't feel like too much happened in that episode though, but that might just be me. Krillin's destructo disk was a terrible attempt to hit someone, with the exception that Nappa is dumb enough to try and take it head on until the last second. Overall, it was a fine episode, I just...I guess I didn't find myself interested? It's hard to want to watch anime with little kids bothering you.

I also saw Kill La Kill. I didnt have any very young kids in the room for that, but I had a 14 year old in there. I found myself being reminded of the fact that the show is very weird if you have no context to it, and that because of that, it gets better after the first few episodes, when you mentally just say it's Ryuko's character design and not chalking it up to perversion reasons. You mentally get over the weirdness. However, watching it for the first time, I can see that show being extremely awkward.

Edit: that's the closest thing you'll get to sleepy impressions from me, because I cant think of a proper review at the moment. S-sorry.
What episode of OP was that?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
B-but I was hinting. ;_; I was asking for spoiler tags hopefully :p

mrgrgr >.>

samurai-jack-and-aku-smile-o.gif

Just better to keep the door closed, rather than take a peek, y'know?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I was mainly asking for it for SAO2 because I know how bad it got at times for the first season. But yes, it can apply for most, if not all the shows since we have some people who haven't seen certain shows & it's better to have them go in fresh instead of raising their expectations. It makes the reactions more enjoyable when they aren't expecting anything.

Believe me, the more I thought about certain episodes of certain shows, the harder it got to remind myself not to say anything.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
All seriousness, I THINK that's where I came up with my username when I was a teen, because I subscribed to the Sonic archie comics as a kid. I just stuck with it for consistency & the fact it's short & easy to remember.

It's been yeaaarrrss since I've read them, though.

Edit: Guess I should clarify I find the whole "original character" & fan-art stuff cringe worthy as well.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I..uh, guess I should steer the thread back onto topic.

In the chance that the 3 AM show, assuming it is a rerun, DOESN'T turn out to be Casshern Sins, any other predictions as to what show will fill the slot? Think they'll go for another 2012 show (which looking at the list, the only short-running shows that they'd have the rights to would be GXP & Samurai 7)?

Grexeno

I..uh, guess I should steer the thread back onto topic.

In the chance that the 3 AM show, assuming it is a rerun, DOESN'T turn out to be Casshern Sins, any other predictions as to what show will fill the slot? Think they'll go for another 2012 show (which looking at the list, the only short-running shows that they'd have the rights to would be GXP & Samurai 7)?
It's HD Bebop's slot to lose.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
On the one hand, I wouldn't be surprised they wanted to fully air the series in HD after it suddenly dropped after working to get the rights for it.

But on the other hand, DeMarco was fully aware there's only so many times you can reair the same show before people get tired, so I feel like if we do get repeats during this shortened block, it'll be stuff that hasn't been on Toonami for quite some time like DMWL.

Grexeno

On the one hand, I wouldn't be surprised they wanted to fully air the series in HD after it suddenly dropped after working to get the rights for it.

But on the other hand, DeMarco was fully aware there's only so many times you can reair the same show before people get tired, so I feel like if we do get repeats during this shortened block, it'll be stuff that hasn't been on Toonami for quite some time like DMWL.
I feel like they HAVE to show HD Bebop there before anything else.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Earth's Mightiest Disciple Kenichi
Wouldn't mind that series, but I recall they never "finished" adapting the manga (which JUST finished a few months ago, it seems) and it's a bit long at 50 episodes......plus about 11 different OVAs. Still, it'd be a good fit for the block.

I feel like they HAVE to show HD Bebop there before anything else.
Yeah, I'd say there's a strong chance they'll figure out a way to air the HD version at least once. Just a matter of "when".

"Zonic is an elite Zone Cop, and Sonic the Hedgehog's counterpart from the No Zone, a place 90° from everywhere. His citizenship in a perpendicular Zone intersecting all parallel zones, consequentially causes him to typically appear oriented sideways in any of the parallel Zones. His job as a Zone Cop requires him to monitor all realities maintaining balance in all zones, only allowing people to appear in other zones when they are needed."

Grexeno

"Zonic is an elite Zone Cop, and Sonic the Hedgehog's counterpart from the No Zone, a place 90° from everywhere. His citizenship in a perpendicular Zone intersecting all parallel zones, consequentially causes him to typically appear oriented sideways in any of the parallel Zones. His job as a Zone Cop requires him to monitor all realities maintaining balance in all zones, only allowing people to appear in other zones when they are needed."
Obama chuckled, "You mean the Chaos Emeralds?"

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's on the "reaired on FUNIMATION CHANNEL so you know its super cheap" list with Desert Punk, Black Lagoon, Casshew, and others.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Damn, Dish doesn't have Funimation Channel. Though least Wiki remembers how I originally remember the block:

"The Funimation Channel started out as a block on television network Colours TV. Programs during this era were Dragon Ball, Negima!, Kodocha, The Slayers, Blue Gender, Kiddy Grade, Fruits Basket, Case Closed and YuYu Hakusho."

It was some weird channel in the 9000s or something. But I remember watching Dragon Ball, I think Negima, Kodocha (for some reason), Fruits Basket (why did I watch this?) & Case Closed. There was also an anime called Spiral but I remember nothing about it.

Desert Punk would be a great Toonami show, I feel like no one has seen it and it's got a good balance of action and comedy.
I think I saw the first episode on Funimation's YouTube channel & thought it was decent. I'd be up for watching it with a group.

ckohler

Can’t really think of a theme so here are this week’s reviews:

DBZ: Kai - Lots of great action and character moments in this episode. Goku has finally made it back to Earth and both Krillin and Piccolo are making Nappa look bad. I still like how the sayians aren’t just so smug they can’t be shocked or stunned by the power of the Z Fighters. Even Gohon finally unleashes some power. I was skeptical that brining DBZ back to Toonami (much less leading the block with it) was a good idea but this show is still exciting after all this time. Rating: 4 Destructo Disks out of 5

Kill la Kill - Ahh, the Mankanshokus. They sure are a silly bunch. :D We saw our first, albeit extremely brief, censorship in the opening. Ryuko’s boob giggle during her transformation was blurred ever so slightly. A really odd choice considering there are closeups of her boobs giggling only one shot earlier plain as day. All-in-all, I think this bodes well for how little censorship there will be overall. Even the shot of Ryuko’s blanket falling off, leaving her completely butt naked for a moment, in Mr. Mikisugi’s apartment was kept in. The stellar dub continues to deliver and the voice on the tennis club captain is just the right amount of snooty, preppy bitch. Next week is one of the best episodes in the series hype wise, so don’t miss it! Rating: 9 balls out of 10.

Naruto: Shippuden - As far as Shippuden episodes go, I actually didn’t mind this one that much. It was decent. Nothing important really happened (mostly just character building) but I appreciate the lighthearted nature of the attempted “comedy” and seeing more of the classic cast returning and seeing their time-skip appearances. The final two minute setup for this new arc was confusing. Just two new ninja mumbling some kind of ridiculous sounding justu that made me chuckle out loud. Rating: Thumbs up for Ino.

InuYasha: The Final Act - Someone mentioned this is a filler story which completely blows my mind. Why in a series with insane early pacing and an already completed story would you make time to create filler?! That aside, this was a lackluster episode that felt completely unnecessary aside from InuYasha finally realizing that Kagame has legitimate feelings. I do enjoy watching Kagome get pissed off and taking charge, however, so that redeems the episode for me. When she was giving that flower demon a dressing down, it was pretty sweet. All in all, this was just an okay episode and felt very akin of the “demon of the week” of the previous series. The pacing was also fine, once again. Rating: 5 bleeding flowers out of 10

Gurren Lagann - Can you say hype? Hell yes! My giant Arc space ship that holds 150,000+ people can turn into a giant mecha. The moon? Yeah, it’s a giant battleship. The scale of things are increasing and while the Human Annihilation System has been deactivated, the Anti-Spirals are now aware of humanity and things are going to get crazy. It was nice to have innocent Nia back, if only for a moment. Those of you who doubted Simon earlier in the series, you understand now how amazing he is, right? He has already surpassed his bro. Next week marks the beginning of Part 4 of Gurren Lagann. Part one consisted of episodes 1-8, where each episode title was something Kamina said. Part 2 were episodes 9-15 which were all lines Nia said. Part 3 were episode 17-22 which have been things said by Rossiu. Now, we are finally in part 4 where each episode title will be a line spoken by Simon. Rating: HYPE!

One Piece - These battles are really entertaining. Are all, big One Piece battles this funny? I was expecting the comedy to die down and things to get serious but things are even sillier than ever! 3rd gear sounded awesome, and looked destructive, but what-the-hell was with mini-Luffy? Hopefully we’ll see more of that strangeness explained. Lol. Franky and Chopper’s interactions were really fun and damn did Franky totally destroy that “Cha-pa-pa” guy, who btw, is now more tolerable than that stupid “Yoi-Yoi” guy. If that “Yoi-Yoi” guy never leaves that fridge, I would be perfectly happy. Rating: 3 out of 3 Gears!

Deadman Wonderland - It’s shockingly noticeable how much the language was toned down. So much stuff happened in this episode that I think I need to watch it a second time. Lots of new characters were introduced, a new underground rebellion, something about the “Red Crater?”, some old dude fighting with Shiro, and Shiro acting all sullen suddenly. I’m really lost for what is happening. Still, it was entertaining and I’m glad the crazy girl only had her hair cut. I get that she’s some kind of head-case but I’m starting to get the impression she isn’t 100% evil. Yo continues to be more and more likable even if he’s otherwise useless around these super-beings. Lastly, that rock-star wannabe priest guy just seems kinda “meh”. I’m not really sure about him. Rating: 0 swears out of 0

I may attempt more spoiler warning cards next week but I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to top the ones from last night. I was really proud of those. InuYasha is by far the hardest one to make because I know so little about those characters where as KLK on the other hand is my favorite, and easiest one to make each week.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
One Piece - These battles are really entertaining. Are all, big One Piece battles this funny? I was expecting the comedy to die down and things to get serious but things are even sillier than ever! 3rd gear sounded awesome, and looked destructive, but what-the-hell was with mini-Luffy? Hopefully we’ll see more of that strangeness explained. Lol. Franky and Chopper’s interactions were really fun and damn did Franky totally destroy that “Cha-pa-pa” guy, who btw, is now more tolerable than that stupid “Yoi-Yoi” guy. If that “Yoi-Yoi” guy never leaves that fridge, I would perfectly happy. Rating: 3 out of 3 Gears!

That's part of what makes the series great, is the amazing blend of comedy and action. It does have it's super serious moments for when shit needs to get real, or even realer than the realest real (we're talking Gurren Lagaan levels of realness, but that's a ways off), but it's always good about letting the characters dictate what's going on and how it's going to happen. No one's personality will do a swerve just to suit the plot, for better or worse this is how everyone acts all the time.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I've said it a few times during certain episodes when they have great comedic moments, but the action & comedy (even if it was the 4Kids dub/script) is what got me into One Piece as a kid, when I was more into shows being funny instead of serious, but I was fine with the more "Okay no more joking around" moments if it still had a decent focus on humor. It helped I enjoyed the facial expressions as well, which only add to the funnier moments of the series.

Luffy strikes the perfect balance of having a care-free attitude but still knows when to take things seriously.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Earth's Mightiest Disciple Kenichi

I'd welcome this simply for the excuse to draw "Cammy" every Saturday, lol.

I didn't mind the series, but the fanservice eventually got awkwardly desperate after some time and never recovered, and it's fights were horribly animated most of the time. I really like Nijima, however.

Which then just makes me wish his superior brother Katsuhiko Jinnai from El Hazard would show up on the block, but that's WAY too old.

Lol already? I'll try and at least get a good idea sketch today, haha.

tumblr_nju4zsIhQS1s9kej6o1_1280.png

I liked the idea enough to instantly run with it, lol. Toonami SD's help me get faster, haha. Though I should probably go back and add CROSSED SHAPED SHINES for no reason, given the subjects.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Why would I lie about something being Canon when I want to glorify Non-Canon™ status?

Naruto last night took a turn for the Non-Canon™ with that ending. I could feel it in my bones.

I've actually never seen this arc and luckily happened to rejoin the dub right when the Immortal Hulk Hogan arc started up by a happy accident.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Why would I lie about something being Canon when I want to glorify Non-Canon™ status?

Naruto last night took a turn for the Non-Canon™ with that ending. I could feel it in my bones.

I've actually never seen this arc and luckily happened to rejoin the dub right when the Immortal Hulk Hogan arc started up by a happy accident.

The next few episodes are about half cannon and half non-cannon. The next arc is non-cannon but it's based in cannon, if that makes any sense.

Yeah that episode of InuYasha was canon had to double check last night when someone (I think Grexeno?) said something about it being filler. Quick google search of flower prince inuyasha lead to his wiki page where you could see what manga chapter he's in.

Seda

I didnt post much on Saturday bc I was too absorbed into Majora's Mask. ><

Kill La Kill definitely feels like a comedy to me, and I can enjoy it for that, for now. (Jintor was mentioning that it 'feels' different with the dub). It's silly, wacky - definitely a 'shut your brain off' type of show. The fanservice still feels a little overdone though. However, the main thing I am wondering about is if the absurdity will wear thin. 2 episodes in and I feel that the yelling and exaggerated behavior will get old sooner than later. Even Space Dandy knew to tone it down every once in a while.

Shippuden is always slow but for an arc transition episode I think it was okay.

Inuyasha - A satisfactory episode if not all too interesting. Seeing Kagome step it up a bit was refreshing and the pacing was pretty good. Kanna was probably the most uninteresting incarnation so this upcoming conflict is kinda just 'there' for me.

Gurren Lagann: The best episode of the night. For all the 'Political Lagann' episodes after the time skip, I think that break in the pacing actually does a good job boosting the excitement for this trek into the finale. I like how they mix most of the main cast here: Simon/Viral team up, Nia and her unique predicament, Yoko/Kittan and even the teenagers in the battle, Leeron also had quite of contributing dialogue. Probably the character I'm most interested at the moment is actually Rossiu. He seems to have realized his folly and is also apparently envious of Simon. Will he react gracefully, have a moment of redemption, or will he just fade and leave the heroics to the 'real' heroes?

One Piece: All I want to say about this episode is that the Franky cola business legitimately had me LOLing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom