• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb15| Giraffes are awesome, I love giraffes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Space Dandy is #2 for Anime of the Year. KLK, JoJo and Parasyte make it into the top ten.

Two of my comments also were featured in the OP. I've been noticed. *__*

Grexeno

B8zsHakIQAAZQCM.jpg

Space Dandy is #2 for Anime of the Year. KLK, JoJo and Parasyte make it into the top ten.

Two of my comments also were featured in the OP. I've been noticed. *__*

Not surprising unfortunately, looking over the past several GAF AotY votes you'll notice that the winners generally pretty questionable

I'll admit that. That's just what they look like from looking at promotional art and plot summaries!

Nozaki-kun was on some Fumoffu-tier shit at times. I think Shirobako takes a while to get going, though.

The only show whose acclaim kind of confuses me is Barakamon. It's a cute show, but I only put it in my top 9 because I didn't watch many other shows worth recognizing.

Moaradin

Barakamon is the safest anime I've ever seen. It does nothing wrong, but it doesn't do anything particularly great either. It's just an easy, enjoyable anime to watch. Doesn't surprise me it got that high. Can't say it had that much competition either!

Crocodile

AOTY list is pretty legit. KLK and Parasyte are too high (as in they shouldn't have made Top Ten) and I would have liked to see Dandy win (but Ping Pong is so good that I'm fine with it winning) but OVERALL, I can feel good about showing that list to lapsed or non-anime fans. It's not perfect but it would be hard to realistically do better.

animu girl shows in front of HxH makes me sad :(

Shirobako (especially) and Nozaki-kun are legit as fuck so you shouldn't feel bad about their rankings and instead watch those shows. I will admit I haven't watched HxH but I do want to. I'm still hoping it shows up on Toonami sometime :(

Barakamon is the safest anime I've ever seen. It does nothing wrong, but it doesn't do anything particularly great either. It's just an easy, enjoyable anime to watch. Doesn't surprise me it got that high. Can't say it had that much competition either!

I can agree with this

I dunno, I think Barakamon definitely had its moments of some bad jokes (the second episode outright sucks) and it seems like it tries too hard to be emotional at times. There are times when it really comes together (the first episode being one of these), but to me it feels like an honorable mention at best. Safe isn't the word I'd use for it because it has these problems, though I can't actually come up with a much better description.

Plus there is a hugely obvious quality drop toward the end that I'm kind of astounded I don't hear more about.

Moaradin

I was already planning to watch Shirobako just because it's premise interested me, whenever it's finished. If you guys are saying Nozaki-kun is actually good and not the typical high school romance anime then maybe I'll check it out.

I think we can all agree the recommendations for Stardust Crusaders are the best recommendations for any anime ever and not just because my quote was chosen

I might watch Barakamon as that seems like an enjoyable slice of life series I can get behind ala Usagi Drop. Shirobako and Nozaki while probably great are just in a genres I simply have no interest in (comedy/romance/drama/harem in any combination).

I must wonder if Ping Pong hadn't had it's unique... style if people would have even given it a passing glance last spring when it first aired.

It's almost like two of the quotes in the thread don't go out of their way to focus on the writing :|

I'm not talking about the writing, what I'm asking is how many people would have checked the series out originally if the art style didn't immediately catch everyones attention.

Moaradin

Ping Pong had a striking visual style which was to it's benefit. It would have got attention regardless because of its excellent writing though.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*watches intro to Rolling Girls*

Soooo it's basically gang wars that look super pretty & colorful and gives me Kill la Kill vibes with its battles? Sure, I'm on board.

Soulflarz

Banned
*watches intro to Rolling Girls*

Soooo it's basically gang wars that look super pretty & colorful and gives me Kill la Kill vibes with its battles? Sure, I'm on board.

I had this vibe too. Then didnt watch past episode one ;_;

JoJo for life.

Jintor

I was already planning to watch Shirobako just because it's premise interested me, whenever it's finished. If you guys are saying Nozaki-kun is actually good and not the typical high school romance anime then maybe I'll check it out.

nozaki kun is god tier 4koma

Moaradin

Rolling Girls becoming more slice of life based is exactly what I'm worried about. The first two episodes were far more entertaining than these last two.

daveo42

Banned
Rolling Girls becoming more slice of life based is exactly what I'm worried about. The first two episodes were far more entertaining than these last two.

Personally, I am fine with the slice of life stuff so far, though I do hope to see more action-oriented episodes as well. At the moment there is somewhat of a block to keep that from happening with our main cast, though that may change here in the next few episodes.

Crocodile

Slice of Life is not the term I would use to describe those episodes. There is very clearly a goal in mind in terms of the narrative. They are clearly building towards something - I'm curious what it will be. I will say episode 4 was much stronger than episode 3 though so that's encouraging as I was a bit worried after episode 3.

Moaradin

Personally, I am fine with the slice of life stuff so far, though I do hope to see more action-oriented episodes as well. At the moment there is somewhat of a block to keep that from happening with our main cast, though that may change here in the next few episodes.

The main problem for me at least, is the main characters are just super uninteresting. Every time I watch I can't help but think how much better this would be if we followed the power rangers girl instead. Hopefully the main cast gets their own set of powers soon.

Seda

generally speaking you shouldnt call athletes 'thugs' even if they do throw punches, due to racial connotations

Raxus

Seeing as it is going to be a long night for me i figured i would take the time to address two subjects.

First, people are getting down on Kill la Kill. Which I find surprising. I am not going to talk about the series a while lot since we well discuss it to death in a week and the first episode will give us plenty to chew on. No, what I want to say is for people to go into this with an open mind. Personally a group watch adds alot to certain shows like Deadman Wonderland. It enhances particular moments and eases some of the rough edges in anime. Attack on Titan had some serious flaws but it was great in the first 6 episodes and when it started to drag we helped keep things interesting until we hit the female titan. I think we should approach KlK in a similar manner. It should be fun to see everyone's fresh reactions to certain scenes and changes in the dub (which I week get into when episode 1 airs). So keep a positive attitude for the series because we could be watching much much much worse stuff.

Second, the cut schedule. I mostly want to comment on this because I am partially at fault I feel and regret taking the back half for granted. By far the most painful loss watching the block last night has to be Dandy and HD Bebop. That being said I refuse to be doom and gloom about this. The block is leaner and meaner indeed and with the exception of Shippuden (which improves) I am actually excited for every premiers on the block and that hasn't happened in a long time. After Deadman Wonderland ends I have high hopes we will get Dandy season 2 and HD Bebop. So I am going to keep my chin up and i sure as hell watching every single site on the block from here on out and hope you all do the same.

Stay positive you guys. Sorry if there are typos. I did this all from my phone.

Seda

I think in the long run, shorter is better. The same shows rerunning in the last two hours especially just isn't interesting. Having a smaller rotation of less stale reruns (like, Deadman, Space Dandy and Bebop due to being remastered) is more enticing to watch.

As for Kill La Kill, fault-finding tendencies are probably just going to lessen the group watch experience. I'm just going to try and roll with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom