• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |Jan14| See you, Space Cowboy. Hello, Space Dandy

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOLDSFAN

As a little kid snow was awesome because it was a new experience for you and your childhood friends to play in. Sledding down steep hills, ice skating on frozen ponds, snowball fights in the streets, building ice forts in your backyard...those were some great times. When you got a little older, lets say teenage years, snow was appreciated mostly due to the fact that it could get you out of school, giving you more precious time to sleep in. The rest of the day would be spent playing video games and lounging around watching TV without a care in the world.

Fast forward to adulthood. Snow becomes something you are forced to battle, turning from a powerful ally into a deadly foe. Think of the Sasuke-Naruto relationship and you'll understand what I'm getting at.

Snow wastes time. Shoveling the driveway/sidewalk, digging your car out, scraping ice off the windshield at 7AM, waiting for the car to heat up and defrost, trying not to die on your way to work due to slick roads and decreased visibility...

I hate snow and ice.

I still like snow. Also Mario Kart taught me how to drive in snow so I'm ok.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Aside from having to drive on the ice (especially since I live on the outskirts of town), I don't mind snow. I kind of prefer winter because I find it easier & more enjoyable to warm up from the cold compared to summer & trying to cool off from the heat. Feels nice having an electric blanket in bed, watching videos online as I warm myself up from the 10-ish degree weather.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I still like snow. Also Mario Kart taught me how to drive in snow so I'm ok.

:lol same here

HT0FPod.gif

Aside from having to drive on the ice (especially since I live on the outskirts of town), I don't mind snow. I kind of prefer winter because I find it easier & more enjoyable to warm up from the cold compared to summer & trying to cool off from the heat. Feels nice having an electric blanket in bed, watching videos online as I warm myself up from the 10-ish degree weather.
This man gets it. Rain and heat are much worse weather conditions. Rain makes roads just as slippery and the heat can kill you. At least you can have fun in the snow.

Seda

When I was in elementary school I didn't like snow/winter. Still don't. Cold, messy, and gets dark too early.

This man gets it. Rain and heat are much worse weather conditions. Rain makes roads just as slippery and the heat can kill you. At least you can have fun in the snow.

I lived in Florida for 6 years, I lived in New England for 9, the amount of accidents and deaths caused by snow is far greater then the number caused by rain and heat

Also the amount of idiots who drive too fast and lose control in the rain does not magically make it more dangerous then snow. Far too many safe drivers lose control in the snow and there is nothing they can do about it other then pray.

Also the amount of idiots who drive too fast and lose control in the rain does not magically make it more dangerous then snow. Far too many safe drivers lose control in the snow and there is nothing they can do about it other then pray.
This x1000, driving in the snow and ice is such a crapshoot. There's a reason why school gets cancelled for these conditions and not rain.

The same could be said of rain and vice-versa.

Lies and slander.

Until you drive in the snow and see it more then once in your life you have no right to compare and say which is more dangerous. Snow only happens at best 3-4 months the year, rain can happen in all of them so rain related accidents are "more likely" because there is a greater opportunity for them. If snow and rain happened year round that number would be very different.

Anyone who wants to question this go to your nearest ice skating rink and try running across it in your shoes, then when it rains try running in a flooded area. Come back to me and tell me which was harder

Until you drive in the snow and see it more then once in your life you have no right to compare and say which is more dangerous. Snow only happens at best 3-4 months the year, rain can happen in all of them so rain related accidents are "more likely" because there is a greater opportunity for them. If snow and rain happened year round that number would be very different.
But snow and rain are equally dangerous to drive on. They both make cars hard to control, no? Unless there's some added danger i'm not thinking of.

But snow and rain are equally dangerous to drive on. They both make cars hard to control, no? Unless there's some added danger i'm not thinking of.

Yes there is, snow can be mixed with ice, or hide ice and that's what makes it so dangerous. It can also completely cover the road making it much harder to see your path. Flooding sucks and can make it difficult to drive, but you need a lot of rain for this to happen. A small amount of snow can be enough to drastically alter your driving ability and slow you down almost 50% as the link you posted shows. Snow is also heavier and can clog your wheels which makes it easier to skid even on sanded roads. Until sand is put down even half an inch of snow is dangerous, a light rain barely impacts people.

Yes there is, snow can be mixed with ice, or hide ice and that's what makes it so dangerous. It can also completely cover the road making it much harder to see your path. Flooding sucks and can make it difficult to drive, but you need a lot of rain for this to happen. A small amount of snow can be enough to drastically alter your driving ability and slow you down almost 50% as the link you posted shows. Snow is also heavier and can clog your wheels which makes it easier to skid even on sanded roads. Until sand is put down even half an inch of snow is dangerous, a light rain barely impacts people.
Snow and ice can be melted or plowed. Rain cannot be removed

Snow and ice can be melted or plowed. Rain cannot be removed

Yeah well if the world could stop for that to happen it'd be perfect, but the fact is things don't work that way.

Schadenfreude when everyone who's actually driven in snow is saying it's worse and you've only even seen the stuff once you aren't going to win this. Nobody changes their plans due to a bit of rain, everyone does due to a bit of snow. Come visit new england during the next blizzard and I'll let you try to drive up an icy mountain with some sand and see how easy it is.

Fun fact, my road is plowed and sanded, and I still couldn't get traction to get up a hill to get to work today

Space Dandy starts this Saturday? I haven't watched anything on Toonami since DMW ended, so I guess it's time to make my return. :p

bigkrev

I'm super happy I don't work a crappy hourly job anymore that would fire me if I didn't come in due to snow. I can't drive in the stuff at all, and hate it with every fiber of my being.

My rule of thumb is that if it is actively snowing in the morning or there are more than 2 inches accumulated on the roads, i'm calling out. If it starts snowing in the middle of the day and it is sticking at all, i'm leaving early.

I don't fuck around with snow.

Alright, gonna give my final thoughts on the subject before Seda hits me Luffy-style. The fact is that good drivers can (and do) lose control of their vehicles in the rain. If it rained and snowed equally in the US, i'm sure there'd be less snow related deaths because there are countermeasures for snow covered roads whereas there are no countermeasures for rain. Moreover, people who live in places where it snows a lot can get snow tires. Thus snow is the better weather condition as the danger and risks of snow can be minimized and you get the added benefit of enjoying the snow. Rain just sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom