• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb15| Giraffes are awesome, I love giraffes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtan

Sorry in advance if I'm posting this on the wrong place but.... I just finished Eureka Seven and man what an amazing anime. Now that it's over I just feel depressed that there's no more lol ;(

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I stated a while back that it takes some time for the "actual" conflict/action to start & right now it's more about establishing the characters & how insanely powerful our main character is, but I've been liking it. Been pretty faithful to the manga so far.

It MIGHT fit on Toonami, since there is some action, but it's a bit more comedic. Plus I don't know how they'll handle some of the wordplay jokes later on.

Seda

Sorry in advance if I'm posting this on the wrong place but.... I just finished Eureka Seven and man what an amazing anime. Now that it's over I just feel depressed that there's no more lol ;(

Just to mention, anything about shows that have aired past or present is certainly on-topic for this thread. Discussion about other shounen and/or localization dubs are close enough to on topic too.

I wasn't totally a fan of how Eureka ended but overall I think it's quite a solid series.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I was fine with E7 for the most part (though near the end, things got shaky or boring, mainly when our two MCs are stuck on a beach with THREE ANNOYING KIDS OH GOD MAKE THEM GO AWAY FOREVER). I wish I joined ToonamiGAF earlier when it was re-airing.

jtan

Just to mention, anything about shows that have aired past or present is certainly on-topic for this thread. Discussion about other shounen and/or localization dubs are close enough to on topic too.

I wasn't totally a fan of how Eureka ended but overall I think it's quite a solid series.

Thanks for letting me know!

Yeah I also wasn't too happy with the ending, but at the same time I wasn't sure how I wanted it to end so it grew on me haha.

jtan

I was fine with E7 for the most part (though near the end, things got shaky or boring, mainly when our two MCs are stuck on a beach with THREE ANNOYING KIDS OH GOD MAKE THEM GO AWAY FOREVER). I wish I joined ToonamiGAF earlier when it was re-airing.

I was really annoyed with the kids, specially when they caused things to go awry, but I liked how they finally came to accept Renton, so that made up for the bad beach parts lol

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh man, I hope Samurai 7 re-airs just so we can SOLD MY WIFE all over again.
I don't think I can bring myself to rewatch this series again on how bored I was most of the time. Also YOU HAVE A CYBORG SAMURAI WITH A COOL DESIGN BUT YOU BARELY USE HIM & WHEN YOU DO HE'S INCOMPETENT. One of my biggest annoyances is when you have an interesting setup or a great idea, but the execution is just terrible/goes to waste because you KNOW there's so much potential for it to actually work.

Didn't help I watched this by myself, so I didn't have the community to make it more interesting.

Is there a good place to buy manga besides barnes and noble? Is there some sort of digital sub service I can get on a tablet?

Viz app you can buy most of their manga by volume or by chapter, you can also subscribe to their service to get their weekly/monthly chapters from Jump and other magazines on mondays.

Jintor

I can't draw worth shit. Always was jealous of people who had that talent.

Same here. I hated art class in school because I'd have trouble thinking of things to make/draw & when I eventually thought of something, they looked terrible. Really wish I had the skills so I could draw hot women cool stuff like giant robots, anime or video game crossovers, or when people make awesome "what if this was in 2D" sprites.

I guarantee you that behind what you might see as 'talent' or 'skills' are years if not decades of hard work and constant self-improvement. I don't doubt some people are more able to slightly visualise things than other people, but nobody pops out of a womb a great painter or artist. I've been drawing since I was probably about 4 or 5, in the sense that not only was I scribbling things on the margins of paper but I've constantly been looking at other people's work, looking at how people do things, working at how people see the world, and - most importantly of all - drawing, always drawing. I have cupboards full of sketchbooks and half-drawings, HDDs full of shamefully terrible digital works from when I first got a scanner or tablet.

If you really want to draw, you need to work at it - constantly. Don't be afraid of being crap. Being kinda bad at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.

And there's always someone better than you out there, so don't let that discourage you.

The aspect to art that impresses me most is how artists can visualize the image they want to draw before they put the pencil to paper. As in the specific lines, the perspective, foreground and background. It's actually kinda dumbfounding to me.

I hate doing that lol, but yeah, you need to do that if you want a decently composited image. But it's not really that hard if you do it enough. Throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks.

One thing I loved about art classes; I could see the creative methods various people went through to set up works. For example I was the only one in my High school art classes that used a scanner and Photoshop to make my main pieces. So sketching on paper, scanning, and defining on computer was my norm.

But then others would set up still lifes, or make the image out of piling up textbooks. Getting people to act out the scene, finding exact replicas on VHS and pausing it for hours, looking through your comic collection for replicas... It was nice to see that not everyone was limited to coming up with things from scratch, or perfectly finishing exactly what they started, without deviation.

Even my own Mako pic from yesterday ended up in a whole different orientation than what I originally envisioned; It feels nice to let your mistakes and screwing around turn into a full on work.

The Natural Media (paints, Pastels, Pencils, etc) rule always sticks with me; it's a lot easier to add than to take away. Most Digital art spoils that (UNDO! UNDO!) but keeping that limitation in mind helps art feel more real and organic, I feel.

Thank god for layers though

I guarantee you that behind what you might see as 'talent' or 'skills' are years if not decades of hard work and constant self-improvement. I don't doubt some people are more able to slightly visualise things than other people, but nobody pops out of a womb a great painter or artist. I've been drawing since I was probably about 4 or 5, in the sense that not only was I scribbling things on the margins of paper but I've constantly been looking at other people's work, looking at how people do things, working at how people see the world, and - most importantly of all - drawing, always drawing. I have cupboards full of sketchbooks and half-drawings, HDDs full of shamefully terrible digital works from when I first got a scanner or tablet.

If you really want to draw, you need to work at it - constantly. Don't be afraid of being crap. Being kinda bad at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.

And there's always someone better than you out there, so don't let that discourage you.

Sorry if my comment came across as generalizing all artists as people who skate by on innate talent, that is not what I was trying to convey. Basically, I agree that good artists put in plenty of time honing their craft to be able to do what they do, but at the same time I do believe a lot of these men and women have natural ability which helps. Going back to grade school I have always had an interest in drawing; I would spend hours tracing characters from Shonen Jump and then try to do it free-hand but they always turned out awful. On the other hand I had friends who didn't have to practice but were just better than me, you know? The same thing goes for sports; I was always good at endurance events but others on my team had to work twice as hard as me to achieve similar results. I'm not sure how the left/right brain psychology works but some people are just better when it comes to art; unfortunately I don't have whatever 'it' is that makes a person lean this way.

I agree 100% though that you need to work at something to be great. I think the drawing ship has sailed for me but that's great life advice in general.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
^now I suddenly want to watch Assassination Classroom...

zgjnzvx.gif

Soulflarz

Banned
Since I missed last weeks One Piece episode, I shall instead review the uncut opening.

Listen to that beautiful opening of the opening- if that makes any sense. And then we have inspirational lyrics cutting between the song to start it: words of a cobalt sky. Then it gets beautiful, talking about hopes and dreams, all the while that amazing background to the lyrics is there, perfectly complimenting it. CRAZY CRAZY RAINBOW STAR TWINKLE TWINKLE RAINBOW STAR! Now the singer is talking about how he too, like the rest of them, is a crazy crazy rainbow star! He has joined the crazy crazy rainbow stars, and is accepted as one of them. Quite inspirational if you ask me! Then he talks about what color to paint the cobalt sky- what history shall they write going forward, and how shall they move on (or something idek). Then the song goes all chunni and talks about the fact they live in sad reality and that this crazy crazy rainbow star can break it and how theyre all fallen angels.

Overall, that opening is very notable and is too good to pass up. Sorry for terrible grammar, I couldnt even bother to keep it straight for this nonsense thought write up oh hi run on sentence but yeah you know what I meant.

11/10, would highly recommend this opening be watched.

Guys it's not really that bad in reality and I think many of you are overreacting :p

jbug617

Banned
posted in the One Piece (anime) thread, Funimation (via One Piece Podcast) announced they got Season 7. It's going to be released in 6 parts and the first release will be sometime this Summer.

Ya know, without looking I'd have to say that the same composer did the music for Attack on Titan and Kill La Kill. Those riffs are too similar for it to not be the work of the same person.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
posted in the One Piece (anime) thread, Funimation (via One Piece Podcast) announced they got Season 7. It's going to be released in 6 parts and the first release will be sometime this Summer.

That means a whole lot of characters should be getting cast soon. I believe by Funi's reckoning, "Season 7" is Sabaody.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Huzzah to hear no cut content for J-Stars Victory Vs.+. Now I can't wait to get into Story Mode & have Luffy travel to the world of Bo-Bobo.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Can somebody dig up Meta's preview post from last Saturday?

Next week on Toonami:

12:00 - Dragonball Z Kai - 12 - Farewell, Piccolo! Goku's Furious Counterattack!
12:30 - KILL la KILL - 3 - Junketsu
1:00 - Naruto Shippuden - 55 - Wind
1:30 - Inuyasha: The Final Act - 11 - Kanna's Gravestone
2:00 - Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - 23 - Let's Go, This is the Final Battle
2:30 - One Piece - 289 - Zoro Busts Out a New Technique! The Sword's Name is Sniperking?
3:00 - Deadman Wonderland - 8 - Scar Chain

There you go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom