• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb16| Dimension Dub-For-You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizerman

There's one particular trope that I associate with romance anime that is just the bane of my existence.

Generally what happens is something inconsequential happens to one person in a relationship.
His or her partner notices, instantly makes a huge assumption like "Oh, he must be cheating on me!" based on nothing, and then spends the rest of the episode/or episodes avoiding the issue/person like a child.

Use your words! YOUR WORDS DAMMIT!

Not just relationships, more general than that.

How many times has conflict arisen because one character doesn't give another the chance to speak?

Oh god, yes!

That artificial way to extend drama at times. It gets irritating.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'd say that's more of an annoying trope in ANY media, not just anime.

*person noticing something with person they like in an misunderstanding or whatever*

"Wait, let me explain!"

*person doesn't get the chance to explain, as other persno walks out in anger/sadness*

TV Tropes probably has a name for it.

Yeah I really hate that. I was playing Gravity Rush and you and another character start fighting for no reason and neither parties try and explain what they are doing...for no reason.

That was my key to stop paying attention to the plot. If your entire plot hinges on the fact that nobody will tell anyone anything so that drama can be made you suck.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh yeah, also kind of annoying when the person DOES try to explain the misunderstanding but then person #2 is like "LIKE I'D BELIEVE THAT LIE".

Is it better or worse when the conflict caused by not talking to each other ends up having no influence on anything like in the current Bleach manga arc?
Uryu and Ichigo didn't even get a fight scene, unless you really want to count that part where Uryu fires a few arrows at him

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'd say that's more of an annoying trope in ANY media, not just anime.

*person noticing something with person they like in an misunderstanding or whatever*

"Wait, let me explain!"

*person doesn't get the chance to explain, as other persno walks out in anger/sadness*

TV Tropes probably has a name for it.

I hate that shit so much, so much.

Regiruler

Not just relationships, more general than that.

How many times has conflict arisen because one character doesn't give another the chance to speak?
Wheel of Time was so stupid with this that I'm half convinced it was the progenitor of modern anime.

Granted it never devolved into outright combat like in rib's example and they were countries away, but rumor spreads quickly.

EDIT: I'd also say jordan knew when to cave in the dramatic irony before it became literally painful to the reader. The major "I am the protagonist" drop only lasted for a third of a book before Rand went "yeah I have MCitis".

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
"Not What It Looks Like" is the trope I mentioned earlier. See also: "Can't Spit It Out", "Poor Communication Kills".

Crocodile

I agree with everyone else that misunderstandings that occur solely because people can't be bothered to talk to each other like adults (or even reasonable human beings) is super frustrating.

On another note, the opening for the new Powerpuff Girls is pretty good. As a warning, it has the same opening narration but a different song, which could be a bit jarring. It's a shame that the actual show clips aren't as promising.

I like the animation & art in this opening but yeah, hearing the classic narration followed up by a brand new song is super jarring.

That's probably true but to be honest I haven't watched any CN stuff regularly for like...five years. I've seen one episode of SU, a good number of Adventure Time and none of stuff like Gumball and they all start to run together at some point.

I'd say it might behoove you to watch some more of those shows before saying they all blend together. I will concur though that, on average, it very rare for an American animation to impress me visually/artistically nowadays. Some, including the most popular ones, are down right ugly. However, some of the ones you just mentioned are among the few that can actually be lookers from time to time. Unrelated, I still stand by my opinion that, on average, American cartoons are written better.

BTW, are you watching Venture Brothers? You should watch Venture Borthers.

If you guys want some good western animated action, check out the DC animated movies.

giphy.gif

batman-bad-blood-ag-01.gif

tumblr_n0dqsbhGqX1too3tro1_400.gif

Crocodile

The best US animation in a long time.

What do we have left?

Steven Universe (infinite droughts between bombs)
Friendship is Magic (off season break)
RWBY(lol) (off season break)

rip

RWBY is actually a legitimately good shonen anime now though

There still the TMNT 2012 TV show too though to be honest the most recent seasons/episodes have kind of lost me.

Seems like a waste for DC to make these movies and not even have them air on television.

Outside of CN/Adult Swim, what other network would air a serious-toned animated action flick?
None.

Seriously. I get that DC likes money but they aren't doing themselves any favors pricing themselves out of TV space (if that is indeed what is happening).

Seems like a waste for DC to make these movies and not even have them air on television.

Outside of CN/Adult Swim, what other network would air a serious-toned animated action flick?
None.

Not that it means much from an American perspective but here in Canada both YTV and Teletoon do air more serious-toned animated action films. YTV is a less common occurrence than Teletoon however.

RWBY is actually a legitimately good shonen anime now though

Yeah, although it took several years and the creator wasn't able to see it happen, RWBY has finally become a show I can enjoy unironically for what it is rather than supporting it just because of the underdog story/the lack of US action cartoons.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The opening has more animation and style than the clips from the show.

I still can't believe none of the original PPG voices are returning.

Yet they got Tom Kenny. Unless that's just going to be an archive recording and there will be no narration, and the Mayor will be someone else (which would stand out worse than the new PPG voices)

Starts up Fallout 4 to see if the Patch improved the gameplay.
Game does seem to run a bit smoother.
Comes to a building, sees that all the ghouls spawned in the wall and are just posing in it.

Yep, it's still a Bethesda game.

The opening has more animation and style than the clips from the show.

I still can't believe none of the original PPG voices are returning.

What makes it so weird is that
1. All of the VAs for the girls are still very active.
2. They went out of their way to get the original VAs for Teen Titans Go. Including Tara Strong, who also voiced Bubbles.

Jarate

Banned
2. They went out of their way to get the original VAs for Teen Titans Go. Including Tara Strong, who also voiced Bubbles.
g
Makes me think there's gonna be a huge tonal shift like TT Go and they don't want to confuse viewers with the old VA's

You ready for more slice of life!?

g
Makes me think there's gonna be a huge tonal shift like TT Go and they don't want to confuse viewers with the old VA's

You ready for more slice of life!?

They clearly weren't worried about that with Teen Titans Go, so why would that be a factor here? The obvious explanation, and likely the correct one, is that they were just being cheap.

Mizerman

Starts up Fallout 4 to see if the Patch improved the gameplay.
Game does seem to run a bit smoother.
Comes to a building, sees that all the ghouls spawned in the wall and are just posing in it.

Yep, it's still a Bethesda game.

Should be the official slogan.

Yeah, it's strange.

Line_HTX

The all black Namco stick I have probably doesn't work on PC. I might just get that small ass Alpha Plus or something.

All I got is a stick with no system, and I haven't played any FG in months...

I might be the only one but maaaaaaaaaaaaaan I don't give a fuck about fighting game single players.

Yo, dude... Tell me about it!! My primary game is Tekken and even I don't give two shits about what happened in the story. Sure I killed time playing the god awful Scenario Campaign of Tekken 6, and sure I went to go see Tekken Blood Vengance, but it wasn't like I was super into the story. With the exception of Blazblue, all I care about is how my characters play in Tekken and Persona.

I feel like too many people care for an FG story when it doesn't need to be all that important...

>_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom