• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb16| Dimension Dub-For-You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarate

Banned
Only 402 posts and he's been active since 2012?
Ultimate Scrub status.

EDIT: Holy fuck Line how is your PpD above 30. Are you dealing drugs in the bowels of community?

I mostly lurked for a long while when rock band gaf died out. I used to be down to like 2 posts per day before Toonami gaf started

Line_HTX

EDIT: Holy fuck Line how is your PpD above 30. Are you dealing drugs in the bowels of community?

LOL. It's mostly the NFL season, is all. And then there's Anime, Toonami, and Fighting Game Headquarters.

I don't know why you would ask me that anyway. Just look at LaFarebear. He has a higher rate than I do.

:p

ckohler

What makes a great OP or ED is more than just the music. It's the the animation, tone, and story-telling combined with the music. They're basically music videos so, to me, it's wrong to judge them based solely on the song.

im assuming it's better then the BATCHAKOI ED

That's a given since the Bacchikoi ED is terrible, imo. About the only thing it has going for it is some ultra-campy fanservice. Every time it airs, I feel embarrassed for Toonami fans.

Jarate

Banned
What makes a great OP or ED is more than just the music. It's the the animation, tone, and story-telling combined with the music. They're basically music videos so, to me, it's wrong to judge them based solely on the song.

That's a given since the Bacchikoi ED is terrible, imo. About the only thing it has going for it is some ultra-campy fanservice.

Meh, im a big pretentious asshole when it comes to music (idk why, not like that with much outside of that :p) so a bad song can ruin really good animation, while a good song can redeem bad animation, but most Japanese music used is pretty BLEH

There needs to be more Prog Rock songs used, it's the ultimate anime genre!

ckohler

Meh, im a big pretentious asshole when it comes to music (idk why, not like that with much outside of that :p) so a bad song can ruin really good animation, while a good song can redeem bad animation, but most Japanese music used is pretty BLEH

There needs to be more Prog Rock songs used, it's the ultimate anime genre!

Oh, I agree about the bad song with good animation ruining them. All I meant was that for an OP or ED to be great, it needs more than just good music. Sometimes, I see people saying an OP is great simply because of the song even when the animation or tone of the OP is uninspired.

Seda

I think the opening's music is good. The slight techno/electronica works and seems to fit the show. The first 40 seconds are better than the rest.The MC dancing is fun, but the car clip drags for too long as does the alley clip.

The ending vocals I'm not too much a fan but they aren't bad. I quite like the animation/style when the android is in the yellowed panels. The hoodie clips and window washing (seemingly representing a normal mundane human task being done by a non-human) might be more resonant when I know more about the character.

Seda OP/ED thoughts 2016™

artworks-000147711669-fxvy1k-t300x300.jpg

https://soundcloud.com/couchpotatosaga/ep14

The Life of Pablo - 39:48 / 47:12 (after Tidal tangent)
Deadpool - 54:38
Bardock: The Father of Goku - 1:06:47

"We feel like Pablo when we review Deadpool, Bardock: The Father of Goku, and Kanye West's new album. But first, we discuss Batman v Superman's last trailer, Assassin's Creed, and hot dogs at Burger King. We also go off on tangents about Tidal, Pirates of the Caribbean, and the illustrious career of Michael Ironside."

I like Bardock because it's a departure from the formula, but in a way I think that's what's carrying it? The movie/special itself isn't great in the second half and it has some definite issues such as its attempts to redeem Bardock near the end (can anyone confirm if that's a dub-only thing?), but it feels fresh compared to everything else we've watched. I guess it serves to reiterate the point that a great DBZ movie (or special in this case) is not necessarily a great movie, though I did still enjoy Bardock.

Rankings-
1. The World's Strongest (Piccolo out of Piccolo)
2. The Dead Zone (Vegeta out of Piccolo)
3. Bardock: The Father of Goku (Vegeta out of Piccolo)
4. Lord Slug (Gohan out of Piccolo)
5. Cooler's Revenge (Gohan out of Piccolo)
6. Tree of Might (Krillin out of Piccolo)
7. The Return of Cooler (Krillin out of Piccolo)

"We feel like Pablo when we review Deadpool, Bardock: The Father of Goku, and Kanye West's new album. But first, we discuss Batman v Superman's last trailer, Assassin's Creed, and hot dogs at Burger King. We also go off on tangents about Tidal, Pirates of the Caribbean, and the illustrious career of Michael Ironside."

I like Bardock because it's a departure from the formula, but in a way I think that's what's carrying it? The movie/special itself isn't great in the second half and it has some definite issues such as its attempts to redeem Bardock near the end (can anyone confirm if that's a dub-only thing?), but it feels fresh compared to everything else we've watched. I guess it serves to reiterate the point that a great DBZ movie (or special in this case) is not necessarily a great movie, though I did still enjoy Bardock.
I can confirm the dub like Goku tried to make Bardock far more heroic. The dub is quite frankly one of Funimation's worst and literally every character was changed from the original.

Here's a great write up from Kanzenshuu on how hacked up the dub was.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17295

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19383

Jarate

Banned
ah, similar to angry kirby eyebrows syndrome

Unlike Angry Kirby, changing Goku and Bardock into more "herolike" characters worked wonders for them and really appealed to Western wants.

Kirby eyebrows are weird, as everyone who wants to play Kirby want to play it because it's a cutesy platformer

Puruzi

Banned
Unlike Angry Kirby, changing Goku and Bardock into more "herolike" characters worked wonders for them and really appealed to Western wants.

Kirby eyebrows are weird, as everyone who wants to play Kirby want to play it because it's a cutesy platformer

the final bosses of every Kirby game are always some fucked up thing though

I can confirm the dub like Goku tried to make Bardock far more heroic. The dub is quite frankly one of Funimation's worst and literally every character was changed from the original.

Yeesh. Well that explains that. Bardock's whole last minute redemption in the dub is pretty much nonsense.

Rankings-
1. The World's Strongest (Piccolo out of Piccolo)
2. The Dead Zone (Vegeta out of Piccolo)
3. Bardock: The Father of Goku (Vegeta out of Piccolo)
4. Lord Slug (Gohan out of Piccolo)
5. Cooler's Revenge (Gohan out of Piccolo)
6. Tree of Might (Krillin out of Piccolo)
7. The Return of Cooler (Krillin out of Piccolo)

The dub definitely tried to make Bardock come off as a better person which really doesn't work. Generally speaking, the dub is pretty bad which sucks. A shame the audio quality for the sub is horrendous for this one.

Crocodile

After playing Project X Boring I don't think I actually want to play Super Robot Wars, just watch a supercut of all the super moves.

Are you talking about the 1st game or the 2nd? I heard the 1st game had issues but I had hoped they worked on that for the 2nd game....

I had no idea. Bad Funimation! Bad!

the final bosses of every Kirby game are always some fucked up thing though

Real talk, the end boss to like every other Kriby game is an Eldritch Abomination. It's a really weird series in that respect.

Seda

Don't get me wrong.

I do think it is certainly very possible for a dub or localization to improve on some elements or characters with certain types of changes. I think people are sometimes way, way too quick the enshrine what is 'original'.

But Bardock's persona always felt weird to me in English, even as a youngster. Not too surprising that it's quite the departure from what it was and it doesn't really fit.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Never forget when dubbing DBZ Funimation had to go under the assumption that no one in their audience knew or even cared about Dragonball, which is what explains why Goku ended up the way he did (head trauma!)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Never forget when dubbing DBZ Funimation had to go under the assumption that no one in their audience knew or even cared about Dragonball, which is what explains why Goku ended up the way he did (head trauma!)

They were not wrong at a certain point.

On the subject of Fire Emblem, and kind of RPG in general, how do people here feel about grinding?

Because as weird as it may sound, I sometimes take some pleasure in just grinding. Getting my units super buff.

Soulflarz

Banned
I hope everyone here enjoys the new Fire Emblem

unless you dont play on Classic, then you're dead to me

IT HASN'T SHIPPED YET
DAMMIT BEST BUY
DAMN
YOU

On the subject of Fire Emblem, and kind of RPG in general, how do people here feel about grinding?

Because as weird as it may sound, I sometimes take some pleasure in just grinding. Getting my units super buff.

Many of us play SMT
rip us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom