• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb16| Dimension Dub-For-You

Status
Not open for further replies.
Year of dreams, y'all! Year of dreams. My friends always make fun of me for sticking to my guns and not playing Mother 3 the unsavory way but now ill have the last laugh. Believe it!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The only show I can think of with filler as good as the regular content is Yu-Gi-Oh. One could also argue the whole thing is filler considering where the manga goes.

There's still plenty of good filler though, G8 arc in One Piece, a couple of bits of Naruto filler hell and some of their one offs.

The main strengths of non-canon is the ability to shine light on some of the minor characters or maybe flesh out some backstories, provide some light action/a change of pace. The best of non-canon is almost always comedy/slice of life stuff.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
One Piece has a pretty impressive run coming up from the last episode of filler (A ONE OFF YOU CANNOT MISS FOR ANY REASON) that will last basically uninterrupted until the movie filler happens. There's two two shot fillers, one at the end of the next arc, one at the end of the arc after that, and a few cover stories expanded into episodes that some people may or may not like, but I think we're looking at One Piece being mostly above average if not outright great for the next two years.

One Piece has a pretty impressive run coming up from the last episode of filler (A ONE OFF YOU CANNOT MISS FOR ANY REASON) that will last basically uninterrupted until the movie filler happens. There's two two shot fillers, one at the end of the next arc, one at the end of the arc after that, and a few cover stories expanded into episodes that some people may or may not like, but I think we're looking at One Piece being mostly above average if not outright great for the next two years.

Eh, I remember the next canon arc being fairly dull until the end.

What do you guys think is the worst filler arc you've ever seen?

I'll tell you one thing, Fairy Tail has abysmal filler arcs.

This recent arc in Naruto might take the cake though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Eh, I remember the next canon arc being fairly dull until the end.

I've really grown to love it over the years.

You are right though that I've never seen it week to week and always binge watched it, which I feel probably makes the pacing feel just right. I think its the funniest arc by far and that is one of those things that will raise my opinion of any arc/show higher.

Been watching it dubbed lately though and wow, it's probably the best the dub has ever been. They nailed all of the new roles.

What do you guys think is the worst filler arc you've ever seen?

I'll tell you one thing, Fairy Tail has abysmal filler arcs.

This recent arc in Naruto might take the cake though.

I don't know man, Bleach filler is fucking terrible. This is probably the worst Naruto filler though, unless something during the recent arc is just as bad.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The final arc of Rurouni Kenshin literally killed the anime. So while it's not the worst non-canon™ thing I've ever watched it's definitely the most offensive.

Naruto Shippuden though, man, that's got the bad filler game on lock seemingly. Messing up the Chunin Exam for the rest of the jobbers, the easiest slam dunk filler of all time has got to be up there.

I find fillers arcs are often based off good ideas.

The current filler arc in Naruto could be interesting if it actually explored the series in a new direction, rather than just mixing it up slightly.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The final arc of Rurouni Kenshin literally killed the anime. So while it's not the worst non-canon™ thing I've ever watched it's definitely the most offensive.

Naruto Shippuden though, man, that's got the bad filler game on lock seemingly. Messing up the Chunin Exam for the rest of the jobbers, the easiest slam dunk filler of all time has got to be up there.

Kenshin had the same sort of filler hell Naruto did, only the arc that never got animated is better than anything in Naruto and it's a damn shame they never adapted it.

Raxus

Sad thing is that doesn't even technically count though it is certainly a stonesthrow away from rape. Asuna was inches away from getting tentacle raped (I hope) and Bad Luck Brian in GXP got straight up raped.

Toonami was a mistake...

Line_HTX

I don't know man, Bleach filler is fucking terrible. This is probably the worst Naruto filler though, unless something during the recent arc is just as bad.

The only one I tried to watch before not finishing and skipping ahead when it came back to canon was the Bount arc. I don't know how the other arcs were like that one that cut into the middle of the Hueco Mundo arc or the one before the Fullbring one.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Factually wrong unless you completely blotted out particular episodes.

I'd like to remind you we had a couple episodes featuring rape on Toonami.
Yeah, but that's what we expected out of SAO. We knew it was gonna be stupid.

What I DIDN'T expect was a bad-ass swordsman who was rescued from his execution, fought Mihawk and survived, and did that Asura-style move to finish off a GIANT SWORDS-GIRAFFE-MAN, among other cool moments, to play babysitter because 2 annoying brats kept being all BIG BRO BIG BRO BIG BRO BIG BRO BIG BRO BIG BRO BIG BRO BIG BRO BIG BRO BIG BRO BIG BRO and having to stand his ground against a single house mom while watching over kids & a baby.

They took a character, which okay, he had a few silly moments & his quirks like getting lost, & ruined everything that made him enjoyable by putting him in a situation that's cliche, stupid, & overall not enjoyable.

If it doesn't qualify for worst Toonami episode, it easily gets nominated for worst One Piece episode.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That episode is dope friend Zonic. Trust me, I'm the master of Non-Canon™ and those dumb gags are just what the doctor ordered.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
HOT TAKE:

this One Piece arc is kinda fun
Now that we're focusing on the actual villains & not so much on Captain Sir-Who-Shall-Never-Appear-Again-After-This-Arc, it's gotten a bit more interesting & has its moments (like with Sanji & Usopp vs. the ice-skating couple). If anything, it's inoffensive at worst.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This is my least favorite One Piece Filler arc.

I don't know why, but this one has always rubbed me the wrong way. It might be just down to Captain Puzzle making it to the New World...but then I remember that I didn't like this arc before I even knew what the New World was like. It's not the kid, who while annoying isn't anything special for One Piece filler. It's not the lame powers of most of the villainous family, though that doesn't help. It might have something to do with the stupidity of worrying about a flag, though Davy Back proved that was some serious shit among pirates. I think what got me the most was the length and how much I was looking forward to what is coming next. Fishman island is so close we can taste it! Sanji will go berserk when he sees a mermaid for the first time!

Line_HTX

Alright, tell me more from your point of view please. When I finally reached the end like around the last 10 episodes or so, I thought it was just going to be some mini-arc adventure and then they'll do some more crap in Kyoto. But then the final 5 episodes was like some convoluted way of showing feng shui and I literally had no clue what was going on. Needless to say, the ending left a sour taste in my mouth wondering why the fuck was this show 95 episodes.

The pacing was all over the place too, like nothing was ever coherent besides two "clans" fighting.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
There's also the fact we clearly saw them with a SECOND flag, so I don't get why this particular one was so special, unless it was the one they made for the Going Merry originally....so then did they make up the second one as well or did someone use the Copy-Copy Fruit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom