• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb15| Giraffes are awesome, I love giraffes

Status
Not open for further replies.
byzytiw.png

Dammit. Looks like I was slipping last month. I need to spam more. >.>

Seda

ckohler's rating scale is pretty fun.

nice impressions

Vegeta's VA is still Chris Sabat, he just sounds older now. Unless you were comparing him to Ocean Dub.

Let's talk about problems that shows had tonight!

Dragon Ball Z Kai - I feel that it's a little impossible for me to put myself into the shoes of a first-time viewer here. After all the jokes, the future knowledge, and the memes, it's difficult to take Yamcha's death seriously. But I don't usually have a problem doing that for other shows, so why is DBZ different? Is it me? Is it the writing? It's totally the writing. Even this early in the series, death is not the bogeyman in DBZ that it is in other shows. When the series itself is actually named after a method that can be used to reverse death, it really cheapens the whole idea. And not one episode ago, they used that method. So this isn't even something that you think can happen sometime in the future, it literally just happened. That's not to say death in DBZ is always going to just be whatever, but the moments where it actually feels poignant are rare. The death of Yamcha is not one of these moments.

Naruto Shippuden - This appears to be about the end of the arc, and I think the frustrating thing is that it's all culminated in a moment that's often a small part of another arc. We're looking at the establishing moment for a character, the "look how powerful I am compared to you" scene...and that's all. Nothing really gets accomplished here. We knew Sasuke didn't want to go back with them, and surprise! He didn't go back with them. It's been months of buildup, and the payoff is just to establish Sasuke's power level, which probably could've been done elsewhere. And his power level is frankly kind of absurd when apparently the Sharingan turns him into Schrodinger and allows him to enter the metaphysical representation of Naruto's inner struggle. One of the main things that's getting me through all of this is still imagining Sasuke as a kind of audience surrogate, saying, "Fuck this fox demon, fuck all these characters, I'm leaving."

InuYasha: The Final Act - And here we come to another problematic death. On paper, the execution is good. All the characters show believable emotion (even if it is a bit on-the-nose with a few), the music cues are a particularly nice touch, and while it definitely milks the death for all it's worth, it doesn't really oversell the drama, either. It's almost subdued. However, this death scene is for Kikyo. And Kikyo is a dead person who subsists on the souls of the living and has been largely useless in this series except as a part of a love triangle that probably should have ended a rather long time ago. Hell, she's had how many death fake-outs now? She was living on borrowed time and it would've been shocking if she DIDN'T go six feet under again at some point. I guess what I'm saying is that this is a much better death scene than the character it's for, because Kikyo kind of sucks, and the series it's in, because InuYasha likes to repeat things until they lose most of their meaning. Kikyo started pulling her weight recently, but the lightning fast nature of this show's pacing means that doesn't have much impact in the grand scheme of a series that long ago passed 150 episodes.

On a positive note, One Piece was hilarious and I think the post timeskip part of Gurren Lagann is finally clicking for me.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Kikiyo has been subtly training Kagome on a few things and has been laying a Narakuesque plan on Naraku since nearly the beginning of the show. She also does various things throughout the series to try and stop Naraku, though they don't work. She's hardly useless.

The only point I agree on is that this is her second real death scene since...well, not being dead any more and about her fifth stage death. This one is of course the final one.

Regiruler

Sakura will always have the honor of being a participant in the greatest Shippuden fight within the first 50 episodes,
even if she was the biggest thing dragging it down

Kikiyo has been subtly training Kagome on a few things and has been laying a Narakuesque plan on Naraku since nearly the beginning of the show. She also does various things throughout the series to try and stop Naraku, though they don't work. She's hardly useless.

The only point I agree on is that this is her second real death scene since...well, not being dead any more and about her fifth stage death. This one is of course the final one.

erm...

Man God

Non-Canon Member

She saves the group over and over again just by showing up and shooting arrows. It's not enough to kill Naraku but then again, nothing is enough to kill that bastard.

REAL ASS FINAL ACT SPOILERS:
The group powerlevels and four of the participants in the final Battle (Inuyasha, LORD SESSHOMARU, Sango, and Kagome) all have the stuff needed to kill him. Hell Inuyasha or his brother could probably solo him.

ckohler

Vegeta's VA is still Chris Sabat, he just sounds older now. Unless you were comparing him to Ocean Dub.

It's been so long it might be the Ocean Dub I am remembering. He just sounds different to me for some reason. He sounds fine, though.

One hour of crazy costume action
(DBZ for their weighted/Saiyan armor KLK for their super powered school uniforms)

One hour of crazy ninja/samurai/demon-slaying action
(Naruto and Inuyasha, respectively)

One hour of crazy [Facing the impossible] action
(TTGL thrives on this and One Piece has its own share insanely powered villains)

And a half hour of crazy jail action
(Carnival Corpse and more)

A whole hella lot of crazy in this cut lineup.

She saves the group over and over again just by showing up and shooting arrows. It's not enough to kill Naraku but then again, nothing is enough to kill that bastard.

Hey, even Koga has done something like that once in a while. And that guy's power-up somehow turned him into a liability.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

The group powerlevels and four of the participants in the final Battle (Inuyasha, LORD SESSHOMARU, Sango, and Kagome) all have the stuff needed to kill him. Hell Inuyasha or his brother could probably solo him.

Yep, she's got plans inside of plans. The craziest thing is (semi-spoiler)
Inuyasha's dad has a plan to beat Naraku and it's easily the best one out of all of them

Jarate

Banned
There's only 2 types of people on this earth

those that enjoy Ping Pong the animation, and those who havent watched all of it

what camp do you fall into

Heroman

Banned
Great stuff, SAB. The best ones are Foghorn Leghorn, square faced Sniper King, and the boy in GitS yelling, “Yes!”. On to the reviews.

DBZ: Kai - Woo hoo! The fights have started! I never saw the original Dragon Ball series so I know next to nothing about Yamcha. To me, he just looks like a poor-man’s Goku so watching him blow up was more funny than heart-breaking. Most of the re-dub voices in Kai so far have been fine but I think Vegeta’s new voice sounds kinda odd. I’m sure I’ll get used to it eventually. I’m glad the action is in full swing now. Rating: Boom goes the Yamcha!
Yamcha was never a poor man goku , he has always been a joke character and a scrub since the first time he showed up in Dragon ball.

MikeMyers

Well later,
she saves Kohaku's life by making him not being able to be dependent on the jewel

Man God

Non-Canon Member
6 minutes into Bleach: Hell Verse and Itsygo has already kicked three different people in the face.

Jarate

Banned
Ive been thinking of doing a review of DBZ non-canon™ material that we have missed with Kai.

would people be interested in such a thing?

ckohler

FOOTBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALL!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
God, this live-action American version of Eyeshield 21 is horrible. There's no plot, no character development, the actors are terrible, they don't look or act like the characters from the manga, and jesus so much product placement. This is worse than Dragonball Evolution.

Crocodile

"If there was a way both teams could lose, that would make me happy" is a sentiment Ive heard expressed by a lot of people I've talked to about the Super Bowl in the days leading up to it :p

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Deadman Wonderland - By far the most disturbing episode yet. I still don’t understand what kind of disease or event caused these people to have these powers but I’m starting to get more hints. That twist of Shiro being from Ganta’s past was a real surprise! They show them as kids together in the ED but I just took that to be a cute little “what if”. Now it seems that was a real photo. It’s also cool that Shiro knew Ganta all this time but because she’s such a head-case she never bothered to mention it. I don’t know why Ganta doesn’t remember her, though. A crazy-eyed albino girl would be hard to forget even when you’re just five or six years old. Watching him act all “Shinji” is getting old fast. I hope he eventually mans up. Lastly, that doctor woman was creepy as shit, getting all turned on by disecting people. Rating: Gruesome but awesome!
Actually Shiro has mentioned that she knew Ganta all along several times. She knew Ganta's name before he even got there, and she even told him that he was her bestest friend in their first meeting at Deadman Wonderland.

It's more that she's such a head-case you immediately disregarded what she was saying as gibberish. :D

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Actually Shiro has mentioned that she knew Ganta all along several times. She knew Ganta's name before he even got there, and she even told him that he was her bestest friend in their first meeting at Deadman Wonderland.

It's more that she's such a head-case you immediately disregarded what she was saying as gibberish. :D

Repeatedly. Yo was the first person to actually pay attention.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom