• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb15| Giraffes are awesome, I love giraffes

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The latest episode of Regular Show was essentially Kill la Kill but with a fancy suit instead of a revealing schoolgirl outfit.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
i should probably just get back into the box

zAuxnTw.gif

First it was white and orange

Then I scrolled down to the image at the bottom

Then it was blue and red

:(

Apparently however long I look at the image at the bottom influences the color I see of the top image now its blue and orange

Articalys

FYI: ANN's podcast with DeMarco is now up:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2015-02-27/.85411
Our guest this week is Jason DeMarco, vice president and creative director on-air for Adult Swim, which means he's in charge of Toonami and has been for a long time. We discuss the history of the block, why some decisions get made, the new schedule and more.

ANNCast Episode 218 Breakdown

00:30 Jason DeMarco introduction and his history at Toonami

15:18 Dealing with mid-2000s bubble companies like Geneon and Bandai Entertainment USA

28:01 The longevity (or lack thereof) of anime reruns

30:35 Co-productions like The Big O and IGPX

40:43 What's going on with Toonami? It just shrank! Is it going to die??

47:23 Twitter Q&A
Haven't had a chance to listen to it myself yet so I dunno how much different it will be for people who already listened to his Toonami Faithful podcast appearance at the start of the month, but there you go.

Seda

Listened to some the later parts of the podcast.

For the hour cutting, he basically says what he said before. The network made the original decision to expand to six hours, but eventually because the latter half became shows that have aired many times, they kept doing steadily worse (from November on, so the time scale is pretty short) and decided that retaining an audience for that wasn't feasible.

"We at Toonami always wanted 3 hours, six shows, all premieres" He mentioned that losing rights hurt too. He says that it was somewhat of a relief actually, and I believe him.

He mentions that a few later scenes in Kill La Kill will have to be edited, but 'for the most part we aren't messing with it'. Seems like they argued scenes in Attack on Titan, Hellsing, and Black Lagoon to the higher ups to help convince them to air KLK.

The Space Dandy deal was special and came about due to people knowing people. Doesn't rule out something maybe happening in the future.

Mentions looking at some of the currently airing simuldubs on Funimation.

Aniplex seems very friendly in pushing shows onto Toonami, came to Toonami 'very early on' to talk SAOII. The relationship there is pretty strong.

Western cartoons are basically not coming.

ends with a tease - "We have a couple acquisitions we are really excited about, shows that people will know" Intruder 2 "will fundamentally change Toonami for a while."

DeMarco also says he loves One Piece (unprompted)

Listened to some the later parts of the podcast.

ends with a tease - "We have a couple acquisitions we are really excited about, shows that people will know" Intruder 2 "will fundamentally change Toonami for a while."

I hope one of those acquisitions is Madoka Magica.

I'd love to read your reactions to that show here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom