• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb16| Dimension Dub-For-You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
SSE ensured it was paced better, more or less.

I think that's why they only put vestigial unlocks in Smash 4 though, no real story mode so why bother? You can unlock every character in both versions in less than an hour, and all stages in less than 2.

Unlocking stuff is fine in Smash because Smash has a massive wealth of unlockables but I don't want to unlock shit in fighting games anymore and neither do any tournament organizers.

Regiruler

Then give TOs some special version with all characters unlocked.

I was so disappointed and overwhelmed at the same time that SFIV 3D had all the characters unlocked from minute 1. Killed a lot of the incentive for me to play.

Meanwhile I 100%ed DoAD (barring the figures) because playing as genra was a legitimate motivation (and KT still forgets he exists anymore).

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I was in Best Buy picking up Street Fighter and over in the 3DS section I spotted Fire Emblem Birthright and Conquest. Three days before release. Naughty naughty Best Buy, breaking street date.

Line_HTX

And I really dislike League's method of handling transactions too. I wish fighting games would adopt the Dota model. Give the character for free, and make the costumes cheaper.
The fans who love the game would go nuts for that.

For the bolded, do we know how fair that system is going to be?

Ewww, Dota. Fuck that.

In game currency is fine. Look no further than Blazblue or even Guilty Gear Xrd, though most of it is just for asthetics and other customization stuff.

Better than the alternative of paying for some DLC characters.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Unlocking characters is stupid in a fighting game imo

Just have them all playable from the start

But that's horridly unbalanced, from a product design standpoint. ANY product wants you to be "forced" to experience it all, to make a true impression on it. Books want you to read them all, movies don't want you to skip to the end, etc.

Fighters use of unlockables and progress markers try to ensured that you'd play and experience all of the cast and game, before you really judge it.

It is stupid when you start unlocking the same guy over and over though. "Look, the secret character is.... AKUMA!!!!" wow. If the designers can't make something worth me working for, then don't include the mechanic for that content. At the very least, make him an "easy" unlock, and not some big trophy... because he's definitely not that anymore, after all these years.

Even in the age of paid DLC characters, the idea proposition is still the same: put more dedication towards my product, and I reward you with something new.

Unlocking characters is the best part of fighting games.

I used to love it a lot, and it's why I got so close to the characters. Rather than removing unlocks from modern games, I just think they need to embrace alt methods for unlock. A purchasable key, unlock from playing VS, unlock from playing single, unlock from playing a round with each characters, etc, etc.

Consumers and producers could have their cake and eat it too, that way.

Soulflarz

Banned
Melee did unlocks very well.
...Smash 4 did not. Everyone just played 10 1 stock matches and suicided and got a character every 3 minutes, what's the point.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
HEY.

MEWTWO TAKING 20 HOURS OF VS. MATCHES WAS NOT "VERY WELL". That took me MONTHS to do. I remember doing a 90 minute match because I was finally close to getting him.

& no, I didn't have extra people or controllers to make it go by faster. I had to do it all by myself.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
kept going with DBZ

got a lot better once the fight on the Kai planet started

honestly feels like they could have cut out the entire fusion plot, though, and missed absolutely nothing

kept going with DBZ

got a lot better once the fight on the Kai planet started

honestly feels like they could have cut out the entire fusion plot, though, and missed absolutely nothing

Yeah, pretty much.

imo, more games would be better if they were Mega Man

Mega Man is too busy being dead.
7327e1c39170bd0f50b08697b6f0241620120112153249.jpg

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
But the point of the game is to complete the challenges presented to you. Why in the world would I buy the game to skip to right near the end.

I mean, mission select makes perfect sense after beating them, but right at the beginning feels like "oh, it's all already unlocked, what's the point now." It's the same reason why I dislike those "unlock everything for $5" "DLC".

Part of unlocking stuff is the satisfaction that you did it yourself & it's your reward for doing something. Yeah, I hated having to spend all that time getting Mewtwo in Melee, but it made me so happy when I finally unlocked him. Now granted, for tournaments & such, I can see why you want everything unlocked quickly.

*old man rant* BACK IN MY DAY, WE HAD TO EARN OUR CONTENT BY ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME.

Jarate

Banned
I sure am having a hard time connecting to players in SFV, Im sure glad they put in private matches between friends!...

a7ic1bC.jpg

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
That's an easy way to get confused. lol
What's the point of owning those things if you're not going to go through the whole product?
While I agree with you, I think Seda's point is that a book or DVD doesn't force you to start at the beginning. You aren't having to "unlock" the extra pages or scenes by reading/watching the ones beforehand.

Htown

they actually did some really good stuff with the characters of Vegeta and Mr. Satan there.

Goku is still a fucking moron, though, holy shit.

Htown

Like, Luffy is dumb but he usually steps up when it's actually time to get serious.

Goku is doing shit like wasting time so Vegeta gets his chance to fight Buu,
after the earth has been destroyed and billions of people have been killed..

Fucking... what?

While I agree with you, I think Seda's point is that a book or DVD doesn't force you to start at the beginning. You aren't having to "unlock" the extra pages or scenes by reading/watching the ones beforehand.

Still seems like an odd comparison if you're talking about single player campaigns.

Mizerman

Like, Luffy is dumb but he usually steps up when it's actually time to get serious.

Goku is doing shit like wasting time so Vegeta gets his chance to fight Buu,
after the earth has been destroyed and billions of people have been killed..

Fucking... what?

Our hero.

Puruzi

Banned
But that's horridly unbalanced, from a product design standpoint. ANY product wants you to be "forced" to experience it all, to make a true impression on it. Books want you to read them all, movies don't want you to skip to the end, etc.

Fighters use of unlockables and progress markers try to ensured that you'd play and experience all of the cast and game, before you really judge it.

It is stupid when you start unlocking the same guy over and over though. "Look, the secret character is.... AKUMA!!!!" wow. If the designers can't make something worth me working for, then don't include the mechanic for that content. At the very least, make him an "easy" unlock, and not some big trophy... because he's definitely not that anymore, after all these years.

Even in the age of paid DLC characters, the idea proposition is still the same: put more dedication towards my product, and I reward you with something new.

I don't really care about sp in fighting games

I get online and I fight pretty much immediately.

When smash 3ds and wii u came out, the first thing I did in both was hit up for glory and played so long that I ended up unlocking every character, so there was no point in just not having them unlocked by default

Soulflarz

Banned
The latest Call of Duty had campaign mission select unlocked from the start.

I don't mind it.

I dunno, this is weirdd

I mean I understand the logic, but it could have spoilers.

Naah. Anyways, tangent:
This reminds me of when I was a kid playing crisis core and saying "why do I have to keep a seperate save to access the sephiroth fight again without replaying the game?", and then I remember JRPGs should generally have a chapter select as an option of sorts?

Regiruler

XCX has boss battle replays which is rare for jrpgs.

You're overpowered as fuck though because the level adjust is too generous, and you have all your armor and arts.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
HEY.

MEWTWO TAKING 20 HOURS OF VS. MATCHES WAS NOT "VERY WELL". That took me MONTHS to do. I remember doing a 90 minute match because I was finally close to getting him.

& no, I didn't have extra people or controllers to make it go by faster. I had to do it all by myself.

I rarely unlock the Final Story characters in BlazBlue games, because I don't really care for Aksys writing, and they're exhaustive and boring at times. I appreciate they give a DLC option to get the character, but... I spend my time in VS. Why, after playing 15 hours of VS, do I STILL not have 1 final character?

Sure, you'd still be able to cheat that system (make the game stay on for 15 hours straight or something? VS CPU All night?), but eesh.

The latest Call of Duty had campaign mission select unlocked from the start.

I don't mind it.

People know the value of CoD in MP, though. It's one of those things that'll make money no matter what they do. Commercially smaller genres generally can't afford to do such things on a first release. Notice how much fighters WILL go to "all unlocked from start" in later iterations.

I find it interesting how Rivals of Aether has it's 2 Unlock characters available as normal people while in "Early Access", but plans to lock them again once the game is out. There's going to be hundreds of hours of gameplay on Youtube with them by then, and the Early players would have played them for MONTHS. It must really be used as a tool to encourage people to go into the story and stuff they're working on now. Though I think they said they may have codes, too.

imo, more games would be better if they were Mega Man

The really would! Megaman's the original sandbox, as far as I'm concerned. And I LOVED tackling things in different orders, or finding weakness, especially when they visually affected things.

My brother and I always wonder why MMX's gimmick of previous stages completion transforming later ones, isn't used more. Beating an Ice stage frosting over the flame in the fire stage, or destroying the factory that produced a certain time of enemy, removing them from spawn in another place... it's all just so cool, and I not only appreciate it for that, but also because of how much art must go into remaking stages with updated designs for varied mutations.

To me, that's a cooler "story" element than a story mode I might play through once, and never play again, y'know?

But the point of the game is to complete the challenges presented to you. Why in the world would I buy the game to skip to right near the end.

I mean, mission select makes perfect sense after beating them, but right at the beginning feels like "oh, it's all already unlocked, what's the point now." It's the same reason why I dislike those "unlock everything for $5" "DLC".

Part of unlocking stuff is the satisfaction that you did it yourself & it's your reward for doing something. Yeah, I hated having to spend all that time getting Mewtwo in Melee, but it made me so happy when I finally unlocked him. Now granted, for tournaments & such, I can see why you want everything unlocked quickly.

*old man rant* BACK IN MY DAY, WE HAD TO EARN OUR CONTENT BY ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME.

Young whippersnappers don't understand PLAYING! They gots an unlock chest or some doohickey, and they get it all right when they start! I used to play games for MONTHS before I saw them all! It used to take me weeks to beat a stage, and you know what? WE LIKED IT!

I honestly do feel kinda bad for how disposable games feel now-a-days. I remember the times when having Mario Paint could keep me entertained for weeks on end, or one RPG would cover summer vacation, basically. Now, it feels like similar products only really are "fresh" for a few hours, and then they get cycled into the log of daily-plays, F2Ps, gaming-on-occasions, etc, etc.

That's an easy way to get confused. lol
What's the point of owning those things if you're not going to go through the whole product?

It always kinda saddens me the consumers don't often care about what the people who created something might want. "I bought it, let me do as I please!"... sure, but someone who makes something doesn't want you to just take a look and dismiss it.

I don't really care about sp in fighting games

I get online and I fight pretty much immediately.

When smash 3ds and wii u came out, the first thing I did in both was hit up for glory and played so long that I ended up unlocking every character, so there was no point in just not having them unlocked by default

I mean, that's ok personally. But if you want the genre to continue to be played, having something in there for new people who play (and don't know the characters, lore, or who they want to main) is very useful. Even for seasoned pros, it's good to go through each character, and see how they move, how they fight, etc.

The "for glory" example is a nice one; it worked along with what you did, and anyone who hits a mode for that long is still getting that "experience the game" experience.

Well done unlocks are basically like covers to maggazines, or leaking a small part of a script to a movie. It's a tease, that generally is

Puruzi

Banned
I mean, that's ok personally. But if you want the genre to continue to be played, having something in there for new people who play (and don't know the characters, lore, or who they want to main) is very useful. Even for seasoned pros, it's good to go through each character, and see how they move, how they fight, etc.

???

You can still try all the characters if they're unlocked by default

Jarate

Banned
I think he's arguing is that it gives players the drive to try out all characters as opposed to in SF where everyone just plays Ken because they dont know the game at all.

I agree somewhat, but it really just should be a unlock code for TO and people who dont want to deal with that shit

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I just learned that yesterday, Funimation got the rights to One Piece Season 8, which covers
Marineford and the episodes that follow it leading into the timeskip
. Meaning Toonami has enough One Piece to last until Episode 516 (when it's dubbed of course)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
???

You can still try all the characters if they're unlocked by default
You can, sure, but people have short attention spans, and make decisions swiftly. Incentivizing them to check everything out heightens the chance they'll experience everything, before making a decision.

Products are very rarely made for advanced users only. They're made for the simplest player, and in a way that'll attempt to push them through everything the creators took the time to make.

I think he's arguing is that it gives players the drive to try out all characters as opposed to in SF where everyone just plays Ken because they dont know the game at all.

I agree somewhat, but it really just should be a unlock code for TO and people who dont want to deal with that shit

DOA 5 has a touney mode that unlocks everything earnable in that mode... but disables Achievements / Trophies. So you still have to do it for the "real" game, but it's great for those who really don't care about all that stuff. Always thought it was a good compromise.

I just learned that yesterday, Funimation got the rights to One Piece Season 8, which covers
Marineford and the episodes that follow it leading into the timeskip
. Meaning Toonami has enough One Piece to last until Episode 516 (when it's dubbed of course)

Nice. Biggest issue I'll have watching the next arc on Toonami is
twice where the war gets put on hold to give every character half an episode to themselves. Binging through it wasn't bad but I can see people losing interest while the main battle goes away for a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom