• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan14| See you, Space Cowboy. Hello, Space Dandy

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny if the space hooters scene had happened in say episode 5 or 8 people wouldn't probably complain anywhere near as much as they do. It really was a stupid decision to start the series with that.

Also space hooters/boobs jokes was only 1/3 of the episode about 8 minutes out of 24 and it was innerlaced with narration and the action scene of dandy chasing meow.

Kusagari

I seriously feel like I watched a different anime than some people, because I barely noticed any fanservice at all.

The Space Hooters part seemed to focus far more on juvenile boob jokes and Dandy/Meow being pervy losers than actually showing any form of titillation.

If you didn't laugh at
"I don't read circle!"
then I don't know what to tell you.

Feel like nothing can be simply enjoyed these days, everything has to be analyzed to death.

Raxus

Does Evilore even watch anime besides the few big shows that get OT's of their own? I feel like he only shows up to poo-poo whatever the big mainstream show is.

He seemed to like AoT until they reached the episodes where it started to drag a bit. A shame too because the arc following after that point is pretty amazing.

Come on, we both know it wasn't 20 minutes. The episode was 24 minutes long without commercials. Add in the narrator, Meow's plan, Dandy getting everyone lost, the bad guy's minute or two, and the space hooters section was only ~10 minutes. It only felt longer because it was paced differently than the second half.

It wasn't even KLK levels of boobies either. It's a 70's pulp space show, there were always going to be tits and asses.

I do admit the space hooters section had problems, but it wasn't nearly as bad as everyone is making it out to be. There were some genuinely great lines, and some character stuff, that resulted from it.

The 'boobies' crap encompasses more than just the resturant. Dandy started off pandering to 12 year old boys and basement dwelling anime fanatics from the get-go and stayed in that mode until Meow started telling them where to find rare aliens. It wasn't just 10 minutes, the point is that it went on way too long in my opinion. That type of comedy makes me roll my eyes, not giggle.

I didn't compare it to KLK in terms of 'fanservice' so I don't know why that connection is being made; I just commented on how the rediculous amount of hype after one episode is similar. My complaint with the tit and ass jokes has nothing to do with fanservice because Dandy contained none in the first episode as far as I'm concerned. It has to do with the fact that I found the bit to be juvenile and dragged out. Just my opinion.

I found Space Hooters to be cringeworthy for the most part but the action sequence where Dandy traps Meow was awesome. I want more of that and less emphasis on how perverted the main characters are because I get that, no need to constantly remind me.

If you didn't laugh at
"I don't read circle!"
then I don't know what to tell you.

Feel like nothing can be simply enjoyed these days, everything has to be analyzed to death.

I've seen the episode twice and didn't laugh. Sorry man, not everyone is going to find the same things funny.

And being critical isn't a bad thing nor is this place an echo chamber. I like the diverse opinions.

I seriously feel like I watched a different anime than some people, because I barely noticed any fanservice at all.

The Space Hooters part seemed to focus far more on juvenile boob jokes and Dandy/Meow being pervy losers than actually showing any form of titillation.

this is what i've been saying, basically. i mean, if you thought it wasn't funny then fine, but characterizing it as going overboard with fanservice simply isn't true. hell, a lot of Space Hooters was focused on QT looking at crazy aliens and being outdated instead of boob jokes.

:/ People calling Space Dandy a fanservice show are weirding me out. Bay Watch was a fanservice show. The Monogatari series could be called a fanservice show. Dandy went to a freaking Hooters restaurant and I can count on one hand almost all the scenes that were actually spent focused on boobs. It's not like the guy was playing a ballpit filled with disembodied boobies for 10 minutes. They showed girls (and aliens) in bikinis. Honestly, if that is too much for you then I worry about how'd you react at the beach. The rest of the time Dandy was talking to his robot and chasing an alien cat. Now that I can remember. Either people on this forum are becoming more prudish or I've spent too much time jerking off to my waifu in the basement where I apparently live.

I don't think anyone in this thread is trying to claim that Dandy had fanservice in its first episode. Over in the OT there are some posters claiming that, but not here as far as I know.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
:/ People calling Space Dandy a fanservice show are weirding me out. Bay Watch was a fanservice show. The Monogatari series could be called a fanservice show. Dandy went to a freaking Hooters restaurant and I can count on one hand almost all the scenes that were actually spent focused on boobs. It's not like the guy was playing a ballpit filled with disembodied boobies for 10 minutes. They showed girls (and aliens) in bikinis. Honestly, if that is too much for you then I worry about how'd you react at the beach. The rest of the time Dandy was talking to his robot and chasing an alien cat. Now that I can remember. Either people on this forum are becoming more prudish or I've spent too much time jerking off to my waifu in the basement where I apparently live.

I think everyone just expected something entirely different, despite all the previews telling them not to expect those things.

The whole 'boobies' gag was cringeworthy and juvenile in my opinion. Alright we get it, Dandy and his cat friend are pervs. However, I don't need 20 minutes of the first episode revolving around this stupid gag to get that point across. Seriously, it was more than 10 minutes, the alien hunting consisted of about 7 minutes of the whole episode and I think the character introductions were rushed. Sure you can expand on their motivations in later episodes but I'd like a little more development straight off the bat.

"20 minutes"? Ehhh, I'd say it's ten at the most, and it feels like an aside. I think it started weak, but picked up in the second half.

Someone needs to post some infinite stratos gifs or hotd gifs in the dandy thread to remind people what real distracting fan service is

"20 minutes"? Ehhh, I'd say it's ten at the most, and it feels like an aside. I think it started weak, but picked up in the second half.

Okay, lets stop keying in on the '20 minutes' portion of my post guys. I was including commercial breaks most likely, my bad. My point still stands though, here is what I said IMMEDIATELY after Dandy aired:

The first 20 minutes or so of Dandy was pretty terrible, especially the cringeworthy 'boobies' crap. The last ~7 minutes though were pure bliss. The animation and music were top notch but the humor fell completely flat for me. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Dandy but hopefully it's more alien hunting than breasturant bullshit.

7/10

The second half definitely picked up but the first portion had subpar character development and comedy that fell flat in my opinion. These are things that can be fixed, it's not like I hated the first episode.

789shadow

Banned
Watch anime, you are a pedo -GAF

exactly. this is why it bugs me to see the first half reduced to "just boob jokes", in addition to the claims of excess fanservice.

Moaradin

The fanservice stuff was blown out of proportion. The extent of the fanservice was a dude going to Space Hooters. That's it.

TheChits

The fanservice stuff was blown out of proportion. The extent of the fanservice was a dude going to Space Hooters. That's it.

Look man, there was no reason for girls working at "Hooters" to show cleavage. Those few minutes prove that this fanservice show is about appealing to the body pillow fleshlight basement virgin demo. Obviously

I think everyone just expected something entirely different, despite all the previews telling them not to expect those things.

Then people r dodos. There was a whole slew of articles complaining about the boobage in the promos. And even then the show wasn't that booby centered anyways.

I don't think anyone in this thread is trying to claim that Dandy had fanservice in its first episode. Over in the OT there are some posters claiming that, but not here as far as I know.

Well then people complaining about the fanservice are weirding me out. I know what it's like, guys. I was raised in a religious household and wasn't allowed to see people kissing in movies till I was like 11. So trust me when I say that I get where you're coming from. When something is too risque, even if i'm watching by myself, i'll still feel slightly embarrassed. But you guys are acting like this was the Orgy Hour with Caligula and Space Dandy. It was a couple of minutes of girls in bikinis. I've seen skimpier outfits on broadcast television. I guess what i'm trying to say is that you guys are overreacting about just how racy or boob-focused the show was. So, as an ex-religious person who wasn't allowed to see the upside down Spiderman kissing scene when he went to check out the movie, I'm asking y'all to chill with the exaggerations

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Then people r dodos. There was a whole slew of articles complaining about the boobage in the promos. And even then the show wasn't that booby centered anyways.

Well then people complaining about the fanservice are weirding me out. I know what it's like, guys. I was raised in a religious household and wasn't allowed to see people kissing in movies till I was like 11. So trust me when I say that I get where you're coming from. When something is too risque, even if i'm watching by myself, i'll still feel slightly embarrassed. But you guys are acting like this was the Orgy Hour with Caligula and Space Dandy. It was a couple of minutes of girls in bikinis. I've seen skimpier outfits on broadcast television. I guess what i'm trying to say is that you guys are overreacting about just how racy or boob-focused the show was. So, as an ex-religious person who wasn't allowed to see the upside down Spiderman kissing scene when he went to check out the movie, I'm asking y'all to chill with the exaggerations

Pretty much what a lot of us are saying.

Look man, there was no reason for girls working at "Hooters" to show cleavage. Those few minutes prove that this fanservice show is about appealing to the body pillow fleshlight basement virgin demo. Obviously
I think he was complaining more so that the show has a space hooters, not that animated women had their breasts hanging out.

The 'fanservice' claims are being overblown because there was none. However, the complaints regarding the juvenile nature of the comedy that happened to revolve around T&A most of the episode are justified in my opinion. Dandy twirling his gun and dropping it? Hilarious. QT beaming a large alien up to the ship and then blowing everyone up on his incompetent partners orders? Too funny. Dandy obsessing over boobs and butts like a preteen for an extended period of time? Cringeworthy.

That's just how I feel.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'm mostly annoyed by the fanservice because of how it doesn't play into things at all. The show started out by pandering to the lowest denominator and then immediately switched focus half way to something that had nothing to do with the first 10 minutes that preceded it beyond the dumb cat. They could've chosen any place but they didn't. It was a conscious decision and the very fact that they started out this way irks me. The show isn't something like some lowgrade almost-hentai garbage like HotD or Highschool DXD. That's not what this is. So why did the first episode start out with this kind of fanservice and why did they put such an emphasis on it? It's completely mediocre.

I'm mostly annoyed by the fanservice because of how it doesn't play into things at all. The show started out by pandering to the lowest denominator and then immediately switched focus half way to something that had nothing to do with the first 10 minutes that preceded it beyond the dumb cat. They could've chosen any place but they didn't. It was a conscious decision and the very fact that they started out this way irks me. The show isn't something like some lowgrade almost-hentai garbage like HotD or Highschool DXD. That's not what this is. So why did the first episode start out with this kind of fanservice and why did they put such an emphasis on it? It's completely mediocre.

The cat is established as a pervert who takes pictures of girls boobs and crotches, where was dandy supposed to meet him besides space hooters? Space beach?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

What fanservice? There was none. It was space hooters, Dandy went there because he sucks at his job and it's the only place where he gets treated like a king.

and there's the exaggeration i'm talking about.

kayos90

The cat is established as a pervert who takes pictures of girls boobs and crotches, where was dandy supposed to meet him besides space hooters? Space beach?

So we have two personalities that overtly express their sexuality and the show now will compliment this idea and create what could possibly be a panderfest. Awesome.

and there's the exaggeration i'm talking about.

How is it exaggeration. The second half was legitimately awesome. In fact I felt like I was watching two different shows in the first half and the second half. The stark change makes me believe that it wasn't transitioned well because they were trying to pander.

What fanservice? There was none. It was space hooters, Dandy went there because he sucks at his job and it's the only place where he gets treated like a king.

So because he went to a place that had boobs it doesn't count as fanservice? I guess we can rule out the fact that the shower scene in Steins;Gate wasn't fanservice because it was the perfect situation where Okabe couldn't reach our heroine duo and he rushed back to them showering. Both are instances of fanservice.

How is it exaggeration. The second half was legitimately awesome. In fact I felt like I was watching two different shows in the first half and the second half. The stark change makes me believe that it wasn't transitioned well because they were trying to pander.

it's exaggeration because you aren't actually separating the fact that they went to Space Hooters with how that entire sequence was handled. that opening speech was probably the biggest focus on fan service there actually was. hell, you tried to compare this to Sword Art Online a while back, and that's fucking ridiculous. if Space Hooters was meant to pander, then the show actually failed at pandering.

kayos90

it's exaggeration because you aren't actually separating the fact that they went to Space Hooters with how that entire sequence was handled. that opening speech was probably the biggest focus on fan service there actually was.

There is a consistent tone and focus between the opening narration to Dandy's "speech" and his visit to the dumb restaurant. It was all cohesive. The entire sequence then completely drops the ball into a whole different ball game.

TheChits

I used to think I hated fan service, but now I just say that I have no idea what even constitutes fan service. A Zapp Brannigan/Johnny Bravo skirt chaser going to a hooters type place doesn't seem out of the ordinary to me, so I don't really see it as pandering

There is a consistent tone and focus between the opening narration to Dandy's "speech" and his visit to the dumb restaurant. It was all cohesive. The entire sequence then completely drops the ball into a whole different ball game.

i don't see how any of this is supposed to refute that the focus really wasn't on fanservice or pandering. the weird transition is just awkward writing.

Kusagari

It really doesn't. The first half establishes that Dandy is a lecherous, skirt chasing loser. The second half establishes that he still finds himself bumbling through crazy space adventures all the same.

It really isn't that out of the ordinary. In fact it's the dynamic that really should have been expected when it was revealed as a space comedy.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

He's Johnny Bravo in space! Where did you expect him to go? Even regular Johnny Bravo went to places where the girls had big tits and nice figures. If they went to a normal restaurant and it turned into space hooters then yea, I'm with you. Or if his power-up required seeing lots of girls naked.

I used to think I hated fan service, but now I just say that I have no idea what even constitutes fan service. A Zapp Brannigan/Johnny Bravo skirt chaser going to a hooters type place doesn't seem out of the ordinary to me, so I don't really see it as pandering

I don't think it really counts as fanservice myself. It's not random T&A or a flimsy excuse for naked ladies. It's Johnny Bravo going to a restaurant with big titty waitresses.

kayos90

It really doesn't. The first half establishes that Dandy is a lecherous, skirt chasing loser. The second half establishes that he still finds himself bumbling through crazy space adventures all the same.

It really isn't that out of the ordinary. In fact it's the dynamic that really should have been expected when it was revealed as a space comedy.

I see it as a mediocre space comedy with good animation filled with overt sexual tones to pander to the lowest common denominator. I see it as no different from people who get super excited about SAO in that it caters to whimsies and fantasies of young teenagers.

Not all fan service is made the same, space dandy is the most tame type of fan service you can concieve. The only part that is remotely "bad" is when they showed a close up off bouncing boobs while explaining what a breastaraunt was. That shot was not required and was fan service.

I see it as a mediocre space comedy with good animation filled with overt sexual tones to pander to the lowest common denominator. I see it as no different from people who get super excited about SAO in that it caters to whimsies and fantasies of young teenagers.

Lolololol

If you can't see the difference between space hooters and the shenanigans sao pulls I'm sorry. Lets put it this way, everyone in space dandy is 18+ at least, every girl depicted as appealing in sao is 12-16.

Not all fan service is made the same, space dandy is the most tame type of fan service you can concieve. The only part that is remotely "bad" is when they showed a close up off bouncing boobs while explaining what a breastaraunt was. That shot was not required and was fan service.

i wouldn't even really call THAT fan service because it transitioned to something with four boobs and then to some weird reptilian creature because it was making a joke. i noticed more "LOOK BOOBS!" camera angles in that episode of Sword Art Online than Space Dandy.

kayos90

Lolololol

If you can't see the difference between space hooters and the shenanigans sao pulls I'm sorry. Lets put it this way, everyone in space dandy is 18+ at least, every girl depicted as appealing in sao is 12-16.

I see the difference. SAO has a whole laundry list of why it's terrible. Space Dandy has one. The reasons of why SAO is terrible and why Space Dandy is terrible are similar in that they both pander. I'm not saying SAO doesn't have plot armor or whatever BS kirito pulls. I already know that. Don't red herring this argument. It has no relevancy at all. Not sure why you're arguing, bringing up a topic, and then putting emphasis on a point that I didn't even bother bringing up.

I always try to understand the mindset of those that make a large fuss over fanservice in a show like Dandy and call it pandering.

I'm just flabbergasted.

See, now you're acting crazy. There's nothing of Dandy that says "wish fulfillment". The guy collects Hooters banners for pete's sake. He's not some super suave dude picking up chicks with a snap of his fingers. He's just some average loser. Hunny (or Honey) completely blows him off the second another interesting client makes some noise. Moreover, the dude is a total moron and a terrible alien hunter. This guy doesn't have Spike's charisma or charm and he certainly doesn't have Mugen's skills. You're not supposed to admire Dandy trying to act suave in front of the waitress. You're supposed to laugh at how bad he strikes out.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I see the difference. SAO has a whole laundry list of why it's terrible. Space Dandy has one. The reasons of why SAO is terrible and why Space Dandy is terrible are similar in that they both pander. I'm not saying SAO doesn't have plot armor or whatever BS kirito pulls. I already know that. Don't red herring this argument. It has no relevancy at all. Not sure why you're arguing, bringing up a topic, and then putting emphasis on a point that I didn't even bother bringing up.

Oh come on, it's Johnny Bravo in space. There's no wish fulfillment going on there, the guy's a failure in everything he does.

It's tame compared to a lot of the fan service in everything else on the block. There haven't been any tentacle monsters or girls with freakishly large tits or sex scenes or little sisters lusting after their older brothers or randomly skimpy outfits.

almost everything related to showing some skin in Space Dandy is either a joke or part of establishing a character. you can count on one hand the number of times they're showing you some tits for no particular reason and you won't even use all the fingers. Sword Art Online can make neither of those claims, hence why it's pandering. the simple fact that they're making boob jokes does not automatically mean they're pandering; this just comes off as saying they're not allowed to have any kind of comedy related to that kind of stuff. it's really a terrible comparison.

kayos90

How does Dandy being a loser and him not getting women have anything to do with the fact that the show tries to rub its overt sexual tones in your face? It doesn't. So I'm not entirely sure we're even on the same page.

Branduil

But... you like SAO.

Space Dandy had one scene at space hooters establishing him as a loser that just happens to be hooters aka waitresses wear skimpy outfits. The scene isn't well done, but to say it's ruined because fanservice is just wrong unless all girls in outfits that show boobs are fanservice.

Kusagari

How does Dandy being a loser and him not getting women have anything to do with the fact that the show tries to rub its overt sexual tones in your face? It doesn't. So I'm not entirely sure we're even on the same page.

How would you portray that in a better way than Space Dandy did? If anything, considering two of the main characters are giant pervs, the fact that the actual fanservice was so nonexistent was incredibly surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom