• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb15| Giraffes are awesome, I love giraffes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Google searched my username and found this. Nice.

imperial_bishop_kids_t_shirt_tshirt-rc8aa94c2f2224aad9630d38a988c1ce0_wig7n_324.jpg

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Hunter X Hunter is like the unholy marriage of Naruto, YYH, and Dragonball.

Well, it predates Naruto by a year, and it's by the creator of Yu Yu Hakusho sooooooooooo .... I have no idea where I was going with this.

Jintor

Probably the character I'm most interested at the moment is actually Rossiu. He seems to have realized his folly and is also apparently envious of Simon. Will he react gracefully, have a moment of redemption, or will he just fade and leave the heroics to the 'real' heroes?

All I'll say is that this, at least, will be answered

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Most? I thought it was going to be longer than that.

There's a bit of very good Non-Canon™ material that will upset some people mainly because it interrupts the finale of this arc, then the year ends with the Non-Canon™ episodes that end Water Seven and finally my least favorite Non-Canon™ arc in the entire series.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't think we were
getting any filler from this point on

You better get ready for a healthy dose of
Chief Luffy
!

Also, most of September is going to be filler, and then all of November and December (and January 2016). Assuming no missed weeks due to holidays or movies or whatever (which probably will happen at least once since July 4 is a Saturday this year).

Then the rest of 2016 will be pretty much filler free.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon R: Episode 81:

In spite of this being a very Chibi-Usa heavy episode I did not hate this, mainly because she wasn't acting like the bratty hellion she can so often be. Also, despite the name of the title this was mostly a formula affair with Esmurelde enacting the usual evil plan of the week only with double the pleasure, double the fun. This is also one of those episodes that gives us a one shot character whom we have never seen before and probably will never see again and who wholly exists to be the catalyst for Chibi-Usa's greatest outpouring of energy yet, so great that plans have altered for the Black Moon Clan. We also get some more glimpses into what happened to Chibi-USa's mother and the upshot of all of this is the team is finally ready to head to the future and get the plot moving forward again. This episode is recommended to watch.

Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon R: Episode 82:

Piggybacking onto the last episode, it is time for The Sailor Scouts to go forward to the future in order to end the evil machinations of the Black Moon Clan once and for all. On the way there though we are given another encounter with the mysterious Sailor Pluto who honestly still isn't doing much and we do learn a few new things about the guardian of space-time and yea no shockingly being stuck as the doorgirl to the cosmos is kind of boring and lonely. She does offer up some foreshadowing, both the subtle and the obvious as they step through the door. Before the Scouts can enter the future the have to traverse the Corridor of Space-Time and this is where Prince Dimande first views the Scouts and Usagi for the first time in this anime and he instantly gains a new fetish for rabbits. Anyway, the team gets lost in time labyrinth and things take a turn for the boring before we are finally allowed a good glimpse at the Crystal Tokyo. Given the importance of this episode is is recommended to watch.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
LoL, such an easy style just to fall on into, eh? Awesome! Love the clouds and exaggeration. A very legit recreation of the TTGL eyecatch style.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I can't draw worth shit. Always was jealous of people who had that talent.
Same here. I hated art class in school because I'd have trouble thinking of things to make/draw & when I eventually thought of something, they looked terrible. Really wish I had the skills so I could draw hot women cool stuff like giant robots, anime or video game crossovers, or when people make awesome "what if this was in 2D" sprites.

Seda

The aspect to art that impresses me most is how artists can visualize the image they want to draw before they put the pencil to paper. As in the specific lines, the perspective, foreground and background. It's actually kinda dumbfounding to me.

Grexeno

The aspect to art that impresses me most is how artists can visualize the image they want to draw before they put the pencil to paper. As in the specific lines, the perspective, foreground and background. It's actually kinda dumbfounding to me.
Seda
Not an artist

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

One thing I loved about art classes; I could see the creative methods various people went through to set up works. For example I was the only one in my High school art classes that used a scanner and Photoshop to make my main pieces. So sketching on paper, scanning, and defining on computer was my norm.

But then others would set up still lifes, or make the image out of piling up textbooks. Getting people to act out the scene, finding exact replicas on VHS and pausing it for hours, looking through your comic collection for replicas... It was nice to see that not everyone was limited to coming up with things from scratch, or perfectly finishing exactly what they started, without deviation.

Even my own Mako pic from yesterday ended up in a whole different orientation than what I originally envisioned; It feels nice to let your mistakes and screwing around turn into a full on work.

The Natural Media (paints, Pastels, Pencils, etc) rule always sticks with me; it's a lot easier to add than to take away. Most Digital art spoils that (UNDO! UNDO!) but keeping that limitation in mind helps art feel more real and organic, I feel.

LOLDSFAN

Same. Like if I think about drawing an arm there's two lines connected with the elbow. An artist has to think about all the different subtle things like muscles, tendons, and bones and how they influence the shape of the arm.

Might as well go back and read the manga if you've like what you've seen as the anime has already cut characters and plot elements that are relevant later in the manga

Aww really? So basically DW is filler from here on out? Not that I won't give it a chance because I tend to like filler (hello Bleach and Blue Exorcist!) but that is odd.

Aww really? So basically DW is filler from here on out? Not that I won't give it a chance because I tend to like filler (hello Bleach and Blue Exorcist!) but that is odd.

Nah it mostly follows the manga and you could pick up the manga at chapter 21 and not initially be lost, but later on things will be referenced and you'll go "wait who is that...? When did that happen?"

Best way I can equate it to is imagine if Bleach anime cut the concepts of quincy from the anime and gave archer boy a different explanation for his powers and the anime ended after the Substitue arc. You'd be fine for awhile in the manga but eventually that lack of quincy info would lead to great confusion.

Echoing what Bass said, DW going forward is absolutely not filler - everything happens in the manga too. There are just some characters and story beats that were not introduced in the anime that honestly are not needed with how S1 plays out.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I was actually impressed by how DMWL veers off from the manga. It's slightly different but not enough so that if it did somehow become a phenomena they couldn't adapt the rest of the story.

I was actually impressed by how DMWL veers off from the manga. It's slightly different but not enough so that if it did somehow become a phenomena they couldn't adapt the rest of the story.

You could it would require either shenanigans retcon or introducing of characters and concepts in a different way

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*reads Assassination Classroom dub cast* Sonny Strait aka Usopp as Koro-Sensei? Well this should be interesting! *watches dub clip*

.....hmmmm, I don't dislike the voice (it seems to work better for sillier moments), but I guess it's sort of like Franky: if you tried to replicate his Japanese voice/tone/style in English, it probably would've come off as annoying. I think it's just my ears are just a bit in shock in how different it is, but I could get used to it.

Also, today I learned Sonny Strait was the voice of Splosion Man.....& TOM on Toonami from 1999 to 2000.

*reads Assassination Classroom dub cast* Sonny Strait aka Usopp as Koro-Sensei? Well this should be interesting! *watches dub clip*

.....hmmmm, I don't dislike the voice (it seems to work better for sillier moments), but I guess it's sort of like Franky: if you tried to replicate his Japanese voice/tone/style in English, it probably would've come off as annoying. I think it's just my ears are just a bit in shock in how different it is, but I could get used to it.

Also, today I learned Sonny Strait was the voice of Splosion Man.....& TOM on Toonami from 1999 to 2000.

It's weird, at first I felt the English voice was weird... and then I realized I still actually haven't heard what the Japanese voice sounds like in the anime... the voices actually sound pretty identical in tone. Sonny Strait will be a great Koro-Sensei

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm sure he will, considering how great he is when it comes to comedy (as seen in One Piece), so his style will most likely be a good fit fo the anime. Again, I think it's just my ears go into a bit of a shock when I'm so used to the JPN voices, then I hear the dub and it's not what I'd thought it'd be. Just takes a while to adjust to the ENG voices. Can also apply the other way around when I'm used to the dub but suddenly check out the sub for the first time.

I didn't really experience this with, say, Kill la Kill because for the most part, when I heard them, I thought "this is close or exactly as I'd imagine them in English."

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Haven't heard the Japanese either so Koro-sensei is pretty good
*looks up the cast*
... I have no idea who the other 3 "main" characters are.
No Bitch-sensei? Has she been introduced in the anime yet?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yes, she appeared in Ep. 4. Though yeah, I don't see her mentioned in the cast list. Strange.

Edit: Lindsay Seidel (Nagisa) was Ruka in Steins;Gate & Mimi from the first episode of DMWL. Chris Ryan (Tadaomi) was.....um, Yeager in Fairy Tale? Austin Tindle (Karma) was Accelerator in Certain Magical Index, Marco in Attack on Titan, & Wakabayashi from DMWL.

My ticket to Atlanta is booked for the Momocon weekend, flying in Thursday night and leaving Monday around noon. Not sure if I'll go to the con the whole weekend or just for the day of the Toonami panel whenever it is (hopefully it's not Thursday ;-;)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So for my birthday I cleaned the kitchen, didn't shovel snow, and had dinner with my folks. Also Monster Hunter 4 U.

Here's a clip from the Broadcast Dub of Assasination Classroom.

Anyone know if this show's any good?

CHARACTER – ACTOR

Koro Sensei – Sonny Strait
Nagisa Shiota – Lindsay Seidel
Tadaomi Karasuma – Chris Ryan
Karma Akabane – Austin Tindle
Isogai – Jerry Jewell
Fuwa – Kristi Kang
Hayami – Jamie Marchi
Hinano – Kristen McGuire
Kaede – Monica Rial
Maehara – Chris Burnett