• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Feb16| Dimension Dub-For-You

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

I like pads for fighting games as well (I find double taps for dashing ect almost impossible of a stick), but I really don't like the PS4 dpad from the time I've spent in the Beta and with GGXrd

Leaning towards PC because Xbox One controller has an amazing DPad, but shit triggers

Seda

Since we got quite a few FE fans here, you might be interested to hear that the Live2d assets and everything that comes with it have been retained in the Western release. The Rubadubdub minigame is still gone though.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1180013

Sounds like the best case scenario imo. Characters can still be 'intimate', the in-game bonuses for supports are intact, and the nonsensical awkward petting is removed.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Sounds like the best case scenario imo. Characters can still be 'intimate', the in-game bonuses for supports are intact, and the nonsensical awkward petting is removed.

I can dig it.

I wouldn't mind if the petting was still there, but this is a good compromise.

I do see people complaining about the lack of Japanese voices. Meh...

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Way to false advertise your handheld slogan, Nintendo! If "Touching Is Good", when why would you remove it?!

Kind of wish they confirmed this earlier so the internet didn't get into a bigger frenzy than it did

Mizerman

I can dig it.

I wouldn't mind if the petting was still there, but this is a good compromise.

I do see people complaining about the lack of Japanese voices. Meh...

I figured that was going to happen.

Way to false advertise your handheld slogan, Nintendo! If "Touching Is Good", when why would you remove it?!

Kind of wish they confirmed this earlier so the internet didn't get into a bigger frenzy than it did

Let's face it. It would still be a frenzy even if this was confirmed earlier.

Are we allowed to discuss Eva 3.33 here? i just picked it up today but havent watched it yet. anybody think it may air on toonami at some poitn or are they done with movies?

We're finally getting an Ace Attorney anime.
1218655229323.gif

Finally.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Where's my Ace Attorney x Detective Pikachu crossover?

Still need to check out that live-action AA movie, I heard it was actually rather decent.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
There's an amazing $400 figurine of the final Gurren Lagann form that's perhaps one of the only times where I actually was tempted to spend money on a figurine. Only 300 of them were made.

Also now I want a Yoko & Nia spin-off show done in the style of Panty & Stocking because it looks like that was the style they were trying to go with for those figures.

Edit: The figure I was talking about:

4179112892_323eaa58fa_o.jpg

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
There's an amazing $400 figurine of the final Gurren Lagann form that's perhaps one of the only times where I actually was tempted to spend money on a figurine. Only 300 of them were made.

Also now I want a Yoko & Nia spin-off show done in the style of Panty & Stocking because it looks like that was the style they were trying to go with for those figures.

Edit: The figure I was talking about:

4179112892_323eaa58fa_o.jpg

If I had $400 to burn I would have bought one of those in a goddamned heartbeat and I'm not big on collectables.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I have an announcement to make.

This isn't even my final form. I've ascended to a level BEYOND non-canon™

I'm tempted to make a thread about the dub only Japanese games but I'm not sure the best way to go about with it. I'll probably think of a good way in the morning.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm tempted to make a thread about the dub only Japanese games but I'm not sure the best way to go about with it. I'll probably think of a good way in the morning.

One point to always bring up in a dub thread.

If it's not live action, i.e. it's a game or animation, and it has spoken dialogue in it, then it is a dubbed. Doesn't matter the initial language.

This isn't to say that dub tracks in the language of origin aren't often better than secondary languages, they usually are because of budgetary reasons, because the creator's care more about that version, or because of other cultural reasons.

I really think the future lies in selling/giving away Japanese audio tracks for games for the fans who absolutely need to have it that way. I think its a great way to make a little extra money selling a collector's edition that includes it, or giving it away as day one DLC so you don't have to put it on a cramped cart for Vita/3DS games.

Seda

For games, generally speaking, dual audio is obviously the best option if feasible.

If that's "impossible" and you can only get one track due to money or space, go Japanese if it's a niche game with lower sales expectations (basically cater to the niche when adding English isn't going to broaden the audience anyway), go English if you need to meet high sales targets for a game with potentially broader appeal. Of course the issue then becomes to define where that line is between broad and niche appeal.

I tend to prefer English unless the game is more photorealistic (like Toukiden or Yakuza). I play a lot of JP-only games anyway, honestly I inadvertently tend to tune out the VA though.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
For games, generally speaking, dual audio is obviously the best option if feasible.

If that's "impossible" and you can only get one track due to money or space, go Japanese if it's a niche game with lower sales expectations (basically cater to the niche when adding English isn't going to broaden the audience anyway), go English if you need to meet high sales targets for a game with potentially broader appeal. Of course the issue then becomes to define where that line is between broad and niche appeal.

I tend to prefer English unless the game is more photorealistic (like Toukiden or Yakuza). I play a lot of JP-only games anyway, honestly I inadvertently tend to tune out the VA though.

I have the same thoughts for the most part, with Atlus games being about the sales line where you go English, no Japanese. So look at their average sales in the US and use that as the number.

I'm glad Japanese publishers realized they could localize games like Digimon Cyber Sleuth and One Piece Musou with no English dub because the people that would buy those games likely don't care.

We're getting Gundam games now, even. Well a shitty one, but probably more later.

Pirate Warriors 3 did...120k in the US I think? That's enough to make localization worth it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm glad Japanese publishers realized they could localize games like Digimon Cyber Sleuth and One Piece Musou with no English dub because the people that would buy those games likely don't care.

Not gonna lie; I'd buy more One Piece games if they had the Funi dub. Lately the only ones I've purchased are Unlimited World Red for a couple of platforms as it becomes super cheap.

Seda

Digimon games have always been 'Japanese only' anyway. I remember that Engrish in Digimon World 2!

I'm only being partially serious.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I'm in full agreement Seda.

We're getting Gundam games now, even. Well a shitty one, but probably more later.

What's wrong with Gundam Extreme Vs.?

tbh I never cared about Digimon much (designs are dumb) but Cyber Sleuth looked like a cool Pokemon/SMT hybrid thing and it's pretty fun so far.

But the designs ARE dumb.

What's wrong with Gundam Extreme Vs.?

Japanese fans are upset because it is lacking game modes that are considered a series standard and key features and Bamco is being accused of rushing the game out for easy profit from Gundam fans. It's not been received well.

Seda

Eh. I generally prefer the English dub of video games and would rather listen to that.

I generally agree although there are always exceptions. I just, for whatever reason, like being able to understand every inflection and intonation of every syllable. Those convey <information> for me better than just the general, more vague (to me) tones I can catch in Japanese. Also, it can help me with memory too (essentially 'playing back' the line in one's head)

But, for example, I was talking to a friend today about playing Arc Rise Fantasia at some point... I might go emulator + undub for that, haha. There are limits!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
No, you gotta experience that ARF raw. Uncut. In it's pure distilled form.

Also since when does Seda actually play older games?

I've watched enough (too much) anime and played enough JP audio only games that it doesn't bother me either way, but the choice is still nice.

Although if a game has Tomokazu Sugita or Miyuki Sawashiro in it I'm going JP audio. Even over Blum.

And it turns out Sugita was in Awakening and Sawashiro is in Fates! WOW!!!

Seda

Also since when does Seda actually play older games?

I try to throw in some older games pretty frequently. Last year I played the full Suikoden series, Full Ys series (although those releases aren't that old), and full Mana series, Grandia Xtreme, Final Fantasy Mystic Quest.

Before that I did Grandia, Wild Arms, lots of SMT games.

I've cleared Dragon Quest 1-3 so far this year!

By the way Grandia Xtreme's dub is awfulllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll. Even Mark Hamill can't save it.

The worst current gaming trend/change in this current gen I can think of.

I'd buy various anime license games if they weren't partial translations, but if they are going to half ass their efforts, they get nothing from me.

SAO, JoJo, DBFC, NitroPlus, J-Stars? I'm familiar with those properties to some degree and might be interested in the game. But thanks to Namco and others? Money saved.

We shall see what happens with Arslan Warriors and both Koei and Capcom's AoT games.

Part of me is tempted to keep up with DBZ and Naruto game releases, (which get PC and X1 versions too!), if only I could attach a survey to my purchase letting them know that I'm supporting the actual effort investment of giving the game greater mass appeal in the US rather than the self fulfilling prophecy of a game guaranteeing its assumed niche status with decisions like digital only or sub only.

It's only a problem when the translation or localization sucks like with SAO.

And the worst trend this gen is all AAA games turning into open worlds because open worlds are bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom