• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan14| See you, Space Cowboy. Hello, Space Dandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBboy20

*just found out Yuki Kajiura scores SAO*

1343207004904.gif

Ive been meaning to buy that game actually, horrible voiceacting aside, the gameplay is apparently good and the bosses are hard as balls, still working on my huge wii collection

This is where I stand as well, was planning to mod my wii and use the undub mod on the game.

Hey, Log Horizon fans. The author needs input from Eng. fans of the series by taking a survey. Basically, they want to "localize" the classes in the game for different regions.
Wow. That's rare, isn't it? Japanese authors asking for feedback from foreign fans isn't something you see every day.

Super good. Only just realizing now that I missed yesterday's NFL playoff games. :D

I'll get around to watching this week's DVR'd Toonami, uhh, eventually. Maybe not until Thursday at this point.
Pfft. NFL can wait when you're busy having a life.

Jex

If I may interject. I think you took my post out of context. When that was posted it was exactly at the mind fuck of an ending that is the first episode. It was a joke. I am sorry you didn't interpret it as such.

I have been to AnimeGAF plenty of times. Hell I even started watching Log Horizon and other anime based on their recommendations so I hope I don't breed any ill will between ToonamiGAF and AnimeGAF. Part of the fun of watching this show live is commenting what we are seeing in front of us live. People reading it the next day may get the wrong impression.

Hope that sort of clears things up.

No problem sir, thanks for that!

bigkrev

Super good. Only just realizing now that I missed yesterday's NFL playoff games. :D

I'll get around to watching this week's DVR'd Toonami, uhh, eventually. Maybe not until Thursday at this point.

Don't worry- you missed a snoozefest in CIN, and a close but not really interesting GB game.

bigkrev

Watching Dolton implode was amusing.

But if you have ever paid attention, you should know he is a bad QB. Dude has been given more than almost any QB in the league- an Elite WR, one of the better O-lines, good RB support, multiple high draft pick TE's- and is still mostly been awful

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
*just found out Yuki Kajiura scores SAO*

1343207004904.gif
I still haven't come across a Kajiura score I like. It's usually pretty but it's either super unmemorable music or it totally chews up the scene it's in (I felt like this happened in .hack a lot).

MikeMyers

I just realized; the next InuYasha modern day episode will air on my birthday.

TOO BAD THE SUPERIOR 2ND PART AIRS THE NEXT WEEK

Amikami

Banned
Finally watched Space Dandy

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Good ehhhhhhh or bad ehhhhhh?
The Space Dandy OT is something else.

so many people getting upset over a space hooters.

It really is just space Hooters. Nothing is too ridiculous and the costumes are in character for the environment. There's not much indicating that's it'll be an episodic thing. Even the anime makes it out to be a joke. People are getting really worked up for no reason or at least too early. As long as it's not a continuous thing. Otherwise, i'd be turned off by so much fanservice.

The most offensive thing is that we were expected to laugh at the word "boobies". The breastuarant scene just wasn't as humorous as it was intended.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Evilore himself just showed up to drop a truth bomb condemning the series.

I don't disagree with him. There is no way that I would watch this with other people. It was uncomfortable enough watching it with my brother!

I do agree with the critique of the portion in the space hooters, but that wasn't the whole episode. I feel like people are throwing the whole show under the bus based on that ~10 minute portion and ignoring the superior second half. If the rest of the series is all space hooters, which I very much doubt, then everyone's hate in that thread will be justified. However if it's more like the second half of the episode then there will be some crow that needs to be served.

Finally watched Space Dandy

ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I said the same thing, albeit with a little more detail, after the first episode aired and was crucified by some people here. I mean, this is the kind of stuff those who lobbied the smallest amount of criticism had to deal with:

kayos likes SAO, Gucci likes Bleach, so who gives a single fuck what they think. Since they don't like it, it must be the greatest thing in the history of things.

And the funny thing is that I liked the first episode! Overall, I thought it was extremely flawed but rated episode 1 a 7/10 and look forward to watching another this weekend. The rediculous hype surrounding this show reminds me of KLK.

I do agree with the critique of the portion in the space hooters, but that wasn't the whole episode. I feel like people are throwing the whole show under the bus based on that ~10 minute portion and ignoring the superior second half. If the rest of the series is all space hooters, which I very much doubt, then everyone's hate in that thread will be justified. However if it's more like the second half of the episode then there will be some crow that needs to be served.

The whole 'boobies' gag was cringeworthy and juvenile in my opinion. Alright we get it, Dandy and his cat friend are pervs. However, I don't need 20 minutes of the first episode revolving around this stupid gag to get that point across. Seriously, it was more than 10 minutes, the alien hunting consisted of about 7 minutes of the whole episode and I think the character introductions were rushed. Sure you can expand on their motivations in later episodes but I'd like a little more development straight off the bat.

Yes, it has a great pedigree and awesome animation but all the people posting 'zomg this is the savior of anime' during the live watch made me shake my head. Dandy could end up being a classic but the first episode was extremely flawed and controversial.

and it's not like everything that actually happened at Space Hooters was "HAHA LOOK AT THE BOOBS' either. it's being blown way out of proportion and wasn't even bad on its own; there were very few of the lingering closeups and creative camera angles you'd probably expect.

Amikami

Banned
The whole 'boobies' gag was cringeworthy and juvenile in my opinion. Alright we get it, Dandy and his cat friend are pervs. However, I don't need 20 minutes of the first episode revolving around this stupid gag to get that point across. Seriously, it was more than 10 minutes, the alien hunting consisted of about 7 minutes of the whole episode and I think the character introductions were rushed. Sure you can expand on their motivations in later episodes but I'd like a little more development straight off the bat.

Yes, it has a great pedigree and awesome animation but all the people posting 'zomg this is the savior of anime' during the live watch made me shake my head. Dandy could end up being a classic but the first episode was extremely flawed and controversial.

You make some good points and Its not an ideal way to introduce your main characters and start off. It gives a bad first impression for a large portion of the crowd, myself included. Hopefully we don't see this become a major part of the series.

789shadow

Banned
Does Evilore even watch anime besides the few big shows that get OT's of their own? I feel like he only shows up to poo-poo whatever the big mainstream show is.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Come on, we both know it wasn't 20 minutes. The episode was 24 minutes long without commercials. Add in the narrator, Meow's plan, Dandy getting everyone lost, the bad guy's minute or two, and the space hooters section was only ~10 minutes. It only felt longer because it was paced differently than the second half.

It wasn't even KLK levels of boobies either. It's a 70's pulp space show, there were always going to be tits and asses.

I do admit the space hooters section had problems, but it wasn't nearly as bad as everyone is making it out to be. There were some genuinely great lines, and some character stuff, that resulted from it.

You make some good points and Its not an ideal way to introduce your main characters and start off. It gives a bad first impression for a large portion of the crowd, myself included. Hopefully we don't see this become a major part of the series.

I'm going to give Dandy the benefit of the doubt and keep watching but I feel like some people are blinded by unrealistic expectations and unable to even admit flaws at this point. The comedy worked for some people, which is great, but I thought it was immature and will get old quick. Hopefully they tone down the 'boobies' in future episodes and focus more on character interactions/alien hunting because those bits are where Dandy really shined.

The OT is a war zone, I can't believe how defensive some posters are getting in there.

The space hooters wasn't even there to show that Dandy was a perv. It was to show that he is a loser with a big ego. He sucks at his job and all of his stuff is old and outdated and he's too broke to fix anything.

He goes there because they are forced to treat you like a king because you pay them to just like real ass Hooters. It's the one place where he can be hotshot Space Dandy. He even tells the girls to call him that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom