• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan14| See you, Space Cowboy. Hello, Space Dandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Space Dandy had one scene at space hooters establishing him as a loser that just happens to be hooters aka waitresses wear skimpy outfits. The scene isn't well done, but to say it's ruined because fanservice is just wrong unless all girls in outfits that show boobs are fanservice.

Space Dandy spent the first - and a big emphasis on the word FIRST -10 minutes, nearly half the show, emphasizing on its sexual focus. It's not a single scene. It's basically half the episode.

Space Dandy spent the first - and a big emphasis on the word FIRST -10 minutes, nearly half the show, emphasizing on its sexual focus. It's not a single scene. It's basically half the episode.

half of those 10 minutes were QT looking at aliens, Dandy calling him outdated, and then Dandy chasing after a space cat. does that not count just because it took place at Space Hooters?

kayos90

half of those 10 minutes were QT looking at aliens, Dandy calling him outdated, and then Dandy chasing after a space cat. does that not count just because it took place at Space Hooters?

touche.

Dandy went to Hooters in Space. What's the big deal? Were people really expecting dramatic storytelling from the previews?

Just because what I was expecting turned out to be what it actually is doesn't mean I don't have to say anything. Expectations have no factor in my argument at all.

And half of that was qt and dandy talking about clients or lack there of, meow being chased by dandy, and dandy monologuing to himself while honey doesn't pay attention. It wasn't 10 minutes of "durr boobs"

Edit: gmn said what I did

The cat is established as a pervert who takes pictures of girls boobs and crotches, where was dandy supposed to meet him besides space hooters? Space beach?
I just want to point out that this was awful character development. That's pretty much all we learned about Meow in the first episode, hopefully his backstory (no, not THAT backstory) and motivations are explored in the 2nd episode because he seems interesting.

Kayos just wants to remember what he wants to remember, regardless of whether it helps his argument or not.

>.>

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

It's as sexually focused as Johnny Bravo or The Blues Brothers 2000(a bad movie yes, but it did start off in a strip club which makes my point). It started in Space Hooters and with Dandys speech to show us what a looser he is, not to tittilate us. That's an important distinction that you're not making when you say it has a sexual focus.

kayos90

Kayos just wants to remember what he wants to remember, regardless of whether it helps his argument or not.

>.>

If I were you I'd rather not resort to asides and ad hominems as a way of argumentation. It brings down the quality of the discussion and all it does is make you look like a mediocre poster. =D

It's as sexually focused as Johnny Bravo or The Blues Brothers 2000(a bad movie yes, but it did start off in a strip club which makes my point). It started in Space Hooters and with Dandys speech to show us what a looser he is, not to tittilate us. That's an important distinction that you're not making when you say it has a sexual focus.

They could've shown in other ways that he was a loser with the ladies. Like I said, it was a decision.

Ah yes, the focus where Dandy is basically talking to himself and it's acknowledged by his sidekick that he never listens to these ramblings and that they're wasting time even talking about it in the first place (through the breaking of the fourth wall).

There's no validation of Dandy's position whatsoever numerous times during this "sexual focus". He's painted as someone who thinks he's deep but he's not, playing with the idea that if this were an actual space show from the 70s, he'd be dripping machismo and all the hot mamas would be drowning in his Brut. But it's clear that he's not.

They could've shown in other ways that he was a loser with the ladies. Like I said, it was a decision.

i think this probably goes back to what Bass said; it wasn't a great way to start the series because it doesn't create a good first impression. Space Hooters should've come later.

kayos90

i think this probably goes back to what Bass said; it wasn't a great way to start the series because it doesn't create a good first impression. Space Hooters should've come later.

I agree. For all I know the rest of the series can be fantastic. I mean... imagine if Darker than Black started out with that dumb two parter with Guy Kurosawa lol.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If I were you I'd rather not resort to asides and ad hominems as a way of argumentation. It brings down the quality of the discussion and all it does is make you look like a mediocre poster. =D

You're right, it was a descision but it still doesn't give the show a sexual focus. High School of the Dead has a sexual focus, there's T&A all over the place. Dandy went to space hooters because he's a looser in everything he does and wanted to be treated like a king. It's no different than how Blues Bros 2000 opened with them at a strip club to show how far they had fallen. It doesn't give it a sexual focus, right now it just means they felt it was the best place to get the idea Dandy is lame across.

People that spend too much time at strip clubs or places like Hooters are losers and creeps where I come from. Showing us it was his favorite place to be and how he interacts with the people there says a lot more than just him striking out with the ladies.

It even fits with his whole go with the flow way of life. He doesn't question why the girls like him, he just brags and gives them his money and makes them pretend he is a famous alien hunter.

kayos90

You're right, it was a descision but it still doesn't give the show a sexual focus. High School of the Dead has a sexual focus, there's T&A all over the place. Dandy went to space hooters because he's a looser in everything he does and wanted to be treated like a king. It's no different than how Blues Bros 2000 opened with them at a strip club to show how far they had fallen. It doesn't give it a sexual focus, right now it just means they felt it was the best place to get the idea Dandy is lame across.

What's T&A?

I agree. For all I know the rest of the series can be fantastic. I mean... imagine if Darker than Black started out with that dumb two parter with Guy Kurosawa lol.

indiana-jones-face-melt-o.gif

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Someone needs to post some infinite stratos gifs or hotd gifs in the dandy thread to remind people what real distracting fan service is
You guys wanna talk ACTUAL fanservice, watch/read something among the lines of Seikon no Qwaser.....or Queen's Blade....or Ikki Tousen....or Freezing....or Highschool of the Dead.....or Highschool DxD....or Senran Kagura.....or To-Love-Ru......or Ladies vs. Butlers.....or Kite.....or Mezzo Forte.....or Cutie Honey....or Kampfer.....or Green Green.....or Infinite Stratos......or Maken-ki....or Kanokon......or Strike Witches....or Vividred Operation.....or Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Bride.....or a Go Nagai anime....or Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai.....or Hagure Yuusha no Estetica......or Kagaku na Yatsura.....or Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!....or Kiss x Sis.....or Fight Ippatsu! Jūden-chan!!.....or Asa made Jugyou Chu!...

............I guess my point (or something) is if I can name ALLLLL those shows that have much more fanservice that serve little to no point to the plot, Space Dandy is TAME in comparison. I do agree that it probably would have done better if it was later in the series in order to leave a better first impression, but I feel as though people are focusing on that scene way too much & forgetting about everything awesome that happened afterwards. Besides, shouldn't judgement be reserved for AFTER the series is finished to see how many more scenes take place at the location? What if it barely appears again?

Kayos, I didn't really find Space Dandy to be a 'sexualized' show. The T&A jokes, while childish and overused, seemed to be tongue in cheek. I really don't see how you can claim Space Dandy is pandering to the lowest common denominator, can you please explain why you feel this way in depth?

Everyone else, attack the argument instead of the person or their tastes. Lets not have this devolve into a 'LOL BUT U LIKE SAO' comment fest because that doesn't really add to the discussion.

You guys wanna talk ACTUAL fanservice, watch/read something among the lines of Seikon no Qwaser.....or Queen's Blade....or Ikki Tousen....or Freezing....or Highschool of the Dead.....or Highschool DxD....or Senran Kagura.....or To-Love-Ru......or Ladies vs. Butlers.....or Kite.....or Mezzo Forte.....or Cutie Honey....or Kampfer.....or Green Green.....or Infinite Stratos......or Maken-ki....or Kanokon......or Strike Witches....or Vividred Operation.....or Hyakka Ryouran Samurai Bride.....or a Go Nagai anime....or Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai.....or Hagure Yuusha no Estetica......or Kagaku na Yatsura.....or Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne!....or Kiss x Sis.....or Fight Ippatsu! Jūden-chan!!.....or Asa made Jugyou Chu!...

Zonic, why do you torture yourself?

Or is it just a guilty pleasure? >.>

I guess I can see what kayos is saying. Establishing Dandy's loserness and Meow's perversion could have been done any other way. But to say that the show beats you over the head with sexual overtones in its attempt to do so is an exaggeration.

kayos90

Kayos, I didn't really find Space Dandy to be a 'sexualized' show. The T&A jokes, while childish and overused, seemed to be tongue in cheek. I really don't see how you can claim Space Dandy is pandering to the lowest common denominator, can you please explain why you feel this way in depth?

Everyone else, attack the argument instead of the person or their tastes. Lets not have this devolve into a 'LOL BUT U LIKE SAO' comment fest because that doesn't really add to the discussion.

While I understand it's "character building" and "worldbuilding," to me, starting out part of the episode with the sexual topics it was tackling made me view SD as a "sexualized" show. It explains upon Dandy's sexual preferences in depth and his understanding of why ass is better than boobs. It also goes onto explain Boobies, which in all honesty was really stupid in my eyes. Both of these are instances justified in that they are indeed character building and worldbuilding. It's true. However, while it's justified why it's happening, the fact that it's happening as the viewer's first impression already gives me the idea that this is what the show is about. Granted, this wasn't the entire first episode and the second half is about alien hunting. So if I boil it down to really really simple ideas, which is a bad idea but for the sake of this discussion I will, I got two messages: 1.) it's about a perverted guy and the show is perverted; 2.) it's about alien hunting.

Hopefully that answers your question. If that doesn't then point out where so I can better clarify.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So in other words, had this been later in the series, it would have left a better first impression of the show & that it might not contain as much fanservice as you feel as it's going to have?

kayos90

Imagine it'll do really well, adult swim has been pushing it a lot, the second week numbers interest me more to see if space hooters turned away a lot lf viewers.

Pretty much this. I always assume that the first episode is not a good indicator for ratings as many people watch even if they're remotely interested. It's the retention rate that matters. Sort of like MMOs lol.

So in other words, had this been later in the series, it would have left a better first impression of the show & that it might not contain as much fanservice as you feel as it's going to have?

It didn't help that the preview they put out was just the space hooters bit that stopped right as meow was introduced.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Imagine it'll do really well, adult swim has been pushing it a lot, the second week numbers interest me more to see if space hooters turned away a lot lf viewers.

This is the Adult Swim crowd, I'm sure they were perfectly okay with it.

By the way, on Saturday, one of the King of the Hill episodes on AS involved Dale working at a Hooters. Including wearing the tank top and short shorts. *listens* Oh look at that, no outrage.

*rolls eyes* Honestly, the outrage is stupid.

kayos90

It's all about perception. To put it blunt and without fluff, yes. It's like if your daughter brings in a guy who dressed like a slob. For all I know he could be a freaking genius and is an all-around great person. I believe impressions do matter. Call me shallow or whatever but I think that a first impression should set the tone for what is to follow. Well... if one has control over that first impression granted.

This is the Adult Swim crowd, I'm sure they were perfectly okay with it.

By the way, on Saturday, one of the King of the Hill episodes on AS involved Dale working at a Hooters. Including wearing the tank top and short shorts. *listens* Oh look at that, no outrage.

Nobody watches King of the Hill and that comparison is kind of a reach for what Kayos is saying. Not that I agree with his sentiments.

While I understand it's "character building" and "worldbuilding," to me, starting out part of the episode with the sexual topics it was tackling made me view SD as a "sexualized" show. It explains upon Dandy's sexual preferences in depth and his understanding of why ass is better than boobs. It also goes onto explain Boobies, which in all honesty was really stupid in my eyes. Both of these are instances justified in that they are indeed character building and worldbuilding. It's true. However, while it's justified why it's happening, the fact that it's happening as the viewer's first impression already gives me the idea that this is what the show is about. Granted, this wasn't the entire first episode and the second half is about alien hunting. So if I boil it down to really really simple ideas, which is a bad idea but for the sake of this discussion I will, I got two messages: 1.) it's about a perverted guy and the show is perverted; 2.) it's about alien hunting.

Hopefully that answers your question. If that doesn't then point out where so I can better clarify.

While I don't agree with your assessment, your line of reasoning does make sense. I just think the sexual overtones are being blown out of proportion, they were very tongue in cheek if you ask me.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks

Woah woah woah...

You're saying MEN can work at Hooters?!

It was really funny how Adult Swim kinda prepared for Space Dandy.

Showing the King of the Hill at Hooters and the Kickball Boondocks episode.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The context is that Dale tried to get a job there, and cited "sexual discrimination" if he didn't get hired. So they did to avoid a lawsuit.
I (vaguely) remember the episode, I was joking on the grounds ya never see or hear about men working at that place. Think I stopped watching the series when they moved to digital animation.

Might as well get more One Piece Skypiea watched on the grounds I don't have to deal with taking my sister to school due to snow/cancellations. On 173 & man, this new OP/ED combo is just so....cheesy/weird. Feels like an odd song to use before all the stuff that happens in the episode.

ReiGun

Aren't we all jumping the gun a bit on saying what SD is or isn't since it was only the first episode? Pretty fervent defense of a pilot episode.

kayos90

Aren't we all jumping the gun a bit on saying what SD is or isn't since it was only the first episode? Pretty fervent defense of a pilot episode.

I don't really call what's been going on here a "defense of a pilot episode." I see it as an expanded discussion of what we thought of the first episode and what it can entail for the rest of the series.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I (vaguely) remember the episode, I was joking on the grounds ya never see or hear about men working at that place. Think I stopped watching the series when they moved to digital animation.

Might as well get more One Piece Skypiea watched on the grounds I don't have to deal with taking my sister to school due to snow/cancellations. On 173 & man, this new OP/ED combo is just so....cheesy/weird. Feels like an odd song to use before all the stuff that happens in the episode.

Bon Voyage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom