• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb16| Dimension Dub-For-You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seda

untitledk9agk.png

TUSR

Banned
First is bland as can be.

Second adds some personality, no matter how obnoxious. They have like 60 characters to deal with.

Literal translations are awful.

I definitely don't disagree, but the frequency in which I have run into groan worthy dialogue is disappointing.

Game is good as hell, so im overlooking all this stuff.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
(that's user created, think Bravely Default special attack quips)

I figured as much. I get the feeling Nintendo treats the Donkey Kong Country cartoon the same way they treat the CD-I games. In that it never existed.

Apparently people are overly angry about silly lines in Support Conversations. Because that's never happened before...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I definitely don't disagree, but the frequency in which I have run into groan worthy dialogue is disappointing.

I'm not super far in yet (
just finished meeting the rainbow sage
), but so far the translation seems perfectly fine.

LICH KING DEMARCO ‏@Clarknova1 11m11 minutes ago

Ya boi, in a cab in Tokyo, feeling extremely jet lagged

I wonder what presents he's going to bring us!

I figured as much. I get the feeling Nintendo treats the Donkey Kong Country cartoon the same way they treat the CD-I games. In that it never existed.

Apparently people are overly angry about silly lines in Support Conversations. Because that's never happened before...

That's dumb. I can assure that those exist in the Japanese version.

Plus its Fire Emblem, if you are going to be anal about "UMMM, CHANGING THIS ONE LINE OF DIALOGUE IN A THROWAWAY CONVERSATION COMPLETELY RUINS THIS CHARACTERS ARC" then shut up no it doesn't, its Fire Emblem Awakening's sequel where everyone looks the same as the last game where everyone was a gimmick.

TUSR

Banned
That's dumb. I can assure that those exist in the Japanese version.

Plus its Fire Emblem, if you are going to be anal about "UMMM, CHANGING THIS ONE LINE OF DIALOGUE IN A THROWAWAY CONVERSATION COMPLETELY RUINS THIS CHARACTERS ARC" then shut up no it doesn't, its Fire Emblem Awakening's sequel where everyone looks the same as the last game where everyone was a gimmick.

i cant even be mad at the translation

i got the best waifu

game is solid as fuck, and thats like 95% of the reason im playing it

and most of the support convos dont really do shit for the story, they're almost

Silly support conversations is the REASON FOR SUPPORT conversations. Only three or four characters max are well written and fleshed out enough that they can actually handle a mature vignette. Instead most of these chucklefucks need to be weirdos doing weird things with each other.

non-canon

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Silly support conversations is the REASON FOR SUPPORT conversations. Only three or four characters max are well written and fleshed out enough that they can actually handle a mature vignette. Instead most of these chucklefucks need to be weirdos doing weird things with each other.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Practically the only problem with Radiant Dawn is that the cast swelled to such a degree that real supports just weren't in the budget.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Radiant Dawn would have been better with a smaller cast and if they had just stuck with the old cast.

Nah, the best bit of the whole game was the two armies clashing and for that you needed the giant cast.

DB just needed better units all around.

NoA's translation for FE Fates is atrocious.

What a butchered version.

I think the translation is fine. Better than I expected.

That said the removal of the swimsuits is the stupidest instance of censorship from them I've ever seen (and yes in this case it is censorship).

TUSR

Banned

That said the removal of the swimsuits is the stupidest instance of censorship from them I've ever seen (and yes in this case it is censorship).

r u telling me i cant see camilla in a bathing suit?

Seda

Usually the things that are censored I don't really care about. Not that I'm pro-censorship, but I'm not gonna get upset that I can't watch 8 year olds bathe (from some Compile Heart JRPG I can't remember the name)

But things like the swimsuits in FE and the boob-slider in XBX are just weird removals. Like, most every game with a character creator has a boob slider. I remember playing a Sims game on PS2 with one in like 2003. It was rated Teen. Not sure why that had to be removed ?_?

Usually the things that are censored I don't really care about. Not that I'm pro-censorship, but I'm not gonna get upset that I can't watch 8 year olds bathe (from some Compile Heart JRPG I can't remember the name)

But things like the swimsuits in FE and the boob-slider in XBX are just weird removals. Like, most every game with a character creator has a boob slider. I remember playing a Sims game on PS2 with one in like 2003. It was rated Teen. Not sure why that had to be removed ?_?

I feel like for every change Nintendo makes that I'm okay with (Making Lin look like a nudist beach reject when wearing a bikini, removing the rubbing of your soilders in Fates) There's always something altered that's just baffling or outright stupid like the two you mentioned.

TUSR

Banned

Im not familiar with Xenoblade, but does the character you play as function as a self insert?

As in, you are the toon you generate.

Nope. Considering Xenoblade X kept the swimsuits for the west, Nintendo is essentially sending this message.

http://i.imgur.com/z7XPa5L.png

A little consistency is all I'm asking for Nintendo.

Not as bad as the SF V ass slap removal but keeping Laura's story mode outfit in. Just look that up if you don't know.

If anything, this inconsistence (or whatever you want to call it) serves to confuse people.

Imagine if FE was on a console and had the graphical presentation its cutscenes had for the whole game...

ANYWAYS, I hope Dimension W finds an identity after that first episode. I want to like it.

that localization conversation is going to be fun/awful

I bet you and the rest of the mods are dreading the inevitable "#FE censored/altered for western release thread" that will come up in a couple months.

It's so blatantly choreographed at this point, that I already have my statement when it comes up.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I bet you and the rest of the mods are dreading the inevitable "#FE censored/altered for western release thread" that will come up in a couple months.

It's so blatantly choreographed at this point, that I already have my statement when it comes up.

No need to worry, no one actually played that game!

Changing up #FE makes even less sense. It's a niche game about idols and singers with stands, what do you even change to make it sell to 50 more people

Yet if they called it Persona 5 no one would blink an eye. Double standards. Probably sell 200k as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom